CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

Driver side seat control issue.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-15-2018, 06:19 AM

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
2009 SLK 55, 2010 ML350
Driver side seat control issue.

Something strange happened the last time I took my car in for repairs. Had the front suspension fixed and when I got the car back, everything was fine...until I went to adjust the seat. First the controls were a little crazy and did what they wanted...now, nothing. Worked perfectly before.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

W208 CLK55, 2002
Old 07-15-2018, 05:08 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
Yea, take the car back to the place you had fix whatever and comment!
Old 07-16-2018, 01:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 98 Likes on 88 Posts
2002 CLK 55 AMG cabriolet Eurocharged
Could be a coincidence. Tech moved the seat for comfort and blew a fuse.
I hardly use the seat controls. Track day with helmet interference or Daily commute. Motors get much exercise by lifting the backrest for rear access though.
Have one seat to replumb a passenger seat on one of my cars with new pneumatic pipes though. Brittle and crumbled apart.
It helps to have star when diagnosing the seat. A reset can get it working again for some time.

Cheers, Gator
Old 07-19-2018, 02:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK55
Check the 25A (white) fuse in the rear fuse box near the battery in the trunk. Fuse #8 or #9 from memory. It could be that the fore-aft motor under the seat is faulty. I fixed my motor without replacing it.
Old 07-19-2018, 08:12 PM

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
almost all seat blown fuses result from a bad motor going....replace it while you are able to move the seat into a position that gets you to the motor (3 motors...middle is the issue). If motor goes bad when seat is back, almost impossible to get hands in there....BTW...usually have to remove rear motor to get to the screws holding middle motor.
Old 07-20-2018, 12:46 AM

CLK55
If you are game/brave/confident, you can usually repair the motor. I have repaired 2 fore/aft drive motors now with reliable results and no parts. The fore/aft motor is the middle motor. The seat can stay in the car, tilted backwards so that the wiring can remain connected, allowing you to operate the seats using the door switches. This is what i did:
  1. Check that there is a 12V supply to the motor by measuring between the black and either blue or white wires when the switch is operated.
If there is no power, and the fuse is good, the motor may not be faulty. The cover of the seat controller module has to be removed to access the wiring harness that leads to the motor/s. A tiny torx screw holds the cover in place.
  1. Remove the motor from the the seat base. You can do this without removing the other motors either side.
  2. If power is available and the motor doesn't still doesn't operate even after removing the motor (i.e. not mechanical load on the motor) then there may be a problem with the cable drive system.
  3. Using a small flat blade screwdriver, carefully pry the nylon end-cap from the motor. Do this carefully so that the brushes are not damaged when the cap comes away from the motor.
  4. Remove the armature from the motor housing. Don't lose the little washes from the armature shaft.
  5. Now you'll probably find that the the copper commutator bar on the end of the armature is very dirty and greasy. Same for the brushes in the end cap. Clean these with CRC contact cleaner or a similar solvent. Make sure that the gaps between the commutator are also clean. Use the small screwdriver to clean any remaining gunk from the gaps in the commutator.
  6. Put the brushes back into the guides in the end cap. Put the armature into the end cap and check that the brushes are sitting on the commutator.
  7. Find a thicker shaft phillips screwdriver or suitable rod and put it into the end of the motor body, through the end bush/bearing. You need to do this so that you can control and guide the armature back into the motor body without disturbing the end cap. The magnets inside the motor body will try to pull the armature away and you risk the brushes being dislodged from the commutator during reassembly.
  8. Slide the armature into the motor. Make sure the washers are in position. Clip the end cap back into the motor end.
  9. Apply some machine oil to the armature axles either end of the motor.
  10. Test the motor before refitting it to the base. it should spin up freely.
  11. Refit the motor and all other parts.
Old 07-20-2018, 07:22 AM

Nice write up....as I said above, do this before the seat is dead from a bad motor...almost impossible to do once seat is stuck in one position. Do a few searches on MB forum 208 and AMG, this has been discussed many times.Annapolis sells new motor $130
Old 07-20-2018, 02:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 166 Likes on 137 Posts
2019 Jeep Trackhawk, 2002 CLK55, 2014 911 Carrera
Do the memory buttons work? My passenger seat would only move properly when I used the memory buttons. Using the forward <-> backward button would only move the seat forward, even when pushing the button backward! Eventually the seat got so far forward that nobody could sit in it. Then I tried using a memory button to return it to a stored position, and it worked!

I eventually got it working again properly after playing around with the (unrelated) door and window settings in STAR. Still not sure how or why it fixed itself, but that may be something worth trying.
The following users liked this post:
GatorMB (07-21-2018)
Old 07-20-2018, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by JoeJErnst
Do the memory buttons work? My passenger seat would only move properly when I used the memory buttons. Using the forward <-> backward button would only move the seat forward, even when pushing the button backward! Eventually the seat got so far forward that nobody could sit in it. Then I tried using a memory button to return it to a stored position, and it worked!

I eventually got it working again properly after playing around with the (unrelated) door and window settings in STAR. Still not sure how or why it fixed itself, but that may be something worth trying.

It sounds like you have to set the limits for the seat....move all way forward and hold button for 5 seconds....does it move at all iback? Use the buttons to get it back as far as memory allows. Then hold the back for 5 seconds...see if you can move it forward and back using buttons after that has been done. If that works, use back button a little at a time until you get it all the way back...hold 5 seconds.

The moon roof and windows basically work the same way (limits set)
The following users liked this post:
GatorMB (07-21-2018)
Old 07-24-2018, 04:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
clk55
same symptoms

Originally Posted by JoeJErnst

I have the same symptoms and workaround memory function. If you ever recall your STAR manipulations or starting points, please share it here.
Old 04-07-2024, 09:08 PM

1999 mercedes benz clk320
Driver seat stuck

Any tips you guys can give me for the driver seat, it’s stuck In forward position after letting the back passenger in. Able to recline back and forth but that’s it