CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

Project Chrome Dome.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-11-2007, 09:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
none
Originally Posted by mbenzman
This may be like the 55 heads question. The part numbers are different but then according to the EPC, they sub to the same parts. If this is the case why would they have had different numbers in the first place and they do put AMG on the part number stickers.
I wonder if they just sub the numbers for simplification and there actually was a difference. A 5.5 would still run stronger than a 4.3 with the same intake. But the original part number for the c43 intake is the same as the 5.5.
I guess one would have to take them apart and study.
Rich
Recieved my intake this week from a said "99 ML430". Started the work of cleaning and disasembling last night. All part # stickers showing "AMG" along with the part number. Not sure if you were saying that AMG uses the stickers or all M113 intakes use the same stickers. This one which is supposidly from an ML430 has the "AMG" branded part #'s. So I assume that possibly all M113 have this "AMG" part and is it even a true "AMG part"??? it obviously insn't if their is a bazillion ML's and M113's out there. I would have thought AMG would have worked this part for their motors......

......did you make a huge mess initially cleaning this thing? It's like trying to clean out an oil pan.
Old 02-12-2007, 10:48 AM

All of them!
Originally Posted by NitrogenBalance
Recieved my intake this week from a said "99 ML430". Started the work of cleaning and disasembling last night. All part # stickers showing "AMG" along with the part number. Not sure if you were saying that AMG uses the stickers or all M113 intakes use the same stickers. This one which is supposidly from an ML430 has the "AMG" branded part #'s. So I assume that possibly all M113 have this "AMG" part and is it even a true "AMG part"??? it obviously insn't if their is a bazillion ML's and M113's out there. I would have thought AMG would have worked this part for their motors......

......did you make a huge mess initially cleaning this thing? It's like trying to clean out an oil pan.
I'm at work and just looked at a 2003 clk430 w. the AMG sport pack. The intake has NO "AMG " beside the part #113 140 04 01, just a mercedes star.
I have a hard time believing they would just label the intakes "AMG" with no other differences. But maybe so. All I have taken apart are my two genuine 55 intakes.
If you study the pictures of the intake parts you will get an idea of how much material I had removed. I cleaned up the chips no fewer than a dozen times. I think the nasty part was the intial cleanup of sludgy crap, worse than any oil pan I've been into!!!
What's the part number on that one? Maybe it's actually from a C43 and had found it's way into an ML. You can't tell what a salvage cars has for history. Was the original engine damaged and replaced? An engine and chassis number check would tell if it's original to that vehicle.
I still haven't seen a "AMG" labeled intake on a non AMG engine.
Rich

Last edited by mbenzman; 02-12-2007 at 11:57 PM.
Old 02-13-2007, 09:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

none
Here is a picture of the AMG part # from when I recieved the intake. Maybe the guy didn't know what he was talking about as I did buy if off of ebay with the TB still stuck to it. Before buying I called the dealership about part #'s between 98C43 and 99ML430 and they said the #'s are the same......?

Old 02-13-2007, 11:15 PM

All of them!
Here is a picture of the AMG part # from when I received the intake. Maybe the guy didn't know what he was talking about as I did buy if off of ebay with the TB still stuck to it. Before buying I called the dealership about part #'s between 98C43 and 99ML430 and they said the #'s are the same......?
If I look in the Mercedes parts program (called epc), the parts sub to the same numbers. The actual numbers differ from the one shown on the sticker stuck on the driver side towards the rear. If I check that number it in the epc, it then subs to the standard intake. It's as if you can't buy a "AMG" intake through the parts dept..
I have checked every M113 intake to come in my shop and only the AMG's have "AMG" on the label (check my previous posted pics). I have had 4 430's alone so far this week.
Now as to whether or not there's a difference in the ones labeled "AMG", that remains to be discovered. Maybe we should post the question to see if Rob Allen or Noah will answer it on the AMG Lounge.
I have my CLK55 crankcase under 11 inches of vacuum from the intake now. It likes it a lot and no whistling or ugly side effects yet. Very promising and seems responsive.
Rich
Old 02-14-2007, 09:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

none
Interesting. So I guess I kinda made out on the deal especially if we find there is a difference in the intakes. I'm gonna post this over at the AMG lounge. Glad to hear your having luck with the CLK55. I've pretty much got my vacuum evac system 90% planned out and measured(waiting for some warm weather ). I found a perfect 3.5in serpentine idler pulley for an LS1 system that has a cog tooth pulley mounted to it's face. This will make mounting/driving the pump so much eaiser and optional as the crank mandrel setups.

....and yeah, I can now see how much material you really did remove. That's impressive. I hope mine turns out half as good.
Old 02-14-2007, 09:54 AM

All of them!
Interesting. So I guess I kinda made out on the deal especially if we find there is a difference in the intakes. I'm gonna post this over at the AMG lounge. Glad to hear your having luck with the CLK55. I've pretty much got my vacuum evac system 90% planned out and measured(waiting for some warm weather ). I found a perfect 3.5in serpentine idler pulley for an LS1 system that has a cog tooth pulley mounted to it's face. This will make mounting/driving the pump so much eaiser and optional as the crank mandrel setups.

....and yeah, I can now see how much material you really did remove. That's impressive. I hope mine turns out half as good.
Bear in mind that I cleaned the bench and the floor a lot. What you see on the bench is only a fraction, most went on the floor and was vacuumed up. My m119 intake lost 4 to 5 pounds of aluminum in it's modifications. I did not weigh this one but it lost a few pounds.
How are you planning to drive the pump? Custom crank pulley, custom adapter, piggyback it to another pulley?
Rich
Old 02-15-2007, 06:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

none
How are you planning to drive the pump? Custom crank pulley, custom adapter, piggyback it to another pulley?
Rich
I'm going to run the pump off of an idler pulley which I'm replacing. If you look at the picture I've attached it shows a similar configuration that I will use. The SC idler pulley which I'm using is in a very similar location as the picture only on mine the pump will sit diagonally from this one in the lower passenger side of the engine almost underneath the SC. There is room for all of this which I couldn't believe. It's gonna be tiigggghhht though. This was the best setup I could muster up considering simplicity, longevity, few parts, and linear onset of vacuum in relation to RPM/CC pressure. What do you think?

Old 02-19-2007, 11:57 PM

All of them!
I'm going to run the pump off of an idler pulley which I'm replacing. If you look at the picture I've attached it shows a similar configuration that I will use. The SC idler pulley which I'm using is in a very similar location as the picture only on mine the pump will sit diagonally from this one in the lower passenger side of the engine almost underneath the SC. There is room for all of this which I couldn't believe. It's gonna be tiigggghhht though. This was the best setup I could muster up considering simplicity, longevity, few parts, and linear onset of vacuum in relation to RPM/CC pressure. What do you think?
I like it, I'll probably go the same route. Bear in mind that you need to make sure to bleed a small leak of fresh air in to flush/carry vapors out. I will still probably vent the pump back to the intake inlet.
I really haven't seem hardly any oil in my current manifold vacuum setup. It doesn't seem to get any visible black smoke in the mirrors at night deal anymore at all. Trying to figure out that trick, but I like it.
Time for some 500E power!! Driving it today after giving it another intake job and watching my employee trying to get arrested with the burnouts/fishtailing up the road. It's Alive!!!!Should be good for a 13.5 now.
Rich
Old 02-25-2007, 08:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 CLK55 Cabriolet (DEAD: 1989 300E, 1984 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz Convertible)
I have to confess, this thread is Greek to me. Just polishing an intake manifold gets you an extra 25 HP? What about just buying a new one instead

(It does look pretty though. And you have a 500E! That rocks. Wish I had one - especially when my poor wheezing old 300E goes up inclined on-ramps, lol )
Old 02-25-2007, 09:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2003 AMG SL55, 2002 AMG CLK55, 2002 AMG ML55, 2005 ML350, 1995 S320 LWB - totaled
Originally Posted by Riot Nrrrd
I have to confess, this thread is Greek to me. Just polishing an intake manifold gets you an extra 25 HP? What about just buying a new one instead

(It does look pretty though. And you have a 500E! That rocks. Wish I had one - especially when my poor wheezing old 300E goes up inclined on-ramps, lol )
If you had been with us in Atlanta last November at the AMG gathering you would undestand. Rich has done amazing things by polishing and flowing the factory intake manifold. I can tell you from Rich giving me a ride in his CLK55 cab he worked wonders. Damn!

-O
Old 02-26-2007, 12:02 AM

All of them!
Originally Posted by rsr911
If you had been with us in Atlanta last November at the AMG gathering you would undestand. Rich has done amazing things by polishing and flowing the factory intake manifold. I can tell you from Rich giving me a ride in his CLK55 cab he worked wonders. Damn!

-O
O,
Thanks for the defense. You really should ride in the 500E. It's been taken up a few more notches since it was on the lie detector.
Rich
Old 02-26-2007, 11:43 AM

All of them!
Originally Posted by Riot Nrrrd

A new manifold would buy nothing except being back to stock which is pointless if you wanted more. It would reduce my current power at least 25 certified horsepower!!!

Looks like you should drive the CLK55 to cure your power ills. And before you say your saving the CLK by driving the E, I enjoy my ML55, 500E and CLK55 rain or shine. I don't like museums, enjoy your car as much as you can, life is too short!

Rich
Old 02-28-2007, 11:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 AMG SL55, 2002 AMG CLK55, 2002 AMG ML55, 2005 ML350, 1995 S320 LWB - totaled
O,
Thanks for the defense. You really should ride in the 500E. It's been taken up a few more notches since it was on the lie detector.
Rich
Rich,
My pleasure. Glad to be of assitance. I hope we will get the chance sometime this year during the next AMG gathering.
I like the new pictures of the family fleet.
-O
Old 02-28-2007, 10:49 PM

All of them!
Rich,
My pleasure. Glad to be of assitance. I hope we will get the chance sometime this year during the next AMG gathering.
I like the new pictures of the family fleet.
-O
Thanks, it's just some of the "fleet". LOL
Rich
Old 03-01-2007, 09:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
AMG
I hope we will get the chance sometime this year during the next AMG gathering.
-O
At the track?
Attached Images  
Old 03-01-2007, 10:07 AM

All of them!
Originally Posted by Chappy
At the track?
He only dynoed the last time. He wasn't at the track! Maybe next time
Rich
Old 03-01-2007, 10:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
He only dynoed the last time. He wasn't at the track! Maybe next time
Rich
I'm hoping he'll come to the track at the next meet (next month).

BTW, Rich your e-mail bounced from the AMGmeet address....I'll be by tonight. Time to kick your ISP's butt into shape.
Old 03-01-2007, 02:49 PM

All of them!
I'm hoping he'll come to the track at the next meet (next month).

BTW, Rich your e-mail bounced from the AMGmeet address....I'll be by tonight. Time to kick your ISP's butt into shape.
Not Bellsouth's fault. It's FDN communications and has been a very unpleasant buisness experience that I regret and have been talking about breaking a contract on due to bad performance/service and not doing what they were contracted to do.
Rich
Old 03-01-2007, 02:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
Would it help if I wrote a strongly-worded letter on your behalf?
Old 03-01-2007, 07:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Would it help if I wrote a strongly-worded letter on your behalf?
"I fart in your general direction you silly English kanigets. Go away or I shall taunt you a second time" spoken in a very heavy French accent by John Cleese.

Sorry could not resist!
-O
Old 03-01-2007, 08:42 PM

All of them!
"I fart in your general direction you silly English kanigets. Go away or I shall taunt you a second time" spoken in a very heavy French accent by John Cleese.

Sorry could not resist!
-O
I love the Holy grail! Maybe the best british humor. "We the knights of Neee, demand a shrubbery!" or it's merely a flesh wound" are some more favorite quotes from Monty Python.
Too bad it isn't that easy. Harsher words I have tossed that that. I take it seriously because it is affecting my buisness.
Rich
Chappy's car may have an unfair advantage over yours since you may still have to have the snow tires on when you come down for the track event. Just kidding.
Old 10-04-2007, 12:23 AM

All of them!
To be continued!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...85#post2440285

Part 2.1
Old 12-23-2007, 11:49 PM

AMG C43, 1999
I was reading this post last night and noticed that my project related to my manifold and The Chrome Dome work were started independantly but along the same path. I too have noticed a very noticeable increase in Hp over the stock set-up. Those Velocity stacks were much too large and requried a ton of work to resize and fit to the C43 manifold. But great Hp returns when complete.

Had to use epoxy because the manifold is Magnesium as noted by mbenzman

Speedybenz, 12-23-07

Here is the last mod to the engine prior to the crashing my 1999 C43 in January of 2006. The velocity stacks seem to really boost low and mid range power, with noticable gains at the top of the RPM range. These pics were taken before I blended all the rough spots and matched the epoxy to the manifold runners

Jeff

Old 12-31-2007, 07:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

sounds like airplane
so what came of this so far as doing them for others?
Old 01-01-2008, 09:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

none
Originally Posted by silence
so what came of this so far as doing them for others?
I looked into having one done and it is labor holding it back. The actual time it takes to take all the pieces out and hand work each one properly then reassemble took mbenzman 80hrs I recall he said. Unless you find someone with a 10-20$ hourly rate your kinda stuck. Send it overseas

I bought a used intake mani around this time last year to do the same. I've managed to get just over half of the unit done. Its been slow enough that the top peice was first to be polished and so much time has gone by that it has tarnished to smooth grey again.. when I finish the remaining runners I'm having the top cap thermochromed so it stays shinny and doesn't tarnish. Very tricky and surgical prodject for me. I've taken it very slow.

PM me if you want specific info as not to hyjack Rich's post.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Project Chrome Dome.