Sponsored by:

2018 GTR Rear Differential Malfunction

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-03-2023, 11:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLC63S Coupe
2018 GTR Rear Differential Malfunction

My 2018 GTR was in race mode and doing 55 mph in 4th gear. Out of nowhere the car came out of gear and heard a whack noise from the rear end with an error electronic rear differential lock imperative. I pulled over and the car wouldn’t go in gear and was Revving up and down to 2k rpm. I shut the car off and then it wouldn’t start. Currently stuck on the side of the road waiting for a dolly truck to come since the car cannot be put into neutral.

Anyone ever experience this or have any advice.
Old 09-04-2023, 03:19 AM

Received 148 Likes on 115 Posts
2018 Diamond White GT-R
Set it on fire before help comes.
The following 2 users liked this post by 57 GTR:
Mtranch (09-04-2023), reignz (09-06-2023)
Old 09-04-2023, 03:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,938 Likes on 2,629 Posts
2019 C63CS
There was another thread not too long ago I thought from somebody with a similar issue. Prepare for the worst. Nobody seems to want to open up the GT's transaxle and rebuild it. Replacing it costs a fortune, because the transmission and locking differential are a single unit. Something likely disintegrated in yours.
Old 09-04-2023, 08:36 AM

GLC63S Coupe
Still waiting to get it towed because no one can get it into neutral and no one has dollys. I would agree something got blown up in the rear due to the crazy noise it made but I am hopeless for the time being.
Old 09-04-2023, 08:38 AM

GLC63S Coupe

Here is the code
Old 09-04-2023, 01:09 PM

Received 203 Likes on 107 Posts
Yikes. I had a nightmare of a situation like that with my old GTC roadster... However, I have come to learn that error is kinda generic. Could be a multitude of issues. The fact that you heard a sound is different than my case. Maybe yours is a mechanical failure.

A case or two has been due to a wire becoming chaffed that runs to the ediff. That happened in a 2018 GTR on this forum. Mine was the PTCU (powertrain control unit) was allegedly the cause. I never got around to testing it cause I had my car bought back by then.

Here is my thread https://mbworld.org/forums/coupe-roa...ock-error.html
Here is a thread about the wire chaffing https://mbworld.org/forums/coupe-roa...n-t-towed.html - FYI this guy mentioned issues with Towing as well. I would read his thread.
Old 09-04-2023, 03:51 PM

GLC63S Coupe
Originally Posted by ChargedMB
Yikes. I had a nightmare of a situation like that with my old GTC roadster... However, I have come to learn that error is kinda generic. Could be a multitude of issues. The fact that you heard a sound is different than my case. Maybe yours is a mechanical failure.

A case or two has been due to a wire becoming chaffed that runs to the ediff. That happened in a 2018 GTR on this forum. Mine was the PTCU (powertrain control unit) was allegedly the cause. I never got around to testing it cause I had my car bought back by then.

Here is my thread https://mbworld.org/forums/coupe-roa...ock-error.html
Here is a thread about the wire chaffing https://mbworld.org/forums/coupe-roa...n-t-towed.html - FYI this guy mentioned issues with Towing as well. I would read his thread.

appreciate posting the thread here.
Old 09-04-2023, 03:55 PM

GLC63S Coupe
Update: went to check on the car since it was still stuck on the side of the road waiting for a truck with dolly’s…. Car decided to start and had a check engine light but no alert of a rear differential malfunction. Drove it home with no issue and will be bringing to Mercedes tomorrow.

Still very concerned with the noise we heard, let’s see what Mercedes says….
Old 09-05-2023, 08:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking for 2017-19 GTS
This sounds JUST LIKE what happened to me in my 09 M5 SMG last year. When these trannys decide to think they know what is supposed to happen next, they sometimes throw a "whack" at it. After my flatbed trip it stayed inoperative for over 24hrs. Then started and threw no codes. My tranny fluid was low which isn't supposed to be a thing. Unbelievable. I am lurking, as a GT is what I want as my next beast.
Old 09-05-2023, 06:59 PM

GLC63S Coupe
Originally Posted by thertner
This sounds JUST LIKE what happened to me in my 09 M5 SMG last year. When these trannys decide to think they know what is supposed to happen next, they sometimes throw a "whack" at it. After my flatbed trip it stayed inoperative for over 24hrs. Then started and threw no codes. My tranny fluid was low which isn't supposed to be a thing. Unbelievable. I am lurking, as a GT is what I want as my next beast.
Forgot to point out that I was in Manual during this
Old 09-06-2023, 12:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 127 Likes on 76 Posts
AMG GTBS, AMG GTR Pro, AMG GT, C63 AMG, Porsche Panamera 4S, RX-7 FC Turbo II
Originally Posted by Mtranch
Update: went to check on the car since it was still stuck on the side of the road waiting for a truck with dolly’s…. Car decided to start and had a check engine light but no alert of a rear differential malfunction. Drove it home with no issue and will be bringing to Mercedes tomorrow.

Still very concerned with the noise we heard, let’s see what Mercedes says….
I’m very interested to hear what Merc has to say. Please let us know.
Old 09-06-2023, 06:10 AM

GLC63S Coupe
Update

Latest update…. Once I got the car to my house after it magically starting, it sat in the same position waiting for the tow truck. Truck came yesterday and the car decided not to start. Turned the car on and off, locked it, got out got back in etc. finally after an hour the car decided to start which was a blessing since my driveway is gravel and the skids would be dangerous to use if the car wouldn’t start.

Left the car running on the lift all the way to the dealer and they now have it and will be diagnosing…
The following users liked this post:
ChargedMB (09-06-2023)
Old 09-06-2023, 06:19 AM

GLC63S Coupe
Here was the car pulled over on the side of the road when it came out of gear. Once I shut the car at the end of the video is when it decides to not start back up
Attached Files
File Type: mov
FullSizeRender.MOV (17.90 MB, 31 views)
Old 09-06-2023, 07:29 PM

Received 203 Likes on 107 Posts
Never had that happen with my error. For me, the the engine would shut down completely without any warning. Hopefully the dealership will get you a solid answer from the logs.
Old 09-07-2023, 03:29 AM

Received 148 Likes on 115 Posts
2018 Diamond White GT-R
Its haunted, sell it!
Old 09-08-2023, 12:34 PM

Received 108 Likes on 74 Posts
AMG GT C Edition 50
Originally Posted by Mtranch
Here was the car pulled over on the side of the road when it came out of gear. Once I shut the car at the end of the video is when it decides to not start back up
Sorry for your experience. Nightmare scenario for all of us. These are complex beasts with complex problems from time to time. I'd patiently wait for the diagnosis before you give up on her - hopefully they get it right the first pass . . . and that you have a warranty to cover the costs.