CLK63 Black Series Forum & Registry Information and discussion on the W209 CLK63 AMG Black Series and Registry for all owners.

Resonator Delete

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-18-2014, 01:07 PM

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
2006 C55, 2008 CLK63 Black
Resonator Delete

I was planning on a resonator delete for my CLK Black. I was wondering from those who have done this, how much of an improvement removal of the resonator had on the exhaust note of the CLK63 Black Series? What was your overall impression of this upgrade? How much did it cost? Is the car noticeably louder than before? Anything I need to be concerned with?

Thanks for your thoughts!
Old 07-18-2014, 07:00 PM
1AS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK 63 BS
Is there anyone who thinks our cars need to sound better? Is three any other car that does sound better?
Old 07-18-2014, 07:03 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
CLK63 AMG Black Series
im also curious to a resonator/secondary cat delete on the BS.

i did the secondary cat delete on my old C63 and it was probably one of my favorite mods. worth doing on the BS?
Old 07-18-2014, 07:24 PM

Yes, I agree our cars exhaust note is very nice. I just want to amplify it more . I just came back from a local reputable muffler shop. He said he would be able to delete the resonator (and replace it with a straight pipe) for $120; one thing however, is that once we remove the resonator, based on his cut pattern, it would not be possible to put it back on; hence, he recommended that I remove the entire catback system and put a new on vice cutting the existing pipes.

Also, he wouldn't perform a secondary cat delete since it was "illegal" to do so and that the car's electronic systems would get negatively affected.
Old 07-18-2014, 08:10 PM

2008 CLK63 BS
I removed the 2nd cats and resonators on my CLK BS and installed a X-Pipe. Sounds way better when driving. I just wish it was louder at idle and low speed, still can barely here the car when idling. I might make a custom exhaust, but plan on waiting until the headers are on first.

BTW, no drone or anything objectionable with the elimination of rear cats/resonators.

Mike
Old 07-19-2014, 05:12 AM

Received 115 Likes on 87 Posts
'12 C63BS "SlickTop", '08 CLK63BS, '16 E63S wagon, '12 CLS63, amongst other non-Merc toys
smh...
Old 07-19-2014, 11:14 AM

Thanks for the informative post. I'll look around and see if I can go to a shop that will allow re-usability of the resonator in case the exhaust note changes significantly.

There are videos out there for the CLK Black for secondary cat and resonator deletes; however, I have not been able to find a video for just a resonator delete. My main concern being loosing the existing characteristic note of the exhaust.

Maybe once I do do it, I'll post a video online for reference for someone else!
Old 07-29-2014, 07:36 PM

CLK63 Resonator Delete.

Originally Posted by EUROTOYS
I removed the 2nd cats and resonators on my CLK BS and installed a X-Pipe. Sounds way better when driving. I just wish it was louder at idle and low speed, still can barely here the car when idling. I might make a custom exhaust, but plan on waiting until the headers are on first.

BTW, no drone or anything objectionable with the elimination of rear cats/resonators.

Mike
Mike,

I am actually considering doing both the resonator and cat delete. I could only find a shop (3 hours away) that would do a secondary cat delete; they quoted me $300 to do both. However, they only have aluminum piping. Any thoughts on using aluminum vice stainless steel?

Also, were you able to test the first resonator removal prior to the secondary cat delete to see any sound differences? Also, is the car exhaust note the same but noticeably louder now? I watched the short video from a previous forum member but it was only during hard acceleration. Curious to know how it is from a daily driver standpoint.

Thanks.

Neel

Last edited by souljas_1; 07-29-2014 at 07:39 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Gene Gorman (09-12-2020)
Old 07-29-2014, 09:11 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
CLK63 AMG Black Series
i think im going to do the secondary cat delete. will record videos once completed.
Old 07-30-2014, 12:15 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 MB CLK Black Series
Here is a video I took with Renntech sound pipes and secondary cats delete

Old 07-30-2014, 01:09 AM

2008 CLK63 BS
Originally Posted by souljas_1
Mike,

I am actually considering doing both the resonator and cat delete. I could only find a shop (3 hours away) that would do a secondary cat delete; they quoted me $300 to do both. However, they only have aluminum piping. Any thoughts on using aluminum vice stainless steel?

Also, were you able to test the first resonator removal prior to the secondary cat delete to see any sound differences? Also, is the car exhaust note the same but noticeably louder now? I watched the short video from a previous forum member but it was only during hard acceleration. Curious to know how it is from a daily driver standpoint.

Thanks.

Neel
I did not remove resonators, or cats first, did both at the same time. I have learned with my customers that exhaust sound is very subjective. Most people will not know 100% until they hear it for themselves. I knew it would not be loud enough for me and evidently not objectionable since my wife did not complain (she is very good at that!).

My exhaust mod sounds pretty much like toddturbos video, although I think his video reflects the sound a little louder than actual (maybe because it is in a garage?). My car is throaty while driving, but definitely not loud.

I would never do an exhaust out of aluminum, aluminum tubing is for air intakes, or intercooler piping IMO.

BTW, I used this universal piece, but I cut the rear legs, re-welded to narrow the spacing. I probably spent about 3 hours on it.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/pye-xvf13/overview/

Mike
Old 07-30-2014, 12:13 PM

Great, thanks for the response guys! Car sounds sick! Sorry, what I meant to say was aluminized steel piping.

I was planning on doing straight pipes for both the secondary cats and resonator.

For reference, here are also several other CLK63 specific threads on this topic. The secondary cats were deleted and the stock resonators were left in place:

https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...at-delete.html

The secondary cats and the resonators were deleted:

https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...resonator.html