CLK63 Black Series Forum & Registry Information and discussion on the W209 CLK63 AMG Black Series and Registry for all owners.

Transmission Service

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-08-2015, 12:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 86 Likes on 58 Posts
'22 G 63 AMG, '21 GLE 53 AMG, '20 NSX
Transmission Service

My second most recent track day I noted my transmission was slow to up shift. I have 22k miles with a fair number of track days. I also upgraded to the rev matching program from Weistec but didn't think would that would cause the slow shifting. I checked with my tech at the dealer and he tells me trans fluid change isn't necessary before 40K!

After watching an episode of Wheeler Dealer I saw Edd China (best tech ever) bring a Boxster tiptronic back to life with a complete trans service. Since the tiptronic is a Mercedes sources automatic I thought some of the same dna might carry over.

Long story short had the trans fluid and filter changed and went out last week end and the car performed as good as new. The rev matching even improved on the downshifts.
Just wanted to pass on the information, seem that if your tracking the car you might want to up the service intervals.

Jimmy
The following users liked this post:
GatorMB (03-11-2016)
Old 10-09-2015, 08:52 AM
PJK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK63BS
I just had mine changed yesterday and should be picking it up tomorrow. I'll let you know if I notice anything differently.
Old 10-10-2015, 01:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
None for now
722.9 transmission should be serviced every 6 years or 39K
Old 10-10-2015, 01:40 AM

Received 107 Likes on 79 Posts
'12 C63BS "SlickTop", '08 CLK63BS, '16 E63S wagon, '12 CLS63, amongst other non-Merc toys
wow that's great news, thinking about just changing my trans fluids now; because if its the mileage that has to do with the scheduled change, then for sure mine has not been done that ever since the initial delivery, and I don't even know how much longer it'll reach 40k miles... Shoot I don't even know when it'll hit 20k either LOL

now with the Weistec blip shift, haven't done that yet, debating if I should change the fluid prior or after that.

Hmmmm
Old 10-10-2015, 01:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
None for now
If you go to a dealer to do it, make sure you INSIST on them draining the torque converter. You will know if they did by how much fluid they charge you for. If it's 9-10 qts, they did. If it's 6-7, they didn't.
Old 10-11-2015, 10:54 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
E46 M3, E92 M3, CLK63 BS
Good info
Old 10-12-2015, 11:11 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
CLK BS
Originally Posted by Jim Brady
My second most recent track day I noted my transmission was slow to up shift. I have 22k miles with a fair number of track days. I also upgraded to the rev matching program from Weistec but didn't think would that would cause the slow shifting. I checked with my tech at the dealer and he tells me trans fluid change isn't necessary before 40K!

After watching an episode of Wheeler Dealer I saw Edd China (best tech ever) bring a Boxster tiptronic back to life with a complete trans service. Since the tiptronic is a Mercedes sources automatic I thought some of the same dna might carry over.

Long story short had the trans fluid and filter changed and went out last week end and the car performed as good as new. The rev matching even improved on the downshifts.
Just wanted to pass on the information, seem that if your tracking the car you might want to up the service intervals.

Jimmy
Hi Jimmy,

Great info, as always. Just curious, did you do both rev-match and valve body upgrade? Because when I did that the transmission fluids must be flushed (have to open up the trans). So my fluids were automatically replaced.

On a separate note, how do you find the OEM brakes on the BS? I just came back from VIR and the brake was getting a bit soft towards the end. I know you track a lot more, just want to get your thoughts on it. THx.
Old 10-13-2015, 02:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 86 Likes on 58 Posts
'22 G 63 AMG, '21 GLE 53 AMG, '20 NSX
Originally Posted by GeoGeo
Hi Jimmy,

Great info, as always. Just curious, did you do both rev-match and valve body upgrade? Because when I did that the transmission fluids must be flushed (have to open up the trans). So my fluids were automatically replaced.

On a separate note, how do you find the OEM brakes on the BS? I just came back from VIR and the brake was getting a bit soft towards the end. I know you track a lot more, just want to get your thoughts on it. THx.
GeoGeo
I didn't do the valve body hence no trans flush. I think the intervals with track use should be twice as frequent. Seems that the flush really woke up the trans.

Most of my track days is at Willow Springs which isn't too severe on brakes.
I've looked at upgrades and I've tried the Porterfields blue pads which are not has good as the stock pads. I do use Castrol SRF brake fluid which is as good as it gets so I haven't boiled the fluid. If you're looking to upgrade I'd go with active brake cooling first. I notice that the left foot brake users tend to have more complaints.

Jimmy
Old 10-13-2015, 09:56 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
CLK BS
Originally Posted by Jim Brady
GeoGeo
I didn't do the valve body hence no trans flush. I think the intervals with track use should be twice as frequent. Seems that the flush really woke up the trans.

Most of my track days is at Willow Springs which isn't too severe on brakes.
I've looked at upgrades and I've tried the Porterfields blue pads which are not has good as the stock pads. I do use Castrol SRF brake fluid which is as good as it gets so I haven't boiled the fluid. If you're looking to upgrade I'd go with active brake cooling first. I notice that the left foot brake users tend to have more complaints.

Jimmy
Cool thank you for the input Jimmy. I have Motul fluids and it seems to go soft pretty quickly....I'll certainly do Castrol next time.

BTW I do recommend the valve body upgrade (probably next time you flush the trans fluids). I think it also helps with the shift speed a little.
Old 01-11-2016, 08:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clk 63 bs
Built transmission

One of the best most I think u can do on any 63 n/a or sc is the weistec built box and the have diy self kits make a massive difference on shifting and no slippage it a totally different car now no more lazy shifts