Sponsored by:

Which would you choose?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 07:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1992 300d
Which would you choose?

I operate a delivery business. I am currently driving a `92 300D. It has 368,000 miles on it. I use veg-oil in warm weather only, pouring it right in, WITHOUT ENGINE MODIFICATION. I do of course, allow for settlement, heat and carefully filter the veg. But I like things as they are, without fooling with my car at all. The ol` 92 runs perfectly fine in this way. I run it approx. 60,000 miles a year. Now I have a chance to "get newer." I am interested in member comments about the following models, both in the relability of the ones I list, and if they take well to veg-oil WITHOUT ENGINE MODIFICATION. I have no intention of converting to full time veg-oil use.

1] 1996 E300d, 295,000 miles, $3600
2] 1998 E300dt, 245,000 miles, $5800
3] 1999 E300dt, 235.000 miles, $5490

Which one would you choose?
Old 07-21-2009, 07:59 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1982 300D VNT, 1980 240D 3.0T, 1982 300TD
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by securetransport
I use veg-oil in warm weather only, pouring it right in, WITHOUT ENGINE MODIFICATION.
Thats not smart at all.
Old 07-21-2009, 08:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
09' E320
Learn to make B99 from your veg and both models will o fine. Comming from a 2.5 turbo you'd better try driving the 96 (no turbo) and see if you can live with it first. Its so slow I felt like getting out and helping push the first time I drove one. Cruizes ok once you get it going.

As always, books, records and maint is more important than miles.

It is my personal belief you will run into problems running straight unheated veg in a 606. Carboned up (and stuck) GP's are already an issue on this engine which will be worse on veg and I'm guessing the shut off valve is not going to like the viscosity either..
Old 07-22-2009, 01:01 AM

1992 300d
I do heat the veg oil before pouring it in. As far as it being "not smart" I am reporting no problems whatsoever after 120,000 miles.

I am looking for opinions from people who own the models I referred to.
Old 07-22-2009, 01:18 AM

09' E320
You did receive an recommendattion from someone who owns one.....you just didn't want to hear it.

If you have no engine mods, you are not injecting pre-heated veg. Period!!!

You'd be bettter off being a veg/RUG blender with a 606 IMHO. The SOV wont like thick fuel and even burning commercially prepared B99 there is a 10% drop in MPG's on the 606.962 (turbo). The drop burning pure veg will be more.
Old 07-22-2009, 04:33 AM
Banned

I do heat the veg oil before pouring it in.
Thats completely pointless. The oil must be heated before it enters the injection pump, not before you pour it in the tank. Thats the entire point of the two-tank requirement.

As far as it being "not smart" I am reporting no problems whatsoever after 120,000 miles.
Key word there.
Old 07-23-2009, 12:23 PM

W210 W140
Welcome to the forum newbie.

We can't answer your questions because you won't find anyone on this forum that would run WVO on those models without engine modifications.

Go to www.mercedesshop.com and search WVO/SVO use. There's a wealth of information.
Old 07-23-2009, 01:02 PM

09' E320
Originally Posted by EdzBenz

Go to www.mercedesshop.com and search WVO/SVO use. There's a wealth of information.
The Elsbett system for the OM606 is barely tolerated there. The OP will get no love as a RUG blender or lard dumper on that forum.

If the OP wants opinions that agree with his he needs to visit one of the bio/veg sites where the health of the auto isn't considered.
Old 07-23-2009, 03:16 PM

W210 W140
I agree with your comments TMAllison. Key word in my post was "search". I was hoping he would search before posting there and learn more about the dangers of not modifying his fuel delivery for WVO use.
Old 07-23-2009, 04:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by EdzBenz
Its Peach Parts, and there isn't much information there. Luckily, they are almost as anti-WVO hackjobing as here.
Old 07-26-2009, 01:33 PM

1992 300d
My original posting

"I am interested in member comments about the following models, both in the reliability of the ones I list, and if they take well to veg-oil WITHOUT ENGINE MODIFICATION.

This was a two-part question. I did not get one specific comment about any of the models I asked about in regards to reliability. Instead I got a rather luke warm suggestion, I think you`ll agree, to try the `96, from TMAllison. But with no specific references to reliability or personal use.

"Comming from a 2.5 turbo you'd better try driving the 96 (no turbo) and see if you can live with it first. Its so slow I felt like getting out and helping push the first time I drove one. Cruizes ok once you get it going."

I was then told I did get a recommendation from someone who owns one and that "I didn`t want to hear it." Truth is I did not see anyone who owns any of the models I asked about, unless TMAllisons `99 is a diesel. And again, no reference was made to this.

In a subsequent post I was again referred to someone wants replies who "agree with his needs." Untrue and unfair.

So far this board is not open to exchange of ideas, just preachy ganging-up on those who do not operate the way you all deem "the MB way." Instead of probing with questions about the performance on burning pure-veg, or expressing valid concerns while acknowledging the success of the 120,000 miles without any problems, you all just went to attack mode, especially 240d.

Even if you could not get past the fact that I do not move in lock-step with you, I never did get any comments on the vehicles I asked about. Even EDzBenz, who at least welcomed me, and actually owns a `99 E300D, saw fit to only register his disappointment with me, and offered no experience with his own vehicle. I was under time constraint to actually pull the trigger on one of those vehicles. I was hoping to gain some quick insight before purchase.

I have taken part in many other forums and have formed some good relationships with people both in and out of the auto world. Never have I been treated with such uncalled-for disdain as I have here. I now laugh at each of the replies I read from any of you. Thanks for nothing. I will not be back.
Old 07-26-2009, 03:11 PM
Banned

So far this board is not open to exchange of ideas
Incorrect. You're not open to the possibility of learning how to do something right.

120,000 miles without any problems
BS.

I never did get any comments on the vehicles I asked about.
Why? Simple, we don't want to be an accessory to people like you severely abusing another car because you have no knowledge of how to use vegetable oils.

I will not be back.
Good. This will save other people from having to read about your vehicle abuse.
Old 07-26-2009, 04:18 PM

09' E320
My original posting
This was a two-part question. I did not get one specific comment about any of the models I asked about in regards to reliability. Instead I got a rather luke warm suggestion, I think you`ll agree, to try the `96, from TMAllison. But with no specific references to reliability or personal use.

"Comming from a 2.5 turbo you'd better try driving the 96 (no turbo) and see if you can live with it first. Its so slow I felt like getting out and helping push the first time I drove one. Cruizes ok once you get it going."

I was then told I did get a recommendation from someone who owns one and that "I didn`t want to hear it." Truth is I did not see anyone who owns any of the models I asked about, unless TMAllisons `99 is a diesel. And again, no reference was made to this.
Your lack of basic knowledge leads you to believe the cars you asked about are badged as you initially described them which is incorrect......That mistake then leads you to believe you received zero responses pertaining to first hand knowledge.

A small amount of research on your part prior to posting would show you that all W210 diesels sold in the USA are actually E300's.......bye.
Old 07-28-2009, 04:18 PM

W210 W140
Even EDzBenz, who at least welcomed me, and actually owns a `99 E300D, saw fit to only register his disappointment with me, and offered no experience with his own vehicle. I was under time constraint to actually pull the trigger on one of those vehicles. I was hoping to gain some quick insight before purchase.
I just stated we wouldn't be able to advise you about the reliability of using WVO, without fuel delivery modification, in the W210 models. No consistent member of this board would do that to their vehicle because we all know the horror stories of people not modifying their vehicles (any model) for its use and I was pretty sure you didn't want to hear it from me. I really enjoy my E300 and do a lot of my own maintenance. I find its reliability on par with a car that has 160K on the clock. I didn't want to tell you general reliability information on this model if you were going to decide to use straight WVO in the tank. That will deplete its reliability and make my comments null and void.

We're not ganging up on you, rather the members have similar responses to your thread because we all know what you are doing is a bad idea. If you would have asked about a 2-tank conversion to one of these models then you would have received different information. The members responding would not have as much of a unified opinion of this. That's because there are some on here that disagree with WVO use, and some that believe its o.k. with proper modification to the vehicle. I have a Greasecar kit in my 99' E300, which I have done even further modifications to the stock kit to enhance its performance. I did an extensive amount of research on WVO use (which it sounds like you're not willing to do) before I even considered running this type of fuel.

I'm glad you are finding humor in our replies. Can you please humor us? Purchase one of the models you had initially identified and run WVO in it without engine modification. Take "before and after 30K miles" photos of your glow plugs and injectors (if you even make it to 30K). I am very curious to see the results. Let us know if you have a problem identifying what the glow plugs and injectors are. Good luck,