CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

Upgraded from a C230 coupe to a CLK55. Questions and observations within

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 11:38 PM

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts
09 CLK550
Upgraded from a C230 coupe to a CLK55. Questions and observations within

History:
~2005, had a VW Golf. Wanted a W208 CLK320, couldn't afford it.
Bought a C230 coupe in black, auto instead.

Took a brand new CLK350 out for a test drive while my car was at the dealership one day. Felt too 'mushy' and certainly not worth ~$50K.

Jan 2009, timing chain in the engine of my C230 stretched/jumped a tooth and destroyed all the intake valves. Rebuilt the top end, sold it back to MB. Wanted a W209 CLK550, couldn't afford it.

Flew to FL and bought another C230 coupe, in manual this time. Much more fun than the auto and served me well. Paid it off last week.

Saw a 2005 CLK55 AMG for sale locally Thursday night, took it for a test drive Friday and bought it Saturday.

Observations:
The CLK55 is ~400lbs heavier than my C230 and almost 2x the HP/Torque. It feels hefty, but planted. I'm used to flooring my C230 and sliding around corners if I wanted to.
The CLK feels like.. it might kill me. The back end steps out much easier with throttle application. I have new rear's coming Friday so I felt it would be a good time to learn how the car handles and burn them up. Playing in an empty parking lot earlier tonight I had the *** end come around on me much more than expected while turning into the slide.
Playing with my friend's Z4 //M coupe in some short 'impromptu acceleration tests' we were almost dead even. He has less HP, but almost 700lbs less than my barge. I would like to take it to a track for some real comparisons.

The CLK55 is much more comfy and better optioned than my C230. While having 2" larger tires and shorter sidewall it still soaked up rough roads better. There is certainly more weight transfer while handling but for normal straight driving it is very nice.

Getting ~20mpg certainly hurts compared to my 30+ in the C230, ohh well

In a parking lot the car is very understated, which I appreciate. From the front or side you can't even tell its an AMG ('cept for the HUGE rotors). I might remove the badging as well so only people 'in the know' will have any idea.

Maintenance:
Performed Service B the day I picked it up and I have the following coming for it:
cabin air filters (outside and inside)
engine air filters
fuel filter
transmission filter & fluid for flush

I will be:
Flushing the tranny/coolant/brake fluid/steering fluid/rear diff.
new spark plugs (16?!?!)
The car is throwing a P0335 so I have a new Crank Position Sensor coming too.
2007.1 DVD NAV MCS disc update coming

Anything else need to be done at 5yrs/ 45K miles?
It looks like this car is completely OEM. The Service History seems as if it was driven very lightly.

Questions
I've noticed these things and want to know what I can do about them. I've tried to search for all of them before posting.

1. Keyless Go. The driver side door handle is broken, I have a new one on the way ($140) so I can lock/unlock it from the outside.
Is there a way to get rid of that goddamn "Don't forget your key!" BEEPING? If I press a button on the steering wheel it stops, or close the door and lock it. Can I just prevent the warning completely? Same with BEEP BEEP BEEP "Close the sunroof!" BEEP BEEP SHUT THE HELL UP.

2. Cooled seats. They don't seem to actually do anything. I took the back off both seats to confirm the little fans are actually spinning.. but I don't feel anything at all.

3. Aux-In? I have the menu option for it, I think I need the ipod cable to plug somewhere in the glove box? I have the 6 disk changed in there right now.

4. Rear windows 1-touch down? Is it possible? The front's will 1-touch auto up/down but I have to hold the rears. Do I need to sync them?

5. Engine bay seems HOT. The engine temp sits right at ~85*C but the bay is super hot to work in after a normal drive. I'm hoping a coolant flush will help some.

6. Nav:
A. Anyway to clear ALL the previous addresses? I can see everywhere the PO drove to and I can delete them 1 at a time. Is there a mass-reset?
B. Voice: I figured out how to turn the announcer's volume down, is there anyway to change it? I seem to have a british chick.

I think that's it. I'm quite excited to finally have the car I've wanted for years now.
Old 06-28-2011, 01:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts
2002 CLK430
Congrats on the purchase. 2005 is a fantastic year for the 55 coupe.
Old 06-28-2011, 02:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK55 '05 CLK320 '02
Originally Posted by ambit
History:
~2005, had a VW Golf. Wanted a W208 CLK320, couldn't afford it.
Bought a C230 coupe in black, auto instead.

Took a brand new CLK350 out for a test drive while my car was at the dealership one day. Felt too 'mushy' and certainly not worth ~$50K.

Jan 2009, timing chain in the engine of my C230 stretched/jumped a tooth and destroyed all the intake valves. Rebuilt the top end, sold it back to MB. Wanted a W209 CLK550, couldn't afford it.

Flew to FL and bought another C230 coupe, in manual this time. Much more fun than the auto and served me well. Paid it off last week.

Saw a 2005 CLK55 AMG for sale locally Thursday night, took it for a test drive Friday and bought it Saturday.

Observations:
The CLK55 is ~400lbs heavier than my C230 and almost 2x the HP/Torque. It feels hefty, but planted. I'm used to flooring my C230 and sliding around corners if I wanted to.
The CLK feels like.. it might kill me. The back end steps out much easier with throttle application. I have new rear's coming Friday so I felt it would be a good time to learn how the car handles and burn them up. Playing in an empty parking lot earlier tonight I had the *** end come around on me much more than expected while turning into the slide.
Playing with my friend's Z4 //M coupe in some short 'impromptu acceleration tests' we were almost dead even. He has less HP, but almost 700lbs less than my barge. I would like to take it to a track for some real comparisons.

The CLK55 is much more comfy and better optioned than my C230. While having 2" larger tires and shorter sidewall it still soaked up rough roads better. There is certainly more weight transfer while handling but for normal straight driving it is very nice.

Getting ~20mpg certainly hurts compared to my 30+ in the C230, ohh well

In a parking lot the car is very understated, which I appreciate. From the front or side you can't even tell its an AMG ('cept for the HUGE rotors). I might remove the badging as well so only people 'in the know' will have any idea.

Maintenance:
Performed Service B the day I picked it up and I have the following coming for it:
cabin air filters (outside and inside)
engine air filters
fuel filter
transmission filter & fluid for flush

I will be:
Flushing the tranny/coolant/brake fluid/steering fluid/rear diff.
new spark plugs (16?!?!)
The car is throwing a P0335 so I have a new Crank Position Sensor coming too.
2007.1 DVD NAV MCS disc update coming

Anything else need to be done at 5yrs/ 45K miles?
It looks like this car is completely OEM. The Service History seems as if it was driven very lightly.

Questions
I've noticed these things and want to know what I can do about them. I've tried to search for all of them before posting.

1. Keyless Go. The driver side door handle is broken, I have a new one on the way ($140) so I can lock/unlock it from the outside.
Is there a way to get rid of that goddamn "Don't forget your key!" BEEPING? If I press a button on the steering wheel it stops, or close the door and lock it. Can I just prevent the warning completely? Same with BEEP BEEP BEEP "Close the sunroof!" BEEP BEEP SHUT THE HELL UP.

2. Cooled seats. They don't seem to actually do anything. I took the back off both seats to confirm the little fans are actually spinning.. but I don't feel anything at all.

3. Aux-In? I have the menu option for it, I think I need the ipod cable to plug somewhere in the glove box? I have the 6 disk changed in there right now.

4. Rear windows 1-touch down? Is it possible? The front's will 1-touch auto up/down but I have to hold the rears. Do I need to sync them?

5. Engine bay seems HOT. The engine temp sits right at ~85*C but the bay is super hot to work in after a normal drive. I'm hoping a coolant flush will help some.

6. Nav:
A. Anyway to clear ALL the previous addresses? I can see everywhere the PO drove to and I can delete them 1 at a time. Is there a mass-reset?
B. Voice: I figured out how to turn the announcer's volume down, is there anyway to change it? I seem to have a british chick.

I think that's it. I'm quite excited to finally have the car I've wanted for years now.

congrats on the buy looks like u got urself a great deal!! for an 05 with 45k on it thats nothing for those cars!!

the aired seats only help ur skin no to stick on the leather it doesnt really do much unless u turn on the car before hand then jump in

there is an AUX port on the side wall of the glove box its small and nothing indicates it but should be easy to spot

rear windows unfortunately r not one touch but here is a quick trick for u, if u want to close all ur windows and roof all together with the press of one button just hold on the air circulation button and it will close everything for u and it will turn on the A/C as well

im not sure about clearing previous destinations but as u go it will bump the old ones out of the list just make ur self a saved list to go buy and dont bother urself with the old list

the nav lady is the same on most MBs i got used to her :P u can mute her by pressing the mute button when ever she stars talking thats what i do when ever it gets annoying

ask if u have more questions and welcome aboard!
Old 06-28-2011, 03:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
AMG GLC63. Audi R8
Congrats. You've gone from fly a Piper Cub to a F-18. The British voice is one of the Bond girls. I'd keep her. I got some **** B i t c h on my C63. I changed to French so she's not so demanding. There should be a mini jack in the glove box (like the audio out on your computer that you can plug an MP3 player into (including an Ipod) but it won't charge or control the player. You'll need to have the dealer add the Ipod cable. Check around the price varies alot dealer to dealer. The Ipod control is kinda funky (steering wheel buttons only) but at least it works. Looks like you plan to dump all the fluids (i do not believe fluids last 10 years or 100,000 miles) a good idea.

Last edited by DuaneC63; 06-28-2011 at 03:39 AM.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:04 AM

'05 CLK55, '04 CLK320
I saw this car on ebay, you got a car with alot of great options. Keyless go and the a/c seats being two options not as common. I think the only thing you didnt get is parktronic. I knew this one was going to get grabbed quick
Old 06-28-2011, 08:55 AM

2003 CLK 55 AMG
i just hit the arrow buttons on my steering wheel (that control the speedo screen) whenever i open the door, it gets rid of the beeping
Old 06-28-2011, 08:55 AM

2003 CLK 55 AMG
NICE RIDE! im jealous of the quads!
Old 06-28-2011, 10:56 AM

09 CLK550
Thanks guys.
I specifically wanted this model year for the dual quads & new style tail lights
I would have actually prefered the 17" split spoke rims, cheaper to put new rubber on since I feel I'll be going through a few sets.

Hami:
Cooled seats: I figured those little fans wouldn't do much. I was hoping maybe mine were just stuck on 'low' or something.

I'll check for the aux port when the cabin air filters come in and I'll be crammed in the passenger footwell again.
DuaneC63: I plan on getting the actual Ipod cable as well.

Rear windows: That's so strange. I can roll them all down from the outside at once by holding down the unlock key on my FOB. But once I'm in the car I need to hold the button to roll the rears down. Weird.

Moedy: Yes I think Parktronic is the only option missing. The goofy power sunshade on the rear window has gotten me some rolled eyes from coworkers

THE DAMN BEEPING: Maybe I'll pull the console out of the dash and find that freakin little speaker. 1 or 2 dings would be ok, but this will go on for 2 minutes if I don't press anything.
Old 06-28-2011, 02:07 PM

'05 CLK55, '04 CLK320
It doesnt have the newer style tails. They came in the 06 model but you can replace them. You did get the updated interior center console though
Old 06-28-2011, 03:34 PM

CLK55 '05 CLK320 '02
Originally Posted by ambit
Thanks guys.
I specifically wanted this model year for the dual quads & new style tail lights
I would have actually prefered the 17" split spoke rims, cheaper to put new rubber on since I feel I'll be going through a few sets.

Hami:
Cooled seats: I figured those little fans wouldn't do much. I was hoping maybe mine were just stuck on 'low' or something.

I'll check for the aux port when the cabin air filters come in and I'll be crammed in the passenger footwell again.
DuaneC63: I plan on getting the actual Ipod cable as well.

Rear windows: That's so strange. I can roll them all down from the outside at once by holding down the unlock key on my FOB. But once I'm in the car I need to hold the button to roll the rears down. Weird.

Moedy: Yes I think Parktronic is the only option missing. The goofy power sunshade on the rear window has gotten me some rolled eyes from coworkers

THE DAMN BEEPING: Maybe I'll pull the console out of the dash and find that freakin little speaker. 1 or 2 dings would be ok, but this will go on for 2 minutes if I don't press anything.
yea the car eats through tires like its candy!! if you want to good set of all seasons get the continental extreme contact had them for over a year im due for a change now but with pennsylvania weather it does wonders

if the ventilated seats r really bothering u do what i did i got a remote ignition its good for those hot days and even better when its snowing outside

I actually asked to add the rear sunshade and the dealer i got here said its not possible but i dont really believe them I want to add that to my car, does it roll down once ur on reverse gear?
Old 06-28-2011, 10:02 PM

04 Crossfire MB 5.0L M113 V8 6spd, 05 Bagged SRT6w/55K AMG V8 ,2016 C300 Sport
Very Nice buy!! You buy that in West Chester PA? If so, I also went and looked at it, a very nice deal! Congrats.
Old 06-28-2011, 11:55 PM

09 CLK550
Moedy: I was thinking of the older W208 tails and thought there was a refresh like the C class got.

hami: I'll have yokohama's all around once the new rears arrive. I have a 4x4 truck for the winter, I don't think I'll be taking this out much. I would normally put Bridgestone Blizzak's on my C230 in the winter but they don't make them in 255/35/R18

I found the aux in port today too.

silverjimm: Yeah at Sky Motors off 202/322. They had a really nice red RS4 & a black C63 as well.

Last edited by ambit; 06-28-2011 at 11:57 PM.
Old 06-29-2011, 12:01 PM

2006 CLK55 AMG Cabriolet
congrats on the great car. We basically followed the same exact steps.
Old 06-29-2011, 03:47 PM

04 Crossfire MB 5.0L M113 V8 6spd, 05 Bagged SRT6w/55K AMG V8 ,2016 C300 Sport
[QUOTE=silverjimm: Yeah at Sky Motors off 202/322. They had a really nice red RS4 & a black C63 as well.[/QUOTE]

Thought so, Again Congrats on a Nice car!!
Old 06-29-2011, 04:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 68 Likes on 44 Posts
C63 507 AMG DA Car #19
Welcome to the club!!!!!! Nice ride
Old 07-20-2011, 10:38 AM

09 CLK550
1st Month update:

Maintenance Performed:
Interior and exterior cabin air filters changed
engine air filters changed
transmission filter & fluid changed
Flushed old blue coolant out for 'orange' new stuff from MB, $22/gallon Didn't seem to make much difference, engine bay is still HOT after driving.
Rear diff was $30/qt and I needed 2 :O
16 new spark plugs are in. Also did both valve cover gaskets while I was in there. Drivers side sucked, was very tight with the EGR hoses and fuel line.
Replaced Crank Position Sensor
Replaced drivers side door handle. Keyless entry wires had frayed and didn't work reliably.
Replaced the cooling fans in the drivers side seat with better ones. It actually does something now

Still to do:
fuel filter
Still bleeding the brakes slowly
The steering fluid is ~$33 from MB. I bought it, but never got around to doing it so I took it back.
Still need the 2007.1 DVD NAV MCS disc

Still researching:
I would love to find some way to permenantly stop that goddamn "Don't forget your key!' BEEPING and BEEPING and BEEPING.
Still haven't found a way to 1-touch ALL the windows down. The front's will 1-touch auto up/down but I have to hold the rears.

Both the spark plugs on the rear of the engine seemed in rough shape. The wires running to them seemed a bit orange with oxidation. I might replace them, but they're a huge ***** to get to.
You can see the right-most one here from the passenger side:

AMG cams/lifters

Porta potty!

Does anyone have winter tire recommendations? There doesn't seem to be anything in these sizes. I might need different rims but the front brakes are HUGE. I don't plan on driving it much in the winter but would rather be prepared.
Old 07-20-2011, 11:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2001 E55 - 2008 CLS63 -2016 F-150
i ran some hankook icebears all winter and just recently put my summer tires on , they arnt the most expensive but worked great for me all winter long
Old 07-28-2011, 03:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 CLK 55
Nice options on your 55
Old 07-28-2011, 06:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 68 Likes on 44 Posts
C63 507 AMG DA Car #19
Great Car! Love the factory duals out back.
Old 08-11-2011, 06:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2015.5 Volvo V60 Polestar
Congrats on picking up an 05!

Do all W209s have a Aux input or just the 05s and up?
Old 07-06-2013, 08:06 PM
fd3

2002 CLK55 AMG 2002 c230k 02 Triumph America 1992 300e
I as a matter of fact also just went to a clk55 AMG from a c230K. My benzolution looks something like this
19 years old (2004)- 2001 c320 Black on Black (total loss)
22 years old - 1989 190e Gold on Brown (180k) totaled - rear ended by a garbage truck
24 years old - 1992 300e White on Ash Grey leather. quite possibly my favorite of all. Bought this car for $1000 cash, 195k Miles Supposedly had a radiator leaking issue. Made the uneducated decision to put "stop leak" in radiator. Car immediately has a over heating problem, now instead of just having to add antifreeze, I know had to shut the car off at lights and park wait for an hour and start driving again. Bought a new radiator from ebay abt $150, had a Craigslist Mechanic replace it for 30 bucks, Still overheated the CL mechanic which was a 20 year old kid that seriously knew his stuff also luckily had a friend of his from germany working with in his garage, he was more than familiar w the w124. He said lets try the thermostat. Replaced the thermostat, literally refused to take my money although i was overjoyed it was now fixed with a 15 dollar part. I then drove this car for nearly 4 years straight with NO major problems. Not a single repair over a hundred bucks. Finally on a cold winter morning the air pump seized cost me $800. The only problem with this car was no AC and I could not go another colorado summer w/o one. I sold this beautiful, comfortable, reliable, and down right steal of a deal with 282 thousand miles. Yes that was 87,000 miles for about 2300 dollars including all repairs and car price. to then sell the car for 2500 cash. My greatest car experience by far. also from when I bought it to the day I sold it, it always had Heat, Power Everything that always worked and probably still does including sunroof. The only thing was the AC couldn't hold a charge.
I then bought a c230K, I was actually looking for a clk but came across this and couldn't pass it up. a whole other crazy story for that one.
Just this past month I have finally gotten my CLK, which happens to be a CLK55 AMG Orion Blue w/ the 2 tone interior

to sum up the benzolution simply
2001 c320 Black on Black
1989 190E Gold on Brown
1992 300E White on Ash
2002 C230K White on Black
2002 CLK55 AMG Orion Blue on Dark Blue w/ Light Blue Inserts and Stitching two tone interior
Old 07-07-2013, 12:20 AM

C63 AMG
Congrats on the CAR! I bought my 05 CLK55 AMG with 54K on it. Love the car except for that damn beeping! I asked the dealership, and my aftermarket shop about destroying that beeping speaker but neither seemed to have any luck. Otherwise the car is awesome!