CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

turn key on and the display has no P and S..or C showing...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-15-2019, 11:01 PM
ON SUSPENSION

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clk 320
turn key on and the display has no P and S..or C showing...

Hi guys, I'm a new to the forum I see lots of info. but nothing like the problem I am having. I have a 2005 CLK320 convertible and sometimes it will work just fine and other times not... it will start but has no P or S or..C in the instrument display for gears. Sometimes I can turn it off and on and it will work, but when it don't work ( like right now ) I can shift to drive and it will jump and I can't shift past neutral. I have to turn off key.. foot on brake and shifter will move up and down. If I try to drive i'm in limp mode..I've checked the 13 pin connecter and it is clean. There is a little fluid on the bottom of transmission but none appears up in the wires. I've heard it could be the shifter module. If any of you folks have had this problem..I would very much appreciate any advice. Thank you, and good to be here...Don Akers.
Old 09-16-2019, 03:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 731 Likes on 702 Posts
2013 C204 C250 Coupe
Hey Don welcome. Try posting your issue in the CLK forum for best results. Please post a photo when you get a chance.
Old 09-16-2019, 08:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 679 Likes on 644 Posts
2014 E350 also restored: 1969 Camaro convertible SS 1957 Chevy Belair 2dr hardtop
Welcome please post a picture of your ride
Old 09-16-2019, 10:48 AM
Super Moderator

Received 769 Likes on 748 Posts
bone stock E55 AMG
moved to W209 forum...
Old 09-16-2019, 03:55 PM
ON SUSPENSION

Clk 320
Thank you, I did upload a pic to my profile..not sure if it went to the right place. I searched CLK and I think I found the page, no reply yet. Thanks... Don.
Old 09-17-2019, 01:28 PM

2003 S500
Originally Posted by Don Akers
Hi guys, I'm a new to the forum I see lots of info. but nothing like the problem I am having. I have a 2005 CLK320 convertible and sometimes it will work just fine and other times not... it will start but has no P or S or..C in the instrument display for gears. Sometimes I can turn it off and on and it will work, but when it don't work ( like right now ) I can shift to drive and it will jump and I can't shift past neutral. I have to turn off key.. foot on brake and shifter will move up and down. If I try to drive i'm in limp mode..I've checked the 13 pin connecter and it is clean. There is a little fluid on the bottom of transmission but none appears up in the wires. I've heard it could be the shifter module. If any of you folks have had this problem..I would very much appreciate any advice. Thank you, and good to be here...Don Akers.
I have this exact same situation on my 2000 s430. Some days it will work great, other days I'm stuck driving home at 42mph. I've pulled some codes, and it points to either the wheel speed sensors, not communicating on the can bus, and the other code is the shifter module not communicating on the can bus. I've also replaced the plug and conductor plate on the transmission, fluids, filter, Cleaned the TCU, etc. So I'm expecting that the shifter needs to be replaced. I read somewhere that if I replace the ECU,EIS, Key and shifter, all from the same vehicle, then I don't need to have them coded to the car. That honestly sounds like the least expensive option, rather than buying the shifter module and having MB program it to the car. Can anyone confirm that the multi-piece replacement works?
Old 09-17-2019, 11:54 PM
ON SUSPENSION

Clk 320
Hi, and thanks..I'm new to MB's and I don't know what the can bus is. I checked the 13 pin connecter..it was dry I sprayed some contact cleaner on it and all wires. There is a small amount of fluid on the bottom flywheel converter not bad, and no fluid wicking up the wires. After I did that it worked great for about 4 or 5 days, I went out to check it like I did every day..and this time key on..no P---S on display. I put it in drive and it jumps ( always does that when it's not working right ) now it wont shift past N. Turn key off foot on brake...goes back to P ( shifter ) not display. I've also heard that it could be transmission recognizer sensor which is on the circuit board in shifter mod. They say you have to get one from a MB parts dealer and give them your vin number so it will match. This one post said just any used one wont work...I'm not sure about that. I've worked on cars and trucks my whole life, but these MB's are a *****. feel free to reply anytime.
Thanks...Don
Old 09-19-2019, 10:12 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 1,004 Likes on 872 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
When you don't get the gear indicator on the instrument cluster, it's usually a bad gearshift module. One the W209 CLK, this can be replaced with a new or used part, no coding needed.
Old 09-19-2019, 04:09 PM
ON SUSPENSION

Clk 320
Hi, I did upload one, but not sure if it went to the right page??? Thanks, good to be here. Don.
Old 09-19-2019, 04:24 PM
ON SUSPENSION

Clk 320
Rodney, I don't mind keeping things open to the forum. I so appreciate your info and hope others do as well. So if we can solve a problem someone might have also..that's what it's all about. Having said that if need be I don't a PM. I was glad to hear you can use a used shift module, cause there was a post on here that said you had to get it from a MB part dealer using your vin# or it would not work. I thought i'd take the module out and clean it with contact cleaner??? Okay I'll shut up for now, I kinda like cars to...but I love my MB. Thanks, Don Akers.