Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Zaino on Brilliant Silver: not supposed to be too reflective?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-25-2003, 08:33 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Zaino on Brilliant Silver: not supposed to be too reflective?

Hi all,

I have 4 coats of Z2 on my c230, and the car isn't remarkably shinier than when I first bought it. It is really smooth, but the shine is no where near as much as a 1995 red sl that we have, which has had tons of sun damage, and yet shines like a baby's behind with only 2 coats of zaino.

Anyone else zaino their silver car? and how was the result. The one thing that you do get after zainoing is really reflective metal in the metallic paint.
Old 11-25-2003, 10:00 AM

Re: Zaino on Brilliant Silver: not supposed to be too reflective?

Originally posted by Kompressor4u2nv
shines like a baby's behind with only 2 coats of zaino.
Is this a verified and tested method? Honestly I have yet to splurge and purchase zaino. I htink i need some more convincing that it will be worth it on my silver c.
Old 11-25-2003, 10:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
Re: Zaino on Brilliant Silver: not supposed to be too reflective?

Originally posted by Kompressor4u2nv
Hi all,

I have 4 coats of Z2 on my c230, and the car isn't remarkably shinier than when I first bought it. It is really smooth, but the shine is no where near as much as a 1995 red sl that we have, which has had tons of sun damage, and yet shines like a baby's behind with only 2 coats of zaino.

Anyone else zaino their silver car? and how was the result. The one thing that you do get after zainoing is really reflective metal in the metallic paint.
you have to remember, you can't get much better than a BRAND NEW car with a BRAND NEW paint job! The SL is a 95 and is red, therefore you WILL notice more of a difference because of its flat color (red and black shine the most) and because it is old and possibly dirty or neglected. Who said zaino on silver doesn't shine?
Old 11-25-2003, 01:10 PM
Super Moderator

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
I notice a much improved reflection and depth to my paint with Zaino, even when it was new.
Old 11-25-2003, 01:14 PM
Almost a Member!

That IS *does* look great How many coats do you have on it?

But, when I get around to taking a picture of the C with probably 5-6 coats by mid december, you won't see anything but the flash :p

My question to you all: have you cleaned the bottom of the hood or engine?

Adam: What colour is yours? Also, did you clay before applying Z2? I didn't clay because the car was only 3 weeks old, but I did dawn twice.

I read your post on cleaning the wheel wells Al, but I might use a spray bottle with dawn; have you tried this method?

Last edited by Kompressor4u2nv; 11-25-2003 at 01:19 PM.
Old 11-25-2003, 02:11 PM
Super Moderator

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
My car is Brilliant Silver as well. I did Clay, even though the vehicle was new. I wanted to make sure to get off anything the dealer may have applied which is a critical step.
Old 11-25-2003, 05:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

marta
Re: Re: Zaino on Brilliant Silver: not supposed to be too reflective?

Originally posted by AlBoston
you have to remember, you can't get much better than a BRAND NEW car with a BRAND NEW paint job! The SL is a 95 and is red, therefore you WILL notice more of a difference because of its flat color (red and black shine the most) and because it is old and possibly dirty or neglected. Who said zaino on silver doesn't shine?

Dang, that's a clean car! And I wouldn't expect anything less from you either!
Old 11-25-2003, 05:42 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
16 GLE400, 16 eGolf, 15 M3, 13 328i, 06 S430, 98 E320
since zaino offer so many products, which product (s) you guys think is best for a silver car?

Pls note that i have not wax both of my cars in over a year but they are almost always parked indoor. Also, the last time i waxed i used the cheap turtle wax spray wax due to laziness....any recommendations would be appreciated...thanks!
Old 11-26-2003, 10:40 AM
Almost a Member!

You have a few options with zaino. Lets start at the beginning:

You *MUST* dawn you car at least once or twice. Using dawn to wash your car will remove most of the wax and other buildup on the paint.

Now you have the option of claybaring (Z-16 or Z-17 I think). You basically rub a lightly soapy sponge or wash mit on an area to get it lubricated, then rub the clay bar on the area. If you purchase the Zaino claybar, it will have instructions, as should most other claybars.

If you claybar, you should wash your car again with any soap. Zaino recommends using their product (z-7) of course, but you could use any. If you just dawn (like I did) then you don't really need to wash again. This is up to you of course.

Now, after claybaring/dawning/washing, make sure EVERYTHING IS SUPER DRY. Try to leave the car out in the sun for say 15-30 minutes after drying, and make sure you get all of the areas water *might* be hiding.

Now here are your options with products: There is a product called Z-1 and a product called ZFX. Z-1 is called Zaino Polish lok, and it should be applied to the vehicle before applying any of the polishes (the polishes are Z2 and Z5 for any clear coated car, we'll get back to the differences between Z-2 and Z-5). The Z-1 is applied like a polish/wax, and after it dries to a haze, then you're set to apply the polish. DO NOT remove Z-1. Also, the tip Sal Zaino offers when applying the polish/polish lok is to use back and forth (ie from bumper to bumper) strokes while applying the polish on any surfaces facing upwards, and to use up and down (ie roof to undercarriage) strokes when applying to any side surfaces.

All right, ZFX is the other option. ZFX is a concentrated blue liquid, and replaces Z1. If you use ZFX in lieu of Z1, what you do is add ZFX to a mixing bottle that contains either Z2 or Z5. A few drops is all it takes for an ounce of polish. Shake well, and then you now can apply Z2 or Z5 to the car.

Z2 is the best polish, and should always be applied as your last coat. Z5 is a polish that is designed to remove/fill in the swirl marks on the car. If you have a lot of swirl marks, then buy the Z5 and the Z2. Apply the Z5 w/ ZFX, the same way you would apply the Z1, using broad strokes, evenly, and pretty sparingly. It is concentrated stuff!. You should see lines of polish on your car, not anything near to the way wax would reflect quite hazily.

Once you apply either Z5 and then Z2, or just Z2, let the car dry. Zaino recommends applying the product at as high a temperature as possible to decrease drying time. The test to see if its dry is to run your finger over the paint, if it leaves a smear, its not dry, but if it comes off, you're ready to buff.

To buff, take a microfiber cotton towel (white usually), and lightly remove the polish. Its not so much buffing as it is just removing the Z2, and the idea often used is to let the towel do the work. Once you've removed the polish, then apply Z6, which is the ultra gloss enhancer. To do this, spray Z6 directly on the paint, and buff/wipe the Z6 around. Once you've Z6'ed you're done!

Now, you're going to probably be addicted to zainoing, and will want to zaino all the time...That, I can't take responsibility for. I find its best to wait if you use Z1 at least till the next morning or at least 6 hours to apply another coat. If you use ZFX you can apply another coat after you're done with the Z6.

So in summary, buy Z1 or ZFX, Z2 (finishing polish) and Z5 (swirlmarks) if you need it, Z6 (the gloss enhancer), Z7 (the car wash if you don't have a good car wash), Z9 and Z10 (I think the numbers are right, this is the leather cleaner and the leather in a bottle, the products work great, if you don't use something else already), and the Z16 claybar. Also, a few extra applicator pads wouldn't hurt. The Kit is for sale, and includes everything you need besides the leather cleaner/leather in a bottle, but it comes with ZFX not Z-1.

It should cost you around 100$ with shipping for all of this, but it'll be a great investment
Old 11-29-2003, 01:43 PM

2001 CLK430 Cab.
I'll just start out by saying right upfront -- I hate car washing and waxing. But my last car was a new 98 torch red Corvette. That is when I heard about Zaino. A lot of Corvette and Viper owners use it.

I know there are those who make a science out of car washing and when they explain the Zaino process it appears too complicated and cumbersome for most people, especially those like me. I kept about six to eight coats of Zaino on my Corvette. But I did perhaps take a few shortcuts that seem to have no effect on the shine. I now have a 2001 Mercedes C. L. K. 430 Cabriolet, Brilliant Silver. The main reason I've got the Silver color is because, in my opinion, it looks the cleanest with the littlest amount of washing. Compare a Silver car to a black or dark colored car and you know what I mean. Since I had Zaino remaining I just simply continued using it on the Mercedes.

My basic method was simple. I washed the car with Dawn dishwashing liquid as completely as I could and dryed it thoroughly. I did not use the clay bar because that seems like too much work for me. I first put the POLISH-LOC on the entire car (you do not have to wipe this off). I then put the new car polish on the car. After letting dry for several hours I use the recommended all American cotton towels to wipe off the polish. This is the same method I used in my Corvette. Both cars shined as much as any car I ever saw and I was extremely happy with the comments I received from other people.

I also used the detailing spray product from Zaino after washing my car every couple weeks. This kept the car shining better than any car wax I had ever tried before. About every six to nine months months, I would wash the car with Dawn and reapply the loc and the wax. My car was always in perfect condition. Because my Mercedes is Silver it doesn't shine is highly as my torch red Corvette but it does shine as good as anybody else's car. This may sound like a commercial but Zaino is the best polish/wax I have ever found. Don S.
Old 11-30-2003, 10:39 AM
Almost a Member!

Thats the one thing I never figured out; Should you apply polish lok everytime you add another coat of Z2/Z5?

Also, how often did you dawn don

But your method is as good as any, I just wanted to give him a step by step of what to buy and how to apply it. its really easy once you start doing it
Old 11-30-2003, 10:47 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Oh I think I might have something? Just recently I got zaino and when i first applied it, I was not impressed at ALL! It sucked. Period. No more shine then the previous Meguires stuff. Screw this. I promptly went to sleep because it was getting late.

Wake up another day, go downstairs to go for my morning run, and WOW does that car look so good! I haven't taken pics yet but I promise you, give the car time, seems like that's what Zaino needs or something. And after one wash, it gets shinier. That's what Ali told me and it sure is working!
Old 12-01-2003, 08:28 PM

06 Infiniti FX35, 07 SL55
How do you know if you have clear coating? I have a 2003 SL500 in pewter. Does that have clear coating? I want to be sure and get the right kind of zaino product.

Thanks

Paul
Old 12-01-2003, 11:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
Originally posted by prsmith777
How do you know if you have clear coating? I have a 2003 SL500 in pewter. Does that have clear coating? I want to be sure and get the right kind of zaino product.

Thanks

Paul
all mercedes benz paints are clearcoated and have been that way for years.
Old 12-02-2003, 06:47 PM

06 Infiniti FX35, 07 SL55
Thanks. Now to order the Zaino.
Old 12-03-2003, 12:22 AM

02 C32
Another good website: http://lazaino.com/ApplyZaino.htm
Old 12-03-2003, 11:05 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally posted by prsmith777

Thanks

Paul
You sure do have a clear coat!