CLK63 Black Series Forum & Registry Information and discussion on the W209 CLK63 AMG Black Series and Registry for all owners.

Is color & documentation worth more than mileage?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 09:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 124 Likes on 43 Posts
'94 NSX,'99 NSX Z,'12 C63 Black Series (Prior: '07 E63, '08 CLK63 Black Series,'14 E63-S & 16 C63-S)
Is color & documentation worth more than mileage?

Hello everyone! I have a question, as I am mentally stuck on something, and I have to decide this by first thing in the morning. I am looking at a white CLK63 Black Series that is a 1-owner car, all records, clean CarFax, with 54k miles (which is my first choice because of color, not mileage). It is actually getting a PPI done today, and will be done tomorrow. Where I am concerned is that I don't know if my emotions are overwhelming my head, as I can also get a 29k mile black one for $2k more, or there was a Mars Red one that I saw with HRE wheels that was for sale for within $1,500 of the white one (I am just not a fan of red)....I think it had around 16k miles.

As a closer milage reference there are two black ones relatively close to me for actually $3k - $4k LESS money and they have mileage within a few thousand of the white one. The white car has more documentation by far, but I am genuinely confused. Any help or input? I just don't want to bury myself in a car by grossly overpaying.

Thank you!
Old 06-26-2014, 06:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series; 1978 Toyota Land Cruiser; 2015 BMW R1200GSA; 2003 Porsche 996 Turbo (gone)
Originally Posted by Meeyatch1
Hello everyone! I have a question, as I am mentally stuck on something, and I have to decide this by first thing in the morning. I am looking at a white CLK63 Black Series that is a 1-owner car, all records, clean CarFax, with 54k miles (which is my first choice because of color, not mileage). It is actually getting a PPI done today, and will be done tomorrow. Where I am concerned is that I don't know if my emotions are overwhelming my head, as I can also get a 29k mile black one for $2k more, or there was a Mars Red one that I saw with HRE wheels that was for sale for within $1,500 of the white one (I am just not a fan of red)....I think it had around 16k miles.

As a closer milage reference there are two black ones relatively close to me for actually $3k - $4k LESS money and they have mileage within a few thousand of the white one. The white car has more documentation by far, but I am genuinely confused. Any help or input? I just don't want to bury myself in a car by grossly overpaying.

Thank you!
Gotta scratch your own itch on this one...what's right for you? For me, while color was a consideration, it was all about proper service, mileage, condition and price in that order. Ended up with a black one...lowest on my color choice list...but know I purchased the right car that's going to give me years of trouble free miles. As for mileage, depend on whether you flip your cars every year or two, or you're the type to drive it to the wheels come off. For the former, I'd clearly take the higher mileage car with documentation. If you're going to hold on to it, I'd bump low mileage up my priority list. You've probably surmised from my comments above, that I plan on holding on to mine for some time. Had 5,500 mi on it when purchased and I'm on about a 7K/year pace. The car was over maintained, no track time, with some slight cosmetic issues on the paint (mainly stone chips on rear fender flares which these cars are known for). Figure out how long you're going to hold on to it, how many miles a year you're planning on driving and what you're tolerance is for unplanned maintenance...think you'll find your priorities fall into place.

Now quit wringing your hands and write that check!
Old 06-26-2014, 02:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
White and red are the two rarest colors. They seem to fetch a slight premium on the resale market. While 54K miles is nothing for one of these motors, it is one of the higher mile BS's I have seen on the market. You should pay less for the higher mile car regardless of color. As far as values go the miles will trump the color...at least it would for me.
Old 06-26-2014, 04:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'94 NSX,'99 NSX Z,'12 C63 Black Series (Prior: '07 E63, '08 CLK63 Black Series,'14 E63-S & 16 C63-S)
Thanks, guys. I am going back and forth with the dealership on this right now. I really do not like dealing with dealerships. It is like 'No Mans Land' for logic.
Old 06-26-2014, 06:52 PM

CLK63 Black Series
Thanks, guys. I am going back and forth with the dealership on this right now. I really do not like dealing with dealerships. It is like 'No Mans Land' for logic.
Is the white car you referenced the one you mentioned in another thread for $55k ? I'd say that isn't the best deal. And if you can get a red one with HRE's for close to that I'd go for the red which is a much more desirable color.
Old 06-26-2014, 07:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by PaulWdz
Is the white car you referenced the one you mentioned in another thread for $55k ? I'd say that isn't the best deal. And if you can get a red one with HRE's for close to that I'd go for the red which is a much more desirable color.
Yes...that is the same white one. I agree, the red one is the better deal. It is just a matter of getting past the not wanting a red car part. Although, I have considered the option of just wrapping it in a different color.
Old 06-26-2014, 10:51 PM

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts
CLK63 BS
Where's the red one?
Old 06-27-2014, 11:13 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
Can you tell us where the red one is? I'm interested in it.
Old 06-30-2014, 01:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yes...that is the same white one. I agree, the red one is the better deal. It is just a matter of getting past the not wanting a red car part. Although, I have considered the option of just wrapping it in a different color.
The car is absolutely stunning in Mars Red. I have only seen two of them in person, they are that rare. The Mars Red CLK BS is what prompted me to go for Mars Red on my SLS BS.
Old 07-02-2014, 02:39 PM

997.2 GT3
I am looking at a white CLK63 Black Series that is a 1-owner car, all records, clean CarFax, with 54k miles (which is my first choice because of color, not mileage). It is actually getting a PPI done today, and will be done tomorrow.
Did the PPI check out? If you buy it, I'd be curious what you end up paying.
Old 07-02-2014, 06:42 PM

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts
CLK63 BS
+1.

Originally Posted by Point2Point
Old 07-06-2014, 12:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 86 Likes on 58 Posts
'22 G 63 AMG, '21 GLE 53 AMG, '20 NSX
Originally Posted by jrcart
The car is absolutely stunning in Mars Red. I have only seen two of them in person, they are that rare. The Mars Red CLK BS is what prompted me to go for Mars Red on my SLS BS.
Agree, keeping mine, I think this is one you've seen .
Old 07-12-2014, 10:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Jim Brady
Agree, keeping mine, I think this is one you've seen .
Yes, yours is the first one I ever saw in red, gorgeous car. I also saw one out on the east coast at an event. One on the left coast and one on the right, it's safe to say you are probably never going to have another red one pull up next to you at a stop light.
Old 07-12-2014, 11:53 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
AMG
my advice - buy the one located nearest to you that you can put your OWN eyes on and drive before you buy. Buying an AMG, used, site unseen isn't ideal but can be done. There are probably lots of stories where it has gone either way...and as always write down your spec and look for YOUR car versus making compromises to save a few $$$s. If that means getting on a plane for the day to go see it so be it, and don't forget transportation costs can add up (for covered x-country trips)
Old 07-18-2014, 09:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Point2Point
Sorry for the delay...work obligations have kept me busy.

No, the PPI did not check out (despite their 'guarantee' that the car was 'perfect...no issues'). The car had two front control arms that were cracked and needed replaced, and some other items. I had made a deal over the phone with the dealership to fix the issues if I paid a certain price for the car. They agreed over the phone, and then pressured me to send them a non-refundable deposit of $5,000 to hold the car. I said, 'Sure...but first you put this in writing, and then I will send it,' and then the waffling began. She would not put it in writing, and then said for me to do it, and she would reply to it that the deal was done under those terms. I figured that would be easy, so I agreed, and she pressured me again for the deposit, so I said, 'You reply to me first that we have a deal on the repairs and pricing, and then I will do it'. Needless to say...she never replied to the email agreeing to the terms from our phone call, and I only heard from her about a week later on the phone giving some lame excuses. So no luck.
Old 07-19-2014, 05:15 AM

Received 108 Likes on 80 Posts
'12 C63BS "SlickTop", '08 CLK63BS, '16 E63S wagon, '12 CLS63, amongst other non-Merc toys
Sorry for the delay...work obligations have kept me busy.

No, the PPI did not check out (despite their 'guarantee' that the car was 'perfect...no issues'). The car had two front control arms that were cracked and needed replaced, and some other items. I had made a deal over the phone with the dealership to fix the issues if I paid a certain price for the car. They agreed over the phone, and then pressured me to send them a non-refundable deposit of $5,000 to hold the car. I said, 'Sure...but first you put this in writing, and then I will send it,' and then the waffling began. She would not put it in writing, and then said for me to do it, and she would reply to it that the deal was done under those terms. I figured that would be easy, so I agreed, and she pressured me again for the deposit, so I said, 'You reply to me first that we have a deal on the repairs and pricing, and then I will do it'. Needless to say...she never replied to the email agreeing to the terms from our phone call, and I only heard from her about a week later on the phone giving some lame excuses. So no luck.
Wow, that's so wack, both the dealer and this particular car should be black listed to any prospects out there shopping, buyers beware!
Old 07-20-2014, 07:54 AM

2008 CLK63 Black Series; 1978 Toyota Land Cruiser; 2015 BMW R1200GSA; 2003 Porsche 996 Turbo (gone)
Slimey dealer with questionable business practices...border-lining on fraud.
Old 07-26-2014, 06:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 140 Likes on 107 Posts
ML350
I miss mine. Never saw another red one, but plenty of silver and black ones. Was reminiscing and decided to read the forum again to see how the BS compares to new stuff. I think there's a red one on ebay for $92k.
Old 07-30-2014, 12:27 AM

997.2 GT3
I hope that dealer doesn't offload the car onto some poor sap. Truly buyer beware.