Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MB bluetec lawsuit in USA

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-15-2020, 08:24 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2013 Mercedes ML350 Bluetec
Buyback would be perfect penalty for dragging this whole deal 4 years ,Bugerex I believe you are right , this will be somewhat like Jeep /Dodge Diesel Settlement $3000 per car for which crime definitely paid out for Mercedes in this case , they got away with all the loot. You buy a 2013 S350 Bluetec for 93 gees and get only $3000 if even maybe 1500 as second owner, secondly increased diesel consumption, bluetec fluid , and huge turbo lag like VW did hmm this whole settlement sucks except for lawyers they will cash out huge money .
Old 08-15-2020, 09:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,384 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
Originally Posted by Benzman444
except for lawyers they will cash out huge money .
I think this is the principal system stand on?
Old 08-16-2020, 09:50 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,934 Likes on 3,098 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by geniushanbiao
I'm quite curious what the government will do if I don't respond to the settlement? Diesel emission is exempt in PA. I guess that payment is an incentive to bait us to do the retune. If we don't respond, then we don't get the payment. simple.

My guess is that the tune will simply increase the recirculation of air through EGR, which is the main method to reduce NOx emission. The SCR injection is probably not quite tunable.
@geniushanbiao I lived in PA when I opted into the VW claim, and agree that diesel is not part of the "emissions" portion of the required annual inspection. This means the Commonwealth doesn't care if you participate in the settlement or not, based on diesel emissions exemption from annual inspection. I lived in IN when I received compensation and VW bought the vehicle back. An option for affected owners in the VW settlement was to opt out. Opting out meant no compensation, and no right to file a complaint against (sue) VW in the future. I don't think many people opted out of the VW settlement, because the vehicles had significant problems, and the cash + buyback or repair scenarios were more attractive than living with an unrepaired vehicle.

Last edited by chassis; 08-16-2020 at 10:02 AM.
Old 08-16-2020, 10:24 AM

Received 113 Likes on 98 Posts
Ml350 bluetec
My guess is that the tune will simply increase the recirculation of air through EGR, which is the main method to reduce NOx emission. The SCR injection is probably not quite tunable.
It's exempt here in Texas as well. However they likely would increase the SCR injection to reduce NOX as well as increase EGR. EGR esulting in poor performance. DEF needing more frequent refill.

If they paid me money as compensation, I'd take the money and get both systems deleted.
Old 08-16-2020, 05:25 PM

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
E250 Diesel
this is just the settlement with various government agencies, I believe. Isn't there a separate class action suit going on?
Old 08-17-2020, 06:19 PM

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
E250 GLE300d
So what's the likely story here? $3K compensation and extended warranty in return for allowing them to reprogram (and degrade) the system?

What options do we have? If you opt out of the settlement are you likely to ever get anything? If we opt out are we still obligated (legally) to take the reprogramming?

I understand we're a month away from details but I'm curious about what people think based on recent precedent.

I'm assuming there isn't a re-purchase option here? Or do we expect that?

/
Old 08-17-2020, 06:32 PM

I think for as much these cars cost new and to maintain all the time, $3000 per vehicle is absolutely nothing. It is an insult if anything else. Government got paid , lawyers got paid and we all will get screwed because they agreed Daimler cooperated with them fully ??????? and yes they all made that deal for us. I think everyone should opt out and make a new class action lawsuit for the compensation like the VW was required to do. The cars will never be the same when updated and fixed ; they will take more fuel overall , Bluetec fluid etc and more maintenance. It will be different car. This all deal that they made because they were ownest dragging the whole deal for 4 years by lying and in my opinion cheating Daimler got away with a murder.
Old 08-17-2020, 09:07 PM

Ml350 bluetec
@benzman Here is the issue, if we all opt out and file another class action lawsuit, what are you going to claim that is not already being addressed in the current class action lawsuit? The judge likely argue, why did you all opt-out? You had your chance and too bad. The $3000 is essentially compensation for loss of value of the vehicle. Keep in mind, the the case of VW, it was not agreeable by parties involved (EPA, CARB and VW) for the vehicles without SCR to be fixed/retrofitted in anyway to compensate for the NOX emissions, and VW elected to buy back those vehicles. In the case of those of us with the VW Touareg and certain VW Passat's we were given the option for either buy back or the fix because SCR as it was already installed on the vehicle. So in our case The $3000 compensation is not different than what VW offered to the Touareg and Passat owners. So I am not sure why you feel the $3000 is inadequate.

And also we at this time do not know just what this fix MB will implement and in what way this fix will or will not affect performance. You at this time are assuming the fix will have the same/similar performance issues as VW, which is very foolish assumption.
Old 08-17-2020, 09:30 PM

These cars couldn't of shouldn't of ever being legally sold here, why Mazda or Nissan or for that matter any other company did not pull this low life move. They made huge profits by selling them illegally here so don't defend them in any way. And you are contempt with 3k only for loss of value? what loss? are you talking about? You pay for the car 2013 S350 bluetec $93000 and get 3000 for your loss. Not to mention all the Innocent people dying because of their pollution. Let me ask you this on whose side are you on ? . They cheated and lied, If the option was on the table , 98.00% of the people owning them would take the buyback including myself. All what Im saying they are getting away with murder just because they cooperated hmm what a bs.
Old 08-17-2020, 10:02 PM

Received 64 Likes on 52 Posts
2012 ML350 Bluetec, 2015 GL350 Bluetec
These cars couldn't of shouldn't of ever being legally sold here, why Mazda or Nissan or for that matter any other company did not pull this low life move. They made huge profits by selling them illegally here so don't defend them in any way. And you are contempt with 3k only for loss of value? what loss? are you talking about? You pay for the car 2013 S350 bluetec $93000 and get 3000 for your loss. Not to mention all the Innocent people dying because of their pollution. Let me ask you this on whose side are you on ? . They cheated and lied, If the option was on the table , 98.00% of the people owning them would take the buyback including myself. All what Im saying they are getting away with murder just because they cooperated hmm what a bs.
If they are not buying back the vehicle and "fixing" it, then we as owners have to care about how long the vehicle is going to last after their "fix". Like we discussed above, what they will most likely do is to increase the EGR flow and increase the injection of DEF to reduce the NOx release that they were accused of. Those will basically result in shorter engine life and more frequent topping of the DEF. You think the shortened engine life can be compensated by this $3k? That's essentially a joke.

For the pollution, if you really care about it, don't drive any car and just walk or bike. ANY car pollutes in some way, including the so-called "clean" electric cars. Several articles have talked about this topic and found that the current electric cars actually pollute our environment no better than ICE cars, just in a different manner. At least for now, driving on the road means creating pollution, no matter what kind of car you drive. As a matter of fact, if you use electricity in your home, you are creating pollution of some sort as well.
The following users liked this post:
Etienne Lau (08-17-2020)
Old 08-17-2020, 10:24 PM

I think they should give us at least lets call it Trade in option, to trade it for the New car 20-25 gees Credit , that would be something decent.
Old 08-17-2020, 10:44 PM

Ml350 bluetec
I am not defending them in anyway, if you want to believe that go ahead. I am just presenting the facts between the VW situation and MB situation, if you don't like the facts too bad. Did I deny they cheated? Again those are your words not mine. Did I say anything about people dying of pollution? Those are your words not mine. You enjoy putting words into my mouth. Just presenting facts as I went through the entire VW process.
Jfxogara (03-13-2023)
Old 08-18-2020, 12:24 AM

I think they should give us at least lets call it Trade in option, to trade it for the New car 20-25 gees Credit , that would be something decent.
I have to say that in those types of "class action" cases on emission, those benefit the most would be legal pettifoggers and we as consumers will only get whatever leftover after those lawyers pick up their full load, plus since the manufacturer/defender paid so much for those cases the bill will be spread over to new vehicles if we purchase again from the manufacturer. It's a sad fact that the class action is becoming a game between the EPA/CARB, lawyers and the manufacturer, and we consumers are essentially not included in the game.

We as consumers are just trying to buy a vehicle that the performance/economy/function/appearance make sense for ourselves and try to make the most out of it. And this game might hurt all of us because they might mandate the retune to sacrifice our engine life for some trivial emission result. The emission problem is actually between the manufacturer and EPA/CARB.
Etienne Lau (08-21-2020)
Old 08-18-2020, 01:27 AM

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
glk
btw, i just assumed 3k by dividing 700M by 250000 cars. It could be less, it could be based on % value of car... we find out next month. It's clear its simply not enough for any kind of buy back or sweet trade-in offer..
Old 08-18-2020, 12:42 PM

Ml350 bluetec
If you are sooooo worked up about the death and pollution, why do you still own and drive your diesel. Why did you buy one in the first place? I don't get it, you're so worked up about all this go find your own lawyer and file your own separate lawsuit.....Am I happy with the $3000? you seem to think I am! I am certainly not happy with the possible $3000, but I would rather get the $3000 than nothing at all, I am making the best of the situation.

When I look back at the VW process that I went through, I regret turning it in for the buyback, I should have kept the vehicle and taken the compensation for getting the fix done to the vehicle. And then turn around and did a Malone Tune/delete, there is no emissions testing done here in Texas.
Old 08-19-2020, 03:38 PM

E250 Diesel
Originally Posted by bugelrex
btw, i just assumed 3k by dividing 700M by 250000 cars. It could be less, it could be based on % value of car... we find out next month. It's clear its simply not enough for any kind of buy back or sweet trade-in offer..
Very true. It could be more or less per car. It could even be something based on each car's blue book of some kind. I'd bet the dealers will throw in their own bonus to trade in the car to get you to upgrade.

I'd also point out that many of you were doubtful this was even taking place (judging by posts from some months ago. You all dismissed the merits of the case. ) At least we have something. Best case, they let us trade it in with bonus value from the settlement. Worst case, they do the fix, no cash payout, and cars perform worse than before. Let's see what happens.
Old 08-19-2020, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by mellonc
Very true. It could be more or less per car. It could even be something based on each car's blue book of some kind. I'd bet the dealers will throw in their own bonus to trade in the car to get you to upgrade.

I'd also point out that many of you were doubtful this was even taking place (judging by posts from some months ago. You all dismissed the merits of the case. ) At least we have something. Best case, they let us trade it in with bonus value from the settlement. Worst case, they do the fix, no cash payout, and cars perform worse than before. Let's see what happens.
I guess you didn't get the point where the settlement can harm us in the following scenario. Without the settlement, we could just keep driving our OM642 powered MB. However after the settlement is made, the government MIGHT NOT ALLOW our diesel cars to be driven on the road unless we turn it in for a tuning, which might in turn cause serious adverse effect on the engine longevity. If this happens it's probably not something that can be compensated by a few thousand dollars. While this is just a speculation and it might not happen though, and I certainly don't hope it happens, but if it happens it actually makes the class action worse than nothing.
The following 2 users liked this post by geniushanbiao:
chassis (08-19-2020), mellonc (08-20-2020)
Old 08-19-2020, 08:54 PM

Well there were lots of none believers and Nay Sayers , No it will never happen, Daimler is perfect company they would never cheat etc , and so forth ; comments like These lawyers are like ambulance chasing etc if you read the previous comments it is just crazy, but we all know they finally got nailed. Since they will not pay nothing even close to VW settlement from what we know and guess, I hope for our sake they come with some nice amount of the trade in credit , I see that at this point as a last hope for something meaningful ,like I said before 3000 grand is an insult but that is my opinion, It remains to be seen on Sep 15.
Old 08-19-2020, 11:22 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,934 Likes on 3,098 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
I guess you didn't get the point where the settlement can harm us in the following scenario. Without the settlement, we could just keep driving our OM642 powered MB. However after the settlement is made, the government MIGHT NOT ALLOW our diesel cars to be driven on the road unless we turn it in for a tuning, which might in turn cause serious adverse effect on the engine longevity. If this happens it's probably not something that can be compensated by a few thousand dollars. While this is just a speculation and it might not happen though, and I certainly don't hope it happens, but if it happens it actually makes the class action worse than nothing.
The precedent set by the VW case was that the above did not happen. Consumers were given the choice to opt out of the settlement and continue on their merry ways, with a defective and unmodified vehicle, with no compensation and with no right to make a future claim against VW.

mellonc (08-20-2020)
Old 08-20-2020, 01:50 PM

E250 Diesel
good point. That's the worst case scenario that I don't either.
Old 08-21-2020, 12:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 116 Likes on 74 Posts
2016 Cls63s AMG
does this qualify the CDIs 2005 e320 cdi
Old 08-21-2020, 08:31 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2014 GL350 Bluetec X166
Originally Posted by berti_00
does this qualify the CDIs 2005 e320 cdi
don’t think so on the 2005. They did not have dpfs nor all the other crappy emission control systems.
Old 08-21-2020, 08:51 PM

Old 08-22-2020, 08:06 AM

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
glk
Mb should also be forced to buyback at "current bluebook". Every other dealer is going to crazy lowball trade-in as the demand for mb diesel is too low after scandal.
The following 4 users liked this post by bugelrex:
andedave (09-15-2020), Benzman444 (08-22-2020), chassis (08-22-2020), mellonc (08-24-2020)
Old 08-22-2020, 09:13 AM

In my humble opinion this settlement is plain bs. We will see the details on Sep15. Here is funny point and listen to this guys ; because they " cooperated " with the Investigators hm so because they drag all this Investigation for 4 Years ; they will get rewarded from the Government, basically with the slap on the wrist like Fiat/Jeet Dodge reward did $ 3000 per car , First owner gets 1500 last 1500 . This settlement is a rip off. Everyone will get paid except the owners. They Math is there they cannot sugar code it. I believe Buyback would be the only remedy and fit punishment for MB.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: MB bluetec lawsuit in USA