CLS Coupe (C219) Discuss the CLS Coupe.

Good for Daily Driving? Lease

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 02:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good for Daily Driving? Lease

Looking to lease a MB for my daily commute (46 miles each way).

Only issue is that I need 25k miles/year. I know the dealer will do it, but we haven't talked about lease prices yet for a 2-3 year term.

First off, what are your impressions of this car for a daily car. Comfortable? Can it carry 4 comfortably? I don't do it often, but will put others in the car maybe 1-2 times per week.

Also, comparing the lease of this car with other MB's, am I looking at the right model? I like the CLS much better than the E, but don't want to spend S-Class money either. Will it be remodeled soon and leave with me an "old" body type? Does the 63 lease well because of the market right now? I'd probably prefer something better on gas than the 63 though, unless numbers were very good.

Advice? Thoughts?

Thanks!

-Kyle
Old 02-18-2009, 04:11 PM

2012 ML350BTC
With leases being based on residuals....NOTHING is going to 'lease well' with 75k miles in 3 years. Any cars value is going to be tanked and your $ per mile just isn't going to compute into what in the end, I think you would consider a smart financial decision. Certified Pre-Owned is probably the only way to go right now. Find a car with 10k - 15k miles and taking advanatge of that warranty is going to be lesser of 3 evils. (AMG residual will be even worse)

Getting back to the CLS as a daily driver. I have a 62 mile per day drive, and absolutely love it. The ability to change the suspension from Comfort to Sport 1 to Sport 2 allows me to adjust my drive to how I feel for the day. Also really like being able to adjust the transmission to Comfort in stop and go traffic, so I'm not feeling as much stop and go torque on myself during rush hour times. I can't say I would recommend this as a commuter for 4 though. With the sharp slope of the C Pillar, you'll have to be sure your back seat passengers are under 5'11", have short legs in comparison to the front passengers, and don't get motion sickness easy by the lack of view available.

Just my humble opinion.

edit: With 7 Year MB Life Cycles, CLS is due for redesign in MY 2013

Last edited by Txhurdle; 02-18-2009 at 04:26 PM. Reason: redesign timing...
Old 02-18-2009, 04:20 PM

land rover range rover
i just ran the lease

your 36 mo term will be about $600 / mo less than your 24 month term with no money down. lease should be around 2200-2700 /mo depending on options, plus tax.
as daily driver, depend on what you are used to and what you are looking for in a ride. i know guys who have a fatboy as a daily driver. Or a boxter,
assuming you do 46 miles of freeway, the cls63 is an awesome car.
define comfort. is it as soft as an s class? no way. its even stiffer than cls550. but then again, a 63 isn't about comfort on a daily commute.
i read somewhere that the stiffest setting on the 550 is where the 63 starts. seating for 4 is better in the e class as the rear legroom is better. you have to decide what you want , room or style.
If you are comparing leases to other mb's, you won't get any deal , thats for sure. the 63 is a low volume model with no lease subvention ( help)
from mbf. you'll prolly find the c or e class or even s class will lease out better. cls will be remodeled soon, i believe 2010. but the car is so good looking, imo, it will still look fresh even when the new one comes out. if you leases now for 24 mos you would be turning it in soon after the new ones came out anyway. on top of no lease subvention, i dont imagine dealers will fire sale this model because of its exclusivity. you'd prefer something better on gas? why are you even considering this car? my 55 gets about 14 mpg. unless your are very wealthy, the numbers won't be good. not on this car.
Old 02-19-2009, 04:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
a toy
As a daily driver, it's awesome...even with 4 adults. I'm 6' tall and with the seat comfortably adjusted, there's still enough room for myself behind me. It's not first class size of course, but it does it well anyway.

I had an E. The CLS is far better IMO.
Old 02-19-2009, 04:53 PM

08' C350, Toyota Tundra
Is Mercedes the only brand of choice for you? Also what are your physical characteristics to figure, room wise what you would feel comfortable in. You can also buy a used MB they are so cheap now and ride it out till it falls apart.
Old 02-20-2009, 12:14 AM

2012 CLS-550 / 2015 GLA-250
Just a thought, check out some low mile "certified pre-owned" CLS at a Benz dealership. Prices are very low compared to new. My opinion: I am a total car nut, gear head, 55 yr old. The CLS is the best car I have owned. Yes, rear seat entry is not great for tall rear passenger, but.......Oh well, the roof line is soooo sexy. This car is addictive. I drive about 30k per year and would not ever consider a lease.
Old 02-22-2009, 08:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
06 CLS55 w/ P030, 05 Jag S Type R, 05 TBird-68 Dodge Charger R/T-440 w/4speed I'm original owner
Originally Posted by Kirkdob
Just a thought, check out some low mile "certified pre-owned" CLS at a Benz dealership. Prices are very low compared to new. My opinion: I am a total car nut, gear head, 55 yr old. The CLS is the best car I have owned. Yes, rear seat entry is not great for tall rear passenger, but.......Oh well, the roof line is soooo sexy. This car is addictive. I drive about 30k per year and would not ever consider a lease.
I'm seeing the 06 CLS 55 now showing up from $40-$50K with miles as low as 25K. Keeping looking out there and you'll find one of these beauties. The fever is worth the xtra $$ in gas.

Not bad when considering some of us paid over $100k for these when new!

Last edited by m_berman; 02-22-2009 at 08:06 PM.
Old 02-24-2009, 06:45 AM

I'm not a huge guy. I'm 5'10" about 170 lbs. I've sat in a CLS55 and it was comfortable.

MB isn't the only choice for me, but it does look like the nicest choice for a luxury automatic. I LOVED my e46 M3 when I had it, then went to a 645Ci convert, then to a MINI S to do the daily commute in. But as I mentioned, I made a mistake getting the 6-speed, and the ride isn't very forgiving on NY roads. The interior also isn't "warm and cozy" on those 2 hour rides home sitting in traffic.

Looking for options to make a switch.