CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Backup Camera and Head Unit Installation questions - CLK - setup, parts, limitations?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-15-2024, 01:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smart 451
Backup Camera and Head Unit Installation questions - CLK - setup, parts, limitations?

I've searched far and wide on this forum and others, watched a bunch of youtube videos but still have a few questions regarding back up camera and head unit installation (some of them are pretty dated and/or applicable to the chinese android units which I am trying to avoid); appreciate the patience and apologies for the wall of words! I also wanted to write out so it'll be easier for people to find in the future, etc (also tried to write model numbers out as links break over time and i ran into a bunch of dead ends when people only provided links to parts..). I don't expect anyone to have all the answers but if possible, chime in where you can? And feel free to skip to the questions, a lot of this is background and/or less important questions. It's been a crazy multifaceted research journey and it's only just begun for something pretty simple but refuse to pay a thousand dollars for an install if parts/cables alone are $1,200 to $1,500 alone..
Will be receiving 2005 CLK55 amg cabriolet (convertible) a week or so and the first thing I need to do is get Apple Wireless Carplay and install a backup camera -- for modern comforts and also because my parking spot is TINY since I had no idea how large this car is. Thought it'd be small given it's a 2-door coupe but alas, I was mistaken.

First section is equipment, any feedback appreciated. Second is on wiring/installation Background:
- Car: '05 CLK55 AMG Cabriolet
- Current HU: 2.0 Command
- Audio: Harman Kardon optical fiber 10 speaker system

- Target setup: Sony XAV-AX6000 ($700): 7" receiver, Wireless CarPlay (no wired CarPlay)
  • Might consider downgrading to Sony XAV-AX4000 ($500) 7" but resistive screen and complaints about glare;
  • Won't get Wired-only CarPlay with Sony XAV-AX8100 ($650) 9" but no Wireless CarPlay and don't need floating screen as I want it to sit flush
  • Can't really justify the next level up to Sony XAV-9000ES ($800) +$100 7" and terrible reviews;
  • Can't justify Sony XAV-9500ES ($1,400) +$700 or 2x for 10.1" screen and an additional camera input;
  • Would consider Alpine iLX-507 ($750) +$50 similar specs to AX6000 but don't think the bottom buttons look good..
  • They didn't announce any new Head Units at CES and last year it took 6+ months for the Sony's to be available;
    • Alpine iLX-W670 is supposed to be the successor to the iLX-507 better looking buttons and but wired CarPlay only?! c'mon
    • Any Pioneer units equivalent to the AX6000?
Are there any recommended Dash Kit for 7" screens, aside from the Metra 99-8724B Dash Kit that Crutchfield recommends?
  • Can provide manufacturers and I can dig further...
  • Read previous mention of Scosche but didn't find compatible Dash kit on current site (only for 2002-2004 -- none for 2005, 2006

- Keeping factor amp and rear set up Connects2 CT51-MC07 Amplifier Interface: I know that without bypassing, this the fade work work but rather do less work/spend less money; or Seicane 2005 2006 Mercedes-Benz CLK-W209
- Retaining steering wheel controls: Axxess ASWC-1 Steering Wheel Control Adapter
- Rear/Backup Camera hardwired: don't want to go wireless as I feel it's janky/deal with interference (although it's 2024, this should be solved by now..)
  • This should be simple, will find any random one w/ high resolution, low profile, low light, and 25ft+ cable... does anyone have a wiring guide for W209 convertible or I will just wing it as per the other ones..
  • Will take recommendations if any are stellar!

- Wiring harness: just going with what Crutchfield is recommending Metra 70-9003 Receiver Wiring Harness
  • See last questions below about using existing GPS antenna and Microphone
  • Also would get Metra 40-EU10 Antenna Adapter to plug into existing radio antenna..

Key Questions:
  • Is there an ACC power source in/near the trunk of CLK55 AMG? or should I tap the one near HU for rear camera?
  • Can I tap the ACC power source for both the rear camera (^^) and for the Optical decoder thing?
  • Even if these two questions (^^) are 'Yes', how does the HU know when the car is shifted in reverse to switch the input on the display?
  • Would I still need to splice into the rear brake light power for the camera to send signal to HU to switch display?
  • Am I missing something about CANBUS that does this? if so, how does it trigger?
  • Sony HU say's comes with GPS antenna (attached 10' cable terminated by a FAKRA connector), can I use the pre-existing GPS antenna (assuming there is one..)?
  • Same question (^^) for microphone
  • For the questions about existing GPS and microphone, will the Metra wiring harness force me to replace the GPS/Mic or complicate the install if elect to keep existing equipment?
  • What does the parking break feature in Head Units do? The Crutchfield install kit says the install package isn't compatible but not sure what functionality this even provides..
  • Do I have a speed pulse line in? Sony manual says it's for CarPlay, does this exist in W209 existing equipment?

Thank you very much in advanced!
Old 01-15-2024, 09:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 420 Likes on 346 Posts
MB’s
I hate to be the bearer of bad news here and I am sorry I am. Like yourself I was extremely happy to do this type of a setup to my CLK’s. At one point I had 3 CLK’s 320, 350 and 55AMG. I wanted to do it to all of them. Once was enough. The aftermarket units are just not of good quality nor are they reliable. Constant cutting out, functions now missing such as the clock,Bluetooth issues, slow to turn on. I hate to say it but it really is best to just keep it OEM. Find a aux cord and run it into your phone and listen to music that way. It works 100% of the time. The amount of time, energy and money to complete these installs are best spent somewhere else.
The following users liked this post:
SF2LA (01-15-2024)
Old 01-15-2024, 10:12 PM

Smart 451
@C280 Sport which HU did you go with? Was it a chinese/android one? could that be the source of the issues (and not necessarily, the wiring and the adaptors, etc)?

For wiring, I got a bunch of answers on this "Seicane Head Unit for 2009 W209 Harmon Kardon" thread from @spsc01

Last edited by SF2LA; 01-15-2024 at 10:31 PM.
Old 01-16-2024, 02:40 AM

Smart 451
Going to keep going until maybe someone chimes in and/or I figure it out. Between the Connects2 and the Seicane Digital decoders for HK, the difference is just the Red (ACC) Wire (see photos/screenshots). Why doesn't Seicane unit have ACC wire? (this Thread was helpful and kind of alluded to otherwise..?). Would it possible persistently drain the battery, Of if it's powered by cigarette 12V does it do both the power and the trigger in one?

Connects 2 Diagram (w/ Red ACC wire)

Old 01-16-2024, 03:23 AM

Smart 451
Another long thread for reference
Old 01-16-2024, 05:24 AM

Smart 451
Fiber optical loop thread for CD changer removal
Old 01-16-2024, 05:52 AM

Smart 451
Potentially useful component (if I cannot locate the speed pulse output; supposed to be green and white wire in passenger door sill..) -- CAN Bus Speed and RPM interface
Old 01-16-2024, 05:54 AM

Smart 451
Originally Posted by SF2LA
Going to keep going until maybe someone chimes in and/or I figure it out. Between the Connects2 and the Seicane Digital decoders for HK, the difference is just the Red (ACC) Wire (see photos/screenshots). Why doesn't Seicane unit have ACC wire? (this Thread was helpful and kind of alluded to otherwise..?). Would it possible persistently drain the battery, Of if it's powered by cigarette 12V does it do both the power and the trigger in one?

Connects 2 Diagram (w/ Red ACC wire)

Update: reached out to Seicane and they said their decoder (without the ACC power) is only compatible with their HU
Old 01-16-2024, 02:09 PM

Smart 451
Thread on W209 CANBUS system w/ diagrams; i think the 2005 has the D2B system. I still cant figure out if I need something like this adapter in order to get the reverse trigger for camera (to signal into HU...)
Old 01-16-2024, 09:11 PM

Smart 451
W209 rear fuse box diagram

Another diagram but doesn't have 5 / 7 / 11 / 12 labeled

PDF

Thinking to use fuse #11 or 12... if it's ACC (tbd)

Last edited by SF2LA; 01-17-2024 at 06:46 PM.
Old 01-17-2024, 06:17 AM
SPONSOR

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Only need to plug in the cigarette lighter to use wireless CarPlay or Android auto, and you can use the original car audio. We can sponsor one for free. If anyone wants to try it, please contact us.
https://carlinklife.com/products/7-5...-screen-player

Old 01-18-2024, 04:05 PM

Smart 451
More resources and videos..

I feel like i'm
as I have about the same amount of experience but I might struggle infinitely harder trying to pull cables through a convertible...maybe it would be wise to just use a crappy wireless video transmitter, instead of hardwiring to HU..

Haven't found a single video or instructions on how to pull cables through the cabriolet, specifically, only stuff on general wiring and trunks.. so watched a bunch of other videos just to try to catch a glimpse of what cabling/ports were exposed due to each step...

From my research it seems, i'll need to do the following (in this order, too..)

- take dashboard side trim (to get to HU under the steering wheel column)
- remove door trim
- take off seatbelt
- take off seatbelt presenter -
- take off top rear side panel (the one that is removed to change the seatbelt actuator module...) -
- take off rear seat bottom (both sides - to get to back of rear seats) -
- take off rear seat back
- take off bottom rear side panel -- this one looked THE WORST

HOPEFULLY, from there I can follow the large bunch of cables to the back, under all the convertible top components straight into the trunk -- wonder if will be able to run along the bottom of where the top side panel is...
- wire into the trunk fuse box/ sam module
- wire up along the trunk hinge
- then follow all the standard instructions on trunk interior panels (easiest part...)

All the videos of people taking off the rear side panels look like a gigantic mess, would love if this could be avoided...

Old 01-18-2024, 04:09 PM

Smart 451
Originally Posted by Carlinklife
Only need to plug in the cigarette lighter to use wireless CarPlay or Android auto, and you can use the original car audio. We can sponsor one for free. If anyone wants to try it, please contact us.
https://carlinklife.com/products/7-5...-screen-player
NGL, the more i read into this, the more tempting this is.. is your device only dash mounted? And only wired CarPlay? As a chinese guy, i don't want my data going to China ;] No offense mean tho!
Old 01-24-2024, 10:01 PM

Smart 451
I ordered the Sony AX6000 and Metra dash kit but am looking for something the might be better fitting. There's a slight gap when test fitting the components - see below - but a comment on Crutchfield mentioned that it was gone upon install.. we shall see.

Wish i had access to a 3D printer to fix this gap..

Thread about dash kit / facia

Last edited by SF2LA; 01-24-2024 at 10:04 PM.
Old 01-28-2024, 05:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 420 Likes on 346 Posts
MB’s
Originally Posted by SF2LA
@C280 Sport which HU did you go with? Was it a chinese/android one? could that be the source of the issues (and not necessarily, the wiring and the adaptors, etc)?

For wiring, I got a bunch of answers on this "Seicane Head Unit for 2009 W209 Harmon Kardon" thread from @spsc01
https://www.carnaviplayer.com/merced...upgrade-p-1187

I use to have this unit my 2009 CLK. It was not good. Worked great for about 5 months. I took it out and went back to OEM
Old 01-29-2024, 12:51 AM

Smart 451
I got the dash all ripped apart but cant figure out wiring for the HU =/

I'm still looking for can lo, can hi, reverse, speed ...

My wiring bundle doesn't look like the Comand 2.0 pin out diagrams that I've seen online. Aside from the 3 fakra cables (black - antenna; yellow - phone; blue - GPS), I only have one bundle (black connector), which has 7 wires coming out of it - see photo. Then I have another 5 cables coming out of a white plug.

I had initially thought the 7 or 8 were as follows (if it was the Connector A based on aforementioned diagrams):
1 - tannish orange : non-can speed signal
2 - blue/black : diagnostic connector under hood
3 - brown/red : telephone mute
4 - blue/red/orange : +12 bat
5 - yellow : 12v+ ant antenna out
6 - missing : illumination <----- i don't have a cable here is this N/A?
7 - brown : 12v
8 - black : ground

but someone on fb said, "typical Mercedes cable colours are "black/blue = D2B or MOST wake up", "brown/red = CANbus high", "brown = CANBus low" (if the cable is twisted with a "brown/red" one); a thicker brown cable is normally "GND" (ground). "Red/Blue = 12V"." Can anyone confirm this? And does anyone know what's coming out of the white connector?

Old 02-01-2024, 11:10 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2009 CLK 550 W209
Maybe you should consider 1 of the Seicane units that utilize al the old button space, no face gaps, give you a full 8" screen and leave plenty of room for wiring behind. Either
https://www.seicane.com/for-2006-201...-support-h2697
or
https://www.seicane.com/android-for-...lay-obd2-h6776
Looks like the 1st one has an upgraded touch screen. Here's a link to photos of my Seicane, same face but an older version. I've left the top button panel loose to make easier access because I'm still trying to get CANBUS to work.
https://photos.app.*******/zDqNZydqg8Dbug4t9
As to your Q's, I don't believe there is a speed or reverse wire in the HU wire bundles. For Reverse, I tied into the Shifter R light. I thought I found the 2 CANBUS wires, a twisted pair, 1 brown and 1 brown with strip as shown in Marco's video but it doesn't work for me.