Bent titanium wheel repair?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-16-2018, 05:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2016 CLS 63 AMG S
Bent titanium wheel repair?

Something has to happen to a new car, right? Today, going 60 MPH, a car in the next lane spun a 4x4 beam into my lane. No body damage, but now with a bent front rim. I have the 19" black 10 spoke titanium wheels. A search for titanium wheel repair came up with nada. Are titanium wheels repairable? If no, guess I'll go shopping....

Old 03-16-2018, 05:38 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2012 e550
Originally Posted by Dissector
Something has to happen to a new car, right? Today, going 60 MPH, a car in the next lane spun a 4x4 beam into my lane. No body damage, but now with a bent front rim. I have the 19" black 10 spoke titanium wheels. A search for titanium wheel repair came up with nada. Are titanium wheels repairable? If no, guess I'll go shopping....
Who told you those are titanium wheels? Those are aluminum wheels you can fix them anywhere you want.
Old 03-16-2018, 06:18 PM

2016 CLS 63 AMG S
The sticker says titanium. Please, all things Holy, let that be the color... Thanks!
Old 03-16-2018, 10:27 PM

2012 e550
The sticker says titanium. Please, all things Holy, let that be the color... Thanks!
YES those wheels are regular aluminum, not even forged. Titanium is just the color. To be honest I don't think they are ANY titanium wheels around. Its way too hard to shape to expensive and even heavier than aluminum. Thats why in top racing applications they used magnesium wheels. Very light and as strong as forged aluminum.
Just google any wheel repair shop with a good reputation and they should fix your wheel for around $100.
Old 03-16-2018, 10:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 764 Posts
2003 CL 600
Yeah, titanium is the color. They can be straightened by any wheel repair place.

FWIW, on a big bend like that, they may heat the wheel to get it back in shape. That repaired spot, even if not heated, will never be as strong as a new wheel. I have had to repair wheels on my personal cars before but I don't care for it if replacement with a good used one is a viable option. Wheels are too critical of a component to trust with a possible weakened part.
Old 03-16-2018, 11:09 PM

2012 e550
Repaired aluminum wheel will be as strong as original one as long as it was repaired correctly (heated). Just look for reputable shop near you and you will be fine.
Old 03-16-2018, 11:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 764 Posts
2003 CL 600
Originally Posted by scyrozyk23
Repaired aluminum wheel will be as strong as original one as long as it was repaired correctly (heated). Just look for reputable shop near you and you will be fine.
That's just simply not true. You can't bend aluminum and then bend it back without creating some weakness in the material. Will it ever cause any effect? Most likely not. But it still will be the weakest part of the wheel and more pliable or prone to cracking in future impacts.

We repair wheels all the time at the dealership though, it's never an issue. I had to weld and then straighten one of the wheels on my CL when I hit a chunk of concrete the punctured the barrel of the wheel in a 'T' shape, I welded it myself and worked with the wheel guy to get it back round, it actually balanced up better after the repair than it ever had before (miraculously, the tire was unharmed). I would still rather have a new wheel but considering my repair was free, it's working great for now.
Old 03-17-2018, 12:09 AM

2012 e550
Originally Posted by ItalianJoe1
That's just simply not true. You can't bend aluminum and then bend it back without creating some weakness in the material. Will it ever cause any effect? Most likely not. But it still will be the weakest part of the wheel and more pliable or prone to cracking in future impacts.

We repair wheels all the time at the dealership though, it's never an issue. I had to weld and then straighten one of the wheels on my CL when I hit a chunk of concrete the punctured the barrel of the wheel in a 'T' shape, I welded it myself and worked with the wheel guy to get it back round, it actually balanced up better after the repair than it ever had before (miraculously, the tire was unharmed). I would still rather have a new wheel but considering my repair was free, it's working great for now.
For automotive purposes if repaired correctly it will be as strong as original. Sure I wouldn't put it on the space shuttle because there is a small chance that crystalline structure was compromised but we talking about a wheel on a car. He will be fine.
Old 03-17-2018, 12:20 PM

2016 CLS 63 AMG S
Thumbs up Thanks!

Yes, I admit a bit sheepishly that I jumped to the conclusion they were titanium. It's the color. I dropped it off at a shop today, so I should be good to go.

I'm not worried about the wheel after being worked. I don't track it, and if it does crack in the future.....new wheels!!!
Old 03-23-2018, 06:44 PM

2016 CLS 63 AMG S
Update: 2 right wheels bent....not fixable. So the local MB shop (not the dealer), "knew a guy that knew a guy" that had 4 of the same wheels from a E63 S with 3 K miles on them that had been taken off for aftermarket wheels. The rear wheels are 9.5 x 19 rather than the CLS's 10 x 19, but the fronts are the same, and the tires are the same size. So for a cash deal, I ended up with 4 new wheels and tires. The offset is different on the rears, so I'm ordering spacers, but anyone out there need a front and/or a rear wheel?
Old 03-23-2018, 08:47 PM

2012 e550
PM me. I am interested in purchasing all 4 wheels.
Thanks.
Update: 2 right wheels bent....not fixable. So the local MB shop (not the dealer), "knew a guy that knew a guy" that had 4 of the same wheels from a E63 S with 3 K miles on them that had been taken off for aftermarket wheels. The rear wheels are 9.5 x 19 rather than the CLS's 10 x 19, but the fronts are the same, and the tires are the same size. So for a cash deal, I ended up with 4 new wheels and tires. The offset is different on the rears, so I'm ordering spacers, but anyone out there need a front and/or a rear wheel?