Sponsored by:

MB bluetec lawsuit in USA

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-28-2021, 12:25 AM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
R350
Originally Posted by Etienne Lau
That's exactly how I am interpreting the entire issue. The lawsuit that we are all in is based on marketing claims and failing to meet marketing claims and nothing about breaking or not meeting EPA requirements. So yah, another 3-5 years for those that want to jump onto another lawsuit.....By then the vehicles will likely be worthless and sold-off.....and/or broken down....Good luck to those that want to go down that path.
It is normal that different people have different opinions. I will not surprised to hear that some MB owners even donate $4000 or so to MB USA to compensate them for the harassment they go through by EPA.
Diesel cars will be hard to find soon. Owning one is fun!
Old 05-28-2021, 01:02 AM

Received 113 Likes on 94 Posts
'22 GLE 350 | '15 ML250 | '87 560SL | '19 GLC 300 | '12 C250 (sold) | '02 ML500 | '98 C230
Originally Posted by Steven Gu
It is normal that different people have different opinions. I will not surprised to hear that some MB owners even donate $4000 or so to MB USA to compensate them for the harassment they go through by EPA.
Diesel cars will be hard to find soon. Owning one is fun!
sure, find us someone to donate to a multi billion dollar corporation with corporate liability insurance for just this reason

Enough nonsense with this thread. What happened to common sense
Old 05-28-2021, 09:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,735 Likes on 1,384 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
When donating to MB USA might be 1 story, my father had to donate his 1987 MB diesel as he could not find a buyer. I have seen several W124 advertised by Charites in CA.
I sold 2 Bluetecs for low thousands, when they were in excelent shape, so when you would have to sell the car for $5000 and kbb gives it $12k and you are in high tax bracket, it makes more sense to donate.
But now having 4 years warranty on excelent cars, I don't think Bluetec owners will rush to give the cars away.
Old 05-28-2021, 10:32 AM

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
2015 E 250, 1999 BMW M Roadster, 1939 International Harvester, 2023 GLC
Had my work done this week to my E250. Going in I knew my add blue heater was broken. Initial dealer report confirmed and had a broken heater with replacement at $2,700. I asked the service manager to go to bat for me to get this also covered by MB. They did and Mercedes paid for the parts and labor for the add blue heater. Car feels a bit more peppy but this may be due to a full system re-set. Over time the trans shift points adapt to driving style and mine is really mellow so I expect in time this perceived peppy-ness will fade.
Old 05-30-2021, 03:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
cl55
Message came up to refill my def. haven’t put 100 miles one the car since getting it back. Filling up the def is not part of the aem update?
Old 05-30-2021, 03:20 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
2018 SL450
Originally Posted by Mark3133
Message came up to refill my def. haven’t put 100 miles one the car since getting it back. Filling up the def is not part of the aem update?
Was your DEF nearly empty before the campaign? My DEF started burning after the campaign, as the temperature sensor was out. It took three weeks for my dealer to fix. I think the bill to Mercedes was in the thousands.
Old 05-30-2021, 03:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
cl55
Originally Posted by MarylandGLK250B
Was your DEF nearly empty before the campaign? My DEF started burning after the campaign, as the temperature sensor was out. It took three weeks for my dealer to fix. I think the bill to Mercedes was in the thousands.
It was nearly empty. I just assumed they would fill it as part of the aem update. Guesss not. Oh well, I get it for cheap on eBay anyways.
Old 05-30-2021, 10:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,735 Likes on 1,384 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
Filling up DEF is part of regural maintenance.
When 4 years extended warranty is great thing, I can only wonder when owners will require flat tire replacement covered by it.
The following users liked this post:
Pmount1! (06-01-2021)
Old 06-01-2021, 02:49 PM

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
W212 E250 BT 4M
The same thing happens to me and I also noticed that the start/stop button is not working.
Took it back to the dealer the next day. Two weeks later they still working on it trying to find the issue. Really glad that I got a loaner even though i can't say that I like GLAs
Old 06-03-2021, 11:51 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 ML350 Bluetec
Originally Posted by we47b1me
can't wait to hear how much money you don't get, and how your parts aren't warrantied at all
You are confused. The diesel update and warranty have nothing to do with the financial settlement for owners and previous owners.

I did my update at a dealer and have the warranty, and have opted out of the settlement and hired a law firm for that completely separate issue.

Last edited by DUEWIP; 06-03-2021 at 11:55 PM.
Old 06-03-2021, 11:55 PM

'22 GLE 350 | '15 ML250 | '87 560SL | '19 GLC 300 | '12 C250 (sold) | '02 ML500 | '98 C230
Originally Posted by DUEWIP
You are confused. The diesel update and warranty have nothing to do with the financial settlement for owners and previous owners.

I did my update at a dealer and have the warranty, and have opted out of the settlement and hired a law firm for that separate issue.
dear lord. F*ing amateur hour.
Old 06-04-2021, 12:01 AM

2013 ML350 Bluetec
Ambulance chasing attorneys for the class action variety. They don't understand the intricacies of this versus the VW lawsuit. What people aren't realizing is the insane warranty MB is offering you for opting in, not only on the parts they're replacing, but close to the equivalent of a CPO warranty on critical components. But again, godspeed to the folks that think MB is going to do a buyback scenario close to the VW one. I'll take the added warranty + the 4k payout from MB any day.
You REALLY are confused. You are not being offered a warranty to opt in. Anyone who does the update gets the warranty.

Opt in (or opt out) refers to a COMPLETELY SEPARATE issue of suing MBUSA for the class action against them which has nothing to do with the EPA settlement.

You are quick to snap at people here as if you know it all but you come off as a troll when you don't get your issues straight first.
Old 06-04-2021, 12:06 AM

You REALLY are confused. You are not being offered a warranty to opt in. Anyone who does the update gets the warranty.

Opt in (or opt out) refers to a COMPLETELY SEPARATE issue of suing MBUSA for the class action against them which has nothing to do with the EPA settlement.

You are quick to snap at people here as if you know it all but you come off as a troll when you don't get your issues straight first.
maybe it's the law degree and corporate practice I have that is messing my head up. you must, as a newbie here, see something I don't.

Bye, Felicia.
Old 06-04-2021, 12:17 AM

2013 ML350 Bluetec
maybe it's the law degree and corporate practice I have that is messing my head up. you must, as a newbie here, see something I don't.

Bye, Felicia.
Do you and your law degree want the place to yourself? You will always rank very high in a world of your own making...

In above posts you conflate the warranty (which is not an offer, it is automatically applied if you do the update) with the financial settlement. They have nothing to do with one another. You do not need to opt in to the class settlement in order to get the update or the warranty. Stop confusing newbies.

Old 06-04-2021, 12:20 AM

Do you and your law degree want the place to yourself? You will always rank very high in a world of your own making...

In above posts you conflate the warranty (which is not an offer, it is automatically applied if you do the update) with the financial settlement. They have nothing to do with one another. You do not need to opt in to the class settlement in order to get the update or the warranty. Stop confusing newbies.
ok
Old 06-05-2021, 06:13 PM

Received 162 Likes on 120 Posts
1986 Light Ivory R107 560SL, 2020 Lunar Blue W205 C300 AMG-line
The poster and a number of others on here are planning on opting out and filing a separate lawsuit to force MB to buy back their vehicles. They are comparing MB situation with VW. Sadly they are missing the point, which is VW is/was unable to repair a number of their vehicles to meet EPA and CARB requirements, because they could not and cannot install the DEF system to compensate for the NOX emissions. While in MB's case they are able to apply the repairs to make them compliant with EPA and CARB requirements.

Remember VW ECU explicitly turn on/off their emissions system based on whether it was being tested on 2 or 4 wheel rolling road/dyno. While MB's issue is they turned off the emissions systems when vehicles were being driven in colder temperature, but the emissions system were working in warmer/normal operating temperature. What bother's me the most is EGR and other gasoline vehicle emissions systems are also turned off in colder temperature and yet we don't see EPA or CARB bouncing all over that!!! Which is why I think this entire issue is a political issue rather than an actual "we need to bring all vehicles into compliance", if they were after actual compliance, they would be after all other petro/gasoline vehicles as well which they are not. It's purely political.
I just found this thread and I’m very happy I found someone who actually understands what is going on. We have a sprinter which was affected, did the recall and opted in for the settlement.

Many people are quick to think that mercedes pulled the same s*** VW did by purposely cheating the tests with defeat devices and deceiving the public, which is not true. Mercedes vehicles for the most part, met emissions requirements and only turned off the emissions system in cold temperatures, like gas cars as you mentioned! If I’m not mistaken, the EPA actually never found any defeat devices with similar purpose as VW’s.

It is my opinion that when people saw the success of the VW scandal and the lawsuits, they jumped all over it with Mercedes for the cold temperature shut off. With this logic we should recall most gas cars!
Etienne Lau (06-05-2021)
Old 06-05-2021, 06:54 PM

Received 113 Likes on 98 Posts
Ml350 bluetec
Originally Posted by 2010C-class
With this logic we should recall most gas cars!
Exactly! Every single gasoline/petro powered vehicle sold by every car company would be included in a lawsuit. All gasoline/petro power vehicles shut off emissions during cold cycle. Some examples of this are EGR valves are turned on/off at various parts of the drive cycle, ie cold temperature, wide open throttle, etc.... Gasoline/petro vehicles today that use GDI produce soot just like diesel vehicles except, diesels are required to have DPF, but wait gasoline/petro vehicles where is the GPF(Soot Filter).

Let's all file a lawsuit and go after the Ford, GM, VW, Honda, Toyota, Hyundai, Kia, Merces, Nissan, etc...Have you guys looked at soot on the tail pipe of the GDI vehicles and then compared the clean tail pipe of the Bluetec? I have, and it's night and day. The DPF keeps the Bluetec tailpipe nice and clean, but the GDI engines, are black as ever.
Old 06-05-2021, 07:54 PM

Exactly! Every single gasoline/petro powered vehicle sold by every car company would be included in a lawsuit. All gasoline/petro power vehicles shut off emissions during cold cycle. Some examples of this are EGR valves are turned on/off at various parts of the drive cycle, ie cold temperature, wide open throttle, etc.... Gasoline/petro vehicles today that use GDI produce soot just like diesel vehicles except, diesels are required to have DPF, but wait gasoline/petro vehicles where is the GPF(Soot Filter).

Let's all file a lawsuit and go after the Ford, GM, VW, Honda, Toyota, Hyundai, Kia, Merces, Nissan, etc...Have you guys looked at soot on the tail pipe of the GDI vehicles and then compared the clean tail pipe of the Bluetec? I have, and it's night and day. The DPF keeps the Bluetec tailpipe nice and clean, but the GDI engines, are black as ever.
Exactly!! If I look at the tail pipes of my 2020 C300 with almost 11k miles, they are super black! One of which was just replaced 2k miles ago after I was rear ended. I will admit I do drive it a little hard hahaha so it might be a littler darker than average. From what I’ve heard, they shut off the emissions in those circumstances (gas and diesel) to stop from damaging the engine and emissions systems.

But seriously, what’s stopping us from going after gas cars for the same logic? This whole settlement has shown that people will sue for anything. It isn’t about making a company pay for its lack of morals, cough VAG cough, it’s about making an easy buck at the expense of others.
Old 06-06-2021, 12:09 AM

R350
I just found this thread and I’m very happy I found someone who actually understands what is going on. We have a sprinter which was affected, did the recall and opted in for the settlement.

Many people are quick to think that mercedes pulled the same s*** VW did by purposely cheating the tests with defeat devices and deceiving the public, which is not true. Mercedes vehicles for the most part, met emissions requirements and only turned off the emissions system in cold temperatures, like gas cars as you mentioned! If I’m not mistaken, the EPA actually never found any defeat devices with similar purpose as VW’s.

It is my opinion that when people saw the success of the VW scandal and the lawsuits, they jumped all over it with Mercedes for the cold temperature shut off. With this logic we should recall most gas cars!
Great company MB has been harassed by EPA and EU EPA to pay billions for this!
Why not we donate money to MB to compensate their losses?

Old 06-06-2021, 02:51 AM

Great company MB has been harassed by EPA and EU EPA to pay billions for this!
Why not we donate money to MB to compensate their losses?
No need for you to get all sarcastic when I mention that I opted IN for the settlement. I’m just stating facts, that this is something ALL gas cars on the market do, so how exactly is this any different?
Old 06-06-2021, 03:20 PM

R350
No need for you to get all sarcastic when I mention that I opted IN for the settlement. I’m just stating facts, that this is something ALL gas cars on the market do, so how exactly is this any different?
No intention to offend. Just followed the logics.
In maths, one of the most challenging issue is: many foundmental theories can not be proved, they are self referencing. Means in order to prove theory A is right, you have to prove theory A is wrong. But most folks don't even bother, far away from their everyday life.

As for the bluetec cheating thing, besides cold temperature, I seemed read from somewhere the cheating software also skip the emission control system in many daily driving situation. The result is more NOX emitted, but better mileage and less use of DEF fluid. Bosch supplied such cheating ware to many car manufacturers. If you are really interested, just search and read more info.

Last edited by Steven Gu; 06-06-2021 at 04:05 PM.
Old 06-06-2021, 06:33 PM

No intention to offend. Just followed the logics.
In maths, one of the most challenging issue is: many foundmental theories can not be proved, they are self referencing. Means in order to prove theory A is right, you have to prove theory A is wrong. But most folks don't even bother, far away from their everyday life.

As for the bluetec cheating thing, besides cold temperature, I seemed read from somewhere the cheating software also skip the emission control system in many daily driving situation. The result is more NOX emitted, but better mileage and less use of DEF fluid. Bosch supplied such cheating ware to many car manufacturers. If you are really interested, just search and read more info.
From what I’ve seen in the settlement, the EPA never admitted to finding cheat devices like VW. The other driving situations include things like full throttle (gas cars shut off emissions under full load as well), and going up a steep incline where u need more power. I read an article a while back that stated the the EPA only found defeat devices similarly used to the ones by VAG in FCA cars. The “issue” with bluetec was that this was never disclosed to people, however it’s not disclosed when you buy a gas car either. VW and FCA went in and completely cheated the tests, and those cars where heavy over polluters, bluetec vehicles followed the same ideals as a conventional GDI car, but yet here we are.
Etienne Lau (06-06-2021)
Old 06-06-2021, 06:40 PM

I would like to clear something up, which I think I made sound kind of confusing. VW abs FCA defeat devices were designed to fool tests. The bluetec vehicles aren’t free of defeat devices, instead they are similar to the ones found in GDI vehicles, where they defeat emissions under certain circumstances. Many articles refer to these defeat devices, but very few actually explain them.
Etienne Lau (06-06-2021)
Old 06-06-2021, 08:50 PM

Ml350 bluetec
How is turning off emissions under cold temperature cheating? Gasoline engines do the same thing for EGR as an example. DEF fluid freezes when it's too cold (12F/-11C), so if any diesel engine is unable to pump the DEF fluid until the DEF fluid heater has heated up the fluid, you would define that as cheating, following your logic "bluetec cheating"!!!!

Yes there is no denying that more NOX is emitted during the period where the DEF fluid is frozen. MB and EPA both have stated that this is not an issue. However the law firm that is involved in this lawsuit has decided to file their claim that this is unacceptable as Mercedes claim their vehicles do not pollute. Their lawsuit is not about MB not meeting EPA requirements it's about marketing/false advertising! And that is why the payments to the car owners are nothing compared to VW paid their owners. In VW case, they outright cheated by turning off their emissions systems entirely as it causes dramatic performance loss. In order for VW to fix their vehicles properly, they would have had to install DEF system where none existed.

In MB case, to "fix" there issue, they have re-programmed their vehicles to get them up to operating temperature faster(Owners are reporting better throttle response), and replaced the Catalyst with Copper Catalyst to enhance it's ability reduce NOX during cold temperature driving to mitigate the fact the DEF fluid is frozen.
Old 06-06-2021, 08:55 PM

Ml350 bluetec
@Steven Gu Suggested reading: https://www.epa.gov/enforcement/daim...ettlement-faqs

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: MB bluetec lawsuit in USA