Coupe/Roadster
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Downside to GT Cars' Low Production Numbers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-01-2021, 08:56 PM

Received 105 Likes on 66 Posts
'18 AMG GTC, '96 BMW 318i, '10 Audi Q5 (wife)
Downside to GT Cars' Low Production Numbers

First, I love my GTC and wouldn't trade it for anything, but there is a downside to these low production cars.
3 weeks ago at Sebring, I was enjoying some great laps with some new suspension parts - thanks Tigerflyboy. Then just before lunch on turn 17, a power steering hose let go. That was exciting.
I guess I was turning too much.
I drove 2 hours home with no ps, and since I am still under warranty, dropped it at the dealer. At first they said it would take 2-3 weeks to get a new hose from Germany. Now they are saying the hose has an ETA of Oct 15, which is a bummer since I was planning on Sebring again on Sept 24.
It can't cost more than a couple of $ to make it, but 2 months to send from Germany? Really? So it seems that some basic parts are not kept in stock here or in Germany. So as these cars age, we can all expect some wait times as parts wear and need replacing.
Old 09-01-2021, 09:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 538 Likes on 337 Posts
2024 AMG G63
Originally Posted by BucsFan
First, I love my GTC and wouldn't trade it for anything, but there is a downside to these low production cars.
3 weeks ago at Sebring, I was enjoying some great laps with some new suspension parts - thanks Tigerflyboy. Then just before lunch on turn 17, a power steering hose let go. That was exciting.
I guess I was turning too much.
I drove 2 hours home with no ps, and since I am still under warranty, dropped it at the dealer. At first they said it would take 2-3 weeks to get a new hose from Germany. Now they are saying the hose has an ETA of Oct 15, which is a bummer since I was planning on Sebring again on Sept 24.
It can't cost more than a couple of $ to make it, but 2 months to send from Germany? Really? So it seems that some basic parts are not kept in stock here or in Germany. So as these cars age, we can all expect some wait times as parts wear and need replacing.

Sorry for the lack,of parts. I am wondering if your dealer parts guy tried to see if any other dealers have the part in stock.

Also, rather than being “down” for 4 to 6 weeks I would have one fabricated so you can use the car and replace it with the genuine MB part when it shows up.

I hope things work out to your liking.

Jerry
The following 2 users liked this post by JSwan724:
BucsFan (09-02-2021), California John (09-03-2021)
Old 09-02-2021, 12:38 PM

Received 89 Likes on 65 Posts
Schwinn
Getting one custom made at a shop is the easy part, getting your dealer to take the old one off and give it to you to and putting on a aftermarket part under warranty is the hard part.

The following users liked this post:
BucsFan (09-02-2021)
Old 09-02-2021, 01:01 PM

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts
2023 G550, 2020 AMG GTR, 2014 S550, 2024 Denali 3500, 2023 Porsche GT3
Order it yourself out of UK or Germany and take it to the dealer. I have parts for various play toys shipped out of Europe on a regular basis and it's hassle free.

I would have no issue eating the costs as necessary. Can't be that expensive as compared to what you have ready out into the car.
BucsFan (09-02-2021)
Old 09-02-2021, 09:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 259 Likes on 211 Posts
95 SL600
Wait till the power steering pump goes bad from running for 2 hours without fluid. Maybe that’s a shared part with other models. Right now getting parts for anything is pretty rough. If it isn’t on the shelf it’s weeks away.
Old 09-02-2021, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by cdk4219
Wait till the power steering pump goes bad from running for 2 hours without fluid. Maybe that’s a shared part with other models. Right now getting parts for anything is pretty rough. If it isn’t on the shelf it’s weeks away.
That would suck. Unfortunately, no dealer in the US has the part. I have made some inquiries in Europe, but not optimistic.
Old 09-03-2021, 07:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

95 SL600
Originally Posted by BBS63
Getting one custom made at a shop is the easy part, getting your dealer to take the old one off and give it to you to and putting on a aftermarket part under warranty is the hard part.
Usually lines like these have proprietary ends with fittings that are not available. Usually a dealer item unless the car is mass produced and aftermarket takes over.
Old 09-03-2021, 09:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 701 Likes on 534 Posts
R Nine T
That would suck. Unfortunately, no dealer in the US has the part. I have made some inquiries in Europe, but not optimistic.
I know this is kind of a strange idea, but I would start hunting around in salvage yards for the pump and the hose at least to get you up and running.
The following 3 users liked this post by AMG 17GT:
Acta_Non_Verba (09-03-2021), BucsFan (09-03-2021), Case1906 (09-06-2021)
Old 09-03-2021, 10:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 879 Likes on 453 Posts
Bentley Continental GT; AMG GT
Originally Posted by AMG 17GT
I know this is kind of a strange idea, but I would start hunting around in salvage yards for the pump and the hose at least to get you up and running.
This is a very good alternative suggestion...

Expanding on it, a couple of other possibilities:

If you follow Copart, there are a number of accident damaged GTs that are often purchased for salvage parts. Maybe follow some of them, contact the buyer who might be parting the car out and would sell the steering components.
Wrecked, Used & Salvage amg gt for Auction at Copart Auto Auctions

Then a possible "long shot", a member here, Hendrik Koster, recently did a complete engine swap. He might have ended up with some duplicates like a PS hose....maybe....
BucsFan (09-03-2021)
Old 09-04-2021, 05:50 AM

Received 288 Likes on 114 Posts
2007 S65 AMG-Sold, 2007 SL55 P030 - 2016 GL450 - - 2017 AMG GTS - Sold - 2015 AMG S65
Sources I used...

Originally Posted by Acta_Non_Verba
This is a very good alternative suggestion...

Expanding on it, a couple of other possibilities:

Then a possible "long shot", a member here, Hendrik Koster, recently did a complete engine swap. He might have ended up with some duplicates like a PS hose....maybe....
I know these guys have AMG GT salvage cars in house (see attached) that they are parting one of them was the source for my replacement motor (with only 13k miles on it).

I bought my 2017 GTS in Phoenix, AZ in January it was sitting at the MB dealer with a seized engine the car had zero (0) body damage, it happen to be so that the PO kept on driving after (s/he) got a broken oil supply hose engine to tank. ( Go figure it takes all kinds)
Sources for AMG parts

Picked up in Phx, AZ

From AZ back to TX 24 round trip

Check with these guys they may have a hose for you. Any local hydraulic hose shop should be able to duplicate/repair your rubber HP of your hose for you by reusing the end fittings.
As I do help out a few people and myself that have MB's with ABC systems I get hoses redone like that if the dealer can't supply me right away.

Best H
BucsFan (09-04-2021)
Old 09-04-2021, 06:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Pacific Motors is a good source too. I have done business with them in the past, but it's been a few years now. I worked with John. He was very responsive, very helpful...+1

Pacific Motors Ebays a lot of its parts too

Last edited by Acta_Non_Verba; 09-04-2021 at 06:57 AM.
BucsFan (09-04-2021)
Old 09-04-2021, 07:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016-2018 MERCEDES C190 AMG GT/GTS POWER STEERING PRESSURE HOSE OIL PIPE OEM | eBay

Took a quick look - this might be your hose

Last edited by Acta_Non_Verba; 09-04-2021 at 07:05 AM.
AMG 17GT (09-04-2021)
Old 09-04-2021, 10:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

95 SL600
Originally Posted by Hendrik Koster
I know these guys have AMG GT salvage cars in house (see attached) that they are parting one of them was the source for my replacement motor (with only 13k miles on it).

I bought my 2017 GTS in Phoenix, AZ in January it was sitting at the MB dealer with a seized engine the car had zero (0) body damage, it happen to be so that the PO kept on driving after (s/he) got a broken oil supply hose engine to tank. ( Go figure it takes all kinds)
Sources for AMG parts

Picked up in Phx, AZ

From AZ back to TX 24 round trip

Check with these guys they may have a hose for you. Any local hydraulic hose shop should be able to duplicate/repair your rubber HP of your hose for you by reusing the end fittings.
As I do help out a few people and myself that have MB's with ABC systems I get hoses redone like that if the dealer can't supply me right away.

Best H
How do they reuse the end fittings when they are one time crimp fittings?
Old 09-04-2021, 11:23 AM

2007 S65 AMG-Sold, 2007 SL55 P030 - 2016 GL450 - - 2017 AMG GTS - Sold - 2015 AMG S65
Originally Posted by cdk4219
How do they reuse the end fittings when they are one time crimp fittings?
The metal tubing part extends inside the rubber hydraulic hose most hydraulic shops carry swage fittings (metric) that will fit over the hoses and have the right crimping tools to make it work.

The key to make it work to get the right angle aligned based on what can be seen/learned from the old hose as these HP hoses can not be twisted and if misaligned your fittings won't fit.
Properly marking the old hoses and metal parts and taking pictures of all the angles before the old hoses get cut of is important and cutting here means not cutting through but using a dremel wheel to slice through the old swage and along the length of the hose for a # of inches so the hose can pulled from the metal that is inserted in it. I.O.W the overall length of the old hose stays the same and the markings that where placed on it and the metal tubing can still be seen and use for re alignment of the new hose.

See the attached examples of the discovery of a hose that starts to leak, the replacement hose used that has a higher PSI rating than factory and picture of the new swag on the metal tube.

Early discovery can avoid breaking and getting stranded

5800 PSI hose

New hose and swage fitting

Example for those that want to play along while watching at home

Stenzel-Germany (09-04-2021)
Old 09-04-2021, 01:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

95 SL600
I see, getting a shop around here to do that would be the problem. Most will laugh at the idea. Makes sense and would be easier to do for either hybrid or obsolete hoses.
Old 09-04-2021, 04:58 PM

Received 444 Likes on 238 Posts
AMG GTR
Hi Hendrik,

Absolutely the best way. Better hoses and original connections / optics. At a fraction of the cost. If you carefully cut open the original compression sleeves and do not damage the connecting pieces, it is like a new part. That's exactly how I do it, even if the part is still available for delivery. However, I am also lucky that a buddy has a hydraulic shop.

Kind Regards

Stenzel
Old 09-04-2021, 05:09 PM

It might be. Thanks for the tip.
Old 09-04-2021, 08:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

It might be. Thanks for the tip.
BucsFan,

I hope this gets you going quickly. One other comment though, if in fact, you drove a while with the ps pump running dry as mentioned in post #5, I'd be a little concerned the pump is going to be fried as well. I hope not for you, but keep a "heads up" on it.

The hose can possibly get you going again, but a bad pump will at least be really noisy, or if the veins are destroyed, probably won't pump fluid.

Best of luck with it!
The following 3 users liked this post by Acta_Non_Verba:
BucsFan (09-05-2021), California John (09-04-2021), Stenzel-Germany (09-05-2021)
Old 09-05-2021, 07:39 PM

BucsFan,

I hope this gets you going quickly. One other comment though, if in fact, you drove a while with the ps pump running dry as mentioned in post #5, I'd be a little concerned the pump is going to be fried as well. I hope not for you, but keep a "heads up" on it.

The hose can possibly get you going again, but a bad pump will at least be really noisy, or if the veins are destroyed, probably won't pump fluid.

Best of luck with it!
That makes sense. My shop mechanic also suggested that might be an issue. I will speak to my service advisor to see if they what they say, and maybe handle it under warranty. If they want to wait to see, I might just get a salvage part and install it at my shop and skip the dealer.

Thanks everyone for the advice.

H
Old 09-21-2021, 07:26 PM

The high pressure hose came in early so that's done today. Unfortunately, my AC compressor is gone. I may have left the it on during some track days. Apparently, the pulley driving the PS and AC is the same, so if you track, make sure you turn the compressor off. I am hoping I can get it all done by Thursday for an open track day at Sebring on Friday. I am thinking about getting the car without the compressor being done, and just drive back and forth with no AC if it's not here by Thursday.

Anyway, I appreciate all of the advice. I really appreciate all of the good guys on this forum.
California John (09-21-2021)
Old 09-22-2021, 07:36 AM

The high pressure hose came in early so that's done today. Unfortunately, my AC compressor is gone. I may have left the it on during some track days. Apparently, the pulley driving the PS and AC is the same, so if you track, make sure you turn the compressor off. I am hoping I can get it all done by Thursday for an open track day at Sebring on Friday. I am thinking about getting the car without the compressor being done, and just drive back and forth with no AC if it's not here by Thursday.

Anyway, I appreciate all of the advice. I really appreciate all of the good guys on this forum.
Indeed the pulley driving the PS and AC are the same and by design there is a shear point (see attached) inside the AC clutch (in case the AC compressor gets seized up internally)
By design these swash plate compressors do not turn of and are always running your AC controller is just changing the angle of the swash plate inside the compressor and thereby vary the amount of Freon being pumped through the system.

In order for the PS pump to work there always needs to be an AC compressor installed on the shared drive with the AC clutch pulley as it is functioning as an idler (with the shear point intact) and it is driving the AC swash plate/shaft inside the compressor.

If for any unforeseen reasons the AC pulley (made of a hard plastic) is damaged ( not being able to function as an idler) you won't have a working PS.

So before you get out on the track you still should check to see that your non working AC compressor is in place together with a pulley that will idle.

Best H

This picture shows the broken shear points (3) on the AC swash plate drive shaft
The following 3 users liked this post by Hendrik Koster:
BucsFan (09-22-2021), Stenzel-Germany (09-22-2021), user33 (09-22-2021)
Old 09-22-2021, 03:09 PM

Received 384 Likes on 246 Posts
... so if you track, make sure you turn the compressor off. ...
Whoa ... that's a biggie! The best of the groups I've run with always runs "windows up" (as all should, for safety) so I often turn air conditioning on during track-day sessions.

Are you saying this is likely to lead to a failure? If so, why?
Old 09-22-2021, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by user33
Whoa ... that's a biggie! The best of the groups I've run with always runs "windows up" (as all should, for safety) so I often turn air conditioning on during track-day sessions.

Are you saying this is likely to lead to a failure? If so, why?
In the groups I track with at Sebring, Homestead, and PBIR, it's windows down for point by's if you choose to give them and most guys do. Daytona is the exception, it's too fast and sessions finish under lights, so windows up and turn signals.
The guidance from the AMG tech at MB is to turn off the compressor while on track to take stress off of it. Hendrik may be able to give a better explanation. My PS and AC failed together, so I will follow the advice.
I agree that it is a concern if you are tracking and the organizers want windows up. If I am the only one who has had a problem, maybe it's a low probability thing and you just keep doing what you do.
Old 09-22-2021, 04:58 PM

In the groups I track with at Sebring, Homestead, and PBIR, it's windows down for point by's if you choose to give them and most guys do. Daytona is the exception, it's too fast and sessions finish under lights, so windows up and turn signals.
The guidance from the AMG tech at MB is to turn off the compressor while on track to take stress off of it. Hendrik may be able to give a better explanation. My PS and AC failed together, so I will follow the advice.
I agree that it is a concern if you are tracking and the organizers want windows up. If I am the only one who has had a problem, maybe it's a low probability thing and you just keep doing what you do.
It's is correct to say that with the AC off there is less stress (the swash plate in side the AC compressor will be running at such an angle so there is no pressure build up) All I'm saying is that the pulley mounted on the AC compressor needs to be in good shape and being able to idle on the AC shaft even if the AC compressor inside is damaged or frozen.
Old 09-26-2021, 07:55 PM

Now MB wants photos of my compressor before they will cover replacement under warrantee. Assuming the worst, how would I appeal if they say not covered?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Downside to GT Cars' Low Production Numbers