CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Seicane Head Unit for 2009 W209 Harmon Kardon

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-09-2022, 07:17 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2009 CLK 550 W209
Seicane Head Unit for 2009 W209 Harmon Kardon

Has anyone installed this Seicane unit for 2009 CLK550 with Harmon Kardon system? https://www.seicane.com/mercedes-ben...d-camera-a5776
How was your experience?
Did they give you the right harnesses?
Did you run new wires to the trunk? How did you route them?
Install an amp or drive the speakers off the head unit?
Did you use an optical converter instead of new speaker wiring? How did it sound?
Did your steering wheel controls work or did you need a converter. How'd it work?
Did you figure out how to set the time on your dash clock?
Did you install a camera? wired or wireless? How'd they work?
Thanks in advance.

Old 01-17-2022, 06:24 PM

2009 CLK 550 W209
\

Last edited by spsc01; 09-05-2022 at 07:32 PM.
Old 09-05-2022, 03:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK550; Prior CLK500
Seicane Head Unit Review

I see this on Seicanes own site. Even though it's Android 10, the detail of this user is pretty applicable.

https://www.seicane.com/review/andro...usb-sd-s018812

😎
Old 09-05-2022, 09:03 PM

2009 CLK 550 W209
Seicane Head Unit for 2009 W209 Model:A5776N-L

Thanks Mr. Chandlyn. I saw that review. I bought Model:A5776N-L which is quite different from what Frank bought and a lot of his issues were resolved. The unit always has power so it stays in standby & comes on immediately rather than booting up. It connects to WiFi to update bios and add apps. And it's totally flat screen, no physical buttons. Came with some generic instructions and wiring diagram but I mostly used the 3 videos posted by Marco Cerqueira. Very, very helpful. This model fit perfectly and it's only about 2" deep so plenty of room for plugs, CanBus Adapter, Fiber Decoder and wiring behind it. I added an FM antenna amp to improve reception on some local, low power stations. I also added a fiber decoder to drive the Harmon Kardon amp. Worked really well and sounds the same as before. But the decoder they sent did not have the red wire (only had 2 wires) to tie into 12V Acc power and would not work. It needs a 12V signal that the ignition is on. They gave me credit and I bought one on ebay. I removed the glove box CD changer and installed a fiber loop plug to continue fiber connectivity. Seicane sent an antenna for GPS but I tied in the existing antenna cable. The Seicane support is responsive, you just have to wait for China to wake up but I always got a response, some helpful and some not. Best to use simple and plain words and be direct as to your issues and needs. I installed a back-up camera that includes a wireless radio transmitter and receiver. I tied the camera power wire into the back-up light power wire in the right rear. And to the R shifter light in the front to signal the head unit to go to back-up camera mode. Installed the camera by drilling a hole in the horizontal ledge to the right of the license plate light. and fed the wires similar to how Marco did his. The only issue remaining is I can't get CanBus to work for using the steering well buttons. When I figure that out I'll add a post. It's taking me a while to figure out all the apps. Android Auto works both by connecting USB and after you've done that, it will work wirelessly via Bluetooth. Bluetooth also works but not quite seamless when more than one phone has been connected. I like the unit and will add more comments as I get more familiar with it.
The following 2 users liked this post by spsc01:
MrChanlyn (09-12-2022), SF2LA (01-15-2024)
Old 09-12-2022, 04:29 AM

CLK550; Prior CLK500
Seicane Head Unit

Thx so very much for the update.. it is very informative.

I'm looking at this head unit as well...

Check out Car DVD Player GPS Radio Stereo HeadUnit for Mercedes Benz C/CLK-Class W203 W209 on eBay!
https://www.ebay.com/itm/39286745129...is&media=EMAIL

If you have the opportunity, maybe you could view this unit, and see in your opinion, how it compares to the Seicane Head Unit.

You - "Also added a fiber decoder to drive the Harmon Kardon amp. Worked really well and sounds the same as before. But the decoder they sent did not have the red wire (only had 2 wires) to tie into 12V Acc power and would not work. It needs a 12V signal that the ignition is on."

So where did you get the proper decoder from to save me some time? Also, I like my custom CDs, so I'll be keeping the changer, any information on what additional parts may be needed?

Unfortunately I am not mechanically inclined, and will have to pay to get it installed. I wish you were in the ATL area, I'd get you to show me how to do the install, to save some dough.

So happy you find the Seicane Head Unit acceptable and glad you got yours in, it helps narrow the field of choices.

Thx, again!

Last edited by MrChanlyn; 09-12-2022 at 04:35 AM.
Old 09-12-2022, 02:04 PM

2009 CLK 550 W209
I may have viewed that unit way back. But I was looking for one that had no mechanical buttons on the front which means a bigger touch screen. Also didn't need DVD capabilities and prefer a shorter body behind the dash to help with wire mgt. When I was looking, I went to a local auto sound shop for opinion. They were having trouble getting in stock and suggested if I brought them a unit they would install. They did that all the time and didn't make much off the head units. They were high end and wanted to in the least do away with the HK amp, install new amp and replace the MOST optical system with wires run from the dash to the rear. Sorry but I forgot the cost. I ended up doing it myself using Marco's videos as a go by and keeping the MOST and HK amp. There are also videos by another member that Marco used to figure out the wiring.
The following users liked this post:
SF2LA (01-15-2024)
Old 01-15-2024, 12:45 PM

Smart 451
Originally Posted by spsc01
Thanks Mr. Chandlyn. I saw that review. I bought Model:A5776N-L which is quite different from what Frank bought and a lot of his issues were resolved. The unit always has power so it stays in standby & comes on immediately rather than booting up. It connects to WiFi to update bios and add apps. And it's totally flat screen, no physical buttons. Came with some generic instructions and wiring diagram but I mostly used the 3 videos posted by Marco Cerqueira. Very, very helpful. This model fit perfectly and it's only about 2" deep so plenty of room for plugs, CanBus Adapter, Fiber Decoder and wiring behind it. I added an FM antenna amp to improve reception on some local, low power stations. I also added a fiber decoder to drive the Harmon Kardon amp. Worked really well and sounds the same as before. But the decoder they sent did not have the red wire (only had 2 wires) to tie into 12V Acc power and would not work. It needs a 12V signal that the ignition is on. They gave me credit and I bought one on ebay. I removed the glove box CD changer and installed a fiber loop plug to continue fiber connectivity. Seicane sent an antenna for GPS but I tied in the existing antenna cable. The Seicane support is responsive, you just have to wait for China to wake up but I always got a response, some helpful and some not. Best to use simple and plain words and be direct as to your issues and needs. I installed a back-up camera that includes a wireless radio transmitter and receiver. I tied the camera power wire into the back-up light power wire in the right rear. And to the R shifter light in the front to signal the head unit to go to back-up camera mode. Installed the camera by drilling a hole in the horizontal ledge to the right of the license plate light. and fed the wires similar to how Marco did his. The only issue remaining is I can't get CanBus to work for using the steering well buttons. When I figure that out I'll add a post. It's taking me a while to figure out all the apps. Android Auto works both by connecting USB and after you've done that, it will work wirelessly via Bluetooth. Bluetooth also works but not quite seamless when more than one phone has been connected. I like the unit and will add more comments as I get more familiar with it.
where did you find the fiber optic loop? I’ve seen a bunch for like $3 on ali. Think any one of em would work? Would love to save space in the glovebox! Also Ty for your response was very detailed n useful
Old 01-15-2024, 02:52 PM

2009 CLK 550 W209
Originally Posted by SF2LA
where did you find the fiber optic loop? I’ve seen a bunch for like $3 on ali. Think any one of em would work? Would love to save space in the glovebox! Also Ty for your response was very detailed n useful
I got it on ebay. The Ali loops should work OK. https://www.ebay.com/itm/203226976776
SF2LA (01-15-2024)
Old 01-15-2024, 08:50 PM

Smart 451
Thanks for the reply, realize your was for an android unit; I presume that something like that would work with a Sony unit too? I had a bunch of questions that you basically answered in this thread but lmk if you happen to know about any of these questions, i posted in a new thread..

Do you happen to know how the OEM CD changer was powered? i'm wondering, if i put in the optical loop, I can use what previously powered the CD changer unit for something else (depending if it's always on, or like, how it's powered) --> thinking like rear camera or the optical decoder box thing to keep HK amp/sub and rear speakers (unsure if that's powered..)
Old 01-15-2024, 09:02 PM

Smart 451
Few more follow up questions/wanted to confirm:

1) did you ever figure out steering wheel controls/buttons?
2) i saw you tied "camera power wire into the back-up light power wire in the right rear. And to the R shifter light in the front to signal"; is this b/c of the wireless module needing power (at the back) and a trigger for the HU (in the front). if you went w/ wires, could you power camera all from the front (reverse shifter light), or perhaps that would draw too much power from something meant to power a light (so best only to signal to HU)? for the rear, seems like you used the reverse light (on the right hand side of car), was the video on youtube correct in terms of Pin/Wire #? If i remember correctly, it was #3 from the top? I can rewatch but if the video is correct, would save me a lot of time of not pulling out that entire light assembly.. since, by going wired, need to get to the front, i might do the camera power from 12v ACC and the trigger signal from the reverse trigger light..
3) which optical fiber decoder did ya go with?

Thank you!!
Old 01-15-2024, 09:17 PM

2009 CLK 550 W209
The optical system is independent of the head unit. The added optical decoder is the interface between the new head unit and the optical audio system. If CD unit is removed (recommend this as it will not work with anything but the stock head unit) the optical Loop must be installed to maintain the circuit. If you add an analog amp and copper wire, you won't need to put in the loop as the whole optical system becomes irrelevant. Note that the Sirius receiver will also not work with the new unit. The CD changer is powered by a separate cord and plug which you should be able to use to power another device. I'm thinking it's ACC powered but not sure as I didn't use it for anything or check. But rear camera can be powered by same lead that powers the back-up lights. Optical decoder box can be powered by the ACC power cord to the cig.lighter as it's more convenient than the CD power cord. Also used this to power the ACC line on the Head Unit.
Old 01-15-2024, 09:48 PM

Smart 451
The optical system is independent of the head unit. The added optical decoder is the interface between the new head unit and the optical audio system. If CD unit is removed (recommend this as it will not work with anything but the stock head unit) the optical Loop must be installed to maintain the circuit. If you add an analog amp and copper wire, you won't need to put in the loop as the whole optical system becomes irrelevant. Note that the Sirius receiver will also not work with the new unit. The CD changer is powered by a separate cord and plug which you should be able to use to power another device. I'm thinking it's ACC powered but not sure as I didn't use it for anything or check. But rear camera can be powered by same lead that powers the back-up lights. Optical decoder box can be powered by the ACC power cord to the cig.lighter as it's more convenient than the CD power cord. Also used this to power the ACC line on the Head Unit.
Ah i see, "the optical Loop must be installed to maintain the circuit" means the Loop is still used to close the circuit between the HK amp and the new HU w/o CD changer (b/c HK amp, even with new HU, needs to close where there used to be a CD changer). got it!

Thx, RE: cd changer power details! Maybe I can use this for rear camera power (for always on camera function)?!

For back up lights, did you get any issues/errors with voltage, etc by splicing back-up lights?

Why is ACC power cord on lighter better than CD power? And is there a different (independent ACC power) that's NOT the cigarette lighter?

THANK YOU
Old 01-16-2024, 09:02 PM

2009 CLK 550 W209
Got no errors wrt voltage or anything else by tying into the backup lights. Voltage not affected by tying into 12V supply. Could affect amperage but honestly these devices don't draw much power.

Lighter is located very close to the HU with direct access whereas the CD is in glove compartment. Your choice.
Old 01-16-2024, 09:17 PM

Smart 451
Got no errors wrt voltage or anything else by tying into the backup lights. Voltage not affected by tying into 12V supply. Could affect amperage but honestly these devices don't draw much power.

Lighter is located very close to the HU with direct access whereas the CD is in glove compartment. Your choice.
ty, ty -- one other thing i dug up today that i haven't really heard done or considered more broadly is, is there any reason not to plug into the rear trunk fuse box? specifically, fuse #5, 7, 11, or 12 (looking for ACC power..) based on this fuse diagram.

5 - spare relay 2
7 - back up relay 1
11 - spare
12 - power outlet (x58/27)

i'm guessing 5 and 7 are always on (as relay C - next to 5 = reserve and relay D - next to 7 = reserve), where as 11 and 12 are next to relay F and fuse 12 is already power outlet?? just learning how fuses work and idk what a relay is..
__PRESENT__PRESENT__PRESENT__PRESENT__PRESENT__PRE SENT__PRESENT
Old 01-16-2024, 09:25 PM

Smart 451
@spsc01 hey sorry to keep going; i think based on other threads, and me asking, people said they were able to set the dash clock independently via the instrument cluster aka steering wheel buttons?

which HU did you go with? i was leaning towards Sony AX6000 but i just saw that the AX6050 recently came out; it doesnt look available in US though so not sure if it's Europe only or something..

based on this thread, it looks like can just do ACC or any 12v power to camera, and the HU reverse trigger line to the shifter reverse? idk i'm still digging..

__PRESENT
Old 01-16-2024, 09:26 PM

2009 CLK 550 W209
You can run new wires directly to the applicable fuse. Can't confirm which fuse does what. But why not tie into the wires that are in the space you're working with. The cig lighter wire runs from the ACC fuse and the always on HU wire runs from the always on fuse.
Old 01-16-2024, 09:33 PM

Smart 451
You can run new wires directly to the applicable fuse. Can't confirm which fuse does what. But why not tie into the wires that are in the space you're working with. The cig lighter wire runs from the ACC fuse and the always on HU wire runs from the always on fuse.
tbh no reason, esp as all the camera lines look like they're together -- just in all the videos i saw posted -- it looked like a huge cluster f upfront by the HU with cables/parts/tools everywhere so wanted to do one piece at a time bc might be less confusing for me..basically due to inexperience and unfamiliarity. i have no space to work/no tools so tryna do it step by step and trouble shoot along the way. glad you were able to get it done though, gives me confidence, feels like most people gave up or went with a chinese android unit
Old 01-16-2024, 09:44 PM

2009 CLK 550 W209
I can't remember which car you're working on. Some clocks are adjusted via the steering wheel buttons while others are adjusted by the HU. My 2009 209 clk's clock is adjusted by the HU so the only way for me to reset the clock is to disconnect the battery and reconnect exactly at noon. Or reinstall the stock HU. I have the Seicane A5776N-L. As to B/up camera, I used a radio transmitter/receiver model. The HU trigger I used is the shifter R light. I powered the front receiver with the ACC Cig wire and the trunk camera with the reverse tail light wire. That way neither the transmitter nor receiver are always drawing power, but yes you can have them on 24/7 but don't see the reasoning for that.
Old 01-16-2024, 09:47 PM

2009 CLK 550 W209
Happy with my Chinese Seicane HU. Looks factory. Except I've still not gotten the CANBUS steering wheel volume button to work. Might not be tying into the right wires but I did the same as Marco and his works.
SF2LA (01-16-2024)
Old 01-16-2024, 09:54 PM

Smart 451
hoping this will be my last dumb question, thanks again for taking the time; what CANBUS adopter are you referring to here: "...plenty of room for plugs, CanBus Adapter, Fiber Decoder..."? like what's this sit between? i saw a bunch of diagrams on another thread but they didnt make it more clear / wasn't sure if applicable...

for Steering controls, i was probably going to go with Axxess but not sure if compatible.. can manually program w/ different HUs
Old 01-16-2024, 10:09 PM

2009 CLK 550 W209
I used the adapter that came with the Seicane unit. I also tried an Axxess adapter It looked identical. They plug into the HU and wire leadss tie into +/- Canbus wires. Couldn't get either to work. Still trying to figure out why. You do have to select the right auto in the HU Canbus unit option selector. I tried all of them.
Old 02-05-2024, 07:07 AM
SPONSOR

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car Radio Special For CLK: https://www.carputech.com/products/c...-navigation-bt
Portable Options (No installation required, truly plug and play): https://www.carputech.com/collections/carplay-screens