Sponsored by:

OM648 boost stock vs tuned?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-27-2019, 09:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E320 CDI
OM648 boost stock vs tuned?

All I have a 2005 CDI and using torque pro to measure perameters i am getting 22.5psi at WOT. I searched but caint find a difinitve answer on what peak stock boost should be. I see 17psi mentioned but just wanted to confirm. Also with a stage 1 tune (GDE, Malone,Rocket chip..) WHat are yall seeing for peak boost? I have a feeling this car is already tuned. Thanks.
The following users liked this post:
IBelieve (04-30-2019)
Old 01-27-2019, 11:01 PM

Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts
W211 e320 CDI
The highest I have data logged was 33.1 psi indicated. Ecu is running a hybrid (not totally generic) GDE tune, straight pipe, non stock manifold and a few other items like zero EGR. Mine is an 06 om648. We have high speed limits in rural Texas and on tollways, with said mods 85mph averages about 11 psi boost at 600 feet MSL. My new intake I’m putting together has goal of lowering peak boost pressure but increasing charge density in intake manifold and motor, more than one way to skin a cat...hybrid turbo also under construction which will bring boost level back up but until I’ve got more intercooler core area than my +1 size current cooler I think it will be the airflow choke point, guessing with basic cooler change to Bluetec cooler from OM642 I’m only capable of moving about 300 bhp worth of air efficiently.

Unfortunately I never tried logging peak boost 9 years ago when car was dead stock....222k miles later, it still spools easily to 30+ under 2500 rpm

Last edited by Micah / AF1 Rac; 01-27-2019 at 11:04 PM.
Old 01-28-2019, 09:35 PM

E320 CDI
Originally Posted by Micah / AF1 Rac
The highest I have data logged was 33.1 psi indicated. Ecu is running a hybrid (not totally generic) GDE tune, straight pipe, non stock manifold and a few other items like zero EGR. Mine is an 06 om648. We have high speed limits in rural Texas and on tollways, with said mods 85mph averages about 11 psi boost at 600 feet MSL. My new intake I’m putting together has goal of lowering peak boost pressure but increasing charge density in intake manifold and motor, more than one way to skin a cat...hybrid turbo also under construction which will bring boost level back up but until I’ve got more intercooler core area than my +1 size current cooler I think it will be the airflow choke point, guessing with basic cooler change to Bluetec cooler from OM642 I’m only capable of moving about 300 bhp worth of air efficiently.

Unfortunately I never tried logging peak boost 9 years ago when car was dead stock....222k miles later, it still spools easily to 30+ under 2500 rpm
Very cool just caught up to reading the mods you did. The cooler is definitely a joke. May have to pick up a 642 intercooler as I didnt know they were any better. Maybe a better number to look at is MAF numbers at boost? Im at 700 ASL so that could show similar flow assuming tuning dosent fool with MAF signal. I wouldn't think it would as thats a very old school way to tune.

I still havent found a post with what stock boost should be. Hopefully somebody chimes in here. Im running out of search key words.
Old 01-28-2019, 11:39 PM

W211 e320 CDI
No cheating MAF on mine. The 642 charge cooler is just SLIGHTLY bigger, one more bar running across if memory serves. I’m likely going water/air n next cooler, after trying that out n another gasoline turbo Benz I’m sold! I’ve also got water/methanol so cooler core size may actually be a significant limitation.
Old 01-29-2019, 04:35 PM

E320 CDI
One more row on a tube and fin cooler is not worth the effort. I guess Ill have to fab up a cheap bar and plate to see any real gains. Im really waiting on Baldur to finalize the standalone for OM648. Should be setup like his DSL1 controller for the OM606. But you would think a simple question like "What is the stock peak boost on a 2005-6 CDI US spec is"? would be some of the easiest info to find.
Old 01-29-2019, 09:17 PM

W211 e320 CDI
Actually I have found that VERY few people modify these cars, there are some smart tuner folks here on this forum but the vast majority of Benz wners are not DIY types or performance oriented moderation of their cars. If guessing I’d say 24 psi or so, seems like peak stock boost on two of my fords, an 642 Sprinter and a CRD Jeep in the fleet?
Old 01-29-2019, 09:37 PM

E320 CDI
Yea its crazy that nobody is modding these things especially as cheap as they can be found. Everyone mods the BMW M57 but not so much with the OM648. So after searching this is all I have found stock boost psi? This guy is saying 17psi?
So why is my supposed stock car producing 22.5psi? Hmmm. It be great if the hordes of stock CDI owners could answer the question to be sure.
Old 01-30-2019, 03:10 AM

W211 e320 CDI
Probably build up of carbon in ports and runners and EGR “up pipe”. Ecu is allowing extra boost to compensate for reduced volume in those spots if I were guessing.
Old 01-30-2019, 01:18 PM

06 E320 CDI
17 PSI is the stock boost level on this car according my my scangauge II with the stock tune in the car. I believe the car should make around 21-22 psi with a tune. Much more is pushing the limits of the stock 2.5 Bar MAP sensor to where it cannot control the turbo efficiently.
Old 01-30-2019, 05:26 PM

E320 CDI
Originally Posted by drewkeen
17 PSI is the stock boost level on this car according my my scangauge II with the stock tune in the car. I believe the car should make around 21-22 psi with a tune. Much more is pushing the limits of the stock 2.5 Bar MAP sensor to where it cannot control the turbo efficiently.
Thank you! Im gonna guess and say this car was tuned when I got it then. You dont happen to have a copy of your stock factory tune do you? Going to see if I there is a way to see if this car has already been messed with. Im for sure going to go unplug the egr and see if I dont get a CE light. That would give a big clue if its been tuned.
Old 01-30-2019, 05:31 PM

06 E320 CDI
I can check and see. I should have it saved somewhere.

What are you using to view the tunes and compare?

Egr should be an easy way to confirm as well.
Old 01-30-2019, 08:50 PM

W211 e320 CDI
I do not have my car but I do have a stock file extracted via GDE from a buddies car...where to send it? My stock file died on a laptop which suffered blue screen of death many years ago, no biggie as I would never go back.
Old 01-30-2019, 09:01 PM

E320 CDI
Originally Posted by drewkeen
I can check and see. I should have it saved somewhere.

What are you using to view the tunes and compare?

Egr should be an easy way to confirm as well.
Not sure what I will use to read it. I have several different tuning programs that while they may not be able to interpret the Hex into something readable just comparing them might give a clue. But most tuners write there code in a stepped up checksum that will make the entire address locations looks completely different. At any rate I should be able to see if its a tuned file or not compared to a stock image.

I do not have my car but I do have a stock file extracted via GDE from a buddies car...where to send it? My stock file died on a laptop which suffered blue screen of death many years ago, no biggie as I would never go back.
Thanks! Ill PM you.

Old 02-02-2019, 08:42 PM

E320 CDI
Thank you everyone for the stock files sent. So I couldent see anything of significance with the software I had available to me other than to confirm my stock image closly matched other stock images. I unplugged the egr and got a CE light after it fully warmed up. So I had Malone tune the car as he has done a ALH TDi truck swap for me in the past. Stock peak requested boost is 20.2psi but its rare to have all the conditions to get it that high so most just see 17ish psi but tuned is just shy of 23psi. I just wanted a small bump in power with all the deletes. Off the line brake boosting it will haul the mail now.
Old 02-02-2019, 11:06 PM

W211 e320 CDI
Get bigger charge cooler, delete some more stuff (intake flaps/EGR/cat/dpf)..then allow 30 plus psi, once running right it’s seriously good. I suspect after next “major” service I’ll be REALLY close to or slightly over 300 bhp. Mid 260’s on a temperate day and 478 ft/lbs under 2500 rpm. Minor mods. Next manifold and piping going on along with port and inlet valve cleaning (media blast kit $40 on Amazon) I’m not upping boost right now, it should remain about steady unless new cooler and non resonated intercooler pipes work as expected and air mass goes up, temp down, at 30 psi MAX. Flow and water/methanol should make a very dense charge combine with bigger IC, non restricted or resonated plumbing well, new manifold as well.
Old 02-02-2019, 11:46 PM

E320 CDI
Im going to try my hardest not to do to much more as my original plan was find a running om648 car and drive it until there was an option to run this motor stand alone so I could throw it into a larger family hauler. The stock ecu is kinda doable but it would require some ecu board surgery unless I wanted to hide the cluster and key and a few other can inputs somewhere in the swapped vehicle. Good news though it seems Baldur is building a standalone for these motors and he will probably be done with it before we are ready to pull the motor. But plans change and I might keep this car and look for another wrecked CDI to use for those plans.
Old 02-25-2020, 09:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 E320 CDI
Water/Methanol Injection

Get bigger charge cooler, delete some more stuff (intake flaps/EGR/cat/dpf)..then allow 30 plus psi, once running right it’s seriously good. I suspect after next “major” service I’ll be REALLY close to or slightly over 300 bhp. Mid 260’s on a temperate day and 478 ft/lbs under 2500 rpm. Minor mods. Next manifold and piping going on along with port and inlet valve cleaning (media blast kit $40 on Amazon) I’m not upping boost right now, it should remain about steady unless new cooler and non resonated intercooler pipes work as expected and air mass goes up, temp down, at 30 psi MAX. Flow and water/methanol should make a very dense charge combine with bigger IC, non restricted or resonated plumbing well, new manifold as well.
Thanks for all your advice. I have an '05 CDI (175,000 miles) with a RaceIQ "Eco Tune," and it's been running great - 45 mpgs on the freeway (65 mph/summer driving). I'm looking at a water/methanol injection kit from Snow Performance. The increase in power and fuel economy is great, but the methanol mix is so expensive it doesn't come close to justifying the mod to save fuel costs. Despite this, a reason why I was considering installing the kit was to clean the injection ports and valves and keep them clean; I'm seeing that the water/methanol mix does a great job of removing carbon buildup. Do you think it's risky doing this, as opposed to just removing in the intake manifold and cleaning it? I'm not confident enough to do this myself, so it's either asking the dealer to clean it or installing the water/methanol kit. Thoughts?