Coupe/Roadster
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any better recommendations Than The Renntech EVM?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-30-2020, 10:52 PM

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
2018 GTC Edition 50
Finally got around to installing the module. Many thanks to those that already did the mod and gave some great tips.

The install was extremely easy. I think it took all of 15 minutes and that was with me going slow. I’m sure I could put another one in 10 minutes or less. Anyone in the Orlando that would like a second hand, don’t hesitate to reach out!

First Impressions: WOW. What a sound at startup. And it keeps a really nice deep grumble at idle that goes with the German muscle car image. Coming to the GTC I felt it lacked a bit of the sound theatrics compared to my 911S at low speeds (no comparison when you’re getting on it in terms of speed and sound) but I think this solves it completely. Needless to say, I’m super happy with the mod.
The following 3 users liked this post by cryhavok:
kumizi (12-30-2020), Orcbolg (12-31-2020), V8ray (12-31-2020)
Old 01-05-2021, 06:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SLK 55 AMG
Looking forward directions on drop shipping. Also, need the module for the s63 amg that compares to this. https://renntech-store.com/evm-222-40/

Thanks so much!
Old 01-05-2021, 08:38 PM

Received 82 Likes on 50 Posts
2016 AMG GTS
Originally Posted by Nioannac
Looking forward directions on drop shipping. Also, need the module for the s63 amg that compares to this. https://renntech-store.com/evm-222-40/

Thanks so much!
Enable your private messaging, and I’ll send you instructions.
Old 01-06-2021, 12:24 AM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
AMG GTs
I’m having one sent to me from family in Europe but concerned the instructions will be in German 😂 Does anyone have a good video of installation? Didn’t have much luck searching YouTube
Old 01-06-2021, 10:56 AM

Received 81 Likes on 40 Posts
AMG GT C
Originally Posted by MGGTs
I’m having one sent to me from family in Europe but concerned the instructions will be in German 😂 Does anyone have a good video of installation? Didn’t have much luck searching YouTube
Post number 51 in this thread has a download link with a photo and instructions, and post number 100 has more detailed instructions.

With those two posts you should have enough info to do the install. Everything you need is in this thread.
Old 01-06-2021, 11:24 PM

AMG GTS
Originally Posted by Saudio
OK I got it installed, and it works, and it does sound much better at idle and low speed.

Having just finish this install, let me share a few notes that might make it easier for the next person.

There are three 10mm hex nuts holding the floor panel in place. The two at the bottom are easy to get to, but the one at the top is deeply recessed and requires either multiple socket extensions or an extension and a deep well socket.

The cover was stubborn to remove, I had to man handle it to get it off, including some bending and cussing.

The multi pin connector has a levered locking mechanism. The lever is light grey as opposed to black and must be operated to get the connectors apart. I strongly suggest carefully examining and operating the lock on the new module because it has a small plastic tab to keep it from opening accidentally, and figuring out the tab on the one in the footwell would be a challenge.

When you remove the 10A fuse to install the power cable for the module, there is a slot in the plug next to the 3A fuse that you must put the10A fuse into. So there will be TWO fuses in the adapter when you plug it back in.

There is a good ground just forward of the speaker against the right side. It also requires a 10MM socket.

I found the easiest way to replace the plastic cover was to put the top threaded bolt through the hole in the cover first, then push the bottom of the cover forward until the two bottom bolts line up.

Replacing the top nut requires a method of getting the nut to stay in the socket while you are affixing it. If you take a 1" square of paper towel and put it over the socket, then force the nut into the socket, the paper will hold the nut in place and you can start it by hand holding the socket extensions in your fingers to start the nut, then pulling off the socket and retrieving the paper with needle nose pliers, then finishing tightening.

And credit Orcblog for this one, you can program you garage door opener in the car to operate the module, and you can also purchase cheap replacement remotes from Amazon. However you must have one working remote to clone from or you would have to repurchase the entire module. Mine came with only one remote so now I have a spare.
can you please provide a link to the cheap replacement remote from Amazon? I also only have one and would like to keep a spare incase I lose the original.

also, can you share how to pair the ASR remote with the garage door opener?

thanks in advance!
Old 01-07-2021, 12:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 694 Likes on 437 Posts
AMG
Originally Posted by gunda416
also, can you share how to pair the ASR remote with the garage door opener?
Just follow the instructions in the first part of the video, but instead of the garage door opener, hold the button on the remote that you want programmed to that mirror button. I have my left two mirror buttons as stock and full open.

The following users liked this post:
reignz (11-30-2021)
Old 01-07-2021, 10:08 AM

Received 81 Likes on 40 Posts
AMG GT C
Here is the link to the spare remotes. Also, credit Orcblog for sniffing these out. He referred them to me.

Amazon Amazon
Old 01-21-2021, 09:19 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
AMG GT S, Bentley Continental GTC, BMW X5 M
I read a lot of posts in this thread saying the older cars start with the flaps closed.

While this is the default, you can start with flaps open...

1 With your foot NOT on the brake pedal, press the start engine button twice.

2. Select your desired mode. Sport+ or Race mode which will both start with the exhaust flaps open.
Note that the mode button will only be lit after pressing the start engine button twice.

3. Put foot on brake, press start engine button and the car will start in the mode you selected.
If you selected Sport+ or Race mode, the car will start with the exhaust flaps open.

Hope this helps!
with the exhaust flaps open.Here is the procedure:1. Enter car2. With your foot NOT on the brake pedal, pwith the exhaust flaps open.Here is the procedure:1. Enter car2. With your foot NOT on the brake pedal, press the start engine button twice.3. Select your desired mode. Note that the mode button will only be lit after pressing the start engine button twice.4. Put foot on brake, press start engine button and the car will start in the mode you selected.Hope this helps!ress the start engine button twice.3. Select your desired mode. Note that the mode button will only be lit after pressing the start engine button twice.4. Put foot on brake, press start engine button and the car will start in the mode you selected.Hope this helps!
Old 01-21-2021, 11:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
Originally Posted by priceaction
I read a lot of posts in this thread saying the older cars start with the flaps closed.

While this is the default, you can start with flaps open...

1 With your foot NOT on the brake pedal, press the start engine button twice.

2. Select your desired mode. Sport+ or Race mode which will both start with the exhaust flaps open.
Note that the mode button will only be lit after pressing the start engine button twice.

3. Put foot on brake, press start engine button and the car will start in the mode you selected.
If you selected Sport+ or Race mode, the car will start with the exhaust flaps open.

Hope this helps!
with the exhaust flaps open.Here is the procedure:1. Enter car2. With your foot NOT on the brake pedal, pwith the exhaust flaps open.Here is the procedure:1. Enter car2. With your foot NOT on the brake pedal, press the start engine button twice.3. Select your desired mode. Note that the mode button will only be lit after pressing the start engine button twice.4. Put foot on brake, press start engine button and the car will start in the mode you selected.Hope this helps!ress the start engine button twice.3. Select your desired mode. Note that the mode button will only be lit after pressing the start engine button twice.4. Put foot on brake, press start engine button and the car will start in the mode you selected.Hope this helps!
I've tried this many times and it doesn't make a difference.
Old 01-21-2021, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by Orcbolg
I've tried this many times and it doesn't make a difference.
Works for me all the time.
I can go into my garage right now and it will work.

I have a 2016 AMG GT S.

Are you sure you are pressing the start engine button twice and waiting for the mode button to be lit, then selecting the mode, prior to starting the engine?

Last edited by priceaction; 01-21-2021 at 11:50 AM. Reason: more specificity
Old 01-21-2021, 12:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
Originally Posted by priceaction
Works for me all the time.
I can go into my garage right now and it will work.

I have a 2016 AMG GT S.

Are you sure you are pressing the start engine button twice and waiting for the mode button to be lit, then selecting the mode, prior to starting the engine?
Yup, I think it's placebo tbh. I tried all the tricks before deciding to use an EVM.
priceaction (02-19-2021)
Old 01-21-2021, 12:53 PM

Yup, I think it's placebo tbh. I tried all the tricks before deciding to use an EVM.
Gotcha
Old 01-26-2021, 08:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GT
It might be just a newer software update that you have. Here in Germany, we had a huge discussion about the noise level of the AMG's (not only GT, also C63..).
I had a W205 C63 before and after the dealer applied a new software update, it was much quieter than before (I think bc they close the flaps even more).
My GT (2017) is not getting any Update anymore from the Dealer now

Btw: The ASR Module also makes the car louder while "normal" driving. Under full throttle it's not a difference i think.
But definitely worth the money.

Best,
Andreas

Orcbolg (01-26-2021)
Old 02-19-2021, 07:57 AM

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
GT350 AMGGTS
I've sent PM asking how to do this. Just posting here to alert those guys who may be subscribed to the thread.
Thanks for sharing all your findings!
priceaction (02-19-2021)
Old 02-19-2021, 09:07 AM

Received 82 Likes on 50 Posts
2016 AMG GTS
Originally Posted by Theweezersdad
I've sent PM asking how to do this. Just posting here to alert those guys who may be subscribed to the thread.
Thanks for sharing all your findings!
Sent you a PM
The following 2 users liked this post by x96535:
KenGross (02-19-2021), Theweezersdad (02-19-2021)
Old 03-12-2021, 12:27 PM

2016 Mercedes S550 W222
Yeah, I don't think I have the right one incoming. After finding out about the Renntech nonsense, I absolutely will not buy it from them. So I either have to find a chap who can get it and send it to the US, or go with the competitor product.

https://www.active-sound.eu/en/merce...-valve-control
Orcbolg. Do you mind sending me a Pm of how to order the ASR EVM to the United States.

Thank you!
Old 03-14-2021, 09:53 PM

Received 36 Likes on 18 Posts
2016 AMG GTS —- 2018 GT C Roadster
EVM and DMV

Anyone have trouble with emissions related tests or inspections after installing an EVM module? I’m not sure if this modification would show up on a DMV inspection or impact an emissions test. Thanks
Old 03-14-2021, 10:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
Originally Posted by perasmu01
Anyone have trouble with emissions related tests or inspections after installing an EVM module? I’m not sure if this modification would show up on a DMV inspection or impact an emissions test. Thanks
Wouldnt affect emission related testing in the least, as it's merely keeping the valves in the exhaust system open, not bypassing any emissions filters/systems.
Old 03-15-2021, 01:18 AM

Wouldnt affect emission related testing in the least, as it's merely keeping the valves in the exhaust system open, not bypassing any emissions filters/systems.

Thanks. Makes sense. I thought I had seen some wording on the Renntech web site about issues with DMV emissions. I’ll give them a call.
Old 03-15-2021, 07:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
Originally Posted by perasmu01
Thanks. Makes sense. I thought I had seen some wording on the Renntech web site about issues with DMV emissions. I’ll give them a call.
Worst case scenario you just use the remote to set it back to stock settings with a single press of a button, then open the valves back up afterward.
Old 03-15-2021, 09:42 AM

Worst case scenario you just use the remote to set it back to stock settings with a single press of a button, then open the valves back up afterward.
thanks I appreciate the response.
Old 03-15-2021, 07:34 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
2020 E63S
contact

sales@automotivepassion.net

Old 03-15-2021, 07:36 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
2020 E63S
I bought a cete EVM but could not install it properly. Not sure if it was mistake on my end or what, but the length of the fuse going in place of 10A was shorter than OEM so it would never plug in fully and I got CEL with malfunction code on dash and the car wouldn't start. I had to uninstall the whole kit and put it back to OEM, but again that could've been my fault.
Old 03-16-2021, 09:43 AM

Does anyone have a recommendation for someone that can install the renntech EVM in the Las Vegas area? Thanks in advance.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.