Diesel Forum Forum for Diesel engine vehicle related discussion

Modern Mercedes Diesel

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-19-2024, 02:29 PM

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
E250 GLE300d
Modern Mercedes Diesel

I would like to buy a new Mercedes diesel. Yes I know they won't bring them to the US anymore. I'm sad about it.

I just crossed 250K Km on my E250. I'm ready for a newer car - not because anything is wrong with my E250 - but it's coming up on 10 years old.

I wish Mercedes would bring a Hybrid Diesel to the US. Either in the S class, or E.

Take my money please.

/

Last edited by mfab; 09-19-2024 at 02:31 PM.
Old 09-19-2024, 11:06 PM
Veteran: Navy

Received 299 Likes on 213 Posts
2014 Cummins, 2014 E250 Bluetec
Yep thanks CARB and EPA. They have a serious hatred of diesel passenger cars and will stop at nothing to get rid of them. Oh and ya cant fight it.

Maybe one day.

Here in WA state the glorious leader was so hell bent on going to hybrid ferry system (which only operates in hybrid mode when the ferry is pulling into the pier or out) had the first 2 diesels that were removed plasma cut. Basically they go from 4 or 3 down to 2 or 1 diesels (cant remember) so the first two they took out they cut up as a show of anti diesel. That is literally like throwing 100-200k in the garbage. Oh did I mention they are way over budget on just about everything and could of used them as backups to the ones still installed or used them to replace ones on other ferries.
The following users liked this post:
mfab (09-20-2024)
Old 09-20-2024, 03:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 412 Likes on 343 Posts
C320
Diesel is dead in Europe.
mfab (09-20-2024)
Old 09-20-2024, 07:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 340 Likes on 271 Posts
'17 GLS450, '14 GLK250, Grandpa's Roadster
Originally Posted by Quint22
the first two they took out they cut up as a show of anti diesel.
Remember "Cash for Clunkers"?
Quint22 (09-23-2024)
Old 09-22-2024, 11:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,749 Likes on 1,394 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
I've been drooling about MB wagon diesel for over 20 years and ended up with GLE diesel. Last MB diesel wagon was sold in US in 1987.
Did they stop selling diesel sedans in US AGAIN?
With diesel sedan making > 60 mpg, the hybrid technology is just dead weight.
I searched the diesel hybrids MB was selling in US few years ago (that was S-class?) and got impression that MB make very sketchy hybrid version just to get on the propaganda page, that was strong at the time. The electric motor was very small and would not run the car alone.
Now seems electric is the future, but having 12 years old E250, I canceled my downpayment of Lucid. The E should be good and economical for next 20+ years.
Chances are that with more electric cars, diesel fuel become cheaper.

Last edited by kajtek1; 09-22-2024 at 11:57 AM.
Old 09-23-2024, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by kajtek1
I've been drooling about MB wagon diesel for over 20 years and ended up with GLE diesel. Last MB diesel wagon was sold in US in 1987.
I searched the diesel hybrids MB was selling in US few years ago (that was S-class?) and got impression that MB make very sketchy hybrid version just to get on the propaganda page, that was strong at the time. The electric motor was very small and would not run the car alone.
Now seems electric is the future, but having 12 years old E250, I canceled my downpayment of Lucid. The E should be good and economical for next 20+ years.
Good choice removing your down payment, that company probably wont be around in the future and if it does will be a long road to get anywhere. Scene a few around and they look decent but there stock is trading at around $3 a share (down from like $45). Not too good for a car company.

Unfortunately with the future inserted pres and administration diesel prices wont go anywhere but up. Even worse on the west coast. Our fearless overlord has caused a increase of .50-.60$ per gallon because of his appointed tax credit charge on fuel (gas and diesel). Its up for a vote i believe in November but the state controlling left leaning county will pass it.
Old Yesterday, 12:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C320
What's a point of an expensive, complex, impossible to maintain diesel when you can get a reliable hybrid Camry/Lexus whatever that gets over 60mpg real world while burning dirt cheap 87 octane?
Y'all need to go outside, touch grass. The diesel car is history, not just in America but in all developed counties.

Last edited by tjts1; Yesterday at 12:59 PM.
Old Yesterday, 01:51 PM

E250 GLE300d
Originally Posted by tjts1
What's a point of an expensive, complex, impossible to maintain diesel when you can get a reliable hybrid Camry/Lexus whatever that gets over 60mpg real world while burning dirt cheap 87 octane?
https://youtu.be/utBdKwTgW3w?si=_L7LaJLGQRcXa9qZ
Y'all need to go outside, touch grass. The diesel car is history, not just in America but in all developed counties.
LOL.

Diesels aren't expensive, complex or impossible to maintain. I've done all of the maintenance on my 9 year old E250 in my garage. It's been dead nuts reliable.

The diesel isn't history. Mercedes makes an E220d and the rest of the world gets to buy it.

I've driven the Lexus. It's not a car that would interest me.

I'm in the market to replace my E250. I have no idea what to buy. I'm considering an E450 (maybe the 2025 wagon, but I don't like the plastic fenders), and maybe an 2020 S. I wouldn't touch the most recent S due to the awful reviews.

It's odd that there really isn't an obvious replacement for a highway crushing sedan that can stand the test of time with an emphasis on comfort and under-stated style.

/
Old Yesterday, 01:56 PM

E250 GLE300d
Originally Posted by kajtek1
I have both of those cars too (GLE 300d and E250). Happy with both. My GLE is 2016 and feels much more modern with apple CarPlay, intelligent headlights and full leather.

The E250 is a 2015 with more miles and wear.

I can't see buying an electric car anytime soon, but maybe someone will make one worth considering. In general they are expensive, and I believe you will face 100% depreciation if you hold one for a decade.

/

Last edited by mfab; Yesterday at 01:57 PM.
Old Yesterday, 09:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C320
Originally Posted by mfab
The diesel isn't history. Mercedes makes an E220d and the rest of the world gets to buy it
Hybrids and EVs outsell that slow POS 10:1 in its home market. The best selling car in Germany is a hybrid. The second best selling car is an EV.

Diesel is dead.
Old Yesterday, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by tjts1
https://youtu.be/utBdKwTgW3w?si=_L7LaJLGQRcXa9qZ
Whats the point of a expensive, complex, impossible to maintain hybrid when ya can get a diesel that actually gets 40+mpg on the freeway doing 75mph burning diesel that cost the same as 85octane gas?

Oh forgot to add thats a 10 year old diesel. The newest om654 and subsequent hybrid are even better.

Last edited by Quint22; Yesterday at 10:00 PM.
mfab (Today)
Old Today, 12:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,749 Likes on 1,394 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
Originally Posted by mfab
I have both of those cars too (GLE 300d and E250). Happy with both. My GLE is 2016 and feels much more modern with apple CarPlay, intelligent headlights and full leather.

The E250 is a 2015 with more miles and wear.

I can't see buying an electric car anytime soon, but maybe someone will make one worth considering. In general they are expensive, and I believe you will face 100% depreciation if you hold one for a decade.

/
I park E250 as we use SUV going to the cabin and driving car once a week, we don't need 2 cars registered.
But considering the low price my 2014 with 150k miles would get, I rather keep it. One of our sons moved 2400 miles away, so cheap and fast car to get there will always be handy. Our E is loaded, so it has almost everything newer GLE has, beside 360 cameras. Still very clean, beside rock chips, but I am thinking about buying new front bumper to refresh it. Again, should be good for next 20 years.