CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

Project Chrome Dome Part 2.1

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 10-04-2007, 12:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All of them!
Project Chrome Dome Part 2.1

I've been playing again. I decided to redo the works with some wild ideas that I have studied and set in motion.

This is how I've enjoyed it for the last year. In case anyone missed it, I've added the links. https://mbworld.org/forums/clk55-amg-clk63-amg-w208-w209/167426-project-chrome-dome.html

Then I've added a actual closed CLK 320 factory airbox with a K&N flat panel for testing purposes. The complete factory look without the dual snorkel AMG 55 box.

Well the Chrome Dome manifold is on the floor again. I am exploring my new idea for a hot air intake. I've been cutting and grinding and it's getting there!

Here's the sneak preview. Watch out brother, she's gonna blow

Rich

Last edited by mbenzman; 10-04-2007 at 12:50 AM.
Old 10-04-2007, 12:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
CLK Cabrio
OH MY GODDDDDD!
Old 10-04-2007, 09:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2003 AMG SL55, 2002 AMG CLK55, 2002 AMG ML55, 2005 ML350, 1995 S320 LWB - totaled
Rich.. You are my Hero!!!

Rich,
You are my hero!!!

Owen
Old 10-04-2007, 10:03 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
You put a AMG supercharger on a CLK55? Does it work? For the intake tubing just take the CLK55 intake runner and cut it in half. Do the same for the E55 intake runner. Then attach the two using a Samco or similar hose. Nice work! I heard the tuning is very difficult when putting an amg supercharger on a n/a amg motor. The s/c clutch may also pose a problem. Good luck

Last edited by blackbenzz; 10-04-2007 at 10:06 AM.
Old 10-04-2007, 10:10 AM

All of them!
Originally Posted by blackbenzz
You put a AMG supercharger on a CLK55? Does it work?
I've studied this over a year, real hard for the last year. It is not for the faint of heart. No it's not running yet as I have a few more custom pieces to fab, but the hurdles are being jumped, and it's coming together ,,, fast. But man it will be sweet. It will have some special tricks that you just don't get elsewhere. It will have a full size heat exchanger too. I will have to do some tuning to get it right though.
Old 10-04-2007, 04:24 PM

2002 CLK55 AMG, 2005 C240 4maitc
WOW sick idea. I'm really interested to see how it plays out. Make sure to keep us posted!!
Old 10-04-2007, 06:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C43/55,2k11 Volvo S60 T6AWD,2k Audi B5 S4,95 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD 500+awhp
Originally Posted by mbenzman
I've studied this over a year, real hard for the last year. It is not for the faint of heart. No it's not running yet as I have a few more custom pieces to fab, but the hurdles are being jumped, and it's coming together ,,, fast. But man it will be sweet. It will have some special tricks that you just don't get elsewhere. It will have a full size heat exchanger too. I will have to do some tuning to get it right though.
Rich I'm Speechless.
Old 10-07-2007, 11:10 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Friggin awesome!! What's the ballpark price of that SC? Would a full on 55K swap fit in there? I've heard about $20 - $25 from wrecked E55s?

Good to meet another envelope pusher!! Your wheel is on the way.
Old 10-07-2007, 10:41 PM

All of them!
Originally Posted by jangy
Friggin awesome!! What's the ballpark price of that SC? Would a full on 55K swap fit in there? I've heard about $20 - $25 from wrecked E55s?

Good to meet another envelope pusher!! Your wheel is on the way.
Depends on where you pick it up from and what other parts you manage to get from the donor. There is no drop in solution and right now I'm doing a custom thermostat housing. It's a lot tighter a fit to squeeze the double belt drive and all into the CLK. You won't drop a Kompressor engine straight in either, mounts/arms, oil pans, egr, thermostat, front covers, etc.. Just to rain on my self thought up idea, Chappy came in on Friday & mentioned this has been done before to a 208 CLK55 by a member here going by the name "Dan ****". Well I looked it up and here's a link and a couple pics from his.
Anyway it should still be cool when running, This week if I have my way.

Here's a link to him talking about it.
https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...pressor&page=2

Old 10-13-2007, 03:30 AM

All of them!
Well it's been a hard couple of weeks , lots of cutting, welding, splicing and reengineering to make every thing fit and work the way I wanted. It's ALIVE
I started it tonight and the first couple drives were horrible, but the tuning is going very well and after it went sideways from a roll, I believe I have created a real monster. Then my radiator hose blew and ended the fun I was just starting to enjoy. At least the wheel I purchased from jangy showed up earlier so I could drive the other Kompressor home. Thanks.

Old 10-13-2007, 03:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C43/55,2k11 Volvo S60 T6AWD,2k Audi B5 S4,95 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD 500+awhp
I envy you Bro!!!!
Old 10-13-2007, 10:20 AM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
You are the man! How much boost are you running or planning on running?
Old 10-15-2007, 05:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
01 CLK 430
Now that's nice!!!
Old 10-15-2007, 09:13 PM

All of them!
You are the man! How much boost are you running or planning on running?
Like you would, when in Rome, do as the Romans! As much as I can, and too much is just about right. I can switch it on and off too. Can you say "Go Baby Go"?
That AMG blower is in good company under that hood, iridium plugs, high flow seperate i/c circuit with a real pressure cap/reservoir, engine full of evans coolant and cool thermostat, and phenolic blower intake spacers to name a few items of interest. It's wagging it's tail all over the block.It's a blast! Using VP race gas for tuning insurance right now.
Originally Posted by ProjectC55
I envy you Bro!!!!
Don't envy me, just send me your toy to mod.

Originally Posted by Ghostrider
Now that's nice!!!
Thanks.
Old 10-15-2007, 10:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

none
No boost gauge set up? I'm curious how much boost your making. That is so impressive! Nice work
Old 10-16-2007, 04:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK 55
Tuning

How are you tuning the car?

Split Second MAF/Timing adjustment along with FMU? Chip?

One thing I found is that the ECU will set the MAP sensor error if you run boost for a while. You will see with a Check Engine light at some point.

Unless you are playing with the ECU you will need to handle this.

I used a 2.9V Zenor Diode to clamp the voltage. 2.9V allows for about any altitude, but keeps low enough so that the ECU does not think the sensor is bad.

I am now working on a DAQ unit to watch for detonation. I have the Mercedes profiles.
Old 10-16-2007, 08:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 C32 ///AMG
amazing!
Old 10-16-2007, 09:52 PM

All of them!
Originally Posted by gregc
How are you tuning the car?

Split Second MAF/Timing adjustment along with FMU? Chip?

One thing I found is that the ECU will set the MAP sensor error if you run boost for a while. You will see with a Check Engine light at some point.

Unless you are playing with the ECU you will need to handle this.

I used a 2.9V Zenor Diode to clamp the voltage. 2.9V allows for about any altitude, but keeps low enough so that the ECU does not think the sensor is bad.

I am now working on a DAQ unit to watch for detonation. I have the Mercedes profiles.
There are different ways to skin the cat. I am using the stock fuel pump, E55K injectors, the map is currently seeing boost. I am tweeking with sds and a few tricks. Amazingly, the fuel is on the fat side but within control and I'm sneaking up on full boost, currently pushing 8 psi. The torque is absolutely amazing, maybe the 2.82 gears make a big difference over the 2.65's in the E55K.

I haven't cruised down the road yet, just down the block. I'm not calling this done yet!
Greg, you have a completely different setup from mine. For instance the pcv hoses I hook up with factory parts for the Kompressor setup. My throttle body is still about in the same place, and the tank ventilation and brake booster line hook right up using the Kompressor parts (no the w211 doesn't have vacuum brakes but the hookup is there ) . Only custom parts on top are the air intake and egr setup.
I also have the factory intercooler functional and it's hopped up. I have some options on tuning if the need arises. I am not running a fmu as with the larger injectors I haven't had a lean problem, I've been removing fuel.
I haven't had any detonation, but I have a load of ultra high octane vp race gas to prevent it while I check the tune. I appreciate the input and love what you've done with yours and will take note of any advice. Thanks.
Old 10-16-2007, 09:55 PM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
So you are using 55k injectors without a problem? I was told its not possible on our CLK55's without extensive ECU tuning

So if the romans were to put a number on how much boost you are running, what woud that number be? Great work, i'm really impressed If I could I'd run 20PSI, but the limits havent been tested yet. I think I'm going to bump it up to about 8.5-9 PSI shortly.

Last edited by blackbenzz; 10-16-2007 at 10:01 PM.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:09 PM

All of them!
So you are using 55k injectors without a problem? I was told its not possible on our CLK55's without extensive ECU tuning

So if the romans were to put a number on how much boost you are running, what woud that number be? Great work, i'm really impressed If I could I'd run 20PSI, but the limits havent been tested yet. I think I'm going to bump it up to about 8.5-9 PSI shortly.
I have only seen 8 psi as I mentioned earlier.
I do reserve the right to change directions, and I haven't said I'm done or this is the way to go yet. If it doesn't work out the way I want, I can see if a custom tune can be dropped on the ecu, or drop the normal clk55 injectors back in, a fmu and do it the Kleemann way or the split second unit may be the way to go. I'm not there yet. I can also lower the boost on this by bleeding off the boost at the bypass.

Your boost limitation is going to be set by your belt. It will not take the strain. You will have to improve your belt drive, ask Ted Baldwin about belts. we are going to build him a new belt drive.

Last edited by mbenzman; 10-16-2007 at 10:12 PM.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK 55
fuel

I am surprised the fuel pressure is flat. Mine fell like a rock, but that is somewhat a result of increased fuel pressure. Look the forums as I did find several pumps if you need to update.

With larger injectors over stock, the closed loop control will adjust. It is open loop that may see strange things. Most of the tables run off the Load calc. With larger injectors, the load calc is off and high. May not be a problem, but will affect those switches from closed to open loop as you go up hills.

Watch out for tip-in detonation. I had all kinds of probelms with this on the roots blown mustang I played with for a while.

It will be great to see the car on the dyno.

My powerdyne is the limit today, as its out of air flow. These 5.5L like lots of air flow. I see max 7.5-8psi. A company just came out with a new turbine, which I plan to install. I would like to see 9-9.5 psi max.

With these 11:1 compression engines we are pushing it when above about 8psi. If you go above 8 you may want to sup with a meth injection to up the relative octane.

keep us all informed. I have though a lot about jumping is the same way you did with the screww setup. Would be a fun winter project.
Old 10-16-2007, 11:11 PM

All of them!
This is what I want.

This is a dyno from my E55 done on Sat afternoon. Notice it's run 6 and 7, where's the heat soak? Nice numbers for stock.
Old 10-18-2007, 07:25 PM

All of them!
Tweaking and progress.

Get scared, we are at 12 psi and yet to go full throttle. Esp off and 40 mph spinning tires with the quaife is fun.
Old 10-18-2007, 07:44 PM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
Originally Posted by mbenzman
Get scared, we are at 12 psi and yet to go full throttle. Esp off and 40 mph spinning tires with the quaife is fun.
Holy ****! Make me one!!!!
Old 10-18-2007, 09:34 PM

All of them!
Holy ****! Make me one!!!!
It's not all roses right now, I am going lean now, so it's not safe at all. If I had to I would have to reduce the boost, which I can do, but don't want to. The intercooler is holding the air temp. down, the cool thermostat and evans coolant are doing a great jobs holding back the detonation monsters, but going lean is not an option, at 12 psi I'm more than a little nervous. I probably will install water injection just for insurance.
For my current leaning out problem, I'm thinking one of three possible directions, piggyback controller, I like the Apexi Neo, a FMU, or a complete retune, which is my preferred route right now unless forced back to the other two. I will hold right now while I am exploring this option. Here's an interesting little bit. In all the ecu exploring I've been doing, I found some menu items. It appears than M.B. had their options open by 2002 as far as possible combinations. The 2002 CLK55 ecu has the supercharger and intercooler pump control references in it including the actuations feedback. See where and why I'm heading here. Time to make some calls and maybe I'll be doing a little rewiring if I can find a little ecu program adjustment for the complete Kompressor program in a 208 ecu. I would love to lose the maf like the kompressors.
In the meantime it is finally drivable (albeit with esp blinking ) if I don't try to floor it, which like the E55K, I never have to go WOT to get my ear to ear grin everytime.

Gregg, you might rethink your not allowing the map to see boost. Mine seems to like it a whole lot better than just giving it a vacuum reference. It wanted to ping without seeing the boost, but it was a still a little too lean at that point.
BTW the fuel pump in the CLK55 is the same used on the G55 Kompressor. It has no boost or even just vacuum referenced regulator or other monkey buisness. They must just compensate for boost with injection pulse width. That's why I have tried to stay with the factory recipe, at least til roadblocks force a change. There ARE modded G55's around pushing 650 HP without starvation issues. As a matter of fact, you would be shocked at how fast A 650 hp G will drain a very large tank of 93.
So what fuel pump did you use? Specs?

Last edited by mbenzman; 10-18-2007 at 09:38 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Project Chrome Dome Part 2.1