CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

Most reliable CLK55?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-17-2013, 04:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 Macan S; 1996 911 C4S
Most reliable CLK55?

I owned a 2001 CLK55 for a few years between late 2001 and mid 2006, and loved it. I then had a 2005 C55 for a few years, and loved it too. For the past 6 1/2 years I've owned 3 Porsche 997's and they have been awesome. But I now live in a climate and area where my 06 Porsche cabriolet isn't ideally suitable for me. So in considering what would give me almost the same amount of driving pleasure, I recalled that the two AMGs I had were a close second to the Porsches, with the 01 CLK55 being slightly preferable to the C55 (didn't like the electronic throttle, but did like the rack and pinion steering).

So now I'm looking at picking up a CLK55 again, since they are tough and provide a lot of bang for the buck given their current pricing between $9000 and $18,000 depending on year and mileage. I prefer the exterior looks of the 01 and 02 models, but am curious if the 03-08 CLK55's are similarly tough, or if there are some years that were better than others. Any insights would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 11-18-2013, 11:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2015.5 Volvo V60 Polestar
Originally Posted by keninblaine
I owned a 2001 CLK55 for a few years between late 2001 and mid 2006, and loved it. I then had a 2005 C55 for a few years, and loved it too. For the past 6 1/2 years I've owned 3 Porsche 997's and they have been awesome. But I now live in a climate and area where my 06 Porsche cabriolet isn't ideally suitable for me. So in considering what would give me almost the same amount of driving pleasure, I recalled that the two AMGs I had were a close second to the Porsches, with the 01 CLK55 being slightly preferable to the C55 (didn't like the electronic throttle, but did like the rack and pinion steering).

So now I'm looking at picking up a CLK55 again, since they are tough and provide a lot of bang for the buck given their current pricing between $9000 and $18,000 depending on year and mileage. I prefer the exterior looks of the 01 and 02 models, but am curious if the 03-08 CLK55's are similarly tough, or if there are some years that were better than others. Any insights would be appreciated. Thanks.
I had an 01, and now my 05. My 01 had a few things wrong with it but nothing major. My 05 has been pretty reliable thus far.

I would not buy an 03, issues with the valeo radiator can lead to trans failures. 04 is stout. If you are looking for a coupe, I cannot recommend the 2005 enough. Had many updates, quad exhaust, suspension, interior, bigger brakes, etc. Only 247 of these made it stateside tho.

Main issues for the W209 2003-2006 CLK

Rear Main Seal Leaking
Valve Covers Leaking
Seat Modules causing a parasitic drain leading to dead battery

In all honesty, why dont you just sell the 997 Cab, and buy a 997 Carerra 4?
Old 11-18-2013, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by Nachtsturm
I had an 01, and now my 05. My 01 had a few things wrong with it but nothing major. My 05 has been pretty reliable thus far.

I would not buy an 03, issues with the valeo radiator can lead to trans failures. 04 is stout. If you are looking for a coupe, I cannot recommend the 2005 enough. Had many updates, quad exhaust, suspension, interior, bigger brakes, etc. Only 247 of these made it stateside tho.

Main issues for the W209 2003-2006 CLK

Rear Main Seal Leaking
Valve Covers Leaking
Seat Modules causing a parasitic drain leading to dead battery

In all honesty, why dont you just sell the 997 Cab, and buy a 997 Carerra 4?
Thanks very much for the helpful info.
An AWD Porsche wouldn't help me a lot (but I now wish I had kept my Targa 4S that I sold in So Cal 4 years ago!) because the issues are more related to space limitations for errands and trips, and tire noise on the course freeways here in the PNW. Because of the Porsche's space limitations, I have an older RAV4 that I use as a beater for errands etc. With something like a CLK I could likely revert to one vehicle instead of 2. When I had my 01 CLK55 I could go to Home Depot and load up with 10' sections of PVC pipe, 8' lumber, etc which would all fit inside with the trunk closed! For 10' pipes I found the CLK more suitable than my Ford Ranger pickup I had at the time.

The CLK is only one of my considerations, which I find appealing due to the smaller amount of money to tie up for a lot of driving satisfaction. But I am keeping an eye on the Macan to be released this week, and Audi SQ5 (I know, both are at the opposite end of the spending spectrum). And if I can't get a good price for my gorgeous Porsche, I'll keep things as they are.

Thanks again Nachsturm.
Old 11-19-2013, 09:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 ML 550, CLK63 AMG, 2012 E350 4MATIC
I ran up on a bright yellow porsche turbo cab on a twisty seaside road the other day, I think I surprised him. He didn't go crazy, but we had a spirited and somewhat tame drive through some twisties. We hit a straight bit and he got on it, and I know he was surprised the mercedes behind him could keep up! He turned off and gave a wave. That 997 in yellow is a beaut.
But you can't hear it!
whatever exhaust note he was putting out was drowned out by the 63amg...even pointing aft the thing makes a nice sound with the top down. I drove between two buildings the other day, the sound resonating in this concrete canyon was incredible!
Old 11-19-2013, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by schorert1
I ran up on a bright yellow porsche turbo cab on a twisty seaside road the other day, I think I surprised him. He didn't go crazy, but we had a spirited and somewhat tame drive through some twisties. We hit a straight bit and he got on it, and I know he was surprised the mercedes behind him could keep up! He turned off and gave a wave. That 997 in yellow is a beaut.
But you can't hear it!
whatever exhaust note he was putting out was drowned out by the 63amg...even pointing aft the thing makes a nice sound with the top down. I drove between two buildings the other day, the sound resonating in this concrete canyon was incredible!
Your story reminds me of a romp I took 10 years ago in my 01 CLK55. I was following a sport bike on the Ortega Highway in Orange County, which is very twisty in places. We had a ball flying through there together. He'd get ahead on some corners, and I'd catch up again on the short straights.

Having had 2 55 AMG's and 3 Porsches, I agree that there is nothing as satisfying as the throaty gutsy exhaust note on the big AMG V8's, and I think the 63AMG is probably the best of all. And that wonderful torque is intoxicating. But for pure handling capability on a real twisty road, nothing is as satisfying as a Porsche IMO.
Old 11-19-2013, 07:14 PM
RPB

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

2001 or 2002 CLK55 hands down! One of the best hand-built engines by AMG before Chrysler got involved and started cutting corners. GL on your search!

Last edited by RPB; 11-19-2013 at 07:17 PM.
Old 11-20-2013, 12:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2015.5 Volvo V60 Polestar
Thanks very much for the helpful info.
An AWD Porsche wouldn't help me a lot (but I now wish I had kept my Targa 4S that I sold in So Cal 4 years ago!) because the issues are more related to space limitations for errands and trips, and tire noise on the course freeways here in the PNW. Because of the Porsche's space limitations, I have an older RAV4 that I use as a beater for errands etc. With something like a CLK I could likely revert to one vehicle instead of 2. When I had my 01 CLK55 I could go to Home Depot and load up with 10' sections of PVC pipe, 8' lumber, etc which would all fit inside with the trunk closed! For 10' pipes I found the CLK more suitable than my Ford Ranger pickup I had at the time.

The CLK is only one of my considerations, which I find appealing due to the smaller amount of money to tie up for a lot of driving satisfaction. But I am keeping an eye on the Macan to be released this week, and Audi SQ5 (I know, both are at the opposite end of the spending spectrum). And if I can't get a good price for my gorgeous Porsche, I'll keep things as they are.

Thanks again Nachsturm.
You're welcome.

It is funny, as I want to buy a 997 Carrera 4 and use as a "solo" car. My CLK55 is a garage queen.

The Macan is very appealing to me, could not blame you going that route.
Old 11-27-2013, 09:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
02 CLK 55 AMG,09 C63 loaded with P30
I love my 02 Clk55 for daily driving. Lots of trunk room,smooth as butter,power to boot. My C63 is just raw.