E-Class Coupe (C207) & Cabrio (A207) 2010-: E250CDI Coupe, E350 Coupe, E350CDI Coupe, E500 Coupe, E550 Coupe [Coupes & Cabriolets]

E55 gone.. joined the 2012 E550 Coupe club

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 06:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
E55 gone.. joined the 2012 E550 Coupe club

Hello C207 M127 guys...

finally went to turbos from the kompressor engines...

Only had the car for a few days.. have not even gone past 90 yet..

I made a mini review on the W211 E55 forum.. but to summarize, this car is everything you need in stock form... but there are some must do's.

- Tune
- 8.5/9.5 rims and proper tires (18" size if fine)
- Remove 2nd cats or Resonator
- Improve cooling

All which should make this car very similar to stock AMG v8's..

I will eventually go back to another E AMG Sedan.. but for now really impressed with power and fuel consuption on this car.

Glad I didn't pick up a BMW 550i M Sport.. which was next on my list.

Old 04-11-2013, 06:20 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'12 E550C, Sierra Denali
Congrats and welcome the the forum.
You're going to have fun with the E coupe/M278: please keep us posted with your mods and results.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:41 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
2012 E550 Coupe
Congrats. And even without the tune, resonator delete, or an LSD, these cars are as fast as the old E55. You'll be impressed when you finally get it opened up.
Old 04-12-2013, 01:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E350 Coupe
In my opinion you just can't beat the looks of the E Coupe. The BMW even with the gaping mouth and vents of the M sport package just looks bland. Also, all the BMWs from the 1 series to the 7 series look basically the same...just different sizes. There are no other MBs that look like the E Coupe and that includes the C Coupe even though they sit on the same chassis. Congrats and enjoy your beast!!
Old 04-13-2013, 05:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

guys..

one of the first mods on my E55 was a separated Heat Exchanger that would send coolant to the IC core under the supercharger... in the OEM design the Heat Exchanger was connected by a T hose to the radiator, mixing both system.

Best to separate the circuits.

So far this car has no heat exchanger dedicated to the IC core... would need to add a dedicated HE and reservoir. Not very hard, but just need to find space.

Also removing some of the sound materials and plastics fro the hood to let heat out was a must for e55... I can already tell you this car in the summer heat 90 degree plus will have a hard time pulling strong.

Tuning is great.. but I need to see if the system can handle boost repeatedly.. with E55 adding boost with no cooling mods.. was very limiting.
Old 04-13-2013, 07:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 E550 Coupe
Originally Posted by TopGun32
guys..

one of the first mods on my E55 was a separated Heat Exchanger that would send coolant to the IC core under the supercharger... in the OEM design the Heat Exchanger was connected by a T hose to the radiator, mixing both system.

Best to separate the circuits.

So far this car has no heat exchanger dedicated to the IC core... would need to add a dedicated HE and reservoir. Not very hard, but just need to find space.

Also removing some of the sound materials and plastics fro the hood to let heat out was a must for e55... I can already tell you this car in the summer heat 90 degree plus will have a hard time pulling strong.

Tuning is great.. but I need to see if the system can handle boost repeatedly.. with E55 adding boost with no cooling mods.. was very limiting.

Well I have some bad news and some good news for you. The bad news is that nobody's done anything like what you're talking about, and the after market on this car is pretty much limited to ECU, downpipes, and a few exhaust options.

The good news is that you get to be the one that figures out a more robust aftermarket.

That said, living in Atlanta, and owning my 2012 E550 coupe for 1 year exactly, the car did just fine in the summer, I didn't really notice a big drop off in power and this is in Georgia's 95 degree heat.
Old 04-14-2013, 09:31 AM

'12 E550C, Sierra Denali
RennTech offers a separate intercooler heat exchanger and now special spark plugs for the new MBZ bi-turbo engines.
Old 04-15-2013, 08:43 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
2012 E550 Coupe
Originally Posted by np888
The bad news is that nobody's done anything like what you're talking about, and the after market on this car is pretty much limited to ECU, downpipes, and a few exhaust options.
As Dueclaws noted, there are IC heat-exchanger upgrades available. RennTech is one, but there are others. It *looks* like the M157 systems fit our car, but that's an assumption.

Originally Posted by np888
That said, living in Atlanta, and owning my 2012 E550 coupe for 1 year exactly, the car did just fine in the summer, I didn't really notice a big drop off in power and this is in Georgia's 95 degree heat.
Ditto. I live in DC, and even in 100 degree heat last summer, no issues. I even took it down to New Orleans (with 98 degrees and 100% humidity) and didn't notice a significant difference.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:21 AM

'12 E550C, Sierra Denali
Originally Posted by nawlinstornado
As Dueclaws noted, there are IC heat-exchanger upgrades available. RennTech is one, but there are others. It *looks* like the M157 systems fit our car, but that's an assumption.

Ditto. I live in DC, and even in 100 degree heat last summer, no issues. I even took it down to New Orleans (with 98 degrees and 100% humidity) and didn't notice a significant difference.
We are in the Bay Area south of Houston, TX area and haven't noticed any issues.
Old 04-15-2013, 01:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

those are encouring reports...

however its after tuning when I need to research AIT's on this car... I have a OBD2 scanner.. so I'll be doing testing pretty soon.

I already scheduled my appointment with OE tuning locally to get this this tuned.

More boost, more heat, higher AIT's.

No doubt engineers designed the system for stock set up and probably with reserves (over design) but to what limit or to what psi level of boost.. that's the catch.

Renntech's H/E is very similar to the one I had on my E55.. in fact my stock OEM H/E sitting my garage. Just need to find hoses, brackets and I could have my mechanic get this done in no time.. But first I need to see how well the car does with its current system.

The test could be something like this..

Stock run from 40 to 120 and record AIT's and current day air temp.
Tuned run from 40 to 120 and record AIT's and current day air temp.

Hoping you can do in the same day..

What you want to see is that the AIT's peak at certain level and drop off quickly in stock form..
With more boost .. what is the peak and how long does it take to come down to normal levels..

and compare the 2

running more boost is great.. but it might take the car longer to recover after a few WOT runs..

again much to learn about this car.. but should be very exciting.
Old 04-17-2013, 02:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

air boxes do have some restrictions as probably noted before.. from I can see the filter is way too thick.. and some air is restricted..

the car does not have the carbon filters as with the AMG cars.. usally its a think layer dark grey filter attached to the air filter. Removing those filters is beleived to gain some small additional horses.

its safe to say.. thinner and free flowing air filters are worth it. Not sure if BMC is worth the premium over the K&N's..
Old 04-19-2013, 07:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

took 2 resonators out (small ball looking).. kept the larger resonator in place (box looking one)

the resonators pictured are straight through design and are purely there for sound.

sound is better.. not loud at all. I think its a no brainer to get this done.

I wanted to remove the cats, thinking the car had 4 2 (primaries and 2secondaries)... but I must of not done my research right.

Car only has 2 and obviously will make huge powe once its tuned.

For now just sound by removing 2 small resonators..

BTW.. alot of piping could use less crimping and bending.. might be worth while to remove and replace with better piping.

list to do:
Tune
rims and tires
Springs
exhaust sound: Done
Attached Thumbnails E55 gone.. joined the  2012 E550 Coupe club-resonator.jpg   E55 gone.. joined the  2012 E550 Coupe club-resonator-xpipe.jpg  
Old 05-06-2013, 06:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

bought a set of OEM W212 E63 rims and tires..

The tires are a bit too chuncky for my taste.. 255/40 fronts 285/35 Contis sc3

with
8x9 ET 37 - part # A2124012502
18x9.5 ET 52 - part # A2124012602

The fronts stick out a hair too much with the 255.. I will change to MIch Pilot Super Sports at 245/50

and the rear sits a bit too tall at 285, so I will change to 275

overall.. tires much better than P zeros, obviously.. but the turn in is really nice.

Power is much linear.. less pulling back of ESP and way more grip.. (even thought the rear tires are maybe 40% left)

I wanted to stay with 18" cuz my wife drives the car with my boys..

Not sure about the droping the car in front via springs.. I would look better.. but not sure if springs are that important to me.. I rather get the tune next.
Attached Thumbnails E55 gone.. joined the  2012 E550 Coupe club-1bphoto.jpg   E55 gone.. joined the  2012 E550 Coupe club-2photo.jpg   E55 gone.. joined the  2012 E550 Coupe club-3photo.jpg   E55 gone.. joined the  2012 E550 Coupe club-side-photo.jpg  

Last edited by TopGun32; 05-06-2013 at 06:53 PM.