CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

2001 CLK55 AMG vibration

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 02:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 CLK55 AMG
2001 CLK55 AMG vibration

I’ve recently bought a 2001 CLK55 AMG with 120,000kms.
There’s a bad vibration between 90kph and around 120kph. I recently had my front wheel bearings replaced, as well as my tie rods, as these had play in them.

I also had my rims checked, and the left front was out of round, but this has also been repaired. All the others are OK.

I had the tyres checked and these also seem OK, but the tyre guy who checked the vibration reckons that in his experience, the problem is with the prop shaft bearings and/or the flex discs.

The brake discs were replaced at about 100,000kms and these look fine. Overall, the car has been well serviced and maintained.

Vibrations seem to be a common problem based on what I’ve read in the forums, but there doesn’t seem to be any definitive cause or solution to it.

Has anyone had their vibrations disappear after changing the prop shaft bearings and flex discs?

Thanks in advance for any comments or suggestions!
Old 09-26-2011, 02:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
S55K AMG
I have had to have all of my motor mounts and tranny mounts (twice) replaced which creates a vibration at certain speeds. Just another area to check as the torque from these large V8's can collapse the rubber mounts relatively quickly.
Old 09-27-2011, 01:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts
2002 CLK430
If it's one or both of the flex discs, you want to have it fixed ASAP. Braking a front flex disc at speed can take out the tail shaft on the transmission and/or the floor board. They are normal wear parts. I've never worn out the shaft bearings. Maybe it's because I change the front flex disc as soon as the first crack is spotted.
Old 10-09-2011, 07:24 AM

2001 CLK55 AMG
I went back to the garage, and they said that the new bearing that was installed needed tightening. After doing this we checked the flex discs and prop shaft bearings. These were all OK. I also got a new set of tyres (michelin PS3) and after all this the vibration was about 90% less, with only a small vibration (possibly the steering damper) at about 100kmph.

However, I didn't use the car for 4 days since doing all this, and there was a really bad vibration at over 80kmph for the first 10 minutes of driving, then it reverted to the slight vibration. It was the same situation 2 days later.

So it now seems that it could be heat related. Is this tyres warming up, or the brake discs?

Anyone any ideas?

Thanks!
Old 10-09-2011, 08:06 AM

'05 CL65
hi mate

which garage are you taking it too? I had a severe vibration/jerking at around 60 k/ph which was solved by a transmission flush and new oil/filters.. obviously the previous owner had neglected it. "vibration" is a rather general description though so it could be many things, but unless you know you can rule this out its worth a go. I had Bin daher do it and it was 1500 dhs for 2 flushes and new oil/filter

edit. wrong forum, as I have a CL but nevertheless, could still apply.

good luck, Sir
Old 10-09-2011, 08:21 AM

2001 CLK55 AMG
Hi Ezah,

I go to A2B garage, near Times Square centre. I only started going to them about a month ago when I bought the Merc, but they seem to be the best that I've found in all the years I've been in Dubai. They do a good job, have good prices, and know what they're doing. The good thing is that they let me into the garage so I can watch what they're doing and see for myself.

The transmission fluid has already been changed though, as I had to replace the gearbox sump gasket, so that shouldn't be a problem.

It's difficult to diagnose, especially as the symptoms seem to have changed...
As the next step, I'll bring it to the tyre shop near the oasis centre (can't remember the name of it), as they have a decent Hunter wheel balancing machine so I can get the wheels and tyres tested out and balanced properly.

Cheers
Old 10-09-2011, 09:47 AM

'05 CL65
ahh I see.. it was worth a shot as it made a night & day difference to my car. I use AAA around the corner from there behind the Tasjeel, and if you need a hook up for parts PM me, about 40% less than the dealer.

andy

Trending Topics

Old 10-09-2011, 11:03 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
Euros
When they balanced the wheels, did they use a road force balancer?
Old 10-09-2011, 11:11 AM

2001 CLK55 AMG
Don,
No. They just used the normal wheel balancer.
I've found a place with a hunter road force balancer, so I'll be getting the wheels/tyres tested there during the week. Hopefully that will sort it.