Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Just came back with Dealership with PERMA PLATE

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-18-2003, 09:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W209
Just came back with Dealership with PERMA PLATE

Well, after one week of owning my car, i decided to go with the perma plate. My sales rep gave me $100 off so it was affordable. It looks really nice and shinny. I have a 04 CLK petwer silver, and the perma plate on the car really brings out the color. The dealer said that the perma plate will prevent any swirls, color defect, water stains, and the warrenty is up to 4 years i believe. I thought that its was a good idea to add because if i were to occur any of those problems, the dealer told me to bring it back and they would take care of me. I just wanted to know if any mercedes owner has experienced with Perma Plate, and any comments would be helpful. Did you like it or dislike it? Thanks a lot.
Old 12-22-2003, 03:12 AM

2003 CLK 320
I think perma plate is just another scam by auto dealers to make a huge profit. It is not much better than any other synthetic product like Zaino and to have the warranty apply, I think they require that the car is washed and waxed on a regular basis so what is the point?
Old 12-26-2003, 10:50 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
K Car
You say you got $100 off. How much did you pay???

I agree with calboy. Zaino is better and much cheaper, even if you had to hire someone else to apply it.
Old 12-26-2003, 01:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W209
It was $500 for me. The only reason why i decide to go with it is becuase of the warrenty. If i ever see any swirls, water stains or any color defect of ageing, the dealer told me to bring it agian and they will redo the entire car. I really like the product. for an example after it rained yesterday, and i left my car in the garage, this morning, my car had no water stains, or any streaking. It looked as if it was brand new. I agree i with you and saying we can just do it ourselfs and its a lot cheaper, but the reason why i choose this product is because of the warrenty which is 5 years. That already is worth my money. Its just my $0.02 opinion. On of my friend who has the perma plate already for the past year, his car looks amazing, it feels as if the car is still polish and new from the dealer. Its a good product and i am sure you can do it cheaper. Thanks
Old 12-30-2003, 06:12 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
K Car
Originally posted by BrabusClK04
It was $500 for me. The only reason why i decide to go with it is becuase of the warrenty. If i ever see any swirls, water stains or any color defect of ageing, the dealer told me to bring it agian and they will redo the entire car. I really like the product. for an example after it rained yesterday, and i left my car in the garage, this morning, my car had no water stains, or any streaking. It looked as if it was brand new. I agree i with you and saying we can just do it ourselfs and its a lot cheaper, but the reason why i choose this product is because of the warrenty which is 5 years. That already is worth my money. Its just my $0.02 opinion. On of my friend who has the perma plate already for the past year, his car looks amazing, it feels as if the car is still polish and new from the dealer. Its a good product and i am sure you can do it cheaper. Thanks
My wife's last car had this product (or a similar product) which we were able to get the dealer to throw in for free. It did keep the car looking good. It was a deep blue/purple color. The shine was nice, but it was not as good as if we would have used zaino on it. But it did stay consistent for the 3 years that we had the car.
Old 01-11-2004, 11:18 PM

2007 E63, 2007 BMW 335i Coupe & 1991 Honda Accord
So, can I use Zaino if I have the permaplate or will it take it off?
Old 01-13-2004, 02:50 PM

2013 S550
Originally posted by Nanky
So, can I use Zaino if I have the permaplate or will it take it off?
I called and spoke with Sal Zaino about this when I got by first E. I had the car for about a month when I called, and he said the Perma Plate was probably mostly gone by then as it's a pretty cheap wax. He advised that I clay the car and then do the Zaino treatment.

I did as he advised and am very pleased with Zaino, except for the time & effort to apply/maintain. I am using it on my new E as well.
Old 01-13-2004, 02:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1951 Caterpiller D6
The only thing good about PP is the guarantee. You can get a "free" wax job about once a year with it but at $500 up front, this works out to be about $170 each. The first one is wasted since the dealer waxes the car anyway prior to delivery. I don't know about you but I can have my car detailed (clayed, waxed, tires dressed, interior vacuumed and treated) with the same results for about $75. I'd much rather do this every 3-4 months instead.
Old 01-21-2004, 11:14 AM

2002 C 32
I agree with E55AMG99.
Got the PP when I purchased the car, seemed like a good idea at the time

My car is black and will be 2 years old in a couple of months. The first year was great, but now I notice some swirl marks building up and the paint isn't as smooth. I complained to the dealer during service"B" and he said he'll give me a full detail (worth $175) for free (I think I already paid up front ) after I fill out a MB servay.

Anyway, I'll be complaining a bit more often from now on to make the $500 I paid worth it! BTW, my dealer also gave me a $100 off, I now think that is their normal procedure to get customers to bit on this product.
Old 01-21-2004, 02:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W209
Originally posted by MK899
I agree with E55AMG99.
Got the PP when I purchased the car, seemed like a good idea at the time

My car is black and will be 2 years old in a couple of months. The first year was great, but now I notice some swirl marks building up and the paint isn't as smooth. I complained to the dealer during service"B" and he said he'll give me a full detail (worth $175) for free (I think I already paid up front ) after I fill out a MB servay.

Anyway, I'll be complaining a bit more often from now on to make the $500 I paid worth it! BTW, my dealer also gave me a $100 off, I now think that is their normal procedure to get customers to bit on this product.
Yes, thats is what I will be doing. I think i will go visit the dealer every 6 months and get like a detail job.