CLS Coupe (C219) Discuss the CLS Coupe.

Illuminated Door Sills Instructions & other small mods

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 12:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 CLS550
Illuminated Door Sills Instructions & other small mods

ok. so I have seen a few random threads about putting in these illuminated door sills but nothing concrete or specific to CLS 550. below i am posting a bunch of pics and the steps i performed to install the door sills i bought from www.formymercedes.com. these were good quality and looks absolutely amazing.
also did a few more smaller updates to the look.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:41 AM

2009 CLS550
Step 1

Locate the lights. below are the courtesy lights you will see on the front passenger side that illuminate when you open the door. this is the best power source for these sills. to get to these unscrew the 2 hex screw on the black plastic panel below the glove box and the panel should just slid forward.
the pic is from after Itapped into the wires going into these lights. just google "how to splice or tap into a wire" if you dont know the right way.
Black cable from the sill is negative and goes to the brown wire and red cable from the sill is the positive that goes to pink/yellow cable.
the cable extension are connected together for each sides front and rear sills. so make sure you work out the length of the cables. short black and read cable connector connects to the front sill and the long read one connects to the rear sill.
Attached Thumbnails Illuminated Door Sills Instructions & other small mods-img_0285.jpg   Illuminated Door Sills Instructions & other small mods-img_0286.jpg  
Old 01-23-2013, 12:43 AM

2009 CLS550
Step 1 end result

this is how the sill looks lit up after tapping into the courtesy lights.

P.S. - The install will be much easier if you dont have your dog helping out with the wiring as you can see from the pic.
Attached Thumbnails Illuminated Door Sills Instructions & other small mods-img_0287.jpg  
Old 01-23-2013, 12:48 AM

2009 CLS550
Step 2

Removing the factory sill is no piece of cake. it made me sweat quiet a bit. if you dont care about scratching the paint under the sills which you wont see then just use a crowbar and a hammer and rip off the sills. i only had some minor scratches which are obviously are covered now by the sills.
dont worry its all plastic and you dont need to save any of it after you remove it. i didnt save any of the plugs under it either. clean the tape residue as much as you can. again very tedious and boring.

pic 1 - before.
pic 2 - after removing the sill and lots of sweating
pic 3 - totally worth it result.
Attached Thumbnails Illuminated Door Sills Instructions & other small mods-img_0268.jpg   Illuminated Door Sills Instructions & other small mods-img_0270.jpg   Illuminated Door Sills Instructions & other small mods-img_0279.jpg  
Old 01-23-2013, 01:00 AM

2009 CLS550
Step 3

The next step is the rear sills. the lights are on the back of the passenger front seats. there is no panel to pull back or anything. just wiggle the entire light fixture out of the seat. its a bit hard but dont worry about breaking anything.
Same wiring procedure.
one of these is the pic of the connector that comes with the sills just for your reference.

the final result pic form the above step and the below step show the one problem i faced. there is no place or way to hide the wire coming from teh sill over to the under side panel running along the side of the car frame going to the courtesy lights. so it shows up as a black wire going over as shown. i have ordered small patch of chrome strips to tape over it perpendicular to the chrome strip that already runs along the plastic beige panel on the bottom. i will attach pics of those as soon as i get this done.
Attached Thumbnails Illuminated Door Sills Instructions & other small mods-img_0269.jpg   Illuminated Door Sills Instructions & other small mods-img_0271.jpg   Illuminated Door Sills Instructions & other small mods-img_0278.jpg   Illuminated Door Sills Instructions & other small mods-img_0273.jpg  
Old 01-23-2013, 01:06 AM

2009 CLS550
continued

rear lights pictures.
Attached Thumbnails Illuminated Door Sills Instructions & other small mods-img_0267.jpg  
Old 01-23-2013, 01:09 AM

2009 CLS550
pic of the wiring

here is how the wiring looks finished and the panels i ran the wiring behind to hide it.
Attached Thumbnails Illuminated Door Sills Instructions & other small mods-img_0288.jpg   Illuminated Door Sills Instructions & other small mods-img_0289.jpg   Illuminated Door Sills Instructions & other small mods-img_0290.jpg  
Old 01-23-2013, 01:11 AM

2009 CLS550
Chrome door pillars

might be out of fashion but i like Chrome
chrome door pillars and door lock pins.
Attached Thumbnails Illuminated Door Sills Instructions & other small mods-img_0264.jpg   Illuminated Door Sills Instructions & other small mods-img_0276.jpg  
Old 01-23-2013, 01:46 PM

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
CLS550 AMG Pkg.
looks amazing, and great write-up. Thanks for taking the time to put this together! After seeing this I am seriously considering this mod in the spring time.