Diesel Forum Forum for Diesel engine vehicle related discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V Power diesel

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-23-2007, 08:31 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
M5 Jahre Edition S, KTM 1290R Super Duke ,C63 AMG 2011[Gone],A45 AMG 2013, MV Agusta 750 [2000]
V Power diesel

Hi there just thought I would share my thoughts on the new V Power Diesel that is now available here in europe.

Although my car has been chipped im still getting on average 30/34mpg in city & 41.00mpg on long run cruise control set @ 75mph

Im now using V power Diesel & still achive the above butthe power that seem to be available now is pretty good definetly noticeable. But the Price of £1.04 per litre / £4.73 is rather offputting that's = to $9.55 per gallon in USA [How luck you guys are with your gas prices]

Krgds
EckCLS,[05] Iridium Silver,,Amg bodystyling with twin Amg Exhaust,Amg 19" Alloys,Nappa Club Design,High Gloss Laurel Wood,Driver& passenger full electric pack + mirrors + sterring column, Heatedfront seats,Heated rear seats,Keyless Go,Luxury Climate Control,Parktronic,Remote boot closing, Paddle Steering Wheel Shift Button's, Bi-Xenon Lamps with Active Light System + cornering + headlamp wash,6 Disc Cd Changer,Command APS with Cd/Dvd + Sat Nav system,Harmon/Kardon Logic 7 surround sound -recent ipod hard wire,via command system Telephone prewire, Type of phone Sony T68 , Rear Amg Lip Spoiler ,Updated Management system ECU + 50 Bhp + 95NM Torque. [274bhp as per DMS]
Old 11-23-2007, 11:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I too love V-Power diesel, it has been available in Germany for a few years now, and ever since I first tanked up with it, I have been completely addicted. When I want power, it seems to have more, and fuel economy has also improved. It also seems the engine is smoother and quieter.

I do hope they will bring it to the US at some point, maybe when diesels become more popular.
Old 11-24-2007, 12:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2006 E320 CDi, 2008 3/4 Ton Suburban, 2007 "rice rickshaw" Accord 5 speed
Originally Posted by Untertürkheim
I too love V-Power diesel, it has been available in Germany for a few years now, and ever since I first tanked up with it, I have been completely addicted. When I want power, it seems to have more, and fuel economy has also improved. It also seems the engine is smoother and quieter.

I do hope they will bring it to the US at some point, maybe when diesels become more popular.
I think Shell makes the V Power diesel. There is a "premium" diesel available in Toronto too but I do not think Shell calls it V Power here. Personally I do not find a lot of difference using just regular diesel or the dearer stuff.
Old 11-24-2007, 06:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I am not sure if the GTL V-Power diesel is available outside of Germany, if it is now, that is a recent development. I have a feeling what you tried may have not been V-Power diesel, otherwise they probably would have called it so.
Old 11-25-2007, 11:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Untertürkheim
I am not sure if the GTL V-Power diesel is available outside of Germany, if it is now, that is a recent development. I have a feeling what you tried may have not been V-Power diesel, otherwise they probably would have called it so.
Sunoco (Suncor) has been selling a "Diesel Gold" for years. It has a higher cetane rating than the average stuff. Again, I do not find a huge difference using this brand either. In winter the diesels here are blended somewhat differently from summer types as well. It can get down to 40 degrees (Centigrade) below zero.
Old 11-28-2007, 04:52 PM

e300d
The real V Power diesel fuel is not available in NAmerica.
Old 11-29-2007, 01:53 AM

'05 E320 CDI, '07 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2007 Porsche GT3
Originally Posted by uberwgn
The real V Power diesel fuel is not available in NAmerica.
Too right!

You folks in Europe should consider yourself very lucky. A couple of weeks ago, I went to fill our '07 Tourareg V10 TDI at a major Marathon station in Strasburg, OH. After I'd pumped in 8.XX gallons, I read the pump label and realized this was still the old "Low Sulfur Diesel" fuel (500 ppm of sulfur).

This is the State of the Art in the USA right now! True premium diesel is a dream, down the road somewhere maybe! Retailers seem to consider diesel owners to be fortunate to have ANY fuel available!

The Shell station on the corner here in Lansing, MI, took 8 months beyond the 10/30/06 deadline to re-label their pumps as dispensing Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel (15 ppm or less). And judging by the diesel clatter in our cars, the cetane rating of this fuel is no better than it has to be.
Old 11-29-2007, 09:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Blue Teckers take note

That is why I bought a 2006 E320 CDi straight 6 instead of the higher-tech-than-thou Blue-in-the-face-Tack V-6 with balancer shafts, 4 high dollar "filters" and requirement for ULSD. Slightly more of that nutritious sulfur in the fuel and those expensive filters would be poisoned. All those check engine lights will come on and would you still hug the nearest tree? I think not.

Something like your Tourag V-10 is still adaptable enough to burn that high energy 500 ppm sulfur which will increase your mileage by a few percentage points. Nothing wrong with that. The tree huggers in the Peoples Republic of Kali-fornication will have to breathe a little bit harder.

I can burn old engine old or ATF in my car still. Smoke? I did not see it.

Small price to pay for a good state of the art Tourag V-10 engine.
Old 11-30-2007, 07:15 AM

e300d
Originally Posted by khaug

After I'd pumped in 8.XX gallons, I read the pump label and realized this was still the old "Low Sulfur Diesel" fuel (500 ppm of sulfur).

khaug, I wouldn't get too tensed up about that. There's very little LSD being produced and few understand the pump labeling requirements. It's quite likely the product you purchased was ULSD.

Checking the weekly petroleum reports, it's about an 80:20 (ULSD:LSD) split. There's very little LSD out there and I don't know that the general dieseling auto public has any access to. I suspect it's being delivered to huge fleet users in segregated tanker trucks. The contamination by LSD has become a huge liability and can waste an entire load of ULSD and make it un-saleable. Compliance is much tougher today.

Enjoy!

Last edited by uberwgn; 11-30-2007 at 07:17 AM.
Old 11-30-2007, 10:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by harkgar
That is why I bought a 2006 E320 CDi straight 6 instead of the higher-tech-than-thou Blue-in-the-face-Tack V-6 with balancer shafts, 4 high dollar "filters" and requirement for ULSD. Slightly more of that nutritious sulfur in the fuel and those expensive filters would be poisoned. All those check engine lights will come on and would you still hug the nearest tree? I think not.

Something like your Tourag V-10 is still adaptable enough to burn that high energy 500 ppm sulfur which will increase your mileage by a few percentage points. Nothing wrong with that. The tree huggers in the Peoples Republic of Kali-fornication will have to breathe a little bit harder.

I can burn old engine old or ATF in my car still. Smoke? I did not see it.

Small price to pay for a good state of the art Tourag V-10 engine.
I completely agree that California's anti-diesel legislation is completely inappropriate and unacceptable, but V-Power diesel will deliver far more power and fuel economy (and lower emissions) than any conventional diesel with any amount of sulfur, while having practically no sulfur itself.

I personally do not feel backward-compatablility should be considered a merit on par with technological advancement (re: Bluetec's inferiority because of stricter fuel requirements). This would imply that rotary phones would be somehow superior to modern phones, since there are some telecom networks that do not support tone dialing. Even along the same lines, one could say that the old IDI 61x series turbodiesels are better than the previous E320 CDI because they have even more flexibility when it comes to fuel, and virtually no electronics to be found.

That being said, I would never drive a Prius or any of the other atrocities/psuedo-cars being produced today. I always look for more advanced technology, but only when it is implemented as an enhancement, rather than destroying the very thing it seeks to improve.