Coupe/Roadster
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil level - temperature reservoir research

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-14-2021, 09:11 PM

Received 288 Likes on 114 Posts
2007 S65 AMG-Sold, 2007 SL55 P030 - 2016 GL450 - - 2017 AMG GTS - Sold - 2015 AMG S65
Oil level - temperature reservoir research

As part of my interest to be able to more accurately monitoring my AMG GT engine oil level and related oil temperature control I got a spare oil reservoir.
I hereby share some of my findings after I made some observations and taken some pictures using the spare reservoir.
I'm inviting comments from others that may find this information useful to them.
I understand/see that pulling the drain plug with the engine oil at the normal working temperature and the in tank oil level at its highest will create a siphon effect in feed and oil return line.

The following 4 users liked this post by Hendrik Koster:
MalibuScott (08-15-2021), Stenzel-Germany (08-15-2021), thebishman (08-15-2021), user33 (08-15-2021)
Old 08-15-2021, 06:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 411 Likes on 287 Posts
W463 G550 / C190 GTC //prev: W204 C63 507 / R170
Interesting. Are you saying you added a 3rd-party secondary oil tank?

On a somewhat related note: is there an automatic oil overfill message that comes up, or do you have to check the level to see if it’s overfilled?
Old 08-15-2021, 10:12 PM

2007 S65 AMG-Sold, 2007 SL55 P030 - 2016 GL450 - - 2017 AMG GTS - Sold - 2015 AMG S65
Just doing research at this time...

Originally Posted by Surge
Interesting. Are you saying you added a 3rd-party secondary oil tank?

On a somewhat related note: is there an automatic oil overfill message that comes up, or do you have to check the level to see if it’s overfilled?
No, I got the extra/spare oil tank just to run some in house experiments - things I consider doing are:
  1. I may look into a substitute (besides the original one) oil dip stick that can be used to check the oil level when the engine is cold
  2. An alternate to the factory hot oil drain method, I'll get back here after I have had the time to do some of these experiments.
When your oil reservoir gets overfilled (for what ever reason) you do get an automatic message in your instrument cluster.

Best H
The following users liked this post:
Surge (08-15-2021)
Old 08-16-2021, 08:41 AM

Received 443 Likes on 237 Posts
AMG GTR
Originally Posted by Hendrik Koster
  1. I may look into a substitute (besides the original one) oil dip stick that can be used to check the oil level when the engine is cold
Hi Hendrik,

I like your reports. Always interesting. Outside the box. Thank you.

Do you mean checking the oil level when it is cold? Then you just have to subtract the heat expansion of the oil.
In any case, you have to let the engine run for about 1 minute. There will always be oil running back into the engine.
How much this is depends on the duration of the standstill. The non-return valve is not a 100% leakproof component.

Maybee I misunderstood something?

Kind regards

Stenzel

Old 08-16-2021, 09:34 AM

Participation

Originally Posted by Stenzel-Germany
Hi Hendrik,

I like your reports. Always interesting. Outside the box. Thank you.

Do you mean checking the oil level when it is cold? Then you just have to subtract the heat expansion of the oil.
In any case, you have to let the engine run for about 1 minute. There will always be oil running back into the engine.
How much this is depends on the duration of the standstill. The non-return valve is not a 100% leakproof component.

Maybee I misunderstood something?

Kind regards

Stenzel
Hi Stenzel,

Thanks you, your one of the participants here that always has great input/feedback and I appreciate that. Yes the factor of the oil heat expansion (depending on temperature and time) are there, are you saying that if the car sits overnight all the oil out of the reservoir runs back into the engine? I'm planning to check this with an alternate dip stick that will go down to the very bottom of the tank.
When you say the non-return valve do you mean to say it's a one way valve?

Again thanks for your input, much appreciated.

Best H

Old 08-16-2021, 02:05 PM

Cold oil level check

Hi Stenzel,

I'm planning to check this with an alternate dip stick that will go down to the very bottom of the tank.

Best H
Cold level checked see pictures

Old 08-16-2021, 02:55 PM

Received 443 Likes on 237 Posts
AMG GTR
Hi Stenzel,

Thanks you, your one of the participants here that always has great input/feedback and I appreciate that. Yes the factor of the oil heat expansion (depending on temperature and time) are there, are you saying that if the car sits overnight all the oil out of the reservoir runs back into the engine? I'm planning to check this with an alternate dip stick that will go down to the very bottom of the tank.
When you say the non-return valve do you mean to say it's a one way valve?

Best H
Hi Hendrik,

That's exactly what I mean.Every dry sump lubrication normally has a one way valve in the inlet of the oil pump.This is near the oiltank lowest point, and the oil tank is usually higher up.Otherwise the oil would flow back into the engine.It can be tight, it should, but it is not always.

When I want to check the oil level, I don't know it. Therefore, let it run for a moment, then everything is where it should be.

The return pump, (Often there are several, that suck off at different points), usually have at least 2 - 4 times as much throughput as the feed pump.
A short engine run is completely sufficient.

Suggestion: Drive until your oil has reached temperature (here is 100 degrees Celsius), possibly fill up to the maximum. Next day., cold oil, short engine run, check. Due to the expansion, you must now deeper on level. Remember this fill level, and you have your future cold oil level control.

Kind Regards

Stenzel
The following users liked this post:
Acta_Non_Verba (08-16-2021)
Old 08-16-2021, 06:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 877 Likes on 452 Posts
Bentley Continental GT; AMG GT
Originally Posted by Stenzel-Germany;8396992
[color=#000000
Suggestion: Drive until your oil has reached temperature (here is 100 degrees Celsius), possibly fill up to the maximum. Next day., cold oil, short engine run, check. Due to the expansion, you must now deeper on level. Remember this fill level, and you have your future cold oil level control.

Kind Regards

Stenzel[/color]
Stenzel - This is interesting information. I will try this.

Best,

Old 08-17-2021, 10:01 PM

Dip stick preparation...

Cold level check dip stick preparation.
  1. I use aluminium tube as it easier to ruff up the surface area and it gives a color contrast against the color of the oil.
  2. Apply some abrasion with a file to the tube in order to make the chalk stick.
  3. Apply chalk to the abraded area of the tune.
  4. After stick is dipped in the oil reservoir the oil level will show a distinct line against the chalk on the tube.
  5. Detail view of the line.
I also use the chalk on the red part of the MB original dip stick in order to better/easier see the exact line of the oil level on it.