Diesel Forum Forum for Diesel engine vehicle related discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any News On S320 CDI Or S420 CDI For US?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-01-2006, 12:21 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'07 ML320 CDI,'05 320 CDI; '01 S430,'98 VITO 110D
Any News On S320 CDI Or S420 CDI For US?

Anymore new info on the S Diesels?
Old 11-01-2006, 10:37 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1982 300D VNT, 1980 240D 3.0T, 1982 300TD
I doubt we will see an S-class diesel or any car/SUV with the V8 CDI before 2010.
Old 11-06-2006, 02:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2006 E320 CDi, 2008 3/4 Ton Suburban, 2007 "rice rickshaw" Accord 5 speed
Mercedes Benz will not sell us a good diesel

Originally Posted by niunio
Anymore new info on the S Diesels?
The reason is simple. The new diesels are too good (e.g. the V-8 twin turbo diesel puts out 300+ horses and 400-500 foot pound of torque at low low rpms) and would compete with the S-550. Who would want to pay more for similar performance in a car that looks virtually the same? Furthermore gas is too cheap in North America compared with Europe and most buyers of MB do not want the "stigma" of driving oil burners.

The slow selling previous diesel S-classes also discourage MB to bring more in.
Old 11-07-2006, 10:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Late Built 2005 W-211 E-320 CDI
Exclamation Not So

At least in this neck-of-the-woods.

You'd really have to see it to believe it, but the numbers of 20 some odd years old S
class 300 Turbo diesels still on the road here in Southern California says differently.

Many have several hundred thousand miles on their odometers. People just keep on driving 'em.

Many still look as sharp as they did when they were brand new.

If MBZ would bring 'em in, I am sure they would sell. I'd be the first in line.

Originally Posted by harkgar
The slow selling previous diesel S-classes also discourage MB to bring more in.
Old 11-07-2006, 11:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

breathe diesel fumes & soot tree-huggers!

Hey man,

I am not diesel-bashing at all. I love the mega-torque engines, their black smoke and the clattering. If you are stuck you can pour in anything to keep going until the next gas station. The fuel is not flammable and you can always keep a few quarts of cheap oil in your trunk to avoid running out. The older MB diesels unlike the latest Bluetecs were built to last and unencumbered by the latest trash (read filters and converters).

The best MB diesels are the 2005-2006 E-320 CDI straight sixes. High tech enough but without all the tree-hugging garbage.
Old 11-09-2006, 01:43 AM

Hey man,

I am not diesel-bashing at all. I love the mega-torque engines, their black smoke and the clattering. If you are stuck you can pour in anything to keep going until the next gas station. The fuel is not flammable and you can always keep a few quarts of cheap oil in your trunk to avoid running out. The older MB diesels unlike the latest Bluetecs were built to last and unencumbered by the latest trash (read filters and converters).

The best MB diesels are the 2005-2006 E-320 CDI straight sixes. High tech enough but without all the tree-hugging garbage.
Only someone who's never seen the cumulative effect of years of diesel sootage on cities and the costs of dealing with it could say that. It's not about tree-hugging, it's about being able to breathe in a metropolitan area and not having to spend an ever-loving fortune every decade to keep the buildings clean.

Kudos to M-B for developing the Bluetec CDI engines. With Audi/BMW/M-B/VW partnering on them, they should do quite well.

I suspect that a V-8 TD from some marque will arrive within 2-3 years. But it will probably be in the E first. American buyers need to learn to love diesels gradually, and I doubt a diesel S-Class would sell especially well until people are more used to them. A diesel S320 CDI would probably come across as underpowered for the S-Class, though, at least in the States. It's the same reason they almost never sell gasoline V-6s in that model anymore, either. The V-8 TD should solve that.
Old 11-11-2006, 01:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 199 Likes on 178 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Originally Posted by Green E-300 DT
You'd really have to see it to believe it, but the numbers of 20 some odd years old S class 300 Turbo diesels still on the road here in Southern California says differently.
Bit of history:

The USA was the ONLY market in the world to have S-class diesels during the years you suggest. It was because Merc didn't have the gas engines to meet USA emissions specs.

Diesels were considered a joke in a car in the class of the S-class in the rest of the world.

It's only with the implementation of CDI technology plus some political correctness stuff that diesels have become acceptable in S-class cars.

Mercedes Enthusiast magazine recently ran a comparison of diesel-vs-gas Mercedes and concluded the diesels really didn't become the better choice until the late 1990s.
Old 11-12-2006, 04:20 PM

Talking Not True

We have those years of all classes of gas powered machines still running here in Southern California.

When I leave the Golden State, the numbers of MBZ cars are simply not on the roads.

Here, although one does not see as many older S class gassers still running around, they are here.

They did and still do meet those stringent smog requirements that we are infamous for!

Old 11-13-2006, 02:54 PM

Received 258 Likes on 164 Posts
Originally Posted by lkchris
Bit of history:

The USA was the ONLY market in the world to have S-class diesels during the years you suggest. It was because Merc didn't have the gas engines to meet USA emissions specs.

Diesels were considered a joke in a car in the class of the S-class in the rest of the world.

It's only with the implementation of CDI technology plus some political correctness stuff that diesels have become acceptable in S-class cars.
Where did you hear that?? Diesels and small-displacement motors have always been more popular in every other market for all MB models...including the S-class. And there has never been a year without a gasoline powered S-class in the US.

The E-class was not available with gasoline power in the US from ~1981-1985, but that's because the 2.8l gasoline motor had similar power to the 3.0 turbo-diesel and poorer fuel economy.
Old 11-13-2006, 05:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 199 Likes on 178 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Mercedes Enthusiast magazine.

Repeat: there were NO diesel S-classes anywhere but the USA until either W140 or more likely W220.

The 2.8 gasoline engine was quite strangled to meet USA emissions specs and would have created a "gas guzzler" tax on cars with it if imported.

Last edited by lkchris; 11-13-2006 at 05:22 PM.
Old 11-13-2006, 05:59 PM

Question Say What

You don't seem to know when to quit.

No 280Es here in the greater Los Angeles area from '81 through '85? Are you blind?

You've never seen a 280 CE? My my.

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Where did you hear that?? Diesels and small-displacement motors have always been more popular in every other market for all MB models...including the S-class. And there has never been a year without a gasoline powered S-class in the US.

The E-class was not available with gasoline power in the US from ~1981-1985, but that's because the 2.8l gasoline motor had similar power to the 3.0 turbo-diesel and poorer fuel economy.
Old 11-13-2006, 06:14 PM

You don't seem to know when to quit.

No 280Es here in the greater Los Angeles area from '81 through '85? Are you blind?
It's you that doesn't know when to quit.

Did you see the "~" before "~1981-1985", or are YOU blind? That symbol means APPROXIMATELY.

We were discussing the S-class specifically, remember? 1981 was when the diesel first appeared in the S-class here. Yes, 1982 was the first year without a gasoline powered E-class. Didn't think I needed to go to such detail, but apparently you get your panties in a bunch otherwise.
Old 11-13-2006, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by lkchris
Mercedes Enthusiast magazine.

Repeat: there were NO diesel S-classes anywhere but the USA until either W140 or more likely W220.

The 2.8 gasoline engine was quite strangled to meet USA emissions specs and would have created a "gas guzzler" tax on cars with it if imported.
Your magazine may be correct that the diesel S-class was introduced in the US before other markets, but I doubt it was due to anybody outside of the US considering the diesel a joke, since there have always been underpowered 6-cylinder S-classes available in other markets.

My point was that the diesel wasn't introduced in the US because there were no gasoline engines that would pass emissions, since there has always been a gasoline-powered S-class in the US.

The 2.8 was indeed dropped across the US MB line-up, but it wasn't due to gas-guzzler taxes...it was just too strangled by emissions equipment, to the point that the 3.0 turbo-diesel made more sense.
Old 11-13-2006, 06:59 PM

Thumbs down Wrong Again

You simply amaze all of us.

You do not know when to shut up! I love it when you make specific statements.
They show us how uneducated you truely are.

You have never seen a '78, '79, or '80 S-class (W-126) Turbodiesel sedan?
Where have you been looking? Oh I know, you have your empty head stuck in the sand.
Either that, or are you to young to have been interested back then?
There were also S-280s as well as S-450s in the last years of the older S-classes. (Late '73 through 1980.)
And lets not forget the 6.9L hotrods. 'Course, you've never heard of that one either, have you?

Also I guess the owners of those new '82 E-280s there at AutoStiegler on Ventura Blvd. in Encino
where I was having my one year old '81 240D serviced in early 1982 took the number 280 off
of someone else's cars and stuck them on their diesels. Only problem with that line
of thinking would be that most complained of terrible fuel economy.

BTW, how old were you in 1982? [I]Gotcha[!/I]

What a piece of work you are.

The only reason I point out all your glaring errors is that some people
that read your posts might actually believe the lies you print.

Stop talking about supposed facts for which you don't have a clue.

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
It's you that doesn't know when to quit.

Did you see the "~" before "~1981-1985", or are YOU blind? That symbol means APPROXIMATELY.

We were discussing the S-class specifically, remember? 1981 was when the diesel first appeared in the S-class here. Yes, 1982 was the first year without a gasoline powered E-class. Didn't think I needed to go to such detail, but apparently you get your panties in a bunch otherwise.
Old 11-13-2006, 07:20 PM

You have never seen a '78, '79, or '80 S-class (W-126) Turbodiesel sedan?
Where have you been looking? Oh I know, you have your empty head stuck in the sand.
I stand corrected. The S-class diesel was introduced in 1978.

Either that, or are you to young to have been interested back then? There were also S-280s as well as S-450s in the last years of the older S-classes. (Late '73 through 1980.)
And lets not forget the 6.9L hotrods. 'Course, you've never heard of that one either, have you?
Very well aware of them, thank you very much. I never said anything to the contrary.

Also I guess the owners of those new '82 E-280s there at AutoStiegler on Ventura Blvd. in Encino
where I was having my one year old '81 240D serviced in early 1982 took the number 280 off of someone else's cars and stuck them on their diesels. Only problem with that line of thinking would be that most complained of terrible fuel economy.
I don't believe there were any 1982 gasoline powered E-class models in the US. I checked the NADA guide, and they don't list any either. Perhaps you were looking at leftover 1981 models way back then.

BTW, how old were you in 1982? [I]Gotcha[!/I]

The only reason I point out all your glaring errors is that some people
that read your posts might actually believe the lies you print.

I'd tell you to grow up, but it appears that you're a grumpy old man. At what age did you lose the ability to be civil?
Old 11-13-2006, 07:59 PM

Question Civil he says

First time I've seen you say: "I stand corrected." That's a beginning to be sure.

"I don't believe there were any 1982 gasoline powered E-class models in the US. I checked the NADA guide,
and they don't list any either. Perhaps you were looking at leftover 1981 models way back then."

NADA is not an authority on MBZs. Just because you do not believe does not make it so.

I know there were '82 280Es because I saw brand new ones with their stickers still attached prior to them being sold new.

Just because someone disagrees with your errors is no reason to call them uncivil.
If you insist on making false statements, I for one will jump on you with both feet.

Grumpy . . I don't think so.

I've been somewhat of an auto expert for 60 plus years now, and although I am sure there are other individuals
around that do know a lot more, I do know what I know, having seen 'em when they were new.

I have been a MBZ enthusist since I got my first Benz, a 1961 190 Db, back in 1965.
I got rid of the gas hog 1962 Olds Dynamic 88 that only got 10
MPG while driving it daily between T O and S M, a 70 mile R/T.

As far as you having to tell me to grow up, forget it, as I have been fully grown for over 50 years now.
Just because someone calls you on your mistakes doesn't mean that they are not grown up.

BTW, how did you get the idea to "import" your "used" 2006 E-320 CDI?
It was actually used, or did you Mickey-Mouse the required miles before bringing it into the Golden State?

Don't get me wrong, for I agree with however you did it. More power to you!
I'd have done the exact same thing if I'd been able to afford to do that.

Carry on. Good luck with your CDI.

Old 11-13-2006, 08:57 PM

NADA is not an authority on MBZs. Just because you do not believe does not make it so.

I know there were '82 280Es because I saw brand new ones with their stickers still attached prior to them being sold new.
Newsflash: Just because you believe it, doesn't make it so, either. I provided a source that compiles US VINs. You provided a recollection.

Just because someone disagrees with your errors is no reason to call them uncivil. Just because someone calls you on your mistakes doesn't mean that they are not grown up.
I have no problem discussing a subject and admitting if I'm incorrect. However, your comments are rude and condescending, and in this forum among strangers, uncivil. You typically find teenagers with your tone on Honda forums, hence my comment regarding growing up. Some direct quotes from you:

Educate yourself before making such bold statements

you do not know what you are talking about!

You have clearly got your mind set in stone

I'm only trying to broaden your warped mind, but you're just to dumb to know how stupid you really are!

You are beyond help. Carry on dummy. Go ahead and believe whatever you like.

BTW, what do you care about? Being dumb I'll wager.

They show us how uneducated you truely are

Oh I know, you have your empty head stuck in the sand.

Your age and self-proclaimed expertise gives you no right to exhibit such an offensive tone regardless of what comments I make or others make.
Old 11-13-2006, 10:29 PM

Smile On and On and On . . .

And here you go again, you never learn.

You keep on going and going and going. Reminds me of that battery powered bunny on TV.

BTW, I don't believe what I say; I know it!
I was there then. Were you? No! I don't have to depend on some book that supposedly quotes to
you only various VINs, etc. Where is the URL to direct me and others to this source? Please!

Try spending a little time reading the ads on eBay and see if you cannot
find some info on the older Benzs that are often offered there for sale.

Even here: https://mbworld.org/forums/index.php

You can read; Try looking in some of the various forums there.
You can seperate the local U S cars from those that are from abroad.

If you have no problem admitting that you are wrong, why don't you do so?

I see you've spent time on Honda websites. I rest my case!

If you take everything I say as being offensive, you do so because the truth hurts and
because you are offended, I then know that you know that I'm correct.

I, on the other hand, know that you are indeed wrong, and so does
everyone else here that knows anything at all about the older MBZs.

Is this CDI your first MBZ? How many MBZs do you think I have owned over the last 45 years?
Perhaps you might think that having had ten MBZ diesels plus two gassers
(one was an SLC. Do you even know of that model?) makes me a trifle more
knowledgeable about the marque than you who have had how many?

Since you choose to focus on all my so-called bad points, and want to ignore the good ones
I am trying to lay on you, why do you read my posts at all and keep commenting?
Why not simply skip or ignore them instead?

If you want to go on and live in your fantasy world of make believe facts, go ahead on.

The day that I cannot learn something is the day that you can shoot me, but not before.
I think you figure that you know it all, and that really is a shame for you.

Carry on, and good luck. You will surely need it!

Let us see who will be the first to stop this nonsense?

Old 11-13-2006, 10:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cool it guys-lets talk diesel instead

And here you go again, you never learn.

You keep on going and going and going. Reminds me of that battery powered bunny on TV.

BTW, I don't believe what I say; I know it!
I was there then. Were you? No! I don't have to depend on some book that supposedly quotes to
you only various VINs, etc. Where is the URL to direct me and others to this source? Please!

Try spending a little time reading the ads on eBay and see if you cannot
find some info on the older Benzs that are often offered there for sale.

Even here: https://mbworld.org/forums/index.php

You can read; Try looking in some of the various forums there.
You can seperate the local U S cars from those that are from abroad.

If you have no problem admitting that you are wrong, why don't you do so?

I see you've spent time on Honda websites. I rest my case!

If you take everything I say as being offensive, you do so because the truth hurts and
because you are offended, I then know that you know that I'm correct.

I, on the other hand, know that you are indeed wrong, and so does
everyone else here that knows anything at all about the older MBZs.

Is this CDI your first MBZ? How many MBZs do you think I have owned over the last 45 years?
Perhaps you might think that having had ten MBZ diesels plus two gassers
(one was an SLC. Do you even know of that model?) makes me a trifle more
knowledgeable about the marque than you who have had how many?

Since you choose to focus on all my so-called bad points, and want to ignore the good ones
I am trying to lay on you, why do you read my posts at all and keep commenting?
Why not simply skip or ignore them instead?

If you want to go on and live in your fantasy world of make believe facts, go ahead on.

The day that I cannot learn something is the day that you can shoot me, but not before.
I think you figure that you know it all, and that really is a shame for you.

Carry on, and good luck. You will surely need it!

Mr Green T,

I think we are all gentlemen on this board and there is room for all sorts of opinions. Occasionally I posted wrong stuff too and as you said "stood corrected".

I wonder what can happen, if anything to the 2005-2006 CDi engines when they burn ULSD. Do you think they will lose power or "pink"? One thing sure is that the new Bluetec V-6 engines have to be treated much more carefully. Too much sulphur and their filters get choked to death - high replacement costs! Can Bluetecs burn used engine oil? ATF and other good stuff? Can anybody help? Can anyone say Kee Yoyo, Kyoto or Oko Ono?
Old 11-13-2006, 10:54 PM

...why do you read my posts at all and keep commenting? Why not simply skip or ignore them instead?

Done and done.
Old 11-13-2006, 11:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by carsinamerica
Only someone who's never seen the cumulative effect of years of diesel sootage on cities and the costs of dealing with it could say that. It's not about tree-hugging, it's about being able to breathe in a metropolitan area and not having to spend an ever-loving fortune every decade to keep the buildings clean.

Kudos to M-B for developing the Bluetec CDI engines. With Audi/BMW/M-B/VW partnering on them, they should do quite well.

I suspect that a V-8 TD from some marque will arrive within 2-3 years. But it will probably be in the E first. American buyers need to learn to love diesels gradually, and I doubt a diesel S-Class would sell especially well until people are more used to them. A diesel S320 CDI would probably come across as underpowered for the S-Class, though, at least in the States. It's the same reason they almost never sell gasoline V-6s in that model anymore, either. The V-8 TD should solve that.
Mr Carsinomarica,

You are used to too much of a good thing in the USA. Go to a Chinese city like Shanghai and you know what pollution really is. America was not the dirtiest place in the world and yet the first to neuter its fine big block V-8s with "catalysts" in the 1960s. It happened because you are rich and life is precious. Any life.

While the EPA and whatever local department in the Peoples Republic of California is called are legislating the internal combustion engine to death China, Indian and Africa are doing their own things like burning coal and pouring mercury into rivers. People are merely starving there. Make them use less fuel, stay poor and eat cake.
Old 11-14-2006, 12:04 AM

Talking As I Understand It . . .

Not sure that I understand your question?

Nothing seems to happen to the 2005-2006 CDIs when they are filled
with the readily available on road fuels here in the United States.

However, the 2007 Bluetecs must have only the purest fuels containing no more than 15 ppm Sulfur.
Biodiesel or LSD will not do because of the higher Sulfur contained therein.

We have had several thousand of the 2005-2006 MBZ CDIs imported to the N A continent, and for
the most part, most of them were run on what is referred to as low sulfur fuel (LSD) with
as much as 500 ppm of Sulfur and not ULSD which has less than 15 ppm Sulfur.

I have not heard of there being any problems generally with the
readily available LSD fuel being used in the 2005-2006 CDIs.
That doesn't mean that there have not been problems, only that I haven't heard of them!

Now IF you are speaking of the new 2007 CDI Bluetec cars, their introduction to the N A market
was delayed to coincide with the manditory introduction of ULSD for the entire country.

I have heard that should one of the newer 2007 Bluetec models get accidently filled with the older dirtier
LSD (500 ppm Sulfur) fuels, there can and will be problems, and it could get expensive to correct them.

Only in California and very few other places were the fuels lower in Sulfer than 500 ppm.
The average in California for Sulfur mandiated by the C A R B was less at about 125 ppm.
There was, beginning in the early 2000s, ULSD diesel available here but
only at approximately 122 Arco stations throughout the entire state.

Most of the 2005-2006 CDIs are not here in California, as it was not legal for them to be sold
here new, and those few that are here in California could only be registered here legally
when brought in as used with over 7,500 miles showing on their odometers.

HTHs

I wonder what can happen, if anything to the 2005-2006 CDi engines when they burn ULSD. Do you think they will lose power or "pink"? One thing sure is that the new Bluetec V-6 engines have to be treated much more carefully. Too much sulphur and their filters get choked to death - high replacement costs! Can Bluetecs burn used engine oil? ATF and other good stuff? Can anybody help? Can anyone say Kee Yoyo, Kyoto or Oko Ono?
Old 11-14-2006, 01:31 PM

1987 Mercedes 300 SDL
At least in this neck-of-the-woods.

You'd really have to see it to believe it, but the numbers of 20 some odd years old S
class 300 Turbo diesels still on the road here in Southern California says differently.

Many have several hundred thousand miles on their odometers. People just keep on driving 'em.

Many still look as sharp as they did when they were brand new.

If MBZ would bring 'em in, I am sure they would sell. I'd be the first in line.

Yeah, I would, too. I have been putting off upgrading my '87 300 SDL for a diesel S class for 5 years now. I can't wait any longer. I've put 350,000 miles on my SDL, and the MPG just keeps getting better. Hope the Bluetec that I order in the next few weeks does the same!!
Old 11-15-2006, 01:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 289 Likes on 202 Posts
2013 650i Coupe, 2010 IS250 AWD, 1999 S500
I think Mercedes will import a S320, but it will be a Bluetec, not a "CDI" model. They're waiting on 50 state certification first. I think a S320 Bluetec would be a hit.

M
Old 11-15-2006, 02:51 AM

Mr Carsinomarica,

You are used to too much of a good thing in the USA. Go to a Chinese city like Shanghai and you know what pollution really is. America was not the dirtiest place in the world and yet the first to neuter its fine big block V-8s with "catalysts" in the 1960s. It happened because you are rich and life is precious. Any life.

While the EPA and whatever local department in the Peoples Republic of California is called are legislating the internal combustion engine to death China, Indian and Africa are doing their own things like burning coal and pouring mercury into rivers. People are merely starving there. Make them use less fuel, stay poor and eat cake.
As I warned someone else recently on a completely unrelated topic, be careful of assumptions. I wasn't born in the States, but rather in Europe, where dreadful smog damage has caused enormous bills for restoration of buildings and led to better emissions standards to prevent repeats in the future. The US knows nothing about what all those fumes can do.

I am also quite aware of China's pollution levels, which is one reason why the West needs to help China, India, and the developing countries develop alternative means of energy production with truckloads of money and technical assistance. (And yes, that includes nuclear power, much as I loathe it). We plundered these countries years ago, now we have to work together to help fix them.

And nobody "merely" starves. All life is precious, remember? As a social democrat, I do not prize American lives over the lives of anyone else. We are all people. BTW, don't ever call me rich again. I've met rich people; I'm certainly not one of them.

However, your moaning about the 'neutering' of engines is hopelessly misplaced. The world is heating up at a rate almost never before seen in the history of the planet. As a person who will (probably) live well past the mid-century, I do not want to to reap the literal and figurative whirlwinds that will come of reckless energy and pollution policy. If anyone is so stupid as to believe that global warming is not a scientific reality, I can't help them. The consensus is overwhelming, and the visual evidence is staggering. For the rest of us, the reality is here, and it is frightening. The glaciers are vanishing, the seas are heating, and the effects on currents and global systems is already making itself apparent. That's reason enough to strangle any engine of its greenhouse gas emissions. As for the emissions such as NOx and similar fumes that deteriorate low-level air quality, anyone who has seen the health effects in China's cities understands the need to do something about them, rapidly and globally. Until fuel cells and controlled fusion are cheap and practical, we cannot do anything except muddle along as best we can, but whatever steps we can take must be taken, without delay. Otherwise, whether in China or Kenya or England or the USofA, we all suffer. And after seeing my parent's generation lead us to this point, I don't care what it takes, we cannot afford to make the same errors, even if it means reducing the performance of our automobiles. I say that as an enthusiast, but as an enthusiast who would also like to breathe without a gas mask and not have to move to Fairbanks to avoid Texas weather.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Any News On S320 CDI Or S420 CDI For US?