CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

Gauging interest in custom exhaust manifolds

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-01-2019, 08:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 167 Likes on 137 Posts
2019 Jeep Trackhawk, 2002 CLK55, 2014 911 Carrera
Gauging interest in custom exhaust manifolds

This is for a W208 chassis CLK55.

As you probably know, the factory exhaust manifolds are very restrictive, but building a set of proper long-tubes is very difficult for this car because space is tight around the steering box and the exhaust crosses over to the passenger side under the transmission.

I am talking to Stainless Steel Headers Mfg., Inc about building a set of custom log-style manifolds based on their turbo headers that would follow the factory routing, but have larger diameter piping and flow much better. I'm thinking the setup would be a pair of the manifolds with V-band connections to a pair of custom downpipes that also follow the factory routing and end at the resonator. In theory, it would be a bolt-in solution from the heads to the resonator and would also remove all four cats.

The manifolds would look something like this:

If three or more people are interested, and commit to the purchase, the cost can be dropped significantly. I don't know enough to give a firm price yet, but it sounds like we could get this setup for $2000 or less.

Who's interested, and at what price point would you be willing to commit?

Old 10-03-2019, 07:34 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
W204 C63 AMG M157 Swap, W212 E63 AMG Biturbo, W215 CL65 AMG, W204 C63 AMG SC, W219 CLS55 Brabus, W21
Originally Posted by JoeJErnst
This is for a W208 chassis CLK55.

As you probably know, the factory exhaust manifolds are very restrictive, but building a set of proper long-tubes is very difficult for this car because space is tight around the steering box and the exhaust crosses over to the passenger side under the transmission.

I am talking to Stainless Steel Headers Mfg., Inc about building a set of custom log-style manifolds based on their turbo headers that would follow the factory routing, but have larger diameter piping and flow much better. I'm thinking the setup would be a pair of the manifolds with V-band connections to a pair of custom downpipes that also follow the factory routing and end at the resonator. In theory, it would be a bolt-in solution from the heads to the resonator and would also remove all four cats.

The manifolds would look something like this:

If three or more people are interested, and commit to the purchase, the cost can be dropped significantly. I don't know enough to give a firm price yet, but it sounds like we could get this setup for $2000 or less.

Who's interested, and at what price point would you be willing to commit?
I would be interested depending on the price

Hiow much do you think it would cost?
Old 10-03-2019, 07:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by AMG Lover, KRK
I would be interested depending on the price

Hiow much do you think it would cost?
I think it should be less than $2000. Maybe a lot less; I'm not sure yet. I'll report back here after I've talked more with the builder.
Old 10-04-2019, 12:12 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
BMW's and my AMG
Like the idea of the v-bands for obvious reasons. My question is, if you are going through this much R&D, the price is going to be somewhere in the area of $1500 and they are a log style setup, why not just go with the MBH or whoever else has shorty headers?

I'm not trying to bash your idea just curious. I am trying to keep my M113 stock so because I have other projects but that doesn't suit my personality. Yeah, Kleemans would be nice but we all know what that means. I have a set of headers for a S62 to buy so Supersprint/Evolve may already have my exhaust money for now.

I'm in for the details.
Old 10-04-2019, 01:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

As far as I can tell, the only "headers" available for the 208 chassis are the cheap-o OBX units. They may be a little better than stock, but their quality isn't what I'm looking for, and I think there's room for improvement.
Old 10-04-2019, 01:25 PM

BMW's and my AMG
Originally Posted by JoeJErnst
As far as I can tell, the only "headers" available for the 208 chassis are the cheap-o OBX units. They may be a little better than stock, but their quality isn't what I'm looking for, and I think there's room for improvement.
I gotcha. I have "looked" just a bit but not a ton. As soon as I couldn't find long tubes, I kind of gave up. The juice needs to be worth the squeeze for me.
Old 10-23-2019, 07:19 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2001 clk 55 amg
I need long tubes. It's all I've been thinking about. Connecticut registered car no emissions after 20 years old full straight pipes why not?
Old 10-23-2019, 07:48 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
W204 C63 AMG M157 Swap, W212 E63 AMG Biturbo, W215 CL65 AMG, W204 C63 AMG SC, W219 CLS55 Brabus, W21
Originally Posted by quik55
I need long tubes. It's all I've been thinking about. Connecticut registered car no emissions after 20 years old full straight pipes why not?
I do agree totally, I need long tube to my 2001 CLK55 M113K swapped engine.

Regards
Old 10-23-2019, 08:15 PM

BMW's and my AMG
I agree with the long tube but but straight pipes, I want to keep a bit of class. After all, it is a Mercedes.

If I had the time, I’d love to get a header kit template from “ice” and mock up a set. Problem is, I don’t have the time and I bought my CLK55 for daily purposes. I told myself I would t go too far with it. We shall see.