2,500 miles and 1st MAJOR Problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 09:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2,500 miles and 1st MAJOR Problem

I really don't ever post but thought some might be interested. 2012 CLS 550.

I was driving yesterday when I noticed multiple error messages and the engine stalled. The messages were, (these are not exact but you get the idea) "front daytime light out" "lane assist not working" "brake light out" and about 6 others. The radio stayed on as did the Nav or head unit. It took me a minute to figure out the engine had quit as I was at a light. I was able to restart and drive 20 secs and then it would stall again. I repeated until I was able to get to a safe spot.

As you can imagine I am not happy. I have owned the car less than a month. It was a demo with 1,900 miles. Roadside did show with a tow truck in less than an hour and I was able to convince the dealer to bring us a loaner.

It had 1/3 tank of gas. So now I will just wait until Monday and see what they say. Any ideas?

Happy Fathers Day
Old 06-17-2012, 04:57 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 CLS550 4MATIC
Originally Posted by Stroud23
I really don't ever post but thought some might be interested. 2012 CLS 550.

I was driving yesterday when I noticed multiple error messages and the engine stalled. The messages were, (these are not exact but you get the idea) "front daytime light out" "lane assist not working" "brake light out" and about 6 others. The radio stayed on as did the Nav or head unit. It took me a minute to figure out the engine had quit as I was at a light. I was able to restart and drive 20 secs and then it would stall again. I repeated until I was able to get to a safe spot.

As you can imagine I am not happy. I have owned the car less than a month. It was a demo with 1,900 miles. Roadside did show with a tow truck in less than an hour and I was able to convince the dealer to bring us a loaner.

It had 1/3 tank of gas. So now I will just wait until Monday and see what they say. Any ideas?

Happy Fathers Day

I don't know much about these types of issues, but your description sounds like a sudden failure of multiple unrelated systems (lighting, engine or ancillary sensors, driving assistance systems, etc.). The only thing I've heard of that can cause something similar is rodents infiltrating the car and chewing away at hoses, wiring/wiring harnesses, etc.

Look up "rodent chewing wiring in car" or something similar on Google, and you will find several horror stories. Happened to my roommate's Prelude in college, actually.

Have you left your car unattended for a couple of days recently? Have you ever seen rats in your garage?

Sorry to hear about your problem, and I hope the fix is speedy and inexpensive! If it turns out to be a rodent infestation, I believe your car insurance will cover the repair costs. Good luck!
Old 06-18-2012, 04:52 PM

2012 cls 63 amg
I have a 2012 CLS 63 AMG, and at about 2000 miles, I too had a stall while I started to pull into the road out of a parking lot. All of the idiot lights came on too. My car has an appt at the dealer this Weds. When I called to make the appt, the service guy acted like it was a common problem that he'd heard multiple times before. He said it usually only happens once and that if it happens multiple times is the only way it is a problem. It sure seemed like a problem to me when I rolled slowly into traffic thinking that it was just my auto-start-stop function.
Old 06-18-2012, 08:21 PM

I have ruled out rodents. Don't get me wrong there are rats, mice, and other creatures around here, but not in my garage.

Dub-ya where are you located? I am in Dallas, Park Place.

I called the service guy today and he says it did not throw any error codes and they can't duplicate the problem, but they are keeping it tonight to see if they can get it to happen again. I am sure they will find nothing.

Just wish they had been in the car when it happened with my hysterical wife....."we are going to get hit from the rear"..."this can't be happening"...."why is it doing this?"............etc.
Old 06-18-2012, 08:30 PM

2012 cls 63 amg
I am located in clearwater florida.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:17 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 CLS550 4MATIC
Originally Posted by Stroud23
I have ruled out rodents. Don't get me wrong there are rats, mice, and other creatures around here, but not in my garage.

Dub-ya where are you located? I am in Dallas, Park Place.

I called the service guy today and he says it did not throw any error codes and they can't duplicate the problem, but they are keeping it tonight to see if they can get it to happen again. I am sure they will find nothing.

Just wish they had been in the car when it happened with my hysterical wife....."we are going to get hit from the rear"..."this can't be happening"...."why is it doing this?"............etc.
Just out of curiosity, how many times did you have to restart and drive 20 seconds before you got to a safe place to pull over?

The fact that the car stalled multiple times is what concerns me.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:57 PM

5-6 times. I could have not been in a worse place. On a bridge which is demolished 50% crossing IH 635. 2 lanes with no shoulders.
Old 06-18-2012, 10:34 PM

11 E550, 05 NSX, 12 QX56, 93 Z32 TT, 12 CLS550
Stroud...
That is insane. I would've been hysterical too. Please keep us posted with your findings. I hope that car was not being abused during Demo.
Old 06-19-2012, 05:43 AM

2018 GLE63S Coupe , 2012 Volvo XC60 R-Design, 2000 TRD PreRunner (heavily modded)
Almost sounds like a communication issue between the ECU and the engine. Drop in fuel pressure...Maybe a bad connector somewhere. Not sure but 20 seconds does not even sound like a limp mode, it sounds like a system glitch.

Maybe see if they can find any logged codes, they should be able to pull them.
I'm curious to see what caused this.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:31 PM

Update:
My service advisor called and said they found an error where the fuel pressure dropped and thought it might be air in the line or something similar. They could not duplicate the other problems and I was told that we shouldn't have any more problems. I went to pick it up late afternoon today.

I got in the car to drive away and noticed my head unit was off. I pressed on, but nothing happened. Then I noticed that there was no clock at top left. Pressed on again and still nothing. I stopped the car and hopped out and went back in. The SA called the Tech the Tech scratched his head. And I left in another loaner less than pleased.
Old 06-20-2012, 03:16 PM

2012 cls 63 amg
no code

Car went in for service today. It apparently didn't "throw a code" during my stall, so, they say there is nothing they can do.
dub-ya
Old 06-20-2012, 09:19 PM

Non-Update:
They know nothing. But they are working on it. They did ask about my radar detector which was not in for any of the above events. Its a V1 connected by Savvy which does plug into the OBD port. I do wonder if having the detector plugged in before, could have any effect?
Old 06-22-2012, 11:36 PM

Real Update:
Got my car back today! They claim there was a loose ground. Hope they are correct. Glad to have my car back!

Stroud
Old 10-07-2012, 08:15 PM

Was back in the dealer for dark / blank head unit again in late sept. Dealer did a reset and fixed the problem. Again they point to the V1 Savvy as the root of the problem. Everything is fine again and I will continue to use the Savvy. Just thought I would update for anyone doing a search on problems.

Stroud
Old 10-08-2012, 12:52 AM

2013 CLS250 CDI
Hi

I have had my car 10 days and my comand head unit went blank and the clock stopped 2 days ago. Was near to dealer they looked at it and said it was dead and needed a new one. Started the car later that day and it was working again. Looks like it did a reset after so much time.