Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

how to clean these rims..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-29-2005, 02:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
e500
Question how to clean these rims..

does anybody know how to clean these rims? i've already tried the usual wheel cleaner [useless], then i tried wheel metal polish cream [help a bit], and i'd even tried wd-40 but i still can't clean it. i had been rubbing this thing for hours and the dirt just won't come off. these are some pic AFTER i cleaned it for hours :

anybody has suggestions to a stronger rim cleaner? help is appreciated thanks !
Old 11-29-2005, 04:44 AM

C220 CDI
I'd say rim refurbishment!!!

dont think they will come up.
Old 11-29-2005, 08:19 AM

e500
thanks for the reply! i'm still wondering if i could clean it by myselves.. but if it's impossible then i have to go to a store. anybody has other opinion?
Old 11-29-2005, 03:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'03 Yukon XL Denali, '06 Eclipse GS
Try NEVR-DULL?
Old 11-29-2005, 03:54 PM

That will need some serious work!
IF it was mine I would do the following:
1.Wet-Sand with 1500 grit sandpaper.(Once ALL of the oxidation is gone)
2. Polish aluminum back to a high gloss(Never-dull,Wenol, or another metal polish)
3 Have it re sprayed with a clear coat.
Best advise I can give.
The oxidation has pitted the metal and also worked its way under the clear coat.
Old 11-29-2005, 04:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500/W220/2000
If you want to try it yourself there are dozens of sites w/ excellent products to help. Check a few of these:
http://search.store.yahoo.com/cgi-bi...=wheel+cleaner
http://search.store.yahoo.com/cgi-bi...atalog=autopia
http://search.store.yahoo.com/cgi-bi...2Fnsearch.html
http://search.store.yahoo.com/cgi-bi...=wheel+cleaner
Old 11-29-2005, 05:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes-Benz w124
Originally Posted by jonw440
2. Polish aluminum back to a high gloss(Never-dull,Wenol, or another metal polish)
Best advise I can give.
The oxidation has pitted the metal and also worked its way under the clear coat.

Ok, The above advice given should not be used especially if you have no wetsanding experience. What it looks like is stubborn brake dust on the lip. that can be solved by getting some detailing clay with plenty of lube and rubbing back and forth. This is where my old used peces of clay go to. then after that, use NXT all metal polish to shine up the lip IF and only if the rims are not clear coated. But if they do have a clear coat, just use a paint cleaner on it to remove to oxidation such as ColorX. That will take care of the lip. Next the center, i don't know whether it is painted or anodized alum ( i doubt it ) or just plain uncoated aluminum. I need better shots to see the damage done to the center. If it is un clear coated aluminum, just use a regular non acidic wheel cleaner and nxt metal polish. I have a picture showing what the polish can do.. amazing stuff it is.

Last edited by AMG_Fred; 11-29-2005 at 06:07 PM.
Old 11-29-2005, 06:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500/W220/2000
Hey: I think you are getting more advice than you need or want. Get a good wheel cleaner and a good wheel brush and go to it. Whatever remains you should take a picture of and post it on the forum at http://autopia.org
Old 11-29-2005, 07:39 PM

e500
Originally Posted by LnkPrkSoldier
Ok, The above advice given should not be used especially if you have no wetsanding experience. What it looks like is stubborn brake dust on the lip. that can be solved by getting some detailing clay with plenty of lube and rubbing back and forth. This is where my old used peces of clay go to. then after that, use NXT all metal polish to shine up the lip IF and only if the rims are not clear coated. But if they do have a clear coat, just use a paint cleaner on it to remove to oxidation such as ColorX. That will take care of the lip. Next the center, i don't know whether it is painted or anodized alum ( i doubt it ) or just plain uncoated aluminum. I need better shots to see the damage done to the center. If it is un clear coated aluminum, just use a regular non acidic wheel cleaner and nxt metal polish. I have a picture showing what the polish can do.. amazing stuff it is.
hey thanks all for all the reply, really apreciate it !

the lip and outer part is not clear coated, it's chrome and the center part is plain uncoated aluminium, the center part is not the problem, i can clean it easily.

on area around the lip i will definetely try the detailing clay. but my biggest problem is the dirt around the inner part that won't come off after i clean it with wheel cleaner and metal polish [see pic. #3]

Best advise I can give.
about wet-sanding : wont it destroy the chrome?

Hey: I think you are getting more advice than you need or want. Get a good wheel cleaner and a good wheel brush and go to it. Whatever remains you should take a picture of and post it on the forum at http://autopia.org
great site, very helpful !

ok i'll start with the clay first now, thanks again guys !

Last edited by donkhani; 11-29-2005 at 07:52 PM.
Old 11-29-2005, 09:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500/W220/2000
about wet-sanding : wont it destroy the chrome?

Yes
Old 11-30-2005, 02:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes
If those are HRE's the lip isn't chrome, it's high polished. So you don't have to worry about it. I might be worth it to take it to a shop and spend a few dollars instead of wasting a lot of time trying to clean it off.

By the way, what happened to the wheels? Did you leave them in storage?
Old 12-01-2005, 02:40 AM

Airbus
might be worth it to take it to a shop and spend a few dollars instead of wasting a lot of time trying to clean it off.
Agree maybe try to clay them first like the others mentioned. From the pictures they look like they are pitted and the brake dust imbedded. May be worth the $$ of a refinish.Good luck.