Coupe/Roadster
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can’t Decide Between GTS, GTC & GTR. Some info inside.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-02-2020, 11:38 PM

Received 71 Likes on 53 Posts
AMG GTS
GTS. Keeps it civil while keeping it real. I will also leave this here. Lol.

Old 01-03-2020, 12:05 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E43 AMG
Originally Posted by Orcbolg
Looks/money:
If it's primarily a weekend car, I would probably go for the GTR. I don't think the GTC looks different enough from the GTS to warrant the money (the power difference certainly isn't worth it), if aesthetics are your main concern.

Paint:
As far as magno paint goes, if it doesn't already have full xpel stealth, factor in an extra $5k+ to have the car done up, because that paint is much more prone to chipping than normal, and is nearly impossible to touch up without full panel resprays.

CCB:
Based on your expected amount of use, you would probably be fine with the CCB, as they should end up outlasting your ownership of the car. You generally don't want them on a high mileage car, as the rotors are absurdly expensive to replace. They are going to be extra grabby, but will almost eliminate any brake dust, which the MB steels are notorious for. You might get some squeaking, but people with CCB will have to chime in on that.

Interior:
I personally think the updated interiors feel cheaper/more plasticky than the original interiors, but ymmv.

nah, rather buy a gloss car and use xpel stealth. X pel stealth doesn’t give you the same look. It looks frozen. The matte painted car in my opinion is supposed to be left alone.
Old 01-03-2020, 01:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 694 Likes on 437 Posts
AMG
Originally Posted by doulehr
Nope, if anything IM understanding the differences...the GTR AND GTC are very similar performance wise while the GTS is a significant step down (and the MSRP reflects that)
GTS has smaller turbos
GTC and GTR has standard dynamic engine mounts
GTC and GTR increased front wheel camber
GTC and GTR have the same wider rear fenders (2.2 inches); making them some of the widest cars on the road
GTC and GTR have 4 wheel steering
GTC and GTR have wider wheels (front and back)
GTC and GTR have more aggressive gear ratios than the GTS
Ah, now I remember why your name looked familiar, you were the guy up in arms that people said the GTR was a very different car from the GTC, in the pro vs non pro thread. That was entertaining.

Originally Posted by NOTTAYO
nah, rather buy a gloss car and use xpel stealth. X pel stealth doesn’t give you the same look. It looks frozen. The matte painted car in my opinion is supposed to be left alone.
I wasnt talking about it from an aesthetic standpoint, but there have been plenty of folks on this forum that have posted their before and after, and you cant tell the difference. But if you want to deal with the hassle of repairing magno paint, be my guess. I have a magno car and the previous owner was a doofus for not covering the car.

​​​​​​​https://mbworld.org/forums/amg-gt/67...gno-paint.html
The following users liked this post:
dbrad32 (02-17-2022)
Old 01-03-2020, 03:27 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E43 AMG
Ah, now I remember why your name looked familiar, you were the guy up in arms that people said the GTR was a very different car from the GTC, in the pro vs non pro thread. That was entertaining.

I wasnt talking about it from an aesthetic standpoint, but there have been plenty of folks on this forum that have posted their before and after, and you cant tell the difference. But if you want to deal with the hassle of repairing magno paint, be my guess. I have a magno car and the previous owner was a doofus for not covering the car.

https://mbworld.org/forums/amg-gt/67...gno-paint.html

In pictures, yes it looks similar because they wrapped the whole car. I have it on my car. x pel stealth on half of the hood done by the dealer. It doesn’t look similar to me. You can’t compare a paint to wrap. Why will you cover a paint that nice?. The stealth was made for cars that want to go from glossy to after market matte. It will in no way stand beside the factory matte. If it was as easy as putting on and off a phone case on a phone I will agree but when you do a wrap, it’s on there for the longest time. Anyone putting xpel stealth should save the cost of the Magno paint and buy the gloss since you get the same look as putting xpel on matte. In regards to repairing the paint, honestly I don’t think that paint is for everyone. I’m yet to be convinced as putting a stealth film on matte car is a good idea.It is only the Mercedes paint I have seen people go, what kind of paint is that?. Other cars, they ask “is that a wrap?”. Mercedes knows how hard the paint is that is why they limit it. I know this doesn’t relate to your initial question.
Old 01-03-2020, 12:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 197 Likes on 158 Posts
2018 GT R; Tesla M3P
One will always think that GTS/GTC is enough until one drive the GTR. My opinion if you already thinking about spending that much money and want to keep the car for long go with 2018/2019 GTR.
Old 01-03-2020, 03:26 PM

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts
2014 E550
[QUOTE=Orcbolg;7942597]Ah, now I remember why your name looked familiar, you were the guy up in arms that people said the GTR was a very different car from the GTC, in the pro vs non pro thread. That was entertaining.

Nope, you have me confused with someone else...SMH.

Old 01-03-2020, 03:50 PM

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG 2019 C300 Coupe 2017 AMG GTS 2020 A 220
So. funny thing just happened, I pulled into a parking structure for a meeting this morning looking for a spot and turn the corner to find a brand new GTR, first I said damn this guy lol, then parked next to him and said love this car but looking at the side by side with my little mods and tune i felt better keeping that extra $100k in my pocket for now But will still upgrade to the GTC or GTR when I get a chance and the price is right.
Old 01-03-2020, 03:55 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
C63 AMG
Originally Posted by dlefty
Get a GTS or a GTR, there helped you eliminate 33% of the choices
haha thank you 😆
Old 01-03-2020, 04:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 694 Likes on 437 Posts
AMG
Originally Posted by doulehr

Nope, you have me confused with someone else...SMH.
I didnt, your post history is public.
Old 01-03-2020, 04:17 PM

2014 E550
I didnt, your post history is public.
The GTR and GTC are not all that different, as Ive outlined in this thread. Just look at the MSRP of each trim and that will tell you the story.
Surge (01-04-2020)
Old 01-03-2020, 05:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 382 Likes on 237 Posts
2010 Irridium Silver MB C63 AMG Sedan
Any GT series car you get you will still be a "fellow owner"! There are differences that only you can decide if you like or really want. There are differences indeed...tear a GTR down and compare it to a GTC or GTS and you will see the differences. But they also share, more importantly, more similarites...
The following 5 users liked this post by ZephyrAMG:
ChargedMB (01-04-2020), Orcbolg (01-03-2020), Razzy (01-03-2020), Surge (01-04-2020), thebishman (01-03-2020)
Old 01-03-2020, 05:16 PM

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
AMG GTS
If you have the money GT-R for sure. I went with the GT-S myself. *cries in poor*
Old 01-03-2020, 06:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 701 Likes on 534 Posts
R Nine T
Meh. I’m dropping my GT with renntech sleeves.

Street duty here.
Old 01-03-2020, 06:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts
2003 SL55,2020 GTC ,2017 GTS sold ,2002 G500 Sold,2003 SL500 Sold,
I had a 17 GTS , my 20 GTC is getting built 1/31/20 or so they told me, to me GTC looks much better, the rear steer was sick on the track ,and going to CCB ,I love all the GT s. But the wide *** is banging imo
Razzy (01-03-2020)
Old 01-03-2020, 06:28 PM

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by ZephyrAMG
Any GT series car you get you will still be a "fellow owner"! There are differences that only you can decide if you like or really want. There are differences indeed...tear a GTR down and compare it to a GTC or GTS and you will see the differences. But they also share, more importantly, more similarites...
Thanks for the comment, nice seeing you again as I haven’t been on here since 2014/2015 when I had my C63.
Old 01-03-2020, 06:37 PM

C63 AMG
Plot twist: Imagine a Jaguar F-Type R. Those are like $70k CAD for a 2016/2017.

PS: Please don’t ban me 😆
Old 01-03-2020, 07:28 PM

Received 107 Likes on 64 Posts
'07 CL550
Originally Posted by Razzy

Your call, but they’re a lot more common on the road, and Jaguar’s build quality is not the best. Along with various minor quality issues, a friend of mine had the seats on his F-type come apart at the stitches, and they refused to cover it under warranty, so he dumped the car and swore off Jaguar for life.

The AMG GT is a much more special car. I wouldn’t even think of trading mine for any Jaguar F-Type, new or used.
The following 2 users liked this post by wizee:
Orcbolg (01-03-2020), WildPete (01-04-2020)
Old 01-03-2020, 08:42 PM

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
AMG GTS

I can't speak on the reliability but the driving dynamics of the F-Type R are fantastic.
Old 01-04-2020, 09:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 411 Likes on 287 Posts
W463 G550 / C190 GTC //prev: W204 C63 507 / R170
Originally Posted by UCIMBZ
GT>Grand Touring. GTS>Grand Touting Sport GTC>Grand Touring Competition GTR>Grand Touring Racing. GTS is being discontinued and is being replaced by GTC. Disagree with the notion that the all digital interior is an upgrade. GTC's plastic appendages such as front spoiler and body side moldings and extra vents not only interferes with the clean, classic body design of the GT it also cheapens the car. GTC's rear steering not a desirable thing. You can achieve GTR horsepower numbers by a simple ECU tune on the GTS.
Wow. Respectfully disagree with all of this, and some of it is untrue. GTS is not being phased out. The model line globally is GT, GTS, GTC, GTR.

GTC is the truest to the original design in my view. It looks clean, aggressive, but also classy. You can drive it to the opera or to the track. The rear steer is AWESOME! HUGE difference. The car handles like a go cart on winding roads, and feels more stable on the highway (as if the wheelbase is lengthened). Plus you can make U-turns with ease. I know the GTS is cheaper, but if you have an extra $20-30K, it’s worth it. Also, not all GTS will have the full leather dash, illuminated door sills, AMG projectors under the mirrors, Alcantara roof, and a few other bits.

I don’t track my cars (more than 1-2 times), so the GTR was not for me. I like a glass roof - which makes the interior a LOT more airy and open. The GTR with it’s short windows and no glass roof feels like you’re sitting in a German pillbox in Normandy. The GTR loses the automatic rear spoiler, which I love, and you can’t get the carbon bucket seats here, or the retractable cargo cover. And on Toronto/NYC roads, the GTR suspension is way too harsh.

2020MY redesign - I hate it! The center console is terrible! The whole point of the original design was that the 8 round knobs invoked a V8 engine. That’s now gone. The buttons on the steering wheel feel super-cheap - the whole pod moves when you press a button. It also doesn’t make sense - you don’t need redundant buttons when you have them on the console. It’s stupid and it’s now no longer a bespoke design for the 2 door.

My 2 cents, and this is what I did, is the GTC. I also live in Canada and drive it year round (but not on big snow days). I can confirm there is tons of traction with Michelin Alpin PA4s.

There are MASSIVE discounts now on brand new 2019 GTCs. I saved well over 20% on a brand new car. Check Autotrader.ca and see if there are any left. One last thing - MAKE SURE to get the Track Package so you get the adjustable transmission and engine mounts. You can tell if the car has it if the gauge markers are yellow (on pre 2020 cars). All GTRs have it.

Finally, keep in mind that whichever model you get, they are VERY rare. About 1700 cars were sold in N. America in 2018. That’s about half the # of 911 GT3s that were sold.

Forget the Jaguar - there’s a reason why it’s half the price. Reliabilty is sh~t. Performance is nowhere near the GT.

Last edited by Surge; 01-04-2020 at 10:12 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Surge:
Razzy (01-05-2020), sjp3003 (05-01-2022)
Old 01-04-2020, 10:06 AM

2014 E550
Originally Posted by Surge
Wow. Respectfully disagree with all of this, and some of it is untrue. GTS is not being phased out. The model line globally is GT, GTS, GTC, GTR.

GTC is the truest to the original design in my view. It looks clean, aggressive, but also classy. You can drive it to the opera or to the track.

I don’t track my cars (more than 1-2 times), so the GTR was not for me. I like a glass roof - which makes the interior a LOT more airy and open. The GTR with it’s short windows and no glass roof feels like you’re sitting in a German pillbox in Normandy. The GTR loses the automatic rear spoiler, which I love, and you can’t get the carbon bucket seats here, or the retractable cargo cover. And on Toronto/NYC roads, the GTR suspension is way too harsh.

2020MY redesign - I hate it! The center console is terrible! The whole point of the original design was that the 8 round knobs invoked a V8 engine. That’s now gone. The buttons on the steering wheel feel super-cheap - the whole pod moves when you press a button. It also doesn’t make sense - you don’t need redundant buttons when you have them on the console. It’s stupid and it’s now no longer a bespoke design for the 2 door.

My 2 cents, and this is what I did, is the GTC. I also live in Canada and drive it year round (but not on big snow days). I can confirm there is tons of traction with Michelin Alpin PA4s.

There are MASSIVE discounts now on brand new 2019 GTCs. I saved well over 20% on a brand new car. Check Autotrader.ca and see if there are any left. One last thing - MAKE SURE to get the Track Package so you get the adjustable transmission and engine mounts. You can tell if the car has it if the gauge markers are yellow (on pre 2020 cars). All GTRs have it.
Pretty much in agreement with you, except im not a fan of the retractable spoiler so i bought the darwin pro. Also, al the GTC have the track package (at least in the US). Its optional on the GTS.
Old 01-04-2020, 10:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by NOTTAYO
Disagree. A glossy car with XPEL Stealth will look “ok”, but you’ll still see the gloss along all the edges of each panel. No way to fix that unless you grind the gloss down or remove all the panels (which is not really possible). It looks OK from afar but when you get close and see the glossy trim, it’s lame, IMO.

My GTC is Magno and XPEL Stealth does not change the look at all. You should definitely NOT leave Magno paint unprotected, simply because any scratch or dent will require an expensive respray. I posted photos of mine in another thread, related to this topic.
ZephyrAMG (01-06-2020)
Old 01-04-2020, 10:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

beautiful car. Thanks for sharing. I may just have to hit you up! Do you drive it in the winter?
GTC also gets a lighter flywheel and gearing from the GTR, so it will feel faster and more lively, in addition to the HP and torque increase.
Old 01-04-2020, 10:39 AM

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
'16 GTS, '18 AMG GLE 63S, '06 SL55 AMG (sold)
Originally Posted by wizee
Your call, but they’re a lot more common on the road, and Jaguar’s build quality is not the best. Along with various minor quality issues, a friend of mine had the seats on his F-type come apart at the stitches, and they refused to cover it under warranty, so he dumped the car and swore off Jaguar for life.

The AMG GT is a much more special car. I wouldn’t even think of trading mine for any Jaguar F-Type, new or used.
Never, Ever, as in not in this lifetime, buy a Jaguar. Had a new '18 F-Pace S w/ everything on it (77K) when they were still uncommon, owned it 4 months and it damn near drove me out of my mind. Every day, something was wrong with it, anything that was electronically controlled be it transmission, suspension, info-tainment/phone system, ANYTHING, was complete crap! Open the door, beep, vehicle not in park, or, beep, suspension mode inop, phone? good luck with that!! Service was horrendous, 2 week wait just to get an appointment, then it sat there for a week before they touched it, after another 1 1/2 weeks did a software update & pencil whipped the rest, came back with more problems than before. Even a simple issue like windshield wash spraying all over the hood leaving spots on dark grey metallic paint was acceptable, gum snapping service chick says, yah, they do that...seriously? Line of jag's & rovers out the door for service all the time, what's that tell you? Btw, that new-ish rover thing, velar, is just an F-Pace re-skinned for 40K more, same p.o.s. That R, after f-type, stands for Regret.
Traded my p.o.s. Jag for a new '18 AMG GLE 63S for 50K more....best thing I ever did.
There, I feel better now.
Surge (01-04-2020)
Old 01-04-2020, 03:16 PM

Received 216 Likes on 135 Posts
E55, 380SL, GLA 250 Sport, AMG GTS
Originally Posted by Surge

GTC is the truest to the original design in my view. It looks clean, aggressive, but also classy. You can drive it to the opera or to the track. The rear steer is AWESOME! HUGE difference. The car handles like a go cart on winding roads, and feels more stable on the highway (as if the wheelbase is lengthened). Plus you can make U-turns with ease. I know the GTS is cheaper, but if you have an extra $20-30K, it’s worth it. Also, not all GTS will have the full leather dash, illuminated door sills, AMG projectors under the mirrors, Alcantara roof, and a few other bits.

Finally, keep in mind that whichever model you get, they are VERY rare. About 1700 cars were sold in N. America in 2018. That’s about half the # of 911 GT3s that were sold.

Forget the Jaguar - there’s a reason why it’s half the price. Reliabilty is sh~t. Performance is nowhere near the GT.
Not that I, you or anyone else should care but I am sure someone in here will respectfully crap on your views just because they own a GTR or a redesigned interior GT. According to MBUSA the GTS is not being offered anymore so maybe it is just for us in the States.
https://www.mbusa.com/en/vehicles/class/amg-gt/coupe

Last edited by UCIMBZ; 01-04-2020 at 03:34 PM.
Old 01-04-2020, 04:17 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,303 Likes on 2,049 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by UCIMBZ
Not that I, you or anyone else should care but I am sure someone in here will respectfully crap on your views just because they own a GTR or a redesigned interior GT. According to MBUSA the GTS is not being offered anymore so maybe it is just for us in the States.
https://www.mbusa.com/en/vehicles/class/amg-gt/coupe
MY20 GTS is alive and kicking, just not in some parts of the world, like NA.

The following 2 users liked this post by Wolfman:
thebishman (01-05-2020), UCIMBZ (01-04-2020)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Can’t Decide Between GTS, GTC & GTR. Some info inside.