CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

55 engine in 2001 CLK430?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 06:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
02 CLK 55 AMG,09 C63 loaded with P30
Originally Posted by ProjectC55
Your a clown and PLEASE answer this Question. Other than the value and perhaps the brakes(which one could upgrade) what would be the difference performance wise? (CLK430 w5.5L vs CLK55) You would not do it because you don't have the brains to do it. People mod cars and try things for the love of performance and modding. The same reason why many of the guys in the W211 E55 forum have done TONS of transformational mods to their cars ,which I'm sure compromises their values.
BMW enthusiasts do it as well with the 540i turned into a 540i with a E39 M5 motor. Or dropping the E39 5.0L motor into the body of an E36 or E46M3.

Alot of car owners who modify there cars could care less about the warranty or depriciating the value of their car. it's a hobby and it's for the love of being creative and sportsmanship.

Did'nt you modify that slow-*** automatic 350z you had? Who buys one of those cars in an automatic anyway?

Don't knock the hustle because you lack the brains or ability.
Your an idiot If I had the 350z with a swapped motor I would have never sold it for the price I wanted Just putting a exhaust or boltons doesnt mean ****! Swapping out the motor just kills the value of the car retard! Auto 350z are easier to sell then manual You just have an old C43 with a 55 motor and nobody cares The bottom line is your into swapping engines and it kills the value of the car.
Old 11-16-2008, 06:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by JYOO
I have been noticing a trend here, another post where Project C55 : starwars: and 95 just .

Whats up with you two, cant we just all get along? Big bully, j/k.
I could care less
Old 11-16-2008, 07:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
06 CLS55 Renntech stage 5, 04 CL600 ( will miss ),02e55 , 11 R350
Originally Posted by Jons95c36amg
I could care less
Well I guess that says it all!
Old 11-16-2008, 09:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by maxwerks
Well I guess that says it all!
Old 11-17-2008, 11:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C43/55,2k11 Volvo S60 T6AWD,2k Audi B5 S4,95 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD 500+awhp
OH Jonny come lately!

Originally Posted by Jons95c36amg
Your an idiot If I had the 350z with a swapped motor I would have never sold it for the price I wanted Just putting a exhaust or boltons doesnt mean ****! Swapping out the motor just kills the value of the car retard! Auto 350z are easier to sell then manual You just have an old C43 with a 55 motor and nobody cares The bottom line is your into swapping engines and it kills the value of the car.
First off your too much of a dope to know how to do serious upgrades to a car. 2nd of all ,now I see why Tommy ,Jared, and many others here on MBworld hate you. You r dumb and know nothing about cars. No one cares about car value when they are modding their car. However,I bet you I could get more money for my C43 with this motor vs what I could have gotten with the original 4.3L motor guaranteed. And to prove a point,take my 94 325i. I got 9200.00 dolars for it last yr in November all because it had an M3 motor. So what the hell are you talking about! If anything upgrading the motor in either car only make the value go up in some cases. Porsche 911 guys do this as well with the different displ flat 6 motors. I've seen it personnally.

Ahmad put a Kleemann Supercharger and other upgrades on his CLK55. Do you think that devalued his car and brings it down to the price level of your car?

In your dreams.

And bottom line is, my car spanked that ***!!

Last edited by ProjectC55; 11-17-2008 at 11:13 AM.
Old 11-17-2008, 12:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
AMG
Wow - sorry I missed all the drama....
Old 11-17-2008, 03:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

First off your too much of a dope to know how to do serious upgrades to a car. 2nd of all ,now I see why Tommy ,Jared, and many others here on MBworld hate you. You r dumb and know nothing about cars. No one cares about car value when they are modding their car. However,I bet you I could get more money for my C43 with this motor vs what I could have gotten with the original 4.3L motor guaranteed. And to prove a point,take my 94 325i. I got 9200.00 dolars for it last yr in November all because it had an M3 motor. So what the hell are you talking about! If anything upgrading the motor in either car only make the value go up in some cases. Porsche 911 guys do this as well with the different displ flat 6 motors. I've seen it personnally.

Ahmad put a Kleemann Supercharger and other upgrades on his CLK55. Do you think that devalued his car and brings it down to the price level of your car?

In your dreams.

First of all moron if I wanted my car to be modded I know where to go. You dont have to be a rocket scientist to figure that out Its not like you do the work. Like I said boltons like a blower is different then swapping out a motor. Its easier, smarter because you could always take it out. BTW you got me less then a car with your "monster modded C55"
Old 11-17-2008, 03:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

In your dreams.

I forgot the $ you put into swapping out the motor,ECU,etc and decide to sell it you already lost the $
Old 11-17-2008, 04:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
300E a couple 1994 w124wagon E320 Wagon/,1971MGB Track/Rally, MG Midget Autocross ,2000 E320 wagon.
Improviz

The reason it makes sense is because you can pick up a E320 w210 in mint shape with a blown engine or trans for less than 2 grand(it never had nor ever will have any collector value.Stick in a big engine and a modded trans and go have some fun.Do it right and you may actually sell it for what you have into it.
And all the time you have it you will enjoy it.
That is practicality
Old 11-17-2008, 04:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300E a couple 1994 w124wagon E320 Wagon/,1971MGB Track/Rally, MG Midget Autocross ,2000 E320 wagon.
Wow

someone bringing up Tommyas some kind of expert
add value?
Just look at the list
Guys add mega buck wheels and sit on the car trying to get the car market price plus what they think the wheels add to the deal.
same thing with SC added to the engine.$12-$15 And what is the first advice forum members give him when the car is sitting on the market for months?
"Sell the SC by itself ,return the car to stock.If you do both you may get more money out of the deal"
Same with the rims "put the old ones on,try to sell the mod rims separately"
Who would pay more money for a C43 b*stardized with a 55 engine?No one in their right mind.If you keep it forever it will give you the joy you wanted,if you ever decide to sell it,see what havoc you have wrought on its already **** poor resale value.
Yes you could bet that your C43 with the 55 engine would sell for more money than a bone stock C43.You would lose the bet,however
Old 11-17-2008, 09:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by ohlord
add value?
Just look at the list
Guys add mega buck wheels and sit on the car trying to get the car market price plus what they think the wheels add to the deal.
same thing with SC added to the engine.$12-$15 And what is the first advice forum members give him when the car is sitting on the market for months?
"Sell the SC by itself ,return the car to stock.If you do both you may get more money out of the deal"
Who would pay more money for a C43 b*stardized with a 55 engine?No one in their right mind.If you keep it forever it will give you the joy you wanted,if you ever decide to sell it,see what havoc you have wrought on its already **** poor resale value.
Yes you could bet that your C43 with the 55 engine would sell for more money than a bone stock C43.You would lose the bet,however
Oh thank the lord
Old 11-18-2008, 02:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

These

guys that think low production AMG's are collector cars,are beginning to give me the Ague.
Old 11-18-2008, 10:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS55 AMG
guys that think low production AMG's are collector cars,are beginning to give me the Ague.
Nobody thought Cobras, Dodge Daytonas and Plymouth Superbirds, Hemi 'Cudas, LS6 Chevelles, and the like were collectors' items 35 years ago either.
Old 11-18-2008, 12:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Is it not English which is spoken here???

add value?
Just look at the list

ANYONE who ever modified a car , except for few exceptions, will know that they will NEVER get the full value of their mods added to the market value of the car. AND you are wrong about kleemann SC, the main reason why people hear , take the SC off and then sell the car is because when you post a car like that for sale, most people will NOT know what Kleemann is , nor do they care, that simply means that the audience / buyers number has shrunk thats all...now the seller can either bring it back to stock just to sell it, or wait for the " RIGHT BUYER " who most of the time will know and appreciate the work being done and is willing to pay for it. No you wont get extra if your audience are shopping for a regular W202,03, 08 or 10.... these wont be your buyers...but thats NOT what we are talking about here. First this post was never about " Market Value" , cars will depreciate 9 times out of ten PERIOD. BUT modifying a car properly if first for the joy of it, second , will in fact be appreciated and paid or extra BY THE RIGHT PERSON if one was to sell it. A W202 C43 with a 5.5L AMG engine whos been babied and taken care of IS NOT a Basterdized car by any means. Do you know anything about a Famous AMG car called the hammer?? What model was it? It was a W124 Sedan, and what was stuffed in it? First , it was an MB M119 V8 engine , then that very same engine was stroked to 6.0L and became the Hammer engine, and the car was offered in either or....OK now go and try to find me one of these in excellent condition and tell me what the price is......You guys are talking about this as if someone has put a stroker Chevy engine in a Benz which is a far cry from what is being said here.

Last edited by maxwerks; 11-18-2008 at 12:39 PM. Reason: SP
Old 11-18-2008, 01:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
maxwerks, your analogy is off:

The difference between the Hammer and sticking a 5.5L in a 430 is that in the case of the Hammer, there WAS no example of that car with that motor available.

This is not the case with the CLK.

In the case of the Hammer, any prospective buyers *had* to buy that car to get that combination.

In this case, they do not *have* to buy this car to get a 5.5L AMG V8 in a 208 CLK body; they can simply buy a CLK55. Further, the CLK55 has lots of features/items that were exclusive to it, another reason many folks would pass imo.

So, the question becomes, when faced with that selection, why would anyone purchase the car with the motor added instead of an actual AMG? The only possible answer would be if it was someone who couldn't quite gather up the scratch needed to pay for a 55, wanted one, and would be willing to purchase this at a deep discount as a substitute, and wasn't worried about any possible installation issues.

Also, the Hammer wasn't done in someone's back yard, or by some small local shop, using a pre-owned engine in indeterminate condition...it was done by this outfit known as "AMG". So buyers there would have not only the exclusivity, they would have the security of knowing it was done by a reputable firm that specializes in this sort of thing.

With the transplant, many potential buyers would be a bit more skittish, I would think.

Another thing is that the 55 has not only a different engine, the driveshaft etc. are different to handle the significantly higher twist....so to do this right is gonna end up costing him more imo than just selling this and getting an AMG.

But hey, it is the OP's money, and he can do with it as he wishes...the rest of us are simply offering advice.
Old 11-18-2008, 01:15 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
If I cared about the resale value of my car... I would have never bought it, much less dump a ton of money into it. But if I were ever to sell it I'm pretty sure I'd get more than the going rate for a stock CLK55, just a hunch. If anyone wants to sell a Kleemann supercharged CLK55 at or below stock market value please point them in my direction. Thank you. Some poeple are delusional (you will never find these very same poeple selling a modified vehicle for less than a stock one)

Last edited by blackbenzz; 11-18-2008 at 01:17 PM.
Old 11-18-2008, 01:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by blackbenzz
If I cared about the resale value of my car... I would have never bought it, much less dump a ton of money into it. But if I were ever to sell it I'm pretty sure I'd get more than the going rate for a stock CLK55, just a hunch. If anyone wants to sell a Kleemann supercharged CLK55 at or below stock market value please point them in my direction. Thank you. Some poeple are delusional (you will never find these very same poeple selling a modified vehicle for less than a stock one)
The OP indicated he cared about money. Therefore, advising him of the possible ramifications of the mods he is thinking of undertaking are certainly wtihin the scope of this discussion.

And I don't appreciate being referred to as "delusional" for simply pointing out the facts. Do you really think he won't take a hit on resale from bolting a non-OEM motor into a CLK when there are CLKs widely available which have this motor OEM?

If so, why?
Old 11-18-2008, 01:46 PM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
Originally Posted by Improviz
The OP indicated he cared about money. Therefore, advising him of the possible ramifications of the mods he is thinking of undertaking are certainly wtihin the scope of this discussion.

And I don't appreciate being referred to as "delusional" for simply pointing out the facts. Do you really think he won't take a hit on resale from bolting a non-OEM motor into a CLK when there are CLKs widely available which have this motor OEM?

If so, why?
My statement should be taken on its own, just one of those random posts. Don't take it personal

Last time I checked a 55 motor was OEM, how is it non-OEM? I would pay more for a CLK430 with a CLK55 motor in it (proper install) than a stock CLK430. Would I put a 55 motor in a CLK430? No! Because you can go and buy a CLK55 for less
Old 11-18-2008, 02:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
My statement should be taken on its own, just one of those random posts. Don't take it personal
I take "delusional" as an insult...if it wasn't made in reference to me, fine, but if it was, it's a pretty cheap shot and not something I would expect from you.

Last time I checked a 55 motor was OEM, how is it non-OEM?
OEM means "on the vehicle", not "manufactured by the manufacturer"....if you stick a 351 Cleveland into a Pinto, you're using a Ford motor, but it's not OEM for the Pinto.

I would pay more for a CLK430 with a CLK55 motor in it (proper install) than a stock CLK430.
Well, you're a rarity...plus, how would you verify "proper installation" years after the fact? Anyway, even if you would pay more, would it be enough to cover the installation costs? Judging by your answer, I believe this is a negative....which is what I'm talking about: if he sells the car and gets a 55, he'll be paying the difference between the value of the CLK430 and the CLK55....he'll recoup this in a few years, less depreciation, currently running around 5% annually...now compare this to the haircut he'll take on the several $thousand to purchase and install this motor, which *might*, if he's lucky enough to find someone like you when he's ready to sell it, net him a grand or so tops (remember: four or five years from now, they'll both probably be in the $10K range if not less).

And that's my point: he said he's doing this to save money. He won't. He'll lose money, more than if he gets the 55.

Only way it would make any sense is if he's just planning to drive it until it dies...although I'd bet the 55 has higher salvage value as well.

Would I put a 55 motor in a CLK430? No! Because you can go and buy a CLK55 for less
Exactly.
Old 11-18-2008, 02:29 PM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
Like I said, don't take it personal. It was a general statement, not directed specifically at you.

OEM means "on the vehicle", not "manufactured by the manufacturer"....
OEM means Original Equpiment Manufacturer
Old 11-18-2008, 02:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
Like I said, don't take it personal. It was a general statement, not directed specifically at you.
Fine then, was iit directed generally at a group including me? Please dispense with the hair splitting and clarify.

OEM means Original Equpiment Manufacturer
Right. And a 5.5L V8 is not Original Equipment, from the Manufacturer, on a CLK430. The CLK430 was Originally Equipped, from the Manufacturer, with a 4.3L V8.
Old 11-18-2008, 02:44 PM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
Fine then, was iit directed generally at a group including me? Please dispense with the hair splitting and clarify.
If you think a car with a kleemann sc will sell for less than one without a sc then yes it includes you.

Right. And a 5.5L V8 is not Original Equipment, from the Manufacturer, on a CLK430. The CLK430 was Originally Equipped, from the Manufacturer, with a 4.3L V8.
Is the 55 engine not from the same manufacturer? Talk about splitting hairs! I dont feel like wasting my time debating this. I have nothing to gain
Old 11-18-2008, 02:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
If you think a car with a kleemann sc will sell for less than one without a sc then yes it includes you.
Don't recall ever writing that, but I do recall that performance mods hurt resale...namely because most people don't want to buy cars that they perceive as having been abused. Wait around long enough and maybe you'll find someone who'll pay more, though....just as there are people who, right now, are purchasing GM stock.

Is the 55 engine not from the same manufacturer? Talk about splitting hairs! I dont feel like wasting my time debating this. I have nothing to gain
Well, fine: let me just end the discussion by saying that people who think that OEM in the context of a particular make and model does not signify the parts/equipment with which that vehicle was Origanlly Equipped as it came from the Manufacturer are delusional, not to mention ignorant.

Nothing personal, mind you. Just one of those random posts.

Last edited by Improviz; 11-18-2008 at 03:35 PM.
Old 11-18-2008, 03:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

An

01 CLK55 is an $13 grand car ,do you really think that adding a $14,000 KSC installed is going to make it be a $27,000 CLK55?
We've all seen nice examples sit and sit while the owner asks why won't anyone pony up and buy my car.The refrain return it to stock.You are not going to get your money out of the SC anymore than the guy that bought 10grand worth of custom rims.The car will sell at or likely below market.SC,Rims and all.
Old 11-18-2008, 03:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

THis is bordering on the insane now ....
No one is insulting anyone, at least I dont think so. this thread started from a Cabriolet CLK 430, now the Cabriolet CLK55 in low miles and great condition is in fact harder to find, so getting a CLK 430 CAB " FOR A GOOD PRICE " then pushing the engine a bit by putting a BENZ 5.5 L Engine in it for not too much money , might not be your cup of tea , but it make perfect sense to some. No one is talking about buying a $13K CLK and adding a $14K KSC and wanting $27K for it....what difference does make it if you can get $27K, $37K or $7K for it if you dont plan to sell the damn thing and just enjoy it!!!!

IMO the CLK Coupe and Cab is one of the better looking cars Benz ever made, DYING TO BE MODIFIED !!!! frankly much better looking than the ANY W209 short of the Black series. Thats IMO that is, now maybe just maybe someone actually think the same and want to just enjoy their baby and give it a bit of upgrade.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 55 engine in 2001 CLK430?