CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

Supercharger: Kleemann vs Renntech vs AMG

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 02-03-2008, 02:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 Weistec 3.0L SC'd C55, 2006 MaxPsi PT6466 Turbo'd M3, 2019 Maserati GTS , 2020Alfa Quadrifoglio
Supercharger: Kleemann vs Renntech vs AMG

I just sold my HPS kit and am installing a Kleeman Twin-Screw this week but I have one question.

Which twin-screw Supercharger is the most efficient?

Kleemann - uses the Autorotor brand from Sweden.
Renntech - uses the Lysholm brand from Sweden also.
AMG - uses the IHI brand from Japan.

I have attached an article from Kenne Bell explaining the differences.

Do you agree with the article?

http://home.comcast.net/~wviands/sto...eBellinfo.html

It looks like from what I've read on the net that in terms of Power/Efficiency/Quality the rankings fall in this order.

1) Autorotor 2) Lysholm 3) IHI and 4) Eaton

Based on my reading, IHI SC's are basically copies of the Lysholm at a lower cost masss produced level that were installed in the AMG E,CL, S & SL models as described here:

http://www.europeancarweb.com/firstl...amg/index.html

Last edited by AMGSC; 02-03-2008 at 03:51 AM.
Old 02-03-2008, 02:32 AM

srt 6 chrysler crossfire
**** got owned but where is his rebuttal I want to read that, what forum is this from I assume a Cobra Lighting forum? Lightingrodder.com maybe? I want to read what this clown said back.
Old 02-03-2008, 03:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 Weistec 3.0L SC'd C55, 2006 MaxPsi PT6466 Turbo'd M3, 2019 Maserati GTS , 2020Alfa Quadrifoglio
War continues between Autorotor and Lysholm

I linked the heated argument between the Autorotor's Jim Bell of www.KenneBell.net) and Lysholm's Dustin Wipple of www.Whipplesuperchargers.com.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...5&pagenumber=2
Old 02-03-2008, 08:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sounds like airplane
why does it really matter?

with proper considerations/build and component choices the ultimate efficiency of the supercharger isn't all that important to how much power you can make. Just buy a larger one if you need to.

that said- ihi is on my crap list right now. had a vf22 fail two weeks ago.
Old 02-03-2008, 02:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by silence
why does it really matter?

with proper considerations/build and component choices the ultimate efficiency of the supercharger isn't all that important to how much power you can make. Just buy a larger one if you need to.

that said- ihi is on my crap list right now. had a vf22 fail two weeks ago.
According to the article...larger is not better. The Autorotor design with 4x6 lobes versus Lysholm's 3x5 and Eaton's 3x3 is one basic difference that makes sense in terms of efficiency and power.

The basic problem with my HPS Gen II kit (Roots style) is that first off, it was poorly designed (i.e. Intake Port, Plenum shape, Cheap Intercooler that also blocked air from entering 2 back cylinders, lousy air-box, cheap pump) and secondly the Roots style as everybody knows is extremely inefficient and builds enormous heat. The lobes/rotors also spin in a different direction and forces air around the OUTSIDE of the case instead of through the middle of the lobes, thus requiring a bigger case and blower to make the same cfm. This longer path circuitus rout also causes friction and also air leak back into the lobe chambers when the air trys to enter the combustion chamber. The gaps/tolerances on the roots lobes are also not as tight. A forum member named TechTune spent a great deal of money to fix the kit components and is making much better power than the standard HPS kit but I spent about the same as he did and just got a used Kleemann twin-screw since Kleemann now uses the Eaton Roots style on their new kits as well. Most likely for cost reduction reasons rather than performance I guess.

Last edited by AMGSC; 02-03-2008 at 02:21 PM.
Old 02-03-2008, 02:34 PM
Super Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GMC - Miata - Trek - P-Car
Are you still intending to have Vadim Fedorovsky and his team do your fabrication and installation?
He and VRP are highly respected by everyone on this forum.

Why not simply utilize their vast knowledge to properly engineer your proposed upgrade?
Old 02-03-2008, 03:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

sounds like airplane
you took my general claim and made it specific though- for your application the autorotor will obviously be the best choice. However, that is not to say that all types can't work as well as they need to under the right conditions. I reread the first post and it's clear that you were asking which one would work best for you-

if you ask me your best option is none of the above. if you are really serious about pushing the limits of any of those kits (which you would have to be in order to have it matter how efficient it really was between them) then you should most likely go turbo or centrifugal charger. You won't be able to use the low end grunt the ts could provide anyways unless you swap in a new solid axle and slicks, basically.
Old 02-03-2008, 05:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by silence
you took my general claim and made it specific though- for your application the autorotor will obviously be the best choice. However, that is not to say that all types can't work as well as they need to under the right conditions. I reread the first post and it's clear that you were asking which one would work best for you-

if you ask me your best option is none of the above. if you are really serious about pushing the limits of any of those kits (which you would have to be in order to have it matter how efficient it really was between them) then you should most likely go turbo or centrifugal charger. You won't be able to use the low end grunt the ts could provide anyways unless you swap in a new solid axle and slicks, basically.
I have the Quaife LSD so that should help but a little wheel spin will still be inevitible. Vadim @ VRP told me it is possible to add two small turbos on top of this Kleemann to give it more high-end boost. They have done a Quad-Turbo on a SL65 parked next to mine at the shop.
Old 02-03-2008, 10:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

sounds like airplane
and at that, i laugh

why?

does it make more power or run the 1/4 faster than an appropriate single or tt set-up?
Old 02-04-2008, 02:31 AM

'05 SL 55 Black/Black w/mods from Eurocharged/Kleemann/BuckheadImports
Question Wow! How much power is the quad-turbo SL65 making?

Wow! How much power is the quad-turbo SL65 making?
Old 02-04-2008, 02:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2001 E430
Originally Posted by SL65amg
Wow! How much power is the quad-turbo SL65 making?
There's a thread on the E55 page titled "1000 HP AMG's" or something similar to that. I don't think they have actually put it to a dyno yet. You may want to check it out.
Old 02-04-2008, 09:44 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
The 1000HP SL65 is not even close to being done. They have only made intercoolers.

Congrats on the Kleemann s/c. You will love it!
Old 02-11-2008, 11:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by blackbenzz
Congrats on the Kleemann s/c. You will love it!
Thanks! I guess you decided to keep your twin-screw. That's what I was searching for and finally got from BillyBenz.

Do you know if your twin-screw has 4 male x 6 female lobe Autorotor or a 3 male x 5 female Lysholm? Did you ever get a chance to look inside the case?

I will ask Vadim to check mine.
Old 02-12-2008, 11:09 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
Yup, I kept mine. Mine is the older styler. Not sure which but I'm pretty sure its the autorotor one.