E-Class Coupe (C207) & Cabrio (A207) 2010-: E250CDI Coupe, E350 Coupe, E350CDI Coupe, E500 Coupe, E550 Coupe [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Wheel hop, which I now have for some reason

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-06-2022, 12:58 AM

Received 177 Likes on 150 Posts
E550 Coupe 2wd (2016)
Wheel hop, which I now have for some reason

Not sure what happened, but one day last week my car suddenly wheel hops now, and bad! It's never done it before, nor has any MB I've had, or any non-leaf spring car I've had. I didn't even think it was physically possible. Searches here show nothing so I may have yet another issue that is unique to me and my car? I could see it if some bushing or mount gave up the ghost, but it seems fine. I guess I'll have crawl under it and see if I broke something.

Meanwhile I thought I'd post to see if it's happened to anyone else, and hopefully a known and easy fix. I tried adjusting tire pressure up down, 26 to 36. Not that I really thought it would help but it was an easy experiment.
I can gas it in a turn and it spins both tires normally, but from a stop, or a roll if I'm going straight, it happens the moment they break free,
Can't tell if it's just one side or not, just that's violent! It even does it in the rain, which really surprised me.

2016 E550, M278, rear wheel drive. Not lowered or any parts swapped out, oem shocks, wheels etc. It has ~56k miles now
Continental Continental Extreme Contact Sport 265/35 18, which I've had for 5 months now.

Old 11-06-2022, 11:42 AM

Received 124 Likes on 100 Posts
2018 E400 Coupe
Could the problem be due to a bad shock absorber?
Old 11-06-2022, 01:42 PM

E550 Coupe 2wd (2016)
I can't imagine it could be a shock(s). Not sure it could wheel hop even if the shocks were drained of oil. Plus, aren't these mono-tube deflective disc shocks? Those basically don't wear out, only leak, which mine have not.
I dunno, I never looked closely at my shocks so maybe they aren't, but they would have to fail in a very short time and cause wheel hop when they do, so I can't imagine.
If a linkage or bushing was bad I'd imagine I'd feel it, and probably see it in the alignment. It has the classic neg camber of bushings getting squished, but just the normal amount.
Thanks for the re Judge
Old 11-08-2022, 04:47 PM

Received 152 Likes on 121 Posts
2012 E350 Cabriolet now SOLD to my son
possible rear diff issue. Check for correct fluid, correct fluid level, If it does it only not on turns then might not be diff. Sounds like the clutch in diff isnt working correctly
\OT but is the rear diff in the E550 cab or coupe electronically controlled .?..if so then the control box, wiring etc may need investigating

Last edited by WRC-LVR; 11-08-2022 at 04:51 PM.
Old 11-08-2022, 09:57 PM

E550 Coupe 2wd (2016)
I can't imagine, it's oem and doesn't leak.
It's supposed to be open diff, but who knows because 99.5% of the time it acts like a posi, but not that .5%. So kinda like that electric setup where it can turn off, but pretty sure that's an AMG only toy.
Either way, I don't see how posi or not would make a difference. I'm racking my brain and all I can think if is a broken sub-frame mount or bolt.
For now I adjusted my power so it won't break the tires free in a straight line, but not the fix I was looking for >: |

Old 11-10-2022, 12:43 PM

Received 152 Likes on 121 Posts
2012 E350 Cabriolet now SOLD to my son
Originally Posted by Chevota
Not sure what happened, but one day last week my car suddenly wheel hops now, and bad! It's never done it before, nor has any MB I've had, or any non-leaf spring car I've had. I didn't even think it was physically possible. Searches here show nothing so I may have yet another issue that is unique to me and my car? I could see it if some bushing or mount gave up the ghost, but it seems fine. I guess I'll have crawl under it and see if I broke something.

Meanwhile I thought I'd post to see if it's happened to anyone else, and hopefully a known and easy fix. I tried adjusting tire pressure up down, 26 to 36. Not that I really thought it would help but it was an easy experiment.
I can gas it in a turn and it spins both tires normally, but from a stop, or a roll if I'm going straight, it happens the moment they break free,
Can't tell if it's just one side or not, just that's violent! It even does it in the rain, which really surprised me.

2016 E550, M278, rear wheel drive. Not lowered or any parts swapped out, oem shocks, wheels etc. It has ~56k miles now
Continental Continental Extreme Contact Sport 265/35 18, which I've had for 5 months now.
Spinning both tires in straight line= could be limited slip. Spinning the inside tire in a turn means it is not limited slip or LSD is damaged. check the data sheet or have Konigstiger pull it.
Other reasons for wheel hop are damaged half shafts or cvjoints in the half shaft. Bad struts loose suspension components, bad rear sway bar links or bushings
You may want to get it on a lift and check everything out with a large pry bar. While it is up there, if you have had the rear diff fluid checked or changed recently, check for correct fluid level and type

Last edited by WRC-LVR; 11-10-2022 at 12:49 PM.
Old 11-11-2022, 07:24 PM

E550 Coupe 2wd (2016)
The data sheet said no. The only info about the diff is code "HA" that confirms the car has an rear axle. Maybe that's their way of saying it's rear wheel drive?
Then there's "950" AMG Sports Package, which I don't know what all includes but I seriously doubt a better diff. Plus 10K in upgrades per the sticker price, like option P02 and others that don't appear on the VIN search.

So to see if I could force a one-legger, I gassed it mid way into a left a turn to. I gave it less gas than usual to give the left wheel a better chance to break. Nope, they both broke free. Then mid-slide I let off just a bit to see if the right would catch first. Nope, they caught together. It's incredibly hard to control power with an elect throttle and wastegate. Lifting the pedal a mere 6% cost 140 ftlbs. Stupid electronic crap.
I also lightly power braked it at a light yesterday, spinning them to 12mph, but nothing. I did this exact same thing several times the previous week, including in the rain, and it hopped violently.

I was thinking about that .5% it seems to one leg, which was maybe three times ever. I've never been able to spin one wheel in a burnout, it's when one wheel catches mid-slide that makes me think that. Now that I think about it, it could've been ESP. When it catches mid-slide I'm too busy recovering from this disaster to notice an ESP light, at least I assume. So did it one-legged, or ESP and I didn't notice? Probably the latter now that I think about it.
Old 11-12-2022, 08:12 AM

Received 390 Likes on 270 Posts
13 s212 63 p30. 03 s55amg. 06 LX470
Are you sure you’re not just feeling the effects of constant skidding tires and burnouts destroying your tires? I like to drive fast and do the same and the tires get choppy really fast. Just corded the last set of dws06 at 12.5 k and the new tires purchased last week ride like a new car. You’re placing uneven wear all over the tires so do not expect it to be or feel round or smooth.

Good luck.
Old 11-13-2022, 02:05 AM

E550 Coupe 2wd (2016)
The tires only have maybe 6k on them and pretty much look new. Despite spinning them here and there, it's very little compared to other vehicles I've had simply because this car can't spin them very easily or very fast. I rarely have the opportunity anyway so it rarely happens.
Thanks for the input. All thought are welcome