CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

My Modding Progress

Old 02-19-2012, 09:42 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
My Modding Progress

I wanted to keep a log of my cars progress to share with everyone and get input/advice as well as be able to look back and see what I did in the past in case I forget. Here is a basic run down on what I have on my W208 CLK55:

Kleemann (autorotor twinscrew) supercharger with 60mm pulley
Custom belt wrap to get maximum wrap around SC pulley
Kleemann headers (I really want longtubes but can't find any)
Custom intake
Custom dual 3" exhaust (Kleemann downpipes are only around 2.5" which is another reason I want longtubes with 3" collectors)
Custom 82mm TB setup with ported SC inlet and bigger MAF housing
Torque converter and built trans
PTE cams and E55 heads I had ported for my car
Custom heat exchanger, Johnson CM90 pump, trunk ice resevoir with large lines
SLR injectors

The ported heads, smaller SC pulley, and better belt wrap I did last week and saw some good gains on the dyno after Jerry from Eurocharged flew in and tuned it on 93 octane. My baseline dyno was from late 2010 so not the best baseline but I hadn't changed anything from then until now. I noticed when I took my old steel pulley off there were grroves on the backside of the pulley, it was spinning on the SC shaft. I don't know why they don't have a keyway on these things. The new pulley is aluminum so its much lighter.

On to yesterday when I took the car out to the track for the first time in about 1.5 years to see what it would trap. If I launch the car axles break. So I would literally roll off the line and then punch it a little later so I wouldn't break axles. I was getting a misfire in 3rd gear at ~5000rpm in cylinder 8 and these cars shut down that bank when it detects enough misfire. Still managed to trap 130.7 misfiring up top rolling off the line with a 2.6 60' (On Bias ply tires so it wasn't spinning I was just easing off the line). I didn't use ice or anything becaue I wanted to see how it would do under regular circumstances. After I saw the misfire I added some VP109 to see if it would go away... it didn't. next run i left a little harder, 2.0 60' and ran 11.2 @129.x misfiring up top again. My usual 60' is low 1.5x and once a 1.49 but I didnt want to launch and risk breaking an axle if the car would misfire up top. The rule of thumb is whatever you take off your 60' it almost doubles on the top end. Without using that rule of thumb that would have been a 10.7 pass misifiring if I did my usual launch. Using that rule it would have been 10.2 So I'm guessing it would be somewhere in between. If I can get this misfire figured we will know for sure

The things I'm thinking it could be is plug gap (0.027), fuel injector, something related to MAF (most likely since sometimes it revs by itself at idle), restricted headers, etc. If anyone has experienced this let me know.

I'm going to try several things. I did compression test before I put the heads on and all cylinders looked great. Within a few % of each other. So it is doubtful it is bottom end, I also looked at everything when I had heads off and it looked fine. I'm thinking it may be a post MAF leak and I need to spray intake and vacuum lines down and see if there is a leak. I'm also going to pull a plug and do compression test just in case. Another thing it could be is MAF voltage since I have an adjustable resistor on it, car idles pretty lean (I have wideband in the car).

My best run to date it 10.57 @ 128.9 on pump 93 octane but I haven't run since late 2010 except for a couple passes yesterday. I have a feeling I can do MUCH better than that soon as misfire is fixed and I launch it. I'm also trying to figure out the axle situation and bought some parts that should be here Thursday I will buy long tube headers with 3" collectors or have them made. After looking at mine off the car they are very restrictive for my power level. The power steering box and cramped room makes it difficult to make a good set but I've seen it done before but I lost that guys number

I'm always open to suggestions and input so feel free to chime in. I'm willing to learn more. This will serve as a log for me to look back on as well and should be very helpful in the future

Last edited by blackbenzz; 02-19-2012 at 09:46 AM.
Old 02-19-2012, 10:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 68 Likes on 44 Posts
C63 507 AMG DA Car #19
Missfire - Do you have access to DAS? That might tell you something about the misfire issue.
What are your longterm fuel trims?

Things that come to mind to check:
1. Data-log boost on each run
2. Data-log AFR on each run
3. Data-log inj pulse width
4. Data-log fuel pressure
5. Data-log timing etc. etc.....
This might tell you something about your tune on the actual runs.

Items to check for mis-fires:
1. Read plugs in that hole. See if getting fire if wet with oil or fuel etc....
2. spark plug wires to that hole....good shape?
3. coil for that hole? working cond?
4. compression for that hole.... p-test and leakdown.
5. fuel inj performance for that hole.... have them flow tested on a bench. could be faulty inj, dirty, plugged, malfunctioning... leaking o-rings on the inj?
6. spark plug condition?.... gap check, fouled plug?, bad plug, loose spark plug screw on top connector?,

If you are running 11.2's..... easing off the line AND on 7 Cyls..... that is one serious BEAST!

Last edited by betrezra; 02-19-2012 at 10:21 AM.
Old 02-19-2012, 10:45 AM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
Originally Posted by betrezra
Missfire - Do you have access to DAS? That might tell you something about the misfire issue.
What are your longterm fuel trims?

Things that come to mind to check:
1. Data-log boost on each run
2. Data-log AFR on each run
3. Data-log inj pulse width
4. Data-log fuel pressure
5. Data-log timing etc. etc.....
This might tell you something about your tune on the actual runs.

Items to check for mis-fires:
1. Read plugs in that hole. See if getting fire if wet with oil or fuel etc....
2. spark plug wires to that hole....good shape?
3. coil for that hole? working cond?
4. compression for that hole.... p-test and leakdown.
5. fuel inj performance for that hole.... have them flow tested on a bench. could be faulty inj, dirty, plugged, malfunctioning... leaking o-rings on the inj?
6. spark plug condition?.... gap check, fouled plug?, bad plug, loose spark plug screw on top connector?,

If you are running 11.2's..... easing off the line AND on 7 Cyls..... that is one serious BEAST!
Thanks for the input. The coils and wires are new. I will pull a plug and do compression test and look at the condition of the plug. Maybe gap them down a bit. It is only cylinder 8. I want to recalibrate my wideband to see where AFR actually is but it was reading low tens currently. We found out later the wideband on the dyno wasn't reading correcty and we were tuning off that. I may swap injector with another cylinder while I have the rail looped.

I will upload the slip so you believe me about the 11.2 with 2.0 60'. It was def misfiring in 3rd gear because wideband pegged lean and CEL came on with a code for cylinder 8 misfire on each pass.

This was the first start up after we installed our custom ported heads on my car

http://youtu.be/U3WGxrk9ens

Last edited by blackbenzz; 02-19-2012 at 11:10 AM.
Old 02-19-2012, 08:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 SL600 by SPEEDRIVEN
I love you guys and I am learning a lot from your experience and testing. Keep the posts coming and more of us will follow in your steps. Thanks!
Old 02-19-2012, 09:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 507 AMG DA Car #19
You've got ***** to run WOT several times with lean AFR up top of 3rd and CEL and cyl misfire!!!!! Holy crap.

I would sort that out before any more fun WOT runs..... (i'm a chicken when it comes to hg's, afr, fuel, and boost......)
Old 02-19-2012, 09:43 PM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
You've got ***** to run WOT several times with lean AFR up top of 3rd and CEL and cyl misfire!!!!! Holy crap.

I would sort that out before any more fun WOT runs..... (i'm a chicken when it comes to hg's, afr, fuel, and boost......)
I did two runs. One was on pump gas and then race gas. Yea I should have let out but I dont like losing lol. Once that cylinder misfires the ECU shuts it down which is why my wideband reads lean

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=if-i4...JZGDSFxx9g8XuP

Yea of course I'm going to sort it out.

Last edited by blackbenzz; 02-19-2012 at 11:45 PM.
Old 02-19-2012, 09:44 PM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
Originally Posted by ashutt
I love you guys and I am learning a lot from your experience and testing. Keep the posts coming and more of us will follow in your steps. Thanks!
Glad we can help. It really hurts the wallet to be a pioneer but others benefit from the results. Also if you do things right it pays off
Old 02-20-2012, 07:21 PM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
Pulled the plugs and they looked good. Did compression test and its ok. Coil and wires are pretty new. Next I will swap injectors. I'm starting to think it may be the headers not allowing the exhaust gases out quick enough
If MBH doesn't make headers soon I'm dropping my car off next week to get custom headers made. 1 7/8" primaries and 3" collectors

Cylinder 8

5 and 6

Old 02-21-2012, 06:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
AMG
Glad to see you are still representing the W208 after all this time!!
Old 02-21-2012, 07:40 AM
Mob

00' CLK 55 AMG
Originally Posted by Chappy
+1
Originally Posted by ashutt
+1

Love your car blackbenzz, gives me so much inspiration for mine!
Old 02-21-2012, 12:53 PM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
I'm starting to lean towards a MAF issue now

Originally Posted by Chappy
I love the styling of the W208 and although it's stupid I can't seem to stop dumping money into it lol. I can't wait to get this misfire taken care of
Originally Posted by Mob
Love your car blackbenzz, gives me so much inspiration for mine!
Thanks! Glad people appreciate the car
Old 02-21-2012, 01:26 PM
SPONSOR

Location: Houston/ Austin /Toronto / UAE / Minneapolis / Orlando /Cincinnati
Received 148 Likes on 108 Posts
Eurocharged Performance ML63 and TT lambo
no cats on car?
Old 02-21-2012, 01:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2015.5 Volvo V60 Polestar
Amazing times. You are right there with Weistec CLK63 BS's but your on pump gas. Simply amazing. In for wheelie pictures.

Props to you and all your hard work.
Old 02-21-2012, 01:47 PM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
I think the larger oval MAF housing I had made is causing the MAF reading to be off and therefore cause the misfire. I'm going to switch to a round housing and see what happens. Also want to loop the fuel rail

Originally Posted by loungn14
no cats on car?
None whatsoever
Originally Posted by Nachtsturm
Amazing times. You are right there with Weistec CLK63 BS's but your on pump gas. Simply amazing. In for wheelie pictures.

Props to you and all your hard work.
Thanks. I ran 10.5's on pump 1.5 years ago and then I stopped racing but I'm back. Before there were any SC 63s lol. Weistec has done an amazing job with their SC kits and they are a top notch company! I plan on raising the bar to a whole nother level once the issues are sorted and i get axles. The car trapped 130 on 7 cylinders after 90mph and not even launching the car
Old 02-21-2012, 07:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 507 AMG DA Car #19
BB - you might be on to something with the MASS AIR SENSOR housing. In our cars it IS THE logic behind all the AFR/Timing operations...... which is not really a good thing considering how unreliable these bosch mas sensors are. I'm wondering (at your level) if there is benefit to switching to a MAP Sensor tune setup like the e55k guys?????
Old 02-21-2012, 07:49 PM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
BB - you might be on to something with the MASS AIR SENSOR housing. In our cars it IS THE logic behind all the AFR/Timing operations...... which is not really a good thing considering how unreliable these bosch mas sensors are. I'm wondering (at your level) if there is benefit to switching to a MAP Sensor tune setup like the e55k guys?????
I hope this new setup will fix my issues. Only weird thing is why only misfire in cylinder 8 if its a MAF issue? I dunno but it's worth a shot. I would love to switch to a MAP sensor but is that even possible with our ECU's? I probably wont get around to having the new housing made as I'm going overseas for a few days this weekend but hopefully I will get this resolved.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 507 AMG DA Car #19
To go to MAP Setup... you'd need the E55k ecu and wiring harness..... and allot of work to wire it in..........
Old 02-22-2012, 12:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 C200K SS, '05 Kleemann CLK500K, '08 Hummer H3 & '92 Z34 5sp (track car in Canada)
Another epic Kleemann thread, amazing the power and times you guys are putting down & posting.
Old 02-22-2012, 02:50 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
clk55 amg
Keep up the good work brother!!
Old 02-22-2012, 06:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 507 AMG DA Car #19
Agreed 2precise - Building an 11 second mustang is super easy because it's been done 1000* before.... so you just copy what the last guy did with mail order parts for the cheap.

BB has the cajoles to go beyond the off the shelf mods to build what is arguably the fastest clk on the planet........ in a un-obtainium world regarding parts/labor/tuning! Major props and major committment to pull this off.

I would love to see the look on joe-saleen's face when this little black benz shows him MB TAIL LIGHTS HA.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:19 PM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
Originally Posted by Kevwood
Another epic Kleemann thread, amazing the power and times you guys are putting down & posting.
Thanks
Originally Posted by 2PRECISE
Keep up the good work brother!!
Thanks buddy, you have been very helpful. Thanks for making that SC pulley fr me on such short notice! If anyone needs a custom pulley made contact 2precise! Can't wait until you get that monster to the track
Agreed 2precise - Building an 11 second mustang is super easy because it's been done 1000* before.... so you just copy what the last guy did with mail order parts for the cheap.

BB has the cajoles to go beyond the off the shelf mods to build what is arguably the fastest clk on the planet........ in a un-obtainium world regarding parts/labor/tuning! Major props and major committment to pull this off.

I would love to see the look on joe-saleen's face when this little black benz shows him MB TAIL LIGHTS HA.
Thanks. It takes a crazy person to dump this kind of time and money into one of these cars. I could have built an 8 second street car by now haha. If I can get it to run on 8 cylinders it should run a number.

Last edited by blackbenzz; 02-23-2012 at 08:02 AM.
Old 02-23-2012, 01:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 C200K SS, '05 Kleemann CLK500K, '08 Hummer H3 & '92 Z34 5sp (track car in Canada)
Any solution for axles?
Old 02-23-2012, 06:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 507 AMG DA Car #19
Is there an e55 axle conversion solution for our rides?
Old 02-23-2012, 08:05 AM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
I'm working on an axle solution. I'm not sure if w209 has same axles/diff as w208. I'm probably switching the diff and axles at same time
Old 02-23-2012, 09:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cool, I'll be watching to see what you find. Looking forward to them header pics

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: My Modding Progress