CLS Coupe (C219) Discuss the CLS Coupe.

will 15s fit in my trunk?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 10:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cls 500
will 15s fit in my trunk?

Ok am online doing a little bit of audio shopping for my cls 500 I want to order 2 kicker l7 15s but am not sure that they will fit in my trunk with the box I don't want to order them and they don't fit cause ill order some 12s if I got to
Old 01-17-2013, 09:40 AM

2014 CLS550 4MATIC MATTE WHITE / CLASSIC RED
Cool

Nope, I bought a kicker box with 2 - 12L7. could not even get half of the box in the trunk!

I had custom box built, all bass thru the center rear seat arm rest! And still have trunk space.
Attached Thumbnails will 15s fit in my trunk?-892.jpg   will 15s fit in my trunk?-895.jpg  

Last edited by JEYVILLE; 01-17-2013 at 09:50 AM.
Old 01-17-2013, 01:12 PM

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
CLS550 AMG Pkg.
Jeyville - nice set up.

I have a Bassworx ported 12" box in my trunk, barely fit.
Old 01-17-2013, 02:24 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 SL63 AMG
I have 2 12" Orion XTR Pro's. Box fits pretty snug. They hit nice and low, too.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts
CLS550 4Matic, C43, E350, ML350
15'' too big!
Old 01-17-2013, 10:49 PM

2014 CLS550 4MATIC MATTE WHITE / CLASSIC RED
Originally Posted by M1RAG3
Jeyville - nice set up.

I have a Bassworx ported 12" box in my trunk, barely fit.
Thanks M1RAG3
Old 01-18-2013, 02:57 PM

CLS550 AMG Pkg.
I am running a Bassworx HPR212G, dimensions are 83.8(W) x 40.0(H) x 39.7(D) cm, hope this helps you figure out if the box you are considering will fit.

me and another person had to tilt the box slightly forward when lowering it into the trunk, it barely fit, as in we had no clearance at the front of the box and had to slide it down into the trunk. Based on that I'd say the 39.7cm depth is the most you can go in the W219 CLS trunk
Old 01-20-2013, 07:27 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cls55
15's will go in but you will have to run a sealed box which is pants..especially for a 15! You would be better off running a 10 or a 12 ported TBH!

Saying that, im trying to squeeze in a pair of 18s in the boot of my CLS
Old 02-06-2013, 06:13 AM

CLS 550
Can any of you tell me what type of line out converter your using? I have and Audio Control LCi and wonder if it's over kill. has anybody's figured out wire the ba the base game knob through the trunk?
Old 02-06-2013, 07:18 AM

Cls55
Originally Posted by freemanjc
Can any of you tell me what type of line out converter your using? I have and Audio Control LCi and wonder if it's over kill. has anybody's figured out wire the ba the base game knob through the trunk?
What LCi have you got?

Theres a few ways you can integrate with the OEM headunit...

Cheap - HiLow convertors - general speaker level converters. These convert the High level (speaker level) outputs into Low level RCA outputs. They reduce the output voltage from the speaker level outputs, down to a more acceptable 0.5-2v of output.

These just need to be connected to a pair of output channels (from the amp in the Merc's case), preferably a full range signal.

The problem here is you have to source an ignition live or remote output from the headunit/amp, and sometimes this method is prone to unwanted noise

This is a cheap method for a reason BUT it does work. Generally around £15-50

Medium - Something like the Audio control LC6 etc...this method will accept speaker level inputs but allows you to adjust input and output senstivity to help reduce noise and makes gain matching easier between the unit and amp. Often are auto-switching with means they turn on and off when they sense voltage through the speaker inputs. They also generally supply a remote output to turn amps on and off.

Bit more setting up required but less prone to noise and easy to set up and gain match. Often supply more than one pair of outputs.

Some of these also have auto-summing features which enable you to connect them to OEM factory units that have seperate channels for high/mid/low frequencies. This will sum them all up and give you a full range signal.

Normally around £100-350

Top End - Full on processors. These accept speaker level inputs, and give you many RCA outputs to connect to your amps. Also provide remote outputs. These processors not only give you RCA outputs, but they also allow you to EQ the signal to any sort of curve you want, also give you adjustable outputs so you can limit each pair of channels to play whatever frequencies you want them to (one set of channels to play your tweeters, one to play your midrange, one to play midbass, one to play your subs).

You can also time delay each speaker in the system - the speaker close to you, you can pull them back to play ever so slightly behind (time wise) the speaker furthest away from you. This allows you to set the soundstage properly and at the centre of the dash.

You can phase invert each speaker to play in-phase or out of phase against other speakers in the system.

This usually costs upwards of £450

This is the best method....unless......you want to take out the whole Comand system out the vehicle and replace everything from headunit, to amps etc
Old 02-06-2013, 06:10 PM

CLS 550
Originally Posted by teamspb
What LCi have you got?

Theres a few ways you can integrate with the OEM headunit...

Cheap - HiLow convertors - general speaker level converters. These convert the High level (speaker level) outputs into Low level RCA outputs. They reduce the output voltage from the speaker level outputs, down to a more acceptable 0.5-2v of output.

These just need to be connected to a pair of output channels (from the amp in the Merc's case), preferably a full range signal.

The problem here is you have to source an ignition live or remote output from the headunit/amp, and sometimes this method is prone to unwanted noise

This is a cheap method for a reason BUT it does work. Generally around £15-50

Medium - Something like the Audio control LC6 etc...this method will accept speaker level inputs but allows you to adjust input and output senstivity to help reduce noise and makes gain matching easier between the unit and amp. Often are auto-switching with means they turn on and off when they sense voltage through the speaker inputs. They also generally supply a remote output to turn amps on and off.

Bit more setting up required but less prone to noise and easy to set up and gain match. Often supply more than one pair of outputs.

Some of these also have auto-summing features which enable you to connect them to OEM factory units that have seperate channels for high/mid/low frequencies. This will sum them all up and give you a full range signal.

Normally around £100-350

Top End - Full on processors. These accept speaker level inputs, and give you many RCA outputs to connect to your amps. Also provide remote outputs. These processors not only give you RCA outputs, but they also allow you to EQ the signal to any sort of curve you want, also give you adjustable outputs so you can limit each pair of channels to play whatever frequencies you want them to (one set of channels to play your tweeters, one to play your midrange, one to play midbass, one to play your subs).

You can also time delay each speaker in the system - the speaker close to you, you can pull them back to play ever so slightly behind (time wise) the speaker furthest away from you. This allows you to set the soundstage properly and at the centre of the dash.

You can phase invert each speaker to play in-phase or out of phase against other speakers in the system.

This usually costs upwards of £450

This is the best method....unless......you want to take out the whole Comand system out the vehicle and replace everything from headunit, to amps etc

Wow,

What a good write up? I have an Audio Control LC6i that I may pair with my old Sundown SAE 1500D. I'm not sure if the Merc can handle the wattage at 2ohm load. Also , I want to be able to adjust the BASS gain on the fly. Currently I have not found a way to run the wire from the trunk becuase there is no gap. JBL has an amp JBL MS-A5001 with a Wireless Bass Remote Controller JBL MS-WBC. Currently, I have an 12 FI Q sub that I would like to run at 60Hz. I just want to use the sub for the lowes to compliment the system. My method for installation that I trust that works is posted here https://mbworld.org/forums/cls-coupe...urs-total.html.
Old 02-06-2013, 06:21 PM

Cls55
Hi, you have a good kit list there...the Fi Q will sing in the boot! Do you know how you will be firing this into the cabin? The two methods I have found best for a sealed solution is firing the sub through the ski hatch, or bolting the sub box up to the shelf where the OEM sub would fire through. Either method will work well if your not after big spl!

There are many passages from the cabin to the trunk, you just have to remove the back seat to see them. Trust me there is plenty of room there! Or another option if you don't want to remove the rear seats, remove the c pillars and the door seal and any panelling near there, this should allow you to see the route of the car loom running through.

If it helps ill take pictures of my cls tomorrow so you can see the areas I'm talking about.

Also, consider selling the Fi Q and going for an infinite baffle install using either the Fi IB3 or the Ascendant Audio Havoc in IB format. Means no box in the boot and some smooth bass like no box can offer!

Ill be doing a write up of my audio system as I progress with it in my car.
Old 02-06-2013, 06:25 PM

CLS 550
Smile

Hi, you have a good kit list there...the Fi Q will sing in the boot! Do you know how you will be firing this into the cabin? The two methods I have found best for a sealed solution is firing the sub through the ski hatch, or bolting the sub box up to the shelf where the OEM sub would fire through. Either method will work well if your not after big spl!

There are many passages from the cabin to the trunk, you just have to remove the back seat to see them. Trust me there is plenty of room there! Or another option if you don't want to remove the rear seats, remove the c pillars and the door seal and any panelling near there, this should allow you to see the route of the car loom running through.

If it helps ill take pictures of my cls tomorrow so you can see the areas I'm talking about.

Also, consider selling the Fi Q and going for an infinite baffle install using either the Fi IB3 or the Ascendant Audio Havoc in IB format. Means no box in the boot and some smooth bass like no box can offer!

Okay maybe I'm a scrub but what ski hatch. Is that the space between the two rear seats. Does that open up? and help in relations to "sing in the boot" LOL!

Last edited by freemanjc; 02-06-2013 at 06:27 PM.
Old 02-06-2013, 06:30 PM

Cls55
Yes, pull the rear arm rest down, pull the plastic panel away (you will see what I mean once the armrest is down). The. You will be greeted with some sound deadening (like loft insulation). This insulation is already cut with slits along it where the skit hatch is. Pull that portion of the deadening away, and you will see a metal panel with 4 curved corners cut out...this is only if the ski hatchway not taken out previously. You can simply cut this panel out with tin snips and you have access to your boot, which is in turn where the sub will sit firing into the cabin
Old 02-06-2013, 06:43 PM

CLS 550
Yes, pull the rear arm rest down, pull the plastic panel away (you will see what I mean once the armrest is down). The. You will be greeted with some sound deadening (like loft insulation). This insulation is already cut with slits along it where the skit hatch is. Pull that portion of the deadening away, and you will see a metal panel with 4 curved corners cut out...this is only if the ski hatchway not taken out previously. You can simply cut this panel out with tin snips and you have access to your boot, which is in turn where the sub will sit firing into the cabin
OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH snap I just looked at that! I though I was breaking something when the plastic piece pop out! Well what to you know; you learn something every day. So what is the best tool to snap the metal panel as it has not been taken out. I'm pretty pumped. Aslo, do you think the CLS 550 can handle the FI Q and Sundown Amp? Also, how would I install an infinite baffle sub? You provided some very good info. the stock subwoofers wires to tap into are the Yellow and Brown correct? The remote turn onis fuse 13? The amp kit should be 4 guage wires I beleive? Once again thanks. I may try to do this myself this weekend?

Tin Snips I got it. I was reading fast and thought I red ten snips! LOL

R,

Free

Last edited by freemanjc; 02-06-2013 at 06:45 PM.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:00 PM

Cls55
Yep tin snips is the tool you need...or an angle grinder...just simply join the lines and cut! Very easy!

Yes you will have no issue with the 1500d amp...I will be running over 2000wrms class AB power so will have around 250amps of current draw if I was playing at full chat!

Infinite baffle simply means mounting wood upto the opening area and cutting a hole so the sub can sit in it. The idea is the subs front wave cannot interrupt the subs rear wave and vice versa. This means you have to ensure all big holes in the shelf and rear bulkhead are fully sealed off and there is no chance the front and rear waves can meet. Ill try finding a picture and posting it for you.

I'm fitting two Ascendant Audio Havoc 18s in the trunk this way
Old 02-06-2013, 07:04 PM

Cls55
A quick google for infinite baffle installation gives these results

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=in...OW10QWQroGwAQ#

As you can see, the relative pics show subs mounted up with no rear enclosure
Old 02-06-2013, 07:09 PM

CLS 550
A quick google for infinite baffle installation gives these results

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=in...OW10QWQroGwAQ#

As you can see, the relative pics show subs mounted up with no rear enclosure
OK Cook Thanks for the help. Sent you a PM
Old 02-07-2013, 09:06 PM

CLS550 AMG Pkg.
tuned for this
Old 02-08-2013, 03:21 PM

CLS 550
The stock subwoofers wires to tap into are the Yellow and Brown correct

Can anybody verify this? Anybody out there that can answer this. Also, I think the ski rack wall is plastic. Feels lile plastic too. I thinking a recipricatin saw should do the trick. Just need to verify the say blade Plastic or sheet metal? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by freemanjc; 02-10-2013 at 03:41 PM. Reason: Correction
Old 02-15-2013, 10:45 PM

CLS 550
Originally Posted by freemanjc
The stock subwoofers wires to tap into are the Yellow and Brown correct

Can anybody verify this? Anybody out there that can answer this. Also, I think the ski rack wall is plastic. Feels lile plastic too. I thinking a recipricatin saw should do the trick. Just need to verify the say blade Plastic or sheet metal? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Ok just to keep people update. I purchased this amp (JBL MS-A5001) to run my single "12" SSA GCON subwoofer that I am still waiting for. I'm reading the manual and I come to the FAQ parts. One of the question asks this:

My factory installed head unit doesn't include a remote turn on wire. What should I do?

MS-series amplifiers include signal-sensing turn-on. They never require a remote turn-on connection. The amplifier will sense the presence of an audio signal on its inputs, and it will turn on automatically. A few minutes after the
signal stops or after the vehicle’s radio is turned off, the amplifier will turn itself off automatically. During the delay, the amplifier draws very little current so that it won’t drain the vehicle’s battery.

I thought that was pretty cool! Can't wait ti get it hooked up!