CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

Selling the CLK55 need eBay advice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 03:27 PM

Location: East Falls, Philadelphia / Swedesboro, South Jersey
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK55 AMG
Selling the CLK55 need eBay advice

Guys,
Unfortunately I have to sell my CLK55 and I listed it on eBay. I have received several emails asking for my final price, saying they can arrange shipping, stating they don't want to sign up for eBay and want to do a deal on the side..etc. I never sold a car on eBay before or used the site all that much (my wife used to buy and sell a bunch of little stuff on there) so I am a relitive novice when it comes down to a big item. Any tips on what to look out for so that I don't get scammed? Has anyone sold or bought a car on eBay and if you did what's the best way to take payment other than cash? Any other tips from the CLK community?

Forgive the novice questions but I do need some advice with this. Thanks for the help in advance !

Bob
Old 01-15-2009, 03:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Corrolla
any pics of your car?
Old 01-15-2009, 03:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1991 560SEC Teal 1989 420SEL Ice Blue 1984 500SEC White
There is no better way than cash especially on a high priced item.
Take PAYPAL as a deposit feature only.
Verify validity of the currency at a bank prior to title exchange.
All money is to be paid before title is exchanged.
Old 01-15-2009, 08:03 PM

No longer car shopping...
They ARE trying to SCAM you. Selling on eBay is OK but there are a LOT of things you need to do to ensure you are protected. #1. Have them fly in and bring a cashiers check and/or have them WIRE you the money. NO OTHER WAY. Even Paypal has limits on it's protection. I both sold AND bought my CLK55 on eBay.. over 5 years ago (for the sale) and more than that for the purchase. In the case of the purchase, it was a local car so I bid on eBay, was the high bidder and paid in CASH so the seller had no issues.
Old 01-16-2009, 07:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
AMG
Originally Posted by ndabunka
They ARE trying to SCAM you. Selling on eBay is OK but there are a LOT of things you need to do to ensure you are protected. #1. Have them fly in and bring a cashiers check and/or have them WIRE you the money. NO OTHER WAY. Even Paypal has limits on it's protection. I both sold AND bought my CLK55 on eBay.. over 5 years ago (for the sale) and more than that for the purchase. In the case of the purchase, it was a local car so I bid on eBay, was the high bidder and paid in CASH so the seller had no issues.

+1
Old 01-16-2009, 08:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
88-300CE TWIN TURBO, 99-C43, 05-G55K, 71-280SL, 94-E320 CAB, 08 CLK63 BLACK SERIES
I wouldn't even accept a cashiers check as in todays world they can be faked.
Accept wire transfer or cash only to protect yourself.
Caution with those that want you to work with their shipping agent and send you funds they then ask you to turn over to their agent.

A few months back a young kid on the C43 thread almost got scammed with an "overseas" buyer....you might want to read the thread.

https://mbworld.org/forums/c36-amg-c...-c36-sale.html

Selling and buying cars on EBAY is no problem as long as you know who is on the other side of the deal !!!

Ed A.
Old 01-16-2009, 10:08 AM

1991 560SEC Teal 1989 420SEL Ice Blue 1984 500SEC White
I have both bought and sold cars via Ebay and the net.

I always have picked up the car in person.

When I have sold the buyer has the responsibility of collection. I assist in scheduling from my side. I take PAYPAL as a small deposit($500) since who wants to pay their fees, the rest is cash. If the buyer wants to bring a certified check, than we go to the bank and they do the transfer from check to cash.

You can't get hurt with cash.

In retrospect I have heard of a scam where the seller demands cash and when you go to look at the car(which doesn't exist) they rob you. SO BE CAREFUL and get as much info as you can before you go.
Old 01-16-2009, 12:51 PM

10 Cayenne GTS, 07 Porsche 911 Turbo
I buy and sell a lot on eBay. My experience is most inquiries asking you for your bottom line are setting you up. If they accept your price and then ask you to remove your listing that's another red flag. First, don't disclose your price. Second, if you need XX $$$ from the sale place include a "buy it now" option that is only slightly higher than your bottom line. Require your buyer to use PayPal and require them to immediately deposit $500-1,000 if they use PayPal. If they don't use PayPal require them to wire the money into your account within three days. Never accept a cashier's check. If your buyer is serious they will bid on the car and follow the rules. You're protected and so are they. You may also want to list on Vehix.com, AutoTrader and Cars.com. You'll have better control there because you're in charge. JMHO
Old 01-16-2009, 01:26 PM

Location: East Falls, Philadelphia / Swedesboro, South Jersey
CLK55 AMG
Thanks for all of the input guys, I appreciate it.
Old 01-16-2009, 03:42 PM

CLS 55 AMG - one of the last off the AMG line
Not to be too unhelpful - but you could also NOT sell it 2003 was a great CLK year vintage

I just moved countries and I hated having to sell one of my cars (Audi Q7) - in retrospect I should have imported it to where I moved to (South Africa - from the UK) - I would have probably lost less money on the car.

Unless its financial durress, think carefully about having to sell in the current market.
Old 01-18-2009, 07:13 PM

2005 CLK55 AMG CABRIOLET
sold a car on ebay a few months ago same way (buyer bought it direct). he saved a few $ in cost and i saved ebay fees.

1. get a SMALL paypal deposit ($500) to show good faith and minimize fees you pay.
2. get remainder in cash or as cashiers check. you can have them sign a release stating ownership only concludes when funds are received and actually deposited.

make sure buyer has decent ebay feedback FIRST.