CLK63 Black Series Forum & Registry Information and discussion on the W209 CLK63 AMG Black Series and Registry for all owners.

PLY CAR SHIPPING DAMAGE

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 08:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clk 63 AMG BS
PLY CAR SHIPPING DAMAGE

So guys I want to take your opinion. I bought my car from Ferrari of Seattle. I had my rare Mercedes Benz CLK 63 AMG black series with 728 miles shipped via ply cars, (which was shipped via ferrari of seattle, their preferred shipper) every thing was fine , except they damaged the RR wheel and the tire. The damage on the wheel is small and tire is ripped on the side and i paid premium for this car with low miles.

Ply cars wants to refinish the wheel and replace the tire. I want a new wheel , is that being unreasonable.

Ply car quote "Plycar reserves the right to have first right to repair.
As long as we return the wheel to original specifications.
The wheel will not need to be replaced."
ferrari of seattle has pretty much washed their hands of this,

please advise

thanks
Ronnie
Attached Thumbnails PLY CAR SHIPPING DAMAGE-content-__media_external_images_media_197-1-.jpg   PLY CAR SHIPPING DAMAGE-content-__media_external_images_media_200-1-.jpg  

Last edited by gestut; 09-09-2011 at 08:41 PM. Reason: added pics
Old 09-09-2011, 10:09 PM
JDB

CLK63 Black Series
Tough call.

I can understand how you feel.

No matter how good the repair is, you will know that it has been damaged. Plus, there is also the issue about whether the damage caused some structural problems with the wheel that aren't evident with just a visual inspection.

I think that I would press for a new wheel.

If the shipping company refuses to pay for a new wheel, then I would take the repair money as a down payment on a new replacement wheel.

JDB
Old 09-09-2011, 10:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
88-300CE TWIN TURBO, 99-C43, 05-G55K, 71-280SL, 94-E320 CAB, 08 CLK63 BLACK SERIES
Hopefully you had your own insurance in place as soon as you purchased the car.
"Plycar reserves the right to have first right to repair." is not really binding against you as it is their policy not law.

No different then when someone causes collision damage to your car...the other insurance company will always try to do as cheap as possible.
That's why you need to file a claim with your insurance company if you feel there is damage that requires a new wheel and tire.
Even if it's within your deductible, your insurer will fight Plycar's insurer to get your deductible back...

The damage on your wheel is really minimal and can easily be repaired to original condition by a competent wheel refinisher.
Dealers do it all the time on new delivery cars when there is transportation damage.

Last edited by RBYCC; 09-09-2011 at 10:57 PM.
Old 09-09-2011, 11:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Huracan. S63. CL63. E55.
That is a high polished aluminum. I say have them repair it, inspect it (because it wont be perfect), then demand a new wheel and tire. It requires jumping through a few hoops but will be the best way to get a new wheel rather than just demanding up front.
Old 09-09-2011, 11:48 PM

10 Cayenne GTS, 07 Porsche 911 Turbo
I think it's a reasonable settlement. If you don't like the repair then you should demand a replacement, but I don't think you'll get very far with that either. The BS is a drivers car not a museum piece and it's time some of the newer members on this site understood that.
Old 09-10-2011, 01:57 PM
PJK

CLK63BS
While I understand you're upset (and rightfully so), I honestly I think you're being a bit unreasonable. If the wheel is repaired properly, you won't be able to tell it was ever damaged, and it should be just as strong. Assuming it is fixed properly, what is your complaint?

If it isn't fixed properly, then you can demand that they either fix it again or demand a new one.

If it is fixed properly, and it still bothers you, then you can sell it to me cheaply (since it isn't any good), and take that money and buy a new one

I think you're best bet, if you really want a new one, is to make it clear to them that if the wheel isn't perfect after they fix it, then you're going to make them repair it again or demand a new one. That way, they know exactly what the situation from your perspective. Otherwise, I HIGHLY doubt they will replace the wheel.

Sorry to hear that it got damaged. At least it is the wheel, which is easily replaced or repaired (unlike, say, the bodywork or motor).
Old 09-10-2011, 02:37 PM

C63, CLS550, CLK BS, Sprinter Passenger Van, Odyssey

Originally Posted by RBYCC
Hopefully you had your own insurance in place as soon as you purchased the car.
"Plycar reserves the right to have first right to repair." is not really binding against you as it is their policy not law.

No different then when someone causes collision damage to your car...the other insurance company will always try to do as cheap as possible.
That's why you need to file a claim with your insurance company if you feel there is damage that requires a new wheel and tire.
Even if it's within your deductible, your insurer will fight Plycar's insurer to get your deductible back...

The damage on your wheel is really minimal and can easily be repaired to original condition by a competent wheel refinisher.
Dealers do it all the time on new delivery cars when there is transportation damage.
If you want full satisfaction, report it to BBB.com.
Old 09-10-2011, 02:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
06 Carrera4
Originally Posted by GuppyC63

If you want full satisfaction, report it to BBB.com.
BBB is a joke. I have filed complaints and the only thing I ever got was no answer from the dealer case closed.

I think other members are correct. It will be hard to get a new wheel. Repair it and make sure they know it has to be perfect or you will ask for a new wheel and take it through your insurance who has better pushing power.
All in all a small thing to worry about now that you have such a monster. Enjoy driving it. Don't let it stand in the garage.
Old 09-10-2011, 03:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 68 Likes on 44 Posts
C63 507 AMG DA Car #19
Easy repair.
Old 09-10-2011, 03:18 PM

'12 CLS63, CLK63 BS (sold), '04 Maz Cpe (gone), '07 ML (gone), 08 SLK55 AMG (hers)
THANK YOU... 24k miles on my BS!
Old 09-10-2011, 05:29 PM

CLK 63 AMG Black
I think I would accept the repair, with the proviso that it has to appear "as new". I am one of the guys who drives my cars, and I am always ready for the first ding. If you ever intend to track the car, you also have to be willing to accept that it can't be perfect, or you make yourself completely nuts.
As far as I can tell, there are several different variants of "stock" wheels, so it is very possible that you wouldn't have a match, even if they relented. Enjoy the car, and hopefully, this will be the worst you experience. AS
Old 09-11-2011, 12:37 AM

clk 63 AMG BS
thanks guys for all your feed back....
Old 09-11-2011, 08:18 AM
PJK

CLK63BS
Originally Posted by gestut
thanks guys for all your feed back....
I hope my reply didn't come across as flip.

Good luck and enjoy!
Old 09-11-2011, 12:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
That is just a small little mark but my fear would be the clear coat issue, they are going to have to strip and re-clear the entire wheel and they will never get it the same quality as factory, you will most likely experience bubbling or lifting of the clear in a year or two, clearing bare aluminum is more difficult than you would think. I would ask for a 2-3 year warranty on the work, if they don't agree demand a new wheel.
Old 09-11-2011, 12:54 PM

clk 63 AMG BS
Originally Posted by jrcart
That is just a small little mark but my fear would be the clear coat issue, they are going to have to strip and re-clear the entire wheel and they will never get it the same quality as factory, you will most likely experience bubbling or lifting of the clear in a year or two, clearing bare aluminum is more difficult than you would think. I would ask for a 2-3 year warranty on the work, if they don't agree demand a new wheel.
that was my thoughts, it will never be the same, is my concern, and i know it wont be like the factory, hence the request for the new wheel up front instead of going thru the aggravation, hey they are fine car transporters. regardless, i will hav to check i dont want the wheel stripped , just little touched up some how, at this point, i want this over with and get my money from them for a new tire and the wheel fix,,, its just frustrating that these guys consider them exotic car transporters, and like other people said go the cheap route to fix it.....
Old 09-11-2011, 01:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

that was my thoughts, it will never be the same, is my concern, and i know it wont be like the factory, hence the request for the new wheel up front instead of going thru the aggravation, hey they are fine car transporters. regardless, i will hav to check i dont want the wheel stripped , just little touched up some how, at this point, i want this over with and get my money from them for a new tire and the wheel fix,,, its just frustrating that these guys consider them exotic car transporters, and like other people said go the cheap route to fix it.....
There is no way to just touch up the area of the damage, the clear will definetly not adhere to a small area, you will get lifting of the old clear around the repaired area, the correct way to do it is to strip and clear the entire wheel. Wheel clear coat will begin to lift even if its just scratched or lightly damaged. Wheels are subjected to lots of heat and that's what makes it worse. Good luck.
Old 09-12-2011, 10:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2015.5 Volvo V60 Polestar
Originally Posted by jrcart
My thoughts exactly!

But I'd skip out on them repairing, get a new wheel. My sister had a refurbished wheel replacement when some high schooler hit her. 2 years later the wheel looked horrible, the refinish started to wear. Luckily, the wheel had a lifetime warranty so it was replaced free of charge. Still a hassle, and this a shop I trust. Do not know if you go back to this shipper if they would help you.

I don't think you are being unreasonable at all. You just paid buco bucks for this car in cherry condition, not in cherry condition with a refurbished wheel.

My.02
Old 09-12-2011, 04:05 PM

clk 63 AMG BS
some people here on the forum think I being unreasonable. except for couple. ply car says they have the right to fix it first, haha, but i dont want it fixed in the first place, every body says it will be as good as new, ya i have heard that before.. i have no choice but accept the offer for the wheel fix and a tire. may be i will leave the little mark alone, not sure at this point, i would hate get the whole rim redone..... and not match the others

Originally Posted by Nachtsturm
My thoughts exactly!

But I'd skip out on them repairing, get a new wheel. My sister had a refurbished wheel replacement when some high schooler hit her. 2 years later the wheel looked horrible, the refinish started to wear. Luckily, the wheel had a lifetime warranty so it was replaced free of charge. Still a hassle, and this a shop I trust. Do not know if you go back to this shipper if they would help you.

I don't think you are being unreasonable at all. You just paid buco bucks for this car in cherry condition, not in cherry condition with a refurbished wheel.

My.02
Old 09-12-2011, 06:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

You are not being unreasonable, it is a very small mark that most people will never notice but if the clear coat has been compromised its going to bubble and lift, its not a matter if if but when. have the warranty the work for 3 plus years and you should be safe.
Old 09-12-2011, 09:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 MB CLK Black Series
You can't refinish these wheels, I've tried or shall I said MB dealer tried and ended up having to repalce with a new one.
Todd
Old 09-12-2011, 10:48 PM

clk 63 AMG BS
hmm why is that, not even a competent wheel repair shop?

Originally Posted by toddturbos
You can't refinish these wheels, I've tried or shall I said MB dealer tried and ended up having to repalce with a new one.
Todd
Old 09-13-2011, 10:29 AM

'10 Panamera S, '06 AMG CLS55, '07 Miata MX5, '02 MB SPRINTER, '99 Spec Miata Race Car (2X)
I had two polished AMG wheels repaired by my insurer two years back. The clear coat started lifting on the polished dish within 3 months (was still good on the painted spokes) and I demanded new wheels. They sent out an inspector and they took it on the chin and replaced the wheels. Good luck with your situation.
Old 09-13-2011, 10:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2001 E55 - 2008 CLS63 -2016 F-150
at this point you might as well let them fix it and then when you get it back say its still isnt ok .. as their policy is to try repair before replacing . whoever thinks that your being unreasonable should go buy a bs have it delivered then notice something that wasnt on there before they bought it . Cant imagine if I was in your shoes . Would have mailed the shipping company some legal forms sayin im suing ur @$$ if you dont replace my wheel ..

but I honestly think your better off sourcing a wheel maybe even a used like new condition one but I can imagine it be hard to find just one anyhow
Old 09-13-2011, 11:14 AM

2010 E550 Coupe Arctic White P2 Appearance
Smile

have the wheel repaired, that is minor cosmetic damage, but i would definately replace the tire.
Old 12-15-2011, 06:11 PM

2001 Nissan
So guys I want to take your opinion. I bought my car from Ferrari of Seattle. I had my rare Mercedes Benz CLK 63 AMG black series with 728 miles shipped via ply cars, (which was shipped via ferrari of seattle, their preferred shipper) every thing was fine , except they damaged the RR wheel and the tire. The damage on the wheel is small and tire is ripped on the side and i paid premium for this car with low miles.

Ply cars wants to refinish the wheel and replace the tire. I want a new wheel , is that being unreasonable.

Ply car quote "Plycar reserves the right to have first right to repair.
As long as we return the wheel to original specifications.
The wheel will not need to be replaced."
ferrari of seattle has pretty much washed their hands of this,

please advise

thanks
Ronnie
It is very bad. Everyone should have knowledge that what to do before shipping vehicle. It is necessary for satisfactory because mostly companies do not accept any claim of damage in any part of your car during shipping. You should make sure that everything is fine before shipping and get an agreement about car shipping safely.

Houston Auto Transport

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: PLY CAR SHIPPING DAMAGE