Diesel Forum Forum for Diesel engine vehicle related discussion

Front tire wear

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-24-2014, 08:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2017 Jaguar XE (TDI)
Front tire wear

I have 37,000 miles on my E350 Blutec and the front tires are toast. They still have good tread on most of the tire, but the inside part of the treat is completely worn away and it's down to the cord. It looks like the alignment is really bad, however, a mechanic told me that this type of wear is common on the E350's. He said they set them up this way. The handling is good and it seems to track properly, so I don't think the alignment is bad, but I'd like to know if anyone else has experienced this problem.

I'll be replacing the tires immediately (I just noticed the problem yesterday) and would appreciate recommendations on replacement tires.
Old 05-24-2014, 11:42 AM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
1997 E300D
It is an alignment problem, likely a toed out condition. This is not something you would feel while driving. Hitting a large pot hole can cause a toed out condition, but so can a poor alignment. I have learned that most alignment outfits are to be avoided, especially those that sell tires. They benefit from poor alignments. A dealer will be much more expensive but is likely worth it. There used to be alignment shops but I haven't seen one in years. Once you have a good alignment, don't let anyone touch it. On decent roads it should last until you change a suspension component that requires realignment.
Old 05-24-2014, 06:42 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 402 Likes on 337 Posts
2007 W211 E350 4Matic / 2008 X164 GL320 CDI
If you want a good alignment, Find the suspension shop your local Porsche club loves.
Those guys are always tweaking their cars.
Old 05-24-2014, 09:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2017 Jaguar XE (TDI)
Decent roads are a thing of the past, at least here in Kalifornia. I got spoiled on European roads and loved the Autobahns when I lived in Germany. Coming back to Kalifornia I've decided I need a kidney belt for most of the roads. But thanks for the suggestion about an alignment. I'll see what I can get done. The general manager of the nearest Mercedes Dealer is my old racketball partner, so I should get decent service. I refuse to buy tires from Mercedes, but I can get a good set of tires and then take it in for alignment.

Stan
Old 05-24-2014, 11:55 PM

Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts
W211 e320 CDI
Mine did the same through its first two sets of tires...last two sets post $35 (no joke, old timer down the street from me, not a laser in his shop, nor a Mercedes manual, previous two were done at MB) alignment have been perfect. I always take 2 new front tires in to shop when I get alignment done to eliminate variables in previous tire wear. My NSX did the same crap, another oldtimer fixed it first shot, something the dealer refused to do because it would result in slightly greater under steer at the limit...in the case of the NSX at an insane rate of front tire wear on a car with a 37/63 fr/rr weight distribution.
Old 05-25-2014, 11:15 AM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
1997 E300D
Originally Posted by skromfols
Decent roads are a thing of the past, at least here in Kalifornia. I got spoiled on European roads and loved the Autobahns when I lived in Germany. Coming back to Kalifornia I've decided I need a kidney belt for most of the roads.
Stan
Actually, it takes quite a large pot hole to affect alignment on todays cars as the suspension is attached by rubber bushings that spring back so long as the pot hole does not bend anything. One needs to frequently check the tires for wear that can be caused by an alignment problem and resolve the problem before the tires are trash. Balance problems due to a thrown wheel weight can cause worn spots around a tire, and this can be exacerbated by weak shocks that let the tire keep bouncing. Tire wear has a story to tell.
Old 05-25-2014, 10:56 PM

Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts
W211 e320 CDI
Working in the racing motorcycle business I cannot stress how deeply I agree about reading tires, granted, bikes are TOTALLY different, but reading tea leaves is reading tea leaves. If your tires are wearing weird (other than rears eating inner edges first) there is more to the story.
Old 05-26-2014, 12:57 AM
SPONSOR

Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts
Mercedes-Benz CLK 550
Originally Posted by skromfols
I have 37,000 miles on my E350 Blutec and the front tires are toast. They still have good tread on most of the tire, but the inside part of the treat is completely worn away and it's down to the cord. It looks like the alignment is really bad, however, a mechanic told me that this type of wear is common on the E350's. He said they set them up this way. The handling is good and it seems to track properly, so I don't think the alignment is bad, but I'd like to know if anyone else has experienced this problem.

I'll be replacing the tires immediately (I just noticed the problem yesterday) and would appreciate recommendations on replacement tires.

Since the mid 90's there has been no accurate Camber and Caster adjustment facility fitted OEM!

Only current adjustment is front and rear Toe.

To attempt to return vehicle to factory specs to resolve premature inner edge tire wear, improve traction, fix steering pull the only alternative for Camber and Caster is to fit offset, slotted bolts.

But these are inaccurate one only position bolts with a minuscule .3 of one degree adjustment.

After installation many owners then go on to stating dealerships or alignment shops still did not get it right/fix the problem.

We saw the need therefore "to fix it right the first time" by designing, developing, patenting (and re-instating from the 1990's) a fully adjustable front suspension.

The current K-MAC kits have up to 4 times the adjustment of the one position offset bolts (both Positive or Negative). And unlike the bolts can be accurately adjusted - under load, direct on alignment turntable (no need to jack and reinstall each time).

Ongoing precise adjustment of both Camber and Caster settings if altering suspension height, fitting wide profile tires/wheels or for curb knock damage with the unique K-MAC patented design is just a single wrench/no dis-assembly.

For the rear similar kits for precise Camber adjustment with additional Toe to compensate for the new Camber facility.

Bonus with the four front and four rear bushes is that they are designed with twice the load bearing area and also replace the highest wearing suspension bushings.

Last edited by K-Mac; 05-26-2014 at 01:25 AM.