E-Class Coupe (C207) & Cabrio (A207) 2010-: E250CDI Coupe, E350 Coupe, E350CDI Coupe, E500 Coupe, E550 Coupe [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Tint Scheduled - 3M Crystalline

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 02:19 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
2012 E550 Coupe
Tint Scheduled - 3M Crystalline

I just scheduled my car tinting for the 25th, and I'm planning to go with 3M Crystalline 70% Has anyone else had this product installed? How did you like it? Does it live up to the hype? Should I go darker? The dealer has 50, 60, and 70 in stock, and I believe 50 is the legal limit in Virginia.

Thoughts? Comments?
Old 09-04-2012, 12:54 PM

2012 E550 Coupe
For any that care, I got the tint completed and I have to say it is fabulous. I went with the 70% and it makes a dramatic difference in the heat. In fact, it's really interesting when you go around a curve and the sun moves from the side to the front. You can feel a big difference in warmth when that happens.

I plan to go back and get the windshield done with 90%. I saw an installation of it and you can't even tell it's tinted, but it'll block 95% UV and 90% IR.
Old 09-04-2012, 05:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW F10 M5
Any color change?

Originally Posted by nawlinstornado
I plan to go back and get the windshield done with 90%. I saw an installation of it and you can't even tell it's tinted, but it'll block 95% UV and 90% IR.
I called my local tint installer and they had no experience with the 3M Crystalline product, although they do install the older version of the 3M tint, I can't remember the name. Crystalline was considerably more expensive although supposedly more effective, and you seem happy with the result. One thing gives me pause though, I will want some actual color change in the window along with the UV and IR protection. The local installer would not do a windshield in the older 3M product because of legal issues i.e., darker color and visibility. If the 90% Crystalline 'tint' is OK on the windshield, do you have any color change with the 70% on the rear and sides? You did comment that you thought 50% was the limit in VA.
Old 09-05-2012, 09:28 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'12 E550C, Sierra Denali
We used Crystalline and it looks great.
Old 09-05-2012, 09:37 PM

2012 E550 Coupe
Originally Posted by Used2be
I called my local tint installer and they had no experience with the 3M Crystalline product, although they do install the older version of the 3M tint, I can't remember the name. Crystalline was considerably more expensive although supposedly more effective, and you seem happy with the result. One thing gives me pause though, I will want some actual color change in the window along with the UV and IR protection. The local installer would not do a windshield in the older 3M product because of legal issues i.e., darker color and visibility. If the 90% Crystalline 'tint' is OK on the windshield, do you have any color change with the 70% on the rear and sides? You did comment that you thought 50% was the limit in VA.
At 70%, it's not noticeable unless you're looking for it. I was trying to stay as under-the-radar as possible. What's really interesting is when the car is wet, the droplets reflect a red color off the windows. Strange, but rather cool looking.

The 90% is almost completely unnoticeable, and since my sides and rear are slightly darker, no police officer would ever realize it. They probably wouldn't think any of my windows are tinted. But it has made a dramatic difference, particularly since I have a black-on-black car.

50% Crystalline is as dark as regular 50%, and you can get it in darker shades - I think 35% is the darkest they offer. But Crystalline is the only product I know of available in 70% or 90% since other products can't actually do anything at that level.

As for working with it, I sensed that it takes some special training. They guys that did mine do a lot of Crystalline installations and the finished product is immaculate. But it looked like they had to spend more time shaping and cutting than other products I seen installed.
Old 09-05-2012, 10:01 PM

BMW F10 M5
50% Crystalline is as dark as regular 50%, and you can get it in darker shades - I think 35% is the darkest they offer. But Crystalline is the only product I know of available in 70% or 90% since other products can't actually do anything at that level.

As for working with it, I sensed that it takes some special training. They guys that did mine do a lot of Crystalline installations and the finished product is immaculate. But it looked like they had to spend more time shaping and cutting than other products I seen installed.
Thanks for your detailed explanation of how the tint works. I wasn't sure which was darker, 50% or 90%. Don't have any experience with window tint, but I like the look when it isn't too dark. I'll have a Palladium coupe and want a little contrast with darker side windows, and perhaps the rear as well. I'm assuming the panorama roof won't need anything as Mercedes describes it as tinted and heat reflecting? And there's also the mesh screen.
Old 09-06-2012, 10:31 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 E550 Coupe
Ditto. No complaints whatsoever...

Originally Posted by Dueclaws
We used Crystalline and it looks great.
Old 09-11-2012, 07:15 AM

M3
I just scheduled my car tinting for the 25th, and I'm planning to go with 3M Crystalline 70% Has anyone else had this product installed? How did you like it? Does it live up to the hype? Should I go darker? The dealer has 50, 60, and 70 in stock, and I believe 50 is the legal limit in Virginia.

Thoughts? Comments?
I want to get Crystalline, can you tell me where you had it installed at?
Old 09-11-2012, 12:00 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
'13 S5 Coupe
Originally Posted by Sammyzuko
I want to get Crystalline, can you tell me where you had it installed at?
Unless he used an authorized dealer in MD, it looks like this is probably the closest place to you

Sunshine Control Window Tinting (703) 679-8468
23571 Pebbles Run Place
Sterling VA 20166

If that doesn't work, try this:
http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...ateApplicator/
Old 09-20-2012, 12:58 PM

2012 E550 Coupe
It was Sunshine Control. It's not a visually impressive shop, but they did a great job.