CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

little oil leaking from my head gasket. any DIY?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 05:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
asdf
little oil leaking from my head gasket. any DIY?

i have a 2005 clk55, my mechanic told me that I have a little oil leaking and that I should replace it. He stated that it was a fairly easy job and that if I were a bit mechanically inclined, I should try it myself. He said it'd take about 3 hours. Any idea where I should purchase the part and if there are any manuals/DIY instructions on how to do it myself? I'm not afraid of a 3 hour job, he explained it and it didn't sound too difficult. any help is appreciated
Old 06-23-2010, 06:11 PM

asdf
did a quick search, am not sure if this is correct. can anyone confirm? seems as if it's the valve cover and not the head gasket?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
W209 ch cover.pdf (856.1 KB, 237 views)
Old 06-23-2010, 06:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 68 Likes on 44 Posts
C63 507 AMG DA Car #19
##

Sounds like valve cover gasket if it's only 3 hr labor.

HG would be much more $$ and time.

Get the manual and take your time..... looks easy enough.

Someone from here (PTE or others) can chime in if there are any special MB only tools needed to do this.
Old 06-23-2010, 06:17 PM

asdf
Originally Posted by betrezra
Sounds like valve cover gasket if it's only 3 hr labor.

HG would be much more $$ and time.

Get the manual and take your time..... looks easy enough.

Someone from here (PTE or others) can chime in if there are any special MB only tools needed to do this.
you're right, i just looked at my invoice and it stated the valve cover gasket needs to be replaced.

my mechanic also stated that I would take a lot of time cleaning, what specifically will I be cleaning, and how will I be doing it? should I be using solvents?
Old 06-24-2010, 12:40 AM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
clk55 amg
no special tool needed. just pop the wires from the coil and let the wires hang off the spark plugs. remove coils and bolts from the covers... you can leave the small torques screws in for now ( 2 on pass side and 3 on driver side). covers come off.

If there is oil leaking from the smaller covers on the top, u can now remove the small torques screws and pry the covers off ( lots of prying needed, they r stuck on there real good!!) U also need to buy the black benz slicone because there is no gasket under the small covers.

clean covers and head, new gasket and reinstall.
Old 06-24-2010, 12:43 AM

asdf
Originally Posted by 2PRECISE
no special tool needed. just pop the wires from the coil and let the wires hang off the spark plugs. remove coils and bolts from the covers... you can leave the small torques screws in for now ( 2 on pass side and 3 on driver side). covers come off.

If there is oil leaking from the smaller covers on the top, u can now remove the small torques screws and pry the covers off ( lots of prying needed, they r stuck on there real good!!) U also need to buy the black benz slicone because there is no gasket under the small covers.

clean covers and head, new gasket and reinstall.
thanks for the advice!

i followed you up to the point of prying the covers off. what should i use to pry them? what do you mean i need the black benz silicone? where do i buy it from? the dealer? do you have a part number? how do i apply it? also, how do i clean the covers and head? with a towel? with any type of solvent?

sorry for the questions, i want to do everything right the first time.

do i need to torque the screws back when i put the cover on?

btw, from the looks of the instructions, i'd have to remove the fuel line. any precautions with this? I wouldn't want fuel leaking everywhere.

Last edited by henry47; 06-24-2010 at 01:24 AM.
Old 06-24-2010, 01:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Corrolla
Im about to do mine too but with my warrantty thou. The guy said w/out warranty it will be $300 labor + parts.

Andy
Old 06-24-2010, 01:23 AM

asdf
Originally Posted by M-bENZ
Im about to do mine too but with my warrantty thou. The guy said w/out warranty it will be $300 labor + parts.

Andy
yeah it's not too much, but from what my mechanic told me it's a fairly easy job and i figure it'd be a good learning experience.
Old 06-24-2010, 11:40 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
clk55 amg
the covers r 2 piece.... once removed you need to carefully pry the small one off the top because they r siliconed on. i used a screwdriver and separated them. then u need to scrap the old silicone off then I used brake cleaner to make everything new. spary some brake cleaner on a rag then clean the heads.

Just ask for the black sealer at the dealership, they know what it is, its a small tube. You only use it on the small cover only!! u fill the groove on the cover and set it in place then u put the small screws back and let it dry. You then put the new gasket in place and bolt it back on. Just dont tighten them too tight.

Only the coils need to be removed. A tip.... get the cover ready for install then clean the head , bacause oil will slowly drip on the gasket surface.

Last edited by 2PRECISE; 06-24-2010 at 11:45 PM.
Old 06-25-2010, 03:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 507 AMG DA Car #19
##

Now that valve covers are off.... how hard is it to change cams?

Old 06-26-2010, 02:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2001 E430
Originally Posted by betrezra
Now that valve covers are off.... how hard is it to change cams?

Kleemann cam instructions

http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/p...all_LowRes.pdf
Old 06-26-2010, 07:52 AM
PTE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
05 ML-500 , 03 CLK5.5 AMG has left the Garage
Sealing Valve covers

It is about a 4 hour DIY job. The hardest part is cleaning the sealant out of the groove. I would not use a Drill motor or a bench grinder with a Wire wheel. Just scrape it clean & you may want to use some E/Z off oven cleaner. Please use the MB sealant P/N A 003 989 98 20 10. This stuff is very strong & Tuff. It has a short work time . You will know this because you have just spent an hour trying to remove this sealant. So Have all the parts clean & ready too assemble. I did a bench assy , Got some extra nuts & washers and put together the little .covers / baffle assys with the sealant . Let it dry for an hour. Then scotch bright pad the out side surface . Then spray painted them GSA gray. . I had tryed other brands of sealant , but the covers would start to leak again after a hard run. So Stick with the OEM sealer. Cheers _PTEngineering
Old 06-26-2010, 05:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 507 AMG DA Car #19
##

Wow great instructions on the valve covers and cams from K.

How much HP can be had from k cams? The do it yourself looks very easy..... compared to a small block ford which requires pulling the entire front of the engine off.