CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

Super unreliable CLK55. I am not happy.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 07:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 W208 CLK55 AMG
Super unreliable CLK55. I am not happy.

So many little things wrong with my once perfect car. Everything worked 6 months ago when I bought it. Now the AC Control buttons are broken (about 5 of them are stuck.) The cigarette lighter is broken, the cigerette lighter compartment door doesn't latch closed, the cupholder doesn't stay down by itself, you have to hold it down while you close the little cover door, and now the fing seat control for the drivers seat doesn't go forward.

Also about 1 month after I had it the ignition system failed to recognize my key, costing me a cool $750.00.

What a POS.
Old 12-04-2007, 11:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
Bummer....

...sorry to hear it. Looks like there was a reason why whomever owned it before sold it! Hope it works out better for you after these episodes.
Old 12-05-2007, 03:05 PM

clk55, 06 Cayman S, Vishnu EVO 8 stage 1 +, and X5
Yup. Mines have 56000 miles and original owner. Replaced the alternator, trunk switch module, and the speedometer (when accelerating from 60 to 80, the needle hops instead of a linear swing). That was around 30,000 miles. Now the auto climate control button on the right is not working and air vent seems motor seems like it's about to give up. And the speedometer is back to the same problem.
Old 12-05-2007, 06:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by v8rush
Yup. Mines have 56000 miles and original owner. Replaced the alternator, trunk switch module, and the speedometer (when accelerating from 60 to 80, the needle hops instead of a linear swing). That was around 30,000 miles. Now the auto climate control button on the right is not working and air vent seems motor seems like it's about to give up. And the speedometer is back to the same problem.
I got an (non-Benz) extended warranty on mine just before the factory went out....at first, I thought it would be a waste of money, but this past year I had about $2500 worth of repairs on it, so I'm pretty much even-steven on the thing. And this wasn't major stuff either, just seals, motor mounts, cd changer, etc.

I would not want to own a Benz out of warranty after this, so I'm mulling what to do this next year when it expires. Maybe I'll get an under-warranty CL55 and do the same, lol. No way I'd get a new one as fast as those things drop!!
Old 12-06-2007, 06:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts
2002 CLK430
The speedo problem could be caused by dirty wheel speed sensors.
Old 12-07-2007, 10:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
06 SV650S, 11 Santa Fe
This thread is the reason I haven't bought one. While the car has come down well into my budget I'm concerned about it falling apart. Thats a lot of repairs on a 5/6 year old car. My 10 year old Toyota with 208,000 miles on it has had less issues than what you just described.
Old 12-07-2007, 11:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by hellcat
This thread is the reason I haven't bought one. While the car has come down well into my budget I'm concerned about it falling apart. Thats a lot of repairs on a 5/6 year old car. My 10 year old Toyota with 208,000 miles on it has had less issues than what you just described.
Yes, the German stuff is still not in the same league as the Japanese stuff reilability-wise, which is ridiculous in light of the prices they charge, and their even more ridiculous repair rates. They keep promising to adjust this, but the proof is in the pudding. I will not be keeping mine beyond the end of the warranty period, that's for sure.
Old 12-07-2007, 05:06 PM

03 CLK 55 AMG, IMCO muffler/Magnaflow tips, KW V1 coilovers, 19" Petrol Metrix Wheels
not trying to be an a$$, but that is just part of the high performance car experience unfortunately. trust me the porsche and ferrari guys are spending more than we are.
Old 12-07-2007, 08:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by AMGOODNESS
not trying to be an a$$, but that is just part of the high performance car experience unfortunately. trust me the porsche and ferrari guys are spending more than we are.
Ferraris are the worst. But German cars *used* to be highly regarded for reliability, and these issues aren't confined solely to the high-performance models. Across the board, Mercedes has abysmal reliability, from the C class all the way up to the CL and S models. So do BMW and Audi.

It's sad, but it's a fact. But I'll still consider a Mercedes for my next vehicle--so long as it is under warranty!!
Old 12-07-2007, 10:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
02 CLK 55 AMG,09 C63 loaded with P30
They say the older Benz are reliable. Just like my 95 C36. Did a research on it before I bought it. Someones 95 C36 had 156k miles with no issues. Mine has 96xxx miles and runs like a champ.
Old 12-09-2007, 12:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 SV650S, 11 Santa Fe
How many of these kinds of things would an aftermarket warranty cover do you think?
Old 12-09-2007, 02:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by hellcat
How many of these kinds of things would an aftermarket warranty cover do you think?
On mine, so far, it's covered all of them. Which is one reason why when/if I buy another Benz, an extended warranty is a must-have.
Old 12-09-2007, 05:09 AM
RDD

03 M3 coupe 6MT, 05 A6 (wife + kid's)
Originally Posted by Brad D.
So many little things wrong with my once perfect car. Everything worked 6 months ago when I bought it. Now the AC Control buttons are broken (about 5 of them are stuck.) The cigarette lighter is broken, the cigerette lighter compartment door doesn't latch closed, the cupholder doesn't stay down by itself, you have to hold it down while you close the little cover door, and now the fing seat control for the drivers seat doesn't go forward.

Also about 1 month after I had it the ignition system failed to recognize my key, costing me a cool $750.00.

What a POS.
Yup, need a good extended warranty for sure. Mine has covered everything except wear and tear like brakes and tires.

I had the same issue w/ my climate control unit. Got a new upgraded one with my extended warranty and the unit alone is $700 but the new units don't have the problem with buttons sticking. Also had the seat motor replaced by the ext'd warranty and the motor mounts!

No problems with the cupholder or cigarette lighter cover but those are cheap fixes. If I ever had an ignition system problem that would be extended warranty covered too prob.

If you own anything german you better have a good extended warranty for it.
Old 12-10-2007, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by MarcusF
The speedo problem could be caused by dirty wheel speed sensors.
Do you know where that sensor is located? Thanks.
Old 12-10-2007, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by Improviz
On mine, so far, it's covered all of them. Which is one reason why when/if I buy another Benz, an extended warranty is a must-have.
Mines was lowered since 20,000 miles. They never voided my warranty because it's not related to suspension.
Old 12-17-2007, 04:26 AM

2001 CLK55
I hear you Brother.

I bought an 01' CLK55 in August after driving Range Rovers for the last 15 years. Thought I needed something lighter for long commutes in Florida. Anybody want to buy a 2001 CLK55 with 52,000 miles?

This has got to be the biggest POS car I have ever owned. I was fairly confident in my purchase after talking to the local dealer that had just finished servicing the car before purchase to the tune of $5,400...that was just a few months ago, now my car is back in the shop and the tab when I pick it up next week will be well over $3K and will include transmission seals, a control arm, motor mounts, and multiple repairs for ghosts in the control panel plus intermittent ABS/ESP errors, etc. The service rep even had the audacity to try and sell me on a set of plugs/wires for over $800! hahaha

I've owned 5 BMWs, 4 Rovers, 1 Lancia, 2 Porsches, 1 Ferrari, and 2 Triumphs....never seen anything like this. However, on the flip side this car is a bat out of hell. I just wish I had the $5K I spent on performance upgrades BACK so that I can afford to keep this crapmobile on the street.

BTW, this is my 3rd Mercedes, but I figured with leapfrogs in technology, not to mention the price of these things, that I would be buying a dependable and solid car. Whatever! I had my issues with Range Rovers and they are a renowned piece of crap, but my 2000 Rover with 155,000 miles on it is more dependable and drives better than this CLK. But, my new wife looks good behind the wheel and wont let me sell the damn thing. Thank God its paid for so I can afford the insurance premiums and maintenance tab.

Rant over!

Last edited by Ghenghis; 12-17-2007 at 05:39 AM.
Old 12-19-2007, 12:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts
2002 CLK430
Do you know where that sensor is located? Thanks.
The car has four wheel speed sensors. All four sensors are checked to see if they show approximately the same speed (cornering, wheel spin, and/or lockup could be responsible for a difference). If all four read the same, the left front speed sensor is used. If there is a difference in speeds from one side to the other, the mean value of the two front wheels are used. I’d check the front wheel speed sensors, which are on the steering knuckle.
Old 12-19-2007, 06:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C43/55,2k11 Volvo S60 T6AWD,2k Audi B5 S4,95 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD 500+awhp
Originally Posted by Jons95c36amg
They say the older Benz are reliable. Just like my 95 C36. Did a research on it before I bought it. Someones 95 C36 had 156k miles with no issues. Mine has 96xxx miles and runs like a champ.
I agree and I've never had a problem with my C43 other than the gas tank vent switch and the brake light switch which will cause the ABS/BAS light go off. I replcaed these items and have had no other problems even after all the extreme mods I've done to this car.

Only prob now is the intermittent problem with the seat control where one day it wrks and one day it does not.
Old 12-19-2007, 08:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
AMG
Perhaps each of us has a different definition of 'reliability'. I will tell you that if you expect zero defects, do not buy a Mercedes-Benz. This holds true for the modern cars as will as the older models that are often described as "bulletproof". I've owned an '85 300D and still have my 300CE, E320 Estate and my CLK55.

Guess what? My daily driver wagon is in the shop again today...5th or 6th time since July (my Indy thinks I live in his shop lol...). An exhaust leak developed since I took ownership of the car this summer plus the radio antenna quit and I'm having the 3rd brake light replaced (it still works, but the lens is warped from being 12 years old with 111K miles). But, it serves it's duty as the daily workhorse and since I only spent $7K to buy it, I can afford to keep it to a high useable standard. There is still a long laundry list of things that will get repaired or replaced as time marches on (power headrests, new struts for the rear hatch, upgraded speakers, etc.)

My definition is reliability is the car hasn't left me stranded.

One of the reasons I bought the W208 AMG is that is still has a conventional suspension and a NA V8 with a very robust transmission. My CLK is also not my daily driver, which may make a huge difference in terms of my perception and experience.

A well-maintained Mercedes-Benz will last for many years, but it requires regular maintenance. As the cars become more complicated (read computerized), these items will eventually fail and cost a bundle to have fixed.

Anyway, I hope your experience with your CLK55 improves. I've had little trouble with mine so far except the instrument cluster (2 yrs ago), rear hat tray rattling (4 yrs ago) and a couple other minor issues that have been handled under warranty.

Mike (hellcat) does make a good point about owning a car of this caliber outside of the warranty period. That's a risk/gamble that one has to weigh when considering an expensive vehicle.....any expensive vehicle.

FWIW, my wife's Lexus costs more to have serviced than any of my cars...and I'd be afraid to own her RX330 outside of the warranty period (she's good till 100K miles). How much do you think the Mark Levinson stereo would cost to have fixed? Or the rear DVD player, back up camera...or the power lift gate?
Old 12-20-2007, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by Improviz
Ferraris are the worst. But German cars *used* to be highly regarded for reliability, and these issues aren't confined solely to the high-performance models. Across the board, Mercedes has abysmal reliability, from the C class all the way up to the CL and S models. So do BMW and Audi.

It's sad, but it's a fact. But I'll still consider a Mercedes for my next vehicle--so long as it is under warranty!!
Just a comment from a previous Audi owner..

I just turned in an Audi S4 I was leasing. I got it to replace a C32, which replaced a CLK430.

I had all sorts of problems with MB's.. I had 0 problems with my Audi.

I'm still a huge fan of MBs and still considering a CLK63.

One of the main things holding me back from pulling the trigger is concern over the MB falling apart and costing me 1000's in repairs.

If I wanted that.. I'd get a Ferrari

PS.. Anyone have any 1st hand experience w/ the CLK63?
Old 12-20-2007, 09:39 PM

your mom
For the record, My (2001) S4 was in the shop ALL the time. My most reliable German car was a 1995 M3. That thing was a rock.

These threads are getting me a little antsy to be honest. I might dip out of the Benz community while I'm ahead, as my car is trouble-free but without warranty.
Old 12-21-2007, 06:53 PM

2006 Lexus GS300, 2007 Lexus GS350
Originally Posted by Jons95c36amg
Not true. Had a 95 c280 that was an utter nightmare. Utter nightmare.
Old 12-29-2007, 10:14 AM

2001 BMW 740i
Threads like these are very sobering for me. I have been thinking about purchasing a 03 CLK55. Coming from a 2001 740i, it has got me thinking. My current car is not reliable by any means and its warranty is up, so now I get stuck dealing with the (seemingly) endless problems. if i even decide to go through with this, a very good warranty is a must. and the car has to have very low miles. I hope that will help my cause, but I doubt it.
Old 12-29-2007, 08:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 CLK 55 AMG,09 C63 loaded with P30
Originally Posted by platinumsc
Not true. Had a 95 c280 that was an utter nightmare. Utter nightmare.
You probably got stuck with a trouble model and plus its not a AMG.
Old 12-29-2007, 09:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 S600
Mines was lowered since 20,000 miles. They never voided my warranty because it's not related to suspension.

Mines??

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Super unreliable CLK55. I am not happy.