Heat exchanger install

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-25-2021, 11:17 AM

Received 107 Likes on 83 Posts
2015 CLS550 Shooting brake 4-matic
Heat exchanger install

Hello!

I want to install extra heat exchanger to my CLS, to help the IC cooling. That helps keeping the performance a lot on warm days. That one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/14396676497...m=143966764974

The big problem is that with my knowledge not any CLS550 have this extra heat exchanger?? So because of that it is really hard to get the right hoses and knowledge to what must do and what stuff to buy. I hope I'm wrong and some of you guys have it on our car from factory. So can everyone who reads this threat look on your cars passenger side bumper is there a heat exchanger sitting please. Its located there: https://www.amsperformance.com/cart/...anger-upgrade/ If someone have it that would be a GREAT help to us other, so anyone who really wants it in this forum can see what hoses and stuff needed when installing it.

I think our cars suffer the heat sokes a lot, so maybe many is interested about this upgrade.

Old 03-28-2021, 08:47 AM

Conclusion time. No M278 powered car doesn't have an extra IC heat exchanger on passenger side bumper or anywhere else. The SL550 and S550 does have an extra exchanger on passenger side, but it does help the engine fluid cooling system, and it is connected to the main radiator. Its called" coolant radiator" part number A2185001000.

Only AMG M157 S models have that extra IC heat exchanger (part number 0995003203) passenger side. Its called M157 + M 014 system. Even on M157 and M157 S models there are several different hoses because of that M 014 system.

M278 and M157 doesn't share the same center HE. M157 does have the connection (part number A1975000103) same side (passenger side) and M278 (part number A 0995002803) connection are on both ends.

So I think it would be a custom hoses/piping if someone will install extra heat exchanger to M278. The M 014 system is def not an bolt on solution to M278, maybe it is easy to install on M157 non S model.
Old 03-29-2021, 10:33 PM

Received 121 Likes on 109 Posts
C63 Vert
2014+ CLS 63 has one extra cooler as pictured, CLS 63S has two. 2014+ CLS 550 in US has split cooling and the extra radiator beneath the first one. Look at your radiator then follow it to the ground and you should see another one there at a slight angle. A plug and play option would be to upgrade that radiator to a bigger one from like Agency Power: https://www.vrpspeed.com/product/fmi...0-gla250-a250/
The following users liked this post:
Dblok1113 (03-29-2021)
Old 03-29-2021, 11:50 PM

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts
2014 CLS 550
Originally Posted by cls5504matic
2014+ CLS 63 has one extra cooler as pictured, CLS 63S has two. 2014+ CLS 550 in US has split cooling and the extra radiator beneath the first one. Look at your radiator then follow it to the ground and you should see another one there at a slight angle. A plug and play option would be to upgrade that radiator to a bigger one from like Agency Power: https://www.vrpspeed.com/product/fmi...0-gla250-a250/
the one in the link is for a gla/cla. So is that part plug and play for our car? If that fits my car I’m buying that right away.
Old 03-30-2021, 01:32 AM

Hi. What do you mean by saying that "CLS 63 has one extra cooler as pictured" That vrp link? That cooler is not plug and and play and to different model.

Please read this Read this Maxxusa text carefully and then u can see that engine water cooling and IC cooling are different thing and use different rads:
"M157 non-S models use the mid (center) Heat exchanger for the IC low-temperature circuit; the auxiliary Heat exchanger in the right air dam assists the engine water cooler.The S-models add the 2nd aux HE in the left air dam, which assists the engine water cooler, and the right aux HE changes its role to assists the IC low-temperature circuit.This M157 upgrade is listed as option code M014."

I have that Split IC cooling system too and that doesn't mean that you have that extra IC heat exchanger on right side bumper. Only S models have that.

So I believe that like I wrote in my second post, there are no extra IC heat exchanger 0995003203 any M278 models on bumper. M278 S550 and SL550 have extra heat exchanger on right side bumper but its used to extra engine cooling and its connected to the (center) main radiator, not on (center) heat exchanger https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Radiator-...orig_cvip=true.

Can you PM me you cars VIN code so my buddy who works on authorized Mercedes part shop can really see what cooling parts your car have. Can you also please check your right side bumper and see what is there? I think has no heat exchanger there, even not this" coolant radiator" part number A2185001000, what is on those S550 and SL550 models and purpose to help main radiator.

So I really think that your cars right side bumper is empty, but lets see.

Last edited by PekkaH; 03-30-2021 at 01:52 AM. Reason: edit
Old 03-30-2021, 02:34 AM

C63 Vert
Pekkah i think we have some language barriers dude.

What you responded to is nothing what I wrote.

the little square coolers are for the m157 2014+. The s model has two. These are the parts you linked.

your car should have two radiators in the front center. Of which you can upgrade the lower one with the part i linked.

dblok i’ll double check fitment with Philip tmrw. But I’m pretty sure that works. I’ve seen someone else on the fb group upgrade cooling with a similar part. I can get you their info too they wanted like $600 for the part.
Dblok1113 (03-30-2021)
Old 03-30-2021, 04:08 AM

Pekkah i think we have some language barriers dude.

What you responded to is nothing what I wrote.

the little square coolers are for the m157 2014+. The s model has two. These are the parts you linked.

your car should have two radiators in the front center. Of which you can upgrade the lower one with the part i linked.

dblok i’ll double check fitment with Philip tmrw. But I’m pretty sure that works. I’ve seen someone else on the fb group upgrade cooling with a similar part. I can get you their info too they wanted like $600 for the part.
Hi. Maybe a little bit.

I did explain to u what those " little square coolers " do on M157 AMG (S) and also M278 S550 and SL550. Please read the post again.

Yes our car have two radiators in center:

Main radiator: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Radiator-Fo...4AAOSw5B5dROvp
Its job is to engine water cooling.

IC cooling radiator: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Radiator-...oq0000b2i00003 and on this link u can the same IC also https://www.ebay.com/p/3010036590 Its job is the IC system cooling.

Look at the size on that original CLS550 IC (main) radiator and compare to vrp link IC radiator. I would be surprised to see if anyone have swap the CLS550 original IC to this piece to.

Last edited by PekkaH; 03-30-2021 at 05:33 AM. Reason: edit
Dblok1113 (03-30-2021)
Old 04-03-2021, 10:07 PM

C63 Vert
what if you replaced the main radiator with either aftermarket or oem AMG style then you would have the take offs for the little squares?
Old 04-04-2021, 01:38 PM

Yes that was my goal first but its big/expensive job to do after all. A lot off hoses needs to find somewhere and replace too with it. The S models have a different/bigger IC pump also than other M157 or M278. So needs replace that also. Main IC (between intake boxes) is different partnumber too.. This job is very much harder that I first think. So maybe I try to connect that extra heat exchanger with custom hoses, for now it is the best solution to even think about to do.
Old 07-20-2022, 08:54 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
2012 CLS550
What did you end up doing. I have 2012 cls500 and only 1 solid radiator no HE under it
Old 07-20-2022, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by gNasty
What did you end up doing. I have 2012 cls500 and only 1 solid radiator no HE under it
I don't know for sure on older models, but I think you have also this https://www.ebay.com/p/3010036590?mk...3m6000b2i00004
In between your main radiator and air-condition rad.

I did install extra heat exchanger on passenger side and I did connect it to the IC cooling system after IC cooling pump, like on AMG S models. Please read my build thread the last pages, there's some pictures on heat exchangers. https://mbworld.org/forums/cls-coupe...uel-pumps.html

If your car doesn't have split cooling system, I really recommend to get one. Like this https://www.vrpspeed.com/product/m15...t-cooling-kit/

In next month im going to upgrade the original Bosch 010 pump to AMG S models Pierburg CWA100 pump. Needs custom wiring and different brackets. I will post then all with pictures to my built thread.

Hope this helps you.
Old 07-21-2022, 09:47 PM

2012 CLS550
Originally Posted by PekkaH
I don't know for sure on older models, but I think you have also this https://www.ebay.com/p/3010036590?mk...3m6000b2i00004
In between your main radiator and air-condition rad.

I did install extra heat exchanger on passenger side and I did connect it to the IC cooling system after IC cooling pump, like on AMG S models. Please read my build thread the last pages, there's some pictures on heat exchangers. https://mbworld.org/forums/cls-coupe...uel-pumps.html

If your car doesn't have split cooling system, I really recommend to get one. Like this https://www.vrpspeed.com/product/m15...t-cooling-kit/

In next month im going to upgrade the original Bosch 010 pump to AMG S models Pierburg CWA100 pump. Needs custom wiring and different brackets. I will post then all with pictures to my built thread.

Hope this helps you.
I appreciate it. No split cooling if I purchased the vrp kit could I route it to this (for cls55) would that fit by chance? I hope so because I already purchased it before I realized it was for the cls55. I don't care about fabbing some brackets I mean as far as it's size and plumbing it.

​​​​​​

Old 07-22-2022, 10:50 AM

Hi.

If your car does not have the oil cooler in front (older models maybe doesn't,) I think that will fit there. I dont know how much is that thick etc. Looks very thick tho.. I hope it fits. That would help cooling for sure.
gNasty (07-22-2022)
Old 07-28-2022, 04:47 AM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
So the 2012 CLS550 cooling includes a primary engine radiator, behind the AC Condenser.

There is also a transmission cooler at the center of the front bumper, visible through the bottom grill on the front bumper. It actually has a duct to exhaust hot air out the bottom of the car, which is a low pressure zone and should be very effective at speed.

For the intake, there is a liquid-to-air heat exchanger behind the passenger side DRL. On the 2012-2013, this is connected with the main engine cooling system. I can't remember if there is an electric intercooler pump on the 2012-13, but IIRC there is, and it is controlled via a thermostat. Many have rewired the pump to be always on when the engine is running, very common mod on the M156

For the 2012-13, the best upgrade path is to upgrade to split cooling, and then upgrade the intercooler pump to a VRP or Renntech pump. After that, if you still need to bring intake air temperatures down more, you have two options. Alphacooling makes a bigger factory-mount intercooler, but limitation is still overall size. Using a custom aftermarket unit will take a bit of fabrication to make some sturdy brackets, but will be a better foundation for reliable cooling. There are tons of aftermarket liquid to air intercoolers. Mounting it in the lower portion of the grill will require moving the transmission cooler, kinda ruining all the engineering the MBZ put into it. Mounting it in the top section may compromise engine cooling to some degree. Moving the trans cooler is probably the best method. Will give you tons of room to mount a cooler in the bottom portion and will give you good airflow. Transmission cooler can be mounted elsewhere

Methanol injection is a quick and easy way to cool down IAT's with the benefit of adding a bit of cleaning power to keep the intake valves clean. Might be important to manually clean the intake valves before using it, as with all direct injection motors I think the M278 will have carbon buildup issues on the intake valves. Ideally this would be used on top of already good cooling, as it can only really be used at medium to full throttle and will only lower temps to some degree if they are getting very hot. Will require a custom tune

Even more extreme would be to upgrade the intercooler like this guy did

Hope this helps. Depends on how much power you are running, and how you plan to drive it. If you are going to do tons of back to back pulls on the highway, or live in a super hot climate, or make huge power with a custom tune, full bolt ons, AMG turbo's etc then you will have to get creative and do some fabrication.

Also make sure you reak through PekkaH's build thread. Lots of good info in there
https://mbworld.org/forums/cls-coupe...l-pumps-5.html

Last edited by investinwaffles; 07-28-2022 at 05:01 AM.
PekkaH (07-28-2022)
Old 07-28-2022, 02:53 PM

2012 CLS550
Originally Posted by investinwaffles
So the 2012 CLS550 cooling includes a primary engine radiator, behind the AC Condenser.

There is also a transmission cooler at the center of the front bumper, visible through the bottom grill on the front bumper. It actually has a duct to exhaust hot air out the bottom of the car, which is a low pressure zone and should be very effective at speed.

For the intake, there is a liquid-to-air heat exchanger behind the passenger side DRL. On the 2012-2013, this is connected with the main engine cooling system. I can't remember if there is an electric intercooler pump on the 2012-13, but IIRC there is, and it is controlled via a thermostat. Many have rewired the pump to be always on when the engine is running, very common mod on the M156

For the 2012-13, the best upgrade path is to upgrade to split cooling, and then upgrade the intercooler pump to a VRP or Renntech pump. After that, if you still need to bring intake air temperatures down more, you have two options. Alphacooling makes a bigger factory-mount intercooler, but limitation is still overall size. Using a custom aftermarket unit will take a bit of fabrication to make some sturdy brackets, but will be a better foundation for reliable cooling. There are tons of aftermarket liquid to air intercoolers. Mounting it in the lower portion of the grill will require moving the transmission cooler, kinda ruining all the engineering the MBZ put into it. Mounting it in the top section may compromise engine cooling to some degree. Moving the trans cooler is probably the best method. Will give you tons of room to mount a cooler in the bottom portion and will give you good airflow. Transmission cooler can be mounted elsewhere

Methanol injection is a quick and easy way to cool down IAT's with the benefit of adding a bit of cleaning power to keep the intake valves clean. Might be important to manually clean the intake valves before using it, as with all direct injection motors I think the M278 will have carbon buildup issues on the intake valves. Ideally this would be used on top of already good cooling, as it can only really be used at medium to full throttle and will only lower temps to some degree if they are getting very hot. Will require a custom tune

Even more extreme would be to upgrade the intercooler like this guy did

Hope this helps. Depends on how much power you are running, and how you plan to drive it. If you are going to do tons of back to back pulls on the highway, or live in a super hot climate, or make huge power with a custom tune, full bolt ons, AMG turbo's etc then you will have to get creative and do some fabrication.

Also make sure you reak through PekkaH's build thread. Lots of good info in there
https://mbworld.org/forums/cls-coupe...l-pumps-5.html

Man am I crazy?

Apologize for the photos onlyy selfie camera currently works. But am I nuts all I see is radiator? Trans lines run right to it cause I opened one to flush TMS. Would methanol really only help at high speeds I thought with it being wired to boost controller it would push whenever the turbos spin? And would I really need tune just for meth? Was planning on running it just to cool things down not for actual performance gains. As far as the car goes I don't plan on getting crazy but I just got the stage one oe tuner, k&n filters, risers, muffler delete. It's it's a daily driver but I run it pretty hard. Hopefully I'm not coming across argumentative I'm new to all of this so just trying to wrap my head around it as best as possible. Thanks for the help.
Old 07-28-2022, 04:20 PM

Hi. I hope someone could have EPC cataloge here to see for sure but I think in older models too there are center heat exchanger https://www.ebay.com/itm/22478462583...IAAOSwmOVh3O58

and you can't see it because its located between your main radiator and air-condition radiator just there where you take pictures.

Im not experienced that meth thing but what I have understand is that you don't need to be tuned for meth and it will still help a lot. I have seen Dragy pulls 60-130mph on M157 AMG before and after meth install and the difference were dramatic. Nearly second faster with meth!
gNasty (07-28-2022)
Old 01-27-2023, 03:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
cls550
I found this on Amazon if anyone is interested
PLM Power Driven Mercedes AMG M157 M278 M133 Heat Exchanger https://a.co/d/cX9RJm9