E-Class Coupe (C207) & Cabrio (A207) 2010-: E250CDI Coupe, E350 Coupe, E350CDI Coupe, E500 Coupe, E550 Coupe [Coupes & Cabriolets]

E400 4MATIC, new or used, versus C43 AMG (versus neither)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-13-2017, 07:19 PM
exi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
--
E400 4MATIC, new or used, versus C43 AMG (versus neither)

Long time since posting here. Have a 2010 E350 coupe. Live in a snowy place, have for years, so RWD is becoming progressively annoying and, at times, a safety issue. Moved from a not snowy place, hence the model choice. Looking for AWD two-door.

Considering an upgrade. Love the S550 coupe and S63 AMG models but don't want to spend that kind of money right now. Saw the 2018 E-class refresh. Beautiful thing -- however, optioned as I'd like, a new E400 4MATIC would be probably $60k-$70k. Have never driven a C43 AMG, but also a contender as a RWD car, even if "AMG-lite" as I understand it.

2016 onward ideal for remote start. Must be daily driver. A "beater" isn't an option.

I haven't been in any relevant vehicles since my own model year, so I don't know what all has changed / if it's changed or if there were year-specific issues. Don't know how C-class interiors are now versus when I looked around years ago when the perspective was that the E-class was so much better.

So my options then would be (a) E400 4MATIC, (b) C43 AMG, (c) wait for a year to go by with the new E-class refresh / wait to pony up for the S-class after addressing other things more financially important, not to mention depreciation hit with buying new. Curious what the forum thinks.
Old 12-14-2017, 07:48 AM

Received 143 Likes on 118 Posts
2016 E400 Coupe (C207)
Do you have any experience with run-flat tires? I recently bought a 2016 E400 coupe because I discovered that this was the last year when there was still a spare tire in the trunk; the newer models have run-flats. I was coming from a BMW with run-flats, which I just couldn't take anymore (they are loud, rough, usually cannot be repaired, and are ridiculously expensive to replace). Naturally, BMW wanted me to buy another BMW, but they haven't offered conventional tires on any models for a few years now, and Benz is headed in the same direction.
Old 12-14-2017, 10:35 AM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
2003 E500, 2004 G35X
The new E has lots of problems to some owners, read the W213 forum. Better wait another year. That's the main reason I bought my 2017 E coupe in April instead wait for few more months, no change in engines.
Old 12-14-2017, 11:51 AM
exi

--
Originally Posted by Mr. Toad
Do you have any experience with run-flat tires? I recently bought a 2016 E400 coupe because I discovered that this was the last year when there was still a spare tire in the trunk; the newer models have run-flats. I was coming from a BMW with run-flats, which I just couldn't take anymore (they are loud, rough, usually cannot be repaired, and are ridiculously expensive to replace). Naturally, BMW wanted me to buy another BMW, but they haven't offered conventional tires on any models for a few years now, and Benz is headed in the same direction.
I do -- previous car had them, and on an even stiffer suspension than any E-class. Wasn't crazy about them either, but really just depended on the rest of the car for me. Hadn't noticed they made that change; thanks for the heads up.

Originally Posted by Flash Gordon
The new E has lots of problems to some owners, read the W213 forum. Better wait another year. That's the main reason I bought my 2017 E coupe in April instead wait for few more months, no change in engines.
Some things never change about refreshes, I guess.

While I'm poking around there and in the C43 forum, anyone have any comparative thoughts as far as what to expect in differences in interior quality, how much harsher the ride might be, or otherwise between E coupes and a C43 AMG model? Looking at arranging test drives for myself.
Old 12-14-2017, 04:27 PM

2018 Audi S6
Originally Posted by Flash Gordon
The new E has lots of problems to some owners, read the W213 forum.
Could you please elaborate on that? And which forum is that? Curious if the turbo V6 is new or not; I thought it had been in the market for a while now. Haven't read much except electronic crap, with the new dash. Curious to find out more.

I'm in a similar boat to the OP. I want something relatively quiet inside, for my wife. I was considering E400 coupe and sedan, and E43 sedan, which comes standard with 4matic and airmatic. Also prefer AWD, but it's not a must. Unfortunately, on the E400 coupe, that option castrates the wheels/tires to 245s all around, rather than 245/275s.
Old 12-14-2017, 07:03 PM

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
2018 E400 Coupe, 2016 Audi A6 3.0
Hasn’t the current engine and electronics been in the sedan for a year now? I purchased the 18 E400 Coupe. The interior is heads above the C class. No comparison .As far as I’m concerned, the Coupe is a year old model with a new body. I have run flat Goodyears made in Germany. Way better than my first runflats that I had on my 06 Lexus Sc 430. Rode like a rock. I used to brace myself when a bump was coming. Changed them to Michelin non run flats which were much better. Unless you told me this MB had runflats, I would never have known.

Last edited by dudley07726; 12-15-2017 at 07:20 AM.
Old 12-15-2017, 01:27 AM
exi

--
Originally Posted by dudley07726
I purchased the 18 E400 Coupe. The interior is heads above the C class. No comparison.
This is one thing I've been wondering. I remember that was the assumption when I bought what I have now and am looking at test driving a C43 AMG -- is this still true versus the AMG C models?
Old 12-15-2017, 02:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 232 Likes on 188 Posts
Shanks’s Pony
Two very different cars........
Old 12-15-2017, 02:32 AM
exi

--
Originally Posted by rorywquin
Two very different cars........
I imagine so. I assume the C43 = little more harsh a ride, not quite as plush an interior, more sporty; conversely, E400 = finer interior, little more quiet inside, more of a subdued sporty (not that the C43 is obnoxious). I just haven't been in any recent model years of the cars and so am interested in others' experiences while working on my own test drive. I feel like in cars of this caliber, how nice an interior or how sporty versus refined they are is very relative.
Old 12-15-2017, 02:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Shanks’s Pony
It is only relative to what you require from the car.......maybe if you gave some more information you would get a lot more replies...

Do you regularly carry backseat passengers? What is your driving style ? What do you want the car do do for you - commuter - cruiser - boy racer. Do you want 2wd or 4wd (different driving experience). Size, noise, comfort, performance (not sure what the difference is between the two)? People will generally recommend to you what they own to affirm to themselves that they made the correct decision...

I like the E class but it is really just a German taxi...... ;-). I was toying with waiting for the Cabriolet before I got my SL....and opted for the SL --- I think the E class is an "old man's" car (although I'm 65 ;-)......

My car is for long trips in Europe and does hardly any miles at home - just a regular run to keep the batteries charged or a nice drive on a sunny day.
Old 12-15-2017, 11:06 AM
exi

--
Originally Posted by rorywquin
It is only relative to what you require from the car.......maybe if you gave some more information you would get a lot more replies...

Do you regularly carry backseat passengers? What is your driving style ? What do you want the car do do for you - commuter - cruiser - boy racer. Do you want 2wd or 4wd (different driving experience). Size, noise, comfort, performance (not sure what the difference is between the two)? People will generally recommend to you what they own to affirm to themselves that they made the correct decision...

I like the E class but it is really just a German taxi...... ;-). I was toying with waiting for the Cabriolet before I got my SL....and opted for the SL --- I think the E class is an "old man's" car (although I'm 65 ;-)......

My car is for long trips in Europe and does hardly any miles at home - just a regular run to keep the batteries charged or a nice drive on a sunny day.
Basically, I'm after a comfortable ride. Must be AWD as above. Rarely have rear seat passengers. Prefer something on the more cushy, quieter side yet still with performance -- think 0-60 mph in ~5 or better -- just without the boy racer bend. If I ever had a C43, I wouldn't be one of those guys tuning the hell out of it, nor would I be going to the track more than likely. I do appreciate a good, fast vehicle though. My previous car was a pure sports car. Just don't have a good feel for how "boy racer" the C43 is versus not.
Old 12-15-2017, 08:16 PM

Received 143 Likes on 133 Posts
2018 GLS450, 2017 SL63 AMG, 2021 Sprinter, 1958 Chevrolet Corvette
ext - just traded in my '14 (latest generation corvette) for the '18 E400 Cabriolet ... had the same discussion with myself as you ... what sold me on the E was the longer wheelbase, the increased track width and the headroom on the E ... the performance is actually surprising on the V6 E ... the E can fit 2 adults in the back in reasonable comfort .... I find it to be an excellent compromise of price, comfort, technology and size as I wanted something a bit more substantial then the corvette ... lastly, it is very quiet ... I have the AMG trim and the P3 package .. Best of Luck in your decision Steve
Old 12-15-2017, 08:41 PM

Received 68 Likes on 49 Posts
2017 E400 Coupe & 2018 GLC43
~ I would suggest going with an E400 Coupe 4 matic. Truly a well balanced car with nice luxuries and amenities.

Plus you could always add a tune if you would like some additional hp's down the road... others have suggested and/or added OE Tuning to push the car to just over 400hp.

Last edited by andrew e coupe; 12-19-2017 at 09:33 PM.
Old 12-22-2017, 12:41 PM
exi

--
Appreciate the thoughts, all. Had a chance to test drive both a C43 and E400, both 2018 models, to get a feel. The "baby AMG" had quite a kick, something I miss from previous cars, but the E400 was clearly the better, nicer, smoother-riding (even with the adjustable suspension set to comfort in the C43), finer, more enjoyable car.

However, as the new model refresh, I'd be looking at ~$80k optioned as I'd like. I have other things I'd like to do with that money first.

I realize I'm asking this on an MB forum, but any cross-shopping thoughts? I'd consider the Audi A5/S5, though I've only driven an A4 before. I'm not a huge BMW fan. I don't know much about newer-model Lexus offerings. Basically, my current E350 is perfectly drivable and still a nice ride. I'd like to get something with AWD and newer, but it doesn't have to be done tomorrow. I'd love an S coupe in the end. But in the meantime, I'd like to stay in more reasonable numbers, including my trade-in value (~$15k).
Old 12-22-2017, 01:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Shanks’s Pony
I've never been a big Audi fan but my son recently swapped his BMW X6 (which I think is one of the ugliest cars ever made and I hated the interior---- I looked at a 6 series cabriolet before buying the SL and was put off by the interior) for a Q7 - It is a truly lovely car --- once I get beyond enjoying my SL, I'll take a serious look at Audi. Lexus.....I still cannot get my mind around it being an expensive Japanese car.......If Im spending that dosh, I prefer German but I'm an old fart.....as I know they are good cars.
Old 12-22-2017, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by exi
Appreciate the thoughts, all. Had a chance to test drive both a C43 and E400, both 2018 models, to get a feel. The "baby AMG" had quite a kick, something I miss from previous cars, but the E400 was clearly the better, nicer, smoother-riding (even with the adjustable suspension set to comfort in the C43), finer, more enjoyable car.

However, as the new model refresh, I'd be looking at ~$80k optioned as I'd like. I have other things I'd like to do with that money first.

I realize I'm asking this on an MB forum, but any cross-shopping thoughts? I'd consider the Audi A5/S5, though I've only driven an A4 before. I'm not a huge BMW fan. I don't know much about newer-model Lexus offerings. Basically, my current E350 is perfectly drivable and still a nice ride. I'd like to get something with AWD and newer, but it doesn't have to be done tomorrow. I'd love an S coupe in the end. But in the meantime, I'd like to stay in more reasonable numbers, including my trade-in value (~$15k).
I crossed shopped a S5 Cab with an E400 Coupe for my wife. We were trading a 2013 E350 Cab with 23k miles in. Went with the MB. Two very different cars. Not regretting it at all.
Old 12-22-2017, 04:57 PM

Received 68 Likes on 49 Posts
2017 E400 Coupe & 2018 GLC43
The new RS3 is quite the package - ungodly fast too at 3.5 seconds to 60. Audi does offer some really nice interiors and the biggest plus - you won’t see yourself at another traffic light. Unique car.
Old 12-25-2017, 11:46 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
'13 S5 Coupe
Being a current S5 owner, I'm not all that impressed with the new model ... specifically the overbite hood and the adaption of the garmen style nav/multimedia screen ... and I really don't understand the need for the sportback model, but that's just me. However, as was the case when I was cross-shopping the '13 S5 and E-Coupe, the S5 has a bit more power, and ultimately I based my decision on which car I thought would be the most 'fun' ... whatever that means. I'm currently debating the E400C4, but have the same observations ... the E is a bit more of a cruiser, and although it has seen a slight increase in HP over the out-going model, it still lags behind the S5 in that department. The current C-Coupe is much better than the '12/'13 model years I was looking at when they were first offered in 4Matic versions, but I have read too many concerns/complaints in the C43 forum - mainly fit and finish issues- plus the overall stiffness which you touched on. Haven't auditioned the Burmester in the C, but I found the Burmester in the E to be one of the better stock systems I've heard (only complaint about the B&O in the Audi is a wish for a bit more bottom end, but at least its not a Blows). I looked at the RC when it was first introduced, but I couldn't get past the intrusive transmission hump which your right leg would constantly be aware of. Also, the RC is a closer competitor to the A5 than the S5.
As far as reliability goes ... the Audi has only seen but one day in the shop to address a 'notchy' feel in the steering wheel which was addressed shortly after purchase, and has been completely worry free since then. Only real complaint is that I think I've only achieved the gustimated 28mpg highway once in five years of ownership ... something I think is also a potential problem with the E (unless you stay in Eco mode all the time). In the end, I'm holding out for the '19 E-Class to see if they get the kinks worked out of the COMAND system, plus I really want to see if the U.S. market ever gets the (now available in ((at least)) the U.K. and Dubai markets) Rubellite coupe available with the 20" multispoke wheels. It probably won't be until '20 ... if at all ... until we see the E53 variant.
Old 12-25-2017, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by 4MaticCoupe
Being a current S5 owner, I'm not all that impressed with the new model ... specifically the overbite hood and the adaption of the garmen style nav/multimedia screen ... and I really don't understand the need for the sportback model, but that's just me. However, as was the case when I was cross-shopping the '13 S5 and E-Coupe, the S5 has a bit more power, and ultimately I based my decision on which car I thought would be the most 'fun' ... whatever that means. I'm currently debating the E400C4, but have the same observations ... the E is a bit more of a cruiser, and although it has seen a slight increase in HP over the out-going model, it still lags behind the S5 in that department. The current C-Coupe is much better than the '12/'13 model years I was looking at when they were first offered in 4Matic versions, but I have read too many concerns/complaints in the C43 forum - mainly fit and finish issues- plus the overall stiffness which you touched on. Haven't auditioned the Burmester in the C, but I found the Burmester in the E to be one of the better stock systems I've heard (only complaint about the B&O in the Audi is a wish for a bit more bottom end, but at least its not a Blows). I looked at the RC when it was first introduced, but I couldn't get past the intrusive transmission hump which your right leg would constantly be aware of. Also, the RC is a closer competitor to the A5 than the S5.
As far as reliability goes ... the Audi has only seen but one day in the shop to address a 'notchy' feel in the steering wheel which was addressed shortly after purchase, and has been completely worry free since then. Only real complaint is that I think I've only achieved the gustimated 28mpg highway once in five years of ownership ... something I think is also a potential problem with the E (unless you stay in Eco mode all the time). In the end, I'm holding out for the '19 E-Class to see if they get the kinks worked out of the COMAND system, plus I really want to see if the U.S. market ever gets the (now available in ((at least)) the U.K. and Dubai markets) Rubellite coupe available with the 20" multispoke wheels. It probably won't be until '20 ... if at all ... until we see the E53 variant.
hasn’t this command system been around for 1 yr already? If there’s any bugs, a firmware update should fix it.