Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 10:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2006 E320 CDi, 2008 3/4 Ton Suburban, 2007 "rice rickshaw" Accord 5 speed
How did they do it? Any idea?

Dieselheads:

I saw on You Tube these Dodge Cumming diesel engines blowing black smoke like Choo-Choos through their chimney pipes. How do they do it? Are they street legal?

I saw something similar in Diesel-Power (a Primedia publication), a magazine dedicated to turbodiesel enthusiasist. See www.dieselpowermag.com

It is so cool to blow thick black smoke and see the faces of the Sierra Club boys.
Old 03-05-2007, 10:48 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
LOTS of fuel. Yes they are street legal, but its the same as any other modded vehicle - cops are getting wise and cracking down on smoke. They do reach a point where streetability suffers, and different years (engine series) react differently. The new CR engines are the best for street manners with loads of power on tap. The old 94-98 12 valves are still at the top for all out power.

FYI, there are a ton of them over 600 streetable horsepower, with many over 700 streetable. Several in the 800-900 range with torque approaching 2000. The competition 12 valve pulling trucks are well over those numbers. My last dyno was 605 horsepower on a stock internal engine and currently I have 335,000 miles on it.

One of my favorite pullers:
http://www.enterpriseengine.com/Inde...eflagsmall.jpg

http://www.enterpriseengine.com/Shar...MonsterRam.jpg

Last edited by SmokinCummins; 03-05-2007 at 10:54 PM.
Old 03-05-2007, 11:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

long live black smoke and mirrors

Originally Posted by SmokinCummins
LOTS of fuel. Yes they are street legal, but its the same as any other modded vehicle - cops are getting wise and cracking down on smoke. They do reach a point where streetability suffers, and different years (engine series) react differently. The new CR engines are the best for street manners with loads of power on tap. The old 94-98 12 valves are still at the top for all out power.

FYI, there are a ton of them over 600 streetable horsepower, with many over 700 streetable. Several in the 800-900 range with torque approaching 2000. The competition 12 valve pulling trucks are well over those numbers. My last dyno was 605 horsepower on a stock internal engine and currently I have 335,000 miles on it.

I like the way your chimneys smoke man. It would be fun to be able to blow thick black oil smoke in a street legal car or truck. If there is a dial thing you can manipulate the amount of fuel injected into the engine then it is hard for the finest in the city to prove you were squirting too much diesel.
Old 03-05-2007, 11:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

600 horses are a lot of Mojo

If you have no spark plugs to foul how would streetability suffer? Cummings and Powerstrokes are so loud when revved. I know a couple of guys (both Powerstrokes) burning farm oil with no problem. Like the Benzos these trucks will eventually be neutered and hampered with lots of useless filters.
Old 03-06-2007, 12:17 AM

Received 258 Likes on 164 Posts
What's your fascination with sooty black exhaust? We have to breathe that stuff, you know...
Old 03-06-2007, 01:49 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1982 300D VNT, 1980 240D 3.0T, 1982 300TD
black smoke just means improper fueling, high EGT's and a display that they don't know how to tune a diesel engine.
Old 03-06-2007, 09:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

grandfathered!

Originally Posted by 240D 3.0T
black smoke just means improper fueling, high EGT's and a display that they don't know how to tune a diesel engine.

Mr 240:

I was only trying to ferret out the Sienna Club girls (joking)!

I guess breathing is good but the Chinese and Indians are the ones that have to do more. In NA the tree-huggers are so obnoxious, high and mighty. They bug me no end. They want to keep on persecuting drivers.

They had their catalytic converters in 1971. They had their OBD-one and OBD-two. Now they want blood - they want to neuter the poor diesels.

I am glad I got the last of the CDi instead of the Bluetec. Only one cat and no soot filter. It is like driving the original big block Dodge Challenger with no cats.
Old 03-06-2007, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by 240D 3.0T

Sorry, but in the competition world it takes improper fueling to win. I can promise you these guys know what it takes to tune an engine. There is a place for overfueled engines. EGTs, whats that?? When you look at the pyro on the street, these heavily modded trucks will see 1600 plus. On the trucks with recall they will run 1800+ EGT. You ignore the exhaust temp when in competition. I watch the pyro when working it, but when I am drag racing, I really do not care what it runs - the few seconds it is there do not hurt it.

When heavily modded, they become touchy. I built a friends pulling truck last spring. It lopes pretty hard, and in certain situations it will almost die before the governor recovers and lets it idle (lopey). The injectors currently in it are very brutal to drive on the street. It bucks and shutters at a cruising speed, but under load it is fine. Makes it impossible to drive to a sled pull, and a pain to run into town. It pretty much rides on a trailer. We could downsize to a set of injectors that are considered 225hp (over stock) injectors with good street manners, but we are not after street manners, we want to drag the sled further than the next guy. And yes it smokes, the sled has been known to disappear in the black cloud.
Old 03-06-2007, 01:46 PM

Received 258 Likes on 164 Posts
Originally Posted by harkgar
In NA the tree-huggers are so obnoxious, high and mighty. They bug me no end. They want to keep on persecuting drivers.
There's a lot of middle ground between a "tree-hugger" and somebody wanting to deliberately pour large amounts of pollution into the air for some sort of thrill.
Old 03-06-2007, 06:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

there are trees in my backyard

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
There's a lot of middle ground between a "tree-hugger" and somebody wanting to deliberately pour large amounts of pollution into the air for some sort of thrill.
Alan,

You talking to me?

Not serious. No offense.

The environmentalists will never be satisfied even if we all go back to horse buggies. They will say that methane from horse **** is polluting to the atmosphere.
Old 03-06-2007, 08:53 PM

And then they will try to figure out how to attach a Catalytic converter to the poor horse.
Old 03-06-2007, 10:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

look at these animal, Sienna Girls!

And then they will try to figure out how to attach a Catalytic converter to the poor horse.
Smokin:

It will be a criminal act if they try - a case of the "cat" buggering the horse.