CDI is holding value quite well..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 07:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'05 E320 CDI, '08 BMW X5 4.8i, '11 Duramax 2500HD
CDI is holding value quite well..

I was hanging out at B&N with the wife and picked up a copy of the newest NADA, looked up the resale of my '05 CDI (not able to get a good read, as they didn't list all my options and add ons like Park Assist, Voice Comand, Folding mirrors, and 17" wheels).. but more or less, I noticed that the E320 CDI had a higher price than the same year E500.. which is REALLY odd since the E500 retailed for better than $10K more.. This is either bad for the E500 (which it seems to have held it's value well, in terms of most cars), or really good for the CDI.

Anyone else notice a resale advantage to diesel?
Old 05-28-2007, 11:43 PM
Almost a Member!

currently drive the 83 300SD
MB Diesels always go for MORE than similar model gas engines. There are just a lot of MB Diesel fanatics out there. Plus... that and MB diesels are KNOWN for lasting FOREVER. I hope this stays true for the new CDIs!
Old 06-12-2007, 12:33 AM

Late Built 2005 W-211 E-320 CDI
Thumbs up Always Has Been!

Originally Posted by CE750
Anyone else notice a resale advantage [for] diesel[s]?
In the Kelley Blue Book for the 2005 E class cars, the vehicles that are worth more used than the
CDI are the E-500s and the E55. As these cars become older, the CDIs will become more
valueable when compared with the others, with the E-55 being the only exception.

Unlike NADA, Kelley does allow for some of the really high-end original options, but not by very much.

Examples include the Designo edition at $1035 and the Panorama Roof for $1335.
Now there's a switch considering how much more the Designo package costs originally over the Panorama Roof.

BTW, the MSRP difference new between an E-320 CDI and a E-500 is but $7625 and there
were times when the dealers out here were selling the E-500s for $10K less than MSRP.

Wheels other than the originals are not seen as being desireable, especially in high-end vehicles such
as the MBZs. In fact in many cases such as the S-class cars, other than original factory size
wheels and tires will actually lower the retail price. One does not see very many 'certified'
MBZs on dealership lots that have other than original wheels and tires.

Old 06-12-2007, 12:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

they're technically not "original", but my 17" wheels are the identical wheels that the E500 came with.. I just bought them and kept my 16" in the garage.
Old 06-12-2007, 01:10 AM

Thumbs up 'Good Show'

they're technically not "original", but my 17" wheels are the identical wheels that the E500 came with.. I just bought them and kept my 16" in the garage.
And that's fine. They do not look the least bit out-of-place because they
are in fact originals, but did not come originally on your particular model.

It's the bling bling oversize chromed 20 + inch wheels and ultra low
profile 30 ratio tires that to me look so out of place on high end cars.
Yours' basically appears stock, and the average person will not be
able to see the differences in your 16s and the slightly wider 17s.

Old 06-12-2007, 04:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Green E-300 DT
And that's fine. They do not look the least bit out-of-place because they
are in fact originals, but did not come originally on your particular model.

It's the bling bling oversize chromed 20 + inch wheels and ultra low
profile 30 ratio tires that to me look so out of place on high end cars.
Yours' basically appears stock, and the average person will not be
able to see the differences in your 16s and the slightly wider 17s.

agree.. I used to sell used cars a while back at a Ford dealer and we used to have to explain to all these people how their after market wheels, and stereo actually hurt the re-sale not the other way around.
Old 06-12-2007, 09:57 AM

Thumbs up You Understand.

Good. Selling Fords and you knew that! So you can readily understand why people
think the way that they do when it comes to the various Benz models.

You've sure done a lot in your relative short life!. Selling cars to driving DC-10s.
No passengers to tolerate. I like that. I didn't realize how hugh those babies were until I saw
the picture of the interior of the ones you fly. Could bring many CDIs here on one flight.

What's all this have to do with wheels and tires, I don't know.

Carry on and keep on trucken, or in your case, flying.

How the CDI doing? Last mile just like the first, right?

Trending Topics

Old 06-12-2007, 11:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Green E-300 DT
Good. Selling Fords and you knew that! So you can readily understand why people
think the way that they do when it comes to the various Benz models.

You've sure done a lot in your relative short life!.
I have... I'm just recently 38 yet I've done 4 years in the Army as an M1 Tanker, 4 years of college, 2 years of flight training, 1 year as a car salesman, 3 years in commercial real estate development, and 10 years (if you count my flight instructor days) in professional aviation.. I have ADHD I suppose..

Selling cars to driving DC-10s.
No passengers to tolerate. I like that. I didn't realize how hugh those babies were until I saw
the picture of the interior of the ones you fly. Could bring many CDIs here on one flight.
It's actually the DC-10's younger brother.. MD-11.. basically a slightly stretched, slightly more powerful/heavy computerized version..

What's all this have to do with wheels and tires, I don't know.

Carry on and keep on trucken, or in your case, flying.

How the CDI doing? Last mile just like the first, right?

I am not one of those thread *****.. I don't care what we talk about as long as we're talking.. the CDI is doing absolutely great... 18K on it now, and absolutely no mechanical or electrical problems... and I keep it like mint..
Old 06-12-2007, 07:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 E250 BT 4M
E Class diesel resale

Anyone else notice a resale advantage to diesel?
Yes, according to the Sales Manager @ my MB dealership, the E320 CDI has the quickest turnaround on the used car lot of any MB model.
The diesel E Class also has very high residual values and the slowest depreciation of any E.
Rule of thumb : the bigger the gasser, faster the depreciation.
Old 06-13-2007, 09:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2006 E320 CDi, 2008 3/4 Ton Suburban, 2007 "rice rickshaw" Accord 5 speed
CDi = King Tiger Diesel

Originally Posted by DerekACS
Yes, according to the Sales Manager @ my MB dealership, the E320 CDI has the quickest turnaround on the used car lot of any MB model.
The diesel E Class also has very high residual values and the slowest depreciation of any E.
Rule of thumb : the bigger the gasser, faster the depreciation.
It enbodies the best in diesel engines. Power. Economy. Durability.

The 1980 MB diesels were durable but gut-less. The W126 4 speeds were not electronic and while they last and last not as smooth as the stout 5 speeds in the CDi. The Bluetecs and soon to come AdBlue systems are far too expensive to maintain. If you are low in engine oil on the highway you may not find low ash synthetics in the truck stops. If you put in the wrong oil anyway your precious emission "filters" will be screwed.

The CDi cars are as powerful as the Bluetec. They are clean enough except for the tree nuts in Peoples Republic of California and they can do a million miles. They are the King Tiger tanks of diesel cars.

For those who are too young to remember the amazing King Tiger Tanks were the heaviest of tanks in WWII, weighing 70 tons loaded for battle. They run on diesel so when hit do not ignite spontaneously like gasoline. They had big guns that can penetrate flimsy Shermans. They were the King of the Road.
Old 06-13-2007, 11:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 RX330, 2008 Scion xB, 2001 Honda Insight Hybrid, 2010 Toyot Prius v ATP
Originally Posted by harkgar
If you are low in engine oil on the highway you may not find low ash synthetics in the truck stops. If you put in the wrong oil anyway your precious emission "filters" will be screwed.
Do you mean Ultra-Low Sulfur Diesel? That is something which I believe is now required at all US gas stations, no matter whether it's for cars or semi tractor trailers.

For those who are too young to remember the amazing King Tiger Tanks were the heaviest of tanks in WWII, weighing 70 tons loaded for battle. They run on diesel so when hit do not ignite spontaneously like gasoline. They had big guns that can penetrate flimsy Shermans. They were the King of the Road.
Thank goodness there were just not quite enough of them to blast our faster Shermans! I never did understand why so many tanks used the less-efficient, less-powerful, more-explosive petrolium gasoline to drive in those harsh battlefield situations.
Old 06-14-2007, 02:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I'm well aware of their impact on the battle field.. I've studied WWII history closely.

I agree with you the I-6, iron block CDI is the apex of diesels for me. I'm sure the aluminum V6 will do well, but I've always preferred I-6.
Old 06-14-2007, 07:06 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,440 Likes on 3,153 Posts
'71 Pinto
“King of the Road” My thoughts exactly when you mention MB. Hence the connection in my user name. My dad had a 2 1/2 ton truck blown out from under him by a tiger during the Battle of the Bulge. To everyone's amazement he escaped with minor injuries.

BTW, if anyone would like a free datacard for their vehicle:
https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w211/197184-free-vehicle-datacard.html

Last edited by konigstiger; 06-14-2007 at 07:09 PM.
Old 06-16-2007, 05:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 E250 BT 4M
[QUOTE=harkgar;2268602 The Bluetecs and soon to come AdBlue systems are far too expensive to maintain. [/QUOTE]

Really ?
What evidence do you have to support your statement ?

Everything on the Bluetec that pertains to emission controls ( cats, particulate filter, etc.) is under warranty for eight years.

Were you thinking of the cost to replenish the adBlue component ?
I agree that this will be an extra cost for maintenance, BUT
the 2007 and 2008 E320 Bluetecs sold in Canada do not have the adBlue component.
Old 06-23-2007, 07:23 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2017 GLC 300 Coupe'
It enbodies the best in diesel engines. Power. Economy. Durability.

When I did my service in the IDF we had British Centurions circa mid 1950's with amazing diesels from the US Patton tanks from the 60s/70s. 54 tons rumbling at 35 mph with a US built 105 gun and that Sheffield Armor. Learned to respect diesels a long time ago.
Old 06-23-2007, 09:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2006 E320 CDi, 2008 3/4 Ton Suburban, 2007 "rice rickshaw" Accord 5 speed
Originally Posted by DerekACS
Really ?
What evidence do you have to support your statement ?

Everything on the Bluetec that pertains to emission controls ( cats, particulate filter, etc.) is under warranty for eight years.

Were you thinking of the cost to replenish the adBlue component ?
I agree that this will be an extra cost for maintenance, BUT
the 2007 and 2008 E320 Bluetecs sold in Canada do not have the adBlue component.
That is exactly what I meant. Anything after 2007 model year has to comply with the new regulations in USA and Canada. Ultra low sulfur, low ash engine oil and in 2008 Ad Blue urea injection.

All above requirements do nothing for performance but add to cost of maintenance. Try buying 0W40 Mobil One in Vancouver at a good price.
Old 06-23-2007, 09:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

the only engine oil I use in my CDI is Mobil 1 Delvac Diesel oil.. it's specifically designed to suspend the additional soot that diesel engines produce. I am very surprised that the dealers don't automatically re-fill with it, you have to specify it or bring your own.
Old 06-26-2007, 12:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 E250 BT 4M
Anything after 2007 model year has to comply with the new regulations in USA and Canada. Ultra low sulfur, low ash engine oil and in 2008 Ad Blue urea injection.
All above requirements do nothing for performance but add to cost of maintenance.
Perhaps you should re-read what I wrote above.
Let me repeat : Canadian 2008 Bluetecs will NOT have the adBlue system.
In addition, all Canadian diesel passenger cars, including yours, are now burning ULSD in Canada. Federal regulations require all stations (except Northern territories) to sell ULSD; there is no other on road diesel fuel for sale in Canada, for cars or trucks !!!

So, why do persist in your inaccurate remarks about the Bluetec V6 ?

Last edited by DerekACS; 06-26-2007 at 12:52 AM.
Old 06-26-2007, 12:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 184 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Try buying 0W40 Mobil One in Vancouver at a good price.
Since you can run it almost 3X as long as conventional oil, it's actually cheaper.

But, of course, that's Economics 101 and possibly foreign to you.