CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

Modding NA 55 Engine? What can I do?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 05:38 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Mercedes S55 AMG
Modding NA 55 Engine? What can I do?

I have an S55, but the E55/CLK55 seems to be more common to mod so I figure I'd post this here since the engines are the same.

I know that generally the supercharged 55 AMG's get more attention in this matter, and that the gains on NA 55 engines are not as great, but I'd like to explore some options if people can give me their opinions.

I am actually very happy with the "seat of the pants" feel of my S55, I think it pulls pretty strongly. I've driven various newer AMG's, (S55k, SL65, C63, etc) and while obviously they are faster, in lower speed driving I did not feel a night and day difference, just a mid-day to evening difference. (haha )

Anyway - I'd like to possibly mod it in the future for a bit stronger performance, regardless - as I think I can get a bit more out of it.

So I've done some research, and while I have not really seen many people mod this NA S55, some work has been done to the CLK55, E55 W210, etc - which is the same engine.

So what can I do, and how much power can I realistically gain from the stock 354hp, 391lbs of torque it currently has?

Here is what I think, let me know if my gain estimates are off:

Headers (Like Kleeman or Evosport) Can I get at least 20hp/tq from these?

Pulleys (Should give me around 11hp gain?) My engine can take upgraded pulleys correct?

ECU - Another 15-20hp gain?

So with those above mods, can I realistic gain close to 40/50hp? Or is that too optimistic and I'd be around 30hp total with all of those?

Any other mod that is reasonable and would get me gains? I don't want to supercharge, I know that's an option, but I just want a little more lively performance out of it and nothing mind boggling.

Thanks!
Old 02-11-2011, 06:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W208 CLK55
Hi

I think Hooleyboy had a great list on the C55 register (hope he doesn't mind me sharing) that I've had a look at to get started https://mbworld.org/forums/c32-amg-c...arts-list.html

Have a look there - quite bit will be the same or similar

Last edited by Johnpidge; 02-11-2011 at 06:07 PM.
Old 02-11-2011, 07:04 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Mercedes S55 AMG
Thanks! I know that the C55 engine, while still being NA and 5.4 liters, is a bit different than my S55 engine correct? I wonder how much more efficient or how much of a difference there actually is.
Old 02-12-2011, 01:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clk55 coupe 2005
in the last 3 years,i have remaped 4 N/A 55 engines:ML 00; E 210 00 and 2 clks 05 cpe.I bought the first 2 from a well known tuner in Germany,the others from USA,believe me guys,i have raced them on roads with same cars (stock) before & after the tune in a direct lane from 30 to 130 mph many times,no differance at all!!! i didn't get 1 yard forward after the tune,i'm very sure about what i'm saying,i have 20 years experience in testing & racing sports cars on the same road.the US tuner said to me that road testing is nothing !! and that he took 25 hp on Dyno !!
Old 02-12-2011, 05:30 AM

W208 CLK55
Originally Posted by rondocap
Thanks! I know that the C55 engine, while still being NA and 5.4 liters, is a bit different than my S55 engine correct? I wonder how much more efficient or how much of a difference there actually is.
Think its the same M113 basic 5.4 ltr (donnow what that is in cubic inches - 332ci?? you lot use the far side of the pond )

So many things should the same!
Old 02-12-2011, 06:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 68 Likes on 44 Posts
C63 507 AMG DA Car #19
My searching suggested you're prob better off just bolting on a kleemann or another blower for $$/HP.

However there are a few people who tenaciously chased after N/A HP with big wallets and had good gains...... but I believe not as much as just bolting on the Kleemann.

One caveat....... if you plan to go really big in the end.... then do it in stages..... get the heads p/p, cams (if you want the sound and high rpm hp), exhaust mods.... then later do the blower.

Unless you own a speed shop, it's really hard to justify slowly modding your car because of the cost of dynotime/tuning cost for these cars. So plan your mods carefully.

Stage 1 included: AMS headers, hiflo 2ndary cats, LSD, tune, and renntech air box... and made some modest gains..... but these would all support the blower so I was OK with it.

Last edited by betrezra; 02-12-2011 at 06:20 AM.
Old 02-12-2011, 07:09 AM

W208 CLK55
Originally Posted by betrezra
My searching suggested you're prob better off just bolting on a kleemann or another blower for $$/HP.

However there are a few people who tenaciously chased after N/A HP with big wallets and had good gains...... but I believe not as much as just bolting on the Kleemann.

One caveat....... if you plan to go really big in the end.... then do it in stages..... get the heads p/p, cams (if you want the sound and high rpm hp), exhaust mods.... then later do the blower.

Unless you own a speed shop, it's really hard to justify slowly modding your car because of the cost of dynotime/tuning cost for these cars. So plan your mods carefully.

Stage 1 included: AMS headers, hiflo 2ndary cats, LSD, tune, and renntech air box... and made some modest gains..... but these would all support the blower so I was OK with it.
I was kinda thinking this could be the simple way forward for you to get biggish hp and lbs - have seen Kleeman s/c on an american website for $9k (£6k ish for us from the UK of A!!) and then the gearbox software upgrade - See the blower threads on here!
Old 02-12-2011, 11:34 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
Originally Posted by rondocap
C55 is 11:1 compression ratio
Old 02-12-2011, 01:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C43/55,2k11 Volvo S60 T6AWD,2k Audi B5 S4,95 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD 500+awhp
Just get headers. You can probably use the same headers as a w209 CLK55 or even a W211 E55K but chk. Your engine bay has plenty of room.

Get a nice dual exhaust system done (3" each side),high flow cats,some high flow airfilters and I guarantee that you will feel a nice difference in your car. Especially topend guaranteeed.

There is also a nice ram air systen you can put at the end of the intake tubes by your front grill. I will look them up. FOUND https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...nice-pics.html

Get a tune if you want from Kleemann.

This is all you will need. Cams are optional but you would definitely have to get a tune in that case. The cams and a tune would bring all these parts together beautifully. I recommend PTE cams or Klemann. Blackbenzz could tell you all about the PTE cams.

Forget the stupid pulleys,they will make lttle to no hp difference at all.

Last edited by ProjectC55; 02-12-2011 at 01:55 PM.