CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

2002 CLK 55 AMG Convertible: steering wheel has the shakes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 12:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 S500
2002 CLK 55 AMG Convertible: steering wheel has the shakes

I just recently purchased this vehicle. I've always heard how fast they were and they're right. This car is a beast. I love merging onto the highway or darting pass someone in a quick burst. When I purchased the car, it had some damage to the lower right side of the front bumper. Before I had the bumper replaced or any work done to it, I could notice a vibration or shake in the steering wheel around 65 to 70 and then it would smooth out around 80. I figured I needed to get my tires balanced. I took it to my mechanic and he checked it out and suggested replacing the tie rods also. So, we replaced the center link drag assembly, put on new front tires, balanced them and got a wheel alignment. Now, the previous problem is worse. I get the vibration at all speeds. Before I spend anymore money or take it to the MB dealer, has anyone else had this problem. I need to get fixed, because eventually I will let go and move on to something else.
Old 04-14-2008, 12:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts
2002 CLK430
Your car has a steering damper. The purpose of the damper is to eliminate vibrations. If you damper hasn't been replaced, it's probably worn out. List price at a dealer is about $60, and it costs about $25 at Autohaus AZ. It takes all of 15 minutes to install and that includes looking for tools.
Old 04-14-2008, 01:13 PM

2000 S500
Thanks for the input. I'll order one and see what that does for me.

I also forgot to mention, the black box behind the right side of the bumper was also push back a little. We had to straighten out the brackets that hold it in place. What's the purpose of that weight? Could this be the source of my problem also?
Old 04-21-2008, 01:24 PM

2000 S500
I installed the steering damper this weekend, but I still get the feel the vibration in the steering and car. The old steering damper was definitely shot. What else could cause this problem? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-21-2008, 03:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
clk55
I'm not really sure what could cause the problem, but try checking your rotors they might be damaged and causing the shaking.

Is the vibration there when you brake or is it just constantly there.
Old 04-24-2008, 12:13 AM

2000 S500
No it's not constant. The vibration comes and goes. It usually happens above 50mph. it does not happen when I brake either.
Old 04-24-2008, 07:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
AMG
Originally Posted by jbizo
When I purchased the car, it had some damage to the lower right side of the front bumper. Before I had the bumper replaced or any work done to it, I could notice a vibration or shake in the steering wheel around 65 to 70 and then it would smooth out around 80.
Since the car has been in an accident, there could be multiple issues going on here. Did the carfax reveal any other accidents?

Is the frame bent? What else has been repaired/replaced on the front end? Are you experiencing uneven tire wear? Are the dampers in good shape? If you're running aftermarket wheels that don't balance well, that could be part of the problem. How many miles are on your car?

Lastly, check the LCA (lower control arm) bushings. The stock ones were shot on mine after only 30K miles and I replaced them with polyurethane LCA bushings - which work very well - I used to get a very slight shimmy between 60-70 mph, now that's gone.

Hope you find a satisfactory solution!
Old 04-24-2008, 05:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
03 CLK 55 AMG, IMCO muffler/Magnaflow tips, KW V1 coilovers, 19" Petrol Metrix Wheels
if the car has aftermarket wheels i would check to see if they are hubcentric. also does the car have front wheel spacers? if they are not hubcentric that could also cause some vibration. when was the car last aligned?
Old 04-25-2008, 09:28 AM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
2019 E450
Cool

Lets not forget the simplest items first. Check your tires for feathering around the edges. Possible aftermath of tie rod/ alignment issue. Also, shocks could do this too. I would definitely not start 'shot gunning' parts to eliminate.
Old 04-25-2008, 09:29 AM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
2019 E450
EDIT: Just saw chappy mentioned tire wear already...
Old 04-25-2008, 06:16 PM

95 Supra Turbo; 1988 M5; 2001 Clk55 AMG
Does your car have the factory suspension installed? I experienced the exact problem you described when I had H&R spring/factory shocks installed. Euro spec springs solved the problem.
Old 07-09-2008, 07:31 PM

Clk 200 Kompressor
Hi, new to the site but I just spotted your thread and a brother of mine had a similar problem, it'd be bad until about 80 when it would disappear, turned out for him it was a buckled alloy, it was barely noticeable on the balancing machine and the tires were wearing evenly and everything, somehow they spotted it. I think he got it balanced, took it off the machine and put it straight back on again and it was off slightly or something like that, he got it straightened anyways and it did the trick. Might be worth a try...
Old 07-10-2008, 12:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK 55 ///AMG Cabrio, ML63 ///AMG
Agreed.

I had the same problem, and was going to change things like the rotors, re-balancing of the front rims, lower ball joints, etc. Then, I had a chance to buy a new set of rims/tires and when I installed them, viola, the vibration was non-existent! It was so bad at 75-80m/hr that my CD player would start skipping. All due to front tires.

If you have a set of winter rims and tires mount those on the front and see what happens or see if someone who the same car can swap out the 2 front wheels with you to do a road test. My guess is your tires.

May also want to install the spare tire on the side that seems to be really bad like the front drivers side (was the case for me). Chances are the vibration goes away, if not, it's not that front tire.

Originally Posted by unlukky
EDIT: Just saw chappy mentioned tire wear already...
Old 07-10-2008, 03:17 PM

07' IS 350, 08' E550
Originally Posted by jbizo
I just recently purchased this vehicle. I've always heard how fast they were and they're right. This car is a beast. I love merging onto the highway or darting pass someone in a quick burst. When I purchased the car, it had some damage to the lower right side of the front bumper. Before I had the bumper replaced or any work done to it, I could notice a vibration or shake in the steering wheel around 65 to 70 and then it would smooth out around 80. I figured I needed to get my tires balanced. I took it to my mechanic and he checked it out and suggested replacing the tie rods also. So, we replaced the center link drag assembly, put on new front tires, balanced them and got a wheel alignment. Now, the previous problem is worse. I get the vibration at all speeds. Before I spend anymore money or take it to the MB dealer, has anyone else had this problem. I need to get fixed, because eventually I will let go and move on to something else.
It could be your rotors too! The rotors might need to be turned or simply replaced...that would be my guess. I've had this issue before with my Honda Accord and come to find out my rotors were toasted I replaced the rotors with new ones and the problem went away. The vibration would come VERY hard whenever I tried to stop...my steering wheel would shake like hell...just my .2 cents